Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Happy Holidays Gift Exchange 2019 - Gifting is Done!

Comments

• LMC6255LMC6255 Posts: 940 Member
    edited November 2019
    ADWilson wrote: »
    For those wishing to share sneaky peek pictures, feel free to send them my way (via PM).

Hopefully when I finish more I will be able to send you a better sneeky peek! ;) The tomato basil soup sounds like delicious, I still wish it would get even colder than 70's, but 70's are good! :)
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    @Kesminlix Stay warm, too. :)

@Hidehi Awesome! Do you have several builds planned? :)

@ADWilson I took you up on that. :lol:

@GraceyManor You can do it! :cookie:

@LMC6255 Aw, Thank you! :mrgreen:
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Sorry about the visit from the Reaper, @Hidehi!

I live in Texas so I don't have to drive in that white stuff, but we actually had snow in the forecast today and below freezing temps. Brr!

My latest build has made much progress. It now has doors, windows, wallpaper (which may change), and even furnishings, some of which has even been CASted, though that too is subject to change.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    I finished build working on part 2
  • Mystik1978Mystik1978 Posts: 1,613 Member
    I love seeing all the chatty and everyone getting excited about their progress! I can't wait to check everything out!

Sim On!

tumblr_nzuk3eJKF61shfh2eo1_400.jpg
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Those of you who are new, or who haven't done so in the past, should definitely take Addy up on her offer to look at your sneaky peeks. She'll sooth your nerves if you're having a crisis of confidence in what you're making, knows quite a bit from experience about what some in the exchange enjoy, and may have a helpful suggestion or two. Besides, she has fun getting to see everything ahead of time. :D
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Great thing about these, we get to keep a copy. :lol:
    I always hated it in school when we did random gift exchanged. I wanted what I bought. :blush: I didn't play well with others. :cookie:

@Rflong7 You gave me a good laugh. :D These end up being great community gifts that bring a lot of joy in a lot of sims games.
    Hidehi wrote: »

Just checking in @ADWilson :)

1 gift done, another one on the way ... all is going well ... except a small setback involving my tester sim and the Grim Reaper :#

@Hidehi Now, I think we should have a picture of that! (If you can blur out the background, I guess) :D

@Mystik1978 Hello there :) Can't see whatever fun picture you sent our way, dear.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    @GraceyManor sometimes it helps to use the low fencing to map out where you want paths and walkways to meander, and the delete the fencing once you have the path painted down or placed with flooring tiles.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    @GraceyManor sometimes it helps to use the low fencing to map out where you want paths and walkways to meander, and the delete the fencing once you have the path painted down or placed with flooring tiles.

Yeah, and when you don't have anyone moved in, using floor tile on the edges means your can cover the terrain quicker (as you don't have to worry about going too far because it won't paint under the floor tiles) and you don't have to worry about losing money from selling the used tile back that you didn't plan to keep. :wink:
    ciane wrote: »

Yeah, and when you don't have anyone moved in, using floor tile on the edges means your can cover the terrain quicker (as you don't have to worry about going too far because it won't paint under the floor tiles) and you don't have to worry about losing money from selling the used tile back that you didn't plan to keep. :wink:

Can't you do the same with terrain paints?
  • KesminlixKesminlix Posts: 252 Member
    edited November 2019
    This is about all I got done today on my build...
    SvJvESW.jpgMade you look! :trollface:
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Me, too! I'm wondering if they'll like it or if I'm making something I like. I've read the buddy letter several times but still,l I don't know.

Great thing about these, we get to keep a copy. :lol:
    I always hated it in school when we did random gift exchanged. I wanted what I bought. :blush: I didn't play well with others. :cookie:

That's exactly what keeps stalling me out with my gift. I have an idea for what my buddy would like but I keep sprinkling in unrelated stuff that I would like and then I have to go back and clean it up. I feel like I should just build my unrelated idea and get it out of my system so I can focus.
  • SamelaRitaSamelaRita Posts: 1,007 Member
    It's been a while since I checked in on the site! There's a lot to catch up with...I've done the:
    Start something.
    Yes, it's a good idea and should fit my buddy.
    No, this is nothing like what they might want.
    Re-read letter.
    This does tick their boxes.
    But I still think it's no good.
    Pull self together and speak firmly to self.
    Why not build (thinks of most inappropriate build for buddy)?
    Because they won't like it!
    So what's wrong with this one?
    Nothing really...I just got a bit nervous :blush: (hangs head slightly and heads back off to computer).
    And now I'm on the: Just get on with it, and go back to the bits I'm not sure about later, when I'm not so wrapped up in it.

@JessabeansThose photos were amazing! Was that a covered bridge in one of them? We don't have those here in the UK, so I wondered.
    @Kesminlix Snow dump! Aaargh! Hope the hot chocolate was good. We've had a massive rain dump, with major flooding in some areas (not ours, thankfully. We live a way up from the river, and it wasn't our river anyway), but no snow.
    @Hidehi Oh no! The grim reaper and a tester! Terrible! I haven't got to the testing stage yet, but I'll watch out for him...
    @Rflong7 There is a queue of people waiting to get their hands on admire your gift for your buddy. I don't think you have to worry about it being no good. Or not wanted. Or not admired...
    @GraceyManor I think you should get a medal for fighting and conquering First Time Nerves! You've done it - built something :D Be impressed with yourself.
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn I'm putting fences in when I get to the garden part! (don't think mentioning a garden is too much of a giveaway...)
    @Puddinroy Glad to hear that your build is coming together nicely :)
    @ADWilson Liked the cookies. Liked them a lot. Went and looked in the biscuit tin, but for some odd reason they hadn't materialised there...
    @ciane I am really looking forward to seeing what you create this time!
    @60smusicluvr Hope your work schedule lightens up a bit for you!
    @Mystik1978 Nice to see you dropping in!

And now (once I've dealt with the laundry, the defrosting freezer, the needs-emptying dishwasher, the beds and so on) I'm heading back into my own builds. Have a great day, everyone.
    @SamelaRita I pretty much go by the same list of doubts and emotions as you do and I am certain your buddy will love whatever you make for her! Just keep having fun and don't let anything stifle your creativity! :)
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    edited November 2019
    Good Morning!
    Since I've seen posts by @Puddinroy and @Jessabeans discussing their project progression (there might have been pictures involved during one of these conversations behind-the-scenes), I'm going to go ahead and check everyone in for this Check In.

Reminder: Next/Final Check In is November 26th. By that point your building should be done or almost done so you can test your build ... take pictures ... prepare ideas for gift presentation.

As always, feel free to PM me with questions/concerns or if you want to show off the beautiful gift you've made and are proud of ... and rightfully so!
    Post edited by ADWilson on
    LMC6255 wrote: »

Sorry, I wasn't clear about that. I was talking about using the terrain paint; but using floor tiles on the edging instead of the fencing that @Mmdrgntobldrgn mentioned. The fencing is a great guide and easy to delete later. The floor tiles are also a great guide and you don't have to paint as carefully. (Think sheets taped on the wall edges when (spray) painting a room in real life rather than just a strip of painter's tape. You can work faster and not be as careful. There is a wider margin of error granted.) The downside to using tiles is that it will flatten the terrain it is sitting on. So it's great for driveways and paths that are level, but not for sculpted terrain.

I might be guilty of building and decorating in a way that I hope pleases both the recipient and myself. My number one rule for creating art is that it also has to please me. If I'm not happy with it, it isn't something I want to create. So, I have to find something I think we'd both like. I'm tempted to CASt this last build two different ways. So, once all the playtesting and upgrading is done and the lot is saved to the library. I'll go back in and CASt it for a whole new look.

In other words, if you'd like something added; and your buddy didn't specifically request it, but they didn't say NOT to add it or that they didn't prefer it, then add it. (But, that might depend on just what you planned to add.)
    I might be guilty of building and decorating in a way that I hope pleases both the recipient and myself. My number one rule for creating art is that it also has to please me. If I'm not happy with it, it isn't something I want to create. So, I have to find something I think we'd both like. I'm tempted to CASt this last build two different ways. So, once all the playtesting and upgrading is done and the lot is saved to the library. I'll go back in and CASt it for a whole new look.

In other words, if you'd like something added; and your buddy didn't specifically request it, but they didn't say NOT to add it or that they didn't prefer it, then add it. (But, that might depend on just what you planned to add.)

This is pretty much me, too. I'm much more likely to make something likable (and actually finish it, I guess) if I like it, too. And, you know, thinking of it from the receiving end, I also like to see things that have been built in the creator's own style. I can make myself things (most things) that are pretty much exactly what I had in mind, but I get excited seeing new things I hadn't thought of.

My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
    Checking in. We lost power yesterday where I’m at.
    :) Smile!

• MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    Puddinroy wrote: »
    Checking in. We lost power yesterday where I’m at.

Hope everything is going well for you today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When in doubt a stroll through a buddy's favorite's collection on their mypage can sometimes be helpful than a roam through their studio. ;)
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    edited November 2019
    LMC6255 wrote: »

Sorry, I wasn't clear about that. I was talking about using the terrain paint; but using floor tiles on the edging instead of the fencing that @Mmdrgntobldrgn mentioned. The fencing is a great guide and easy to delete later. The floor tiles are also a great guide and you don't have to paint as carefully. (Think sheets taped on the wall edges when (spray) painting a room in real life rather than just a strip of painter's tape. You can work faster and not be as careful. There is a wider margin of error granted.) The downside to using tiles is that it will flatten the terrain it is sitting on. So it's great for driveways and paths that are level, but not for sculpted terrain.

I agree with you completely! If my heart is not into what I'm building and I don't like it, it isn't something I want to create.. Sometimes, I find that I have to find a creative solution because that person's play style is different from my own and yes, I do have to find that middle ground that is pleasing to both my buddy and myself..

I have found that covering the area with a terrain paint before starting helps me tremendously with the parameter...However, the fencing sounds like great idea.. I think I will try that..
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited November 2019
    SamelaRita wrote: »

@JessabeansThose photos were amazing! Was that a covered bridge in one of them? We don't have those here in the UK, so I wondered.

Thank you (and thanks to everyone else, sorry I was out most of this weekend and haven't had much of a chance to write here.)

Yes it's just part of the walking trail there are sawn log benches inside so kids can look out the windows at the turtles and geese. I goofed didn't take any pictures without my daughter in them while on the bridge but the last one is us leaving it. I found a picture online that someone else has taken of the interior of it.
    c5a78f328b866e83a7124edb0abaa45a5636dbe9.jpg

@ADWilson I was hoping to check in this afternoon because I'm spending the morning on my gift but I'm happy to be checked in. I'm not as far as I would like to be but I'm sure I will have it done in time.
  • SamelaRitaSamelaRita Posts: 1,007 Member
    Ooh, I thought, scrolling round the garden and downstairs, I've totally finished something.
    Umm, said my inner editor, aren't you going to do upstairs as well?
    Ah.

Okay, so I've given away the garden and the upstairs now.
    Hope my buddy hasn't guessed yet that it's for them...
    SamelaRita wrote: »
    Ooh, I thought, scrolling round the garden and downstairs, I've totally finished something.
    Umm, said my inner editor, aren't you going to do upstairs as well?
    Ah.

Okay, so I've given away the garden and the upstairs now.
    Hope my buddy hasn't guessed yet that it's for them...

I hope you find your inner editor helpful.. Mine is starting to get on my nerves!! :#
    I've at least CASted through the whole building once now. Time to go feed the kids, though it is literally freezing out!

Have fun!
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi!

@Puddinroy Hope you all are okay now.

Well, I did have to adjust sizes. Everything was too small. :cry: :whine:
    @Puddinroy Hope you found some ways to pass the time yesterday and maybe stay warm. It seems something has happened to me over time, where I now run on electricity. ;) If I don't have any, the only thing I can do is sleep and hope to wake up and find the lights on again.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top