Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The New Phantasmal Reading Circle - closed (Continued on another thread)

Comments

• katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    Firande wrote: »
    @katrinasforest It really is! I didn't like the vampires genre much in the game, never played anything but realism gameplay for TS1 and TS2... then after a lot of contemplation I got TS4 vampires and I've been hooked on supernatural saves ever since, hehe. I did always love Buffy the Vampire Slayer with a big, big passion, so I guess my love for vampires in the game shouldn't be TOO surprising. :joy:

I haven't done anything with my novel, nope. In fact, I haven't really gotten to work on it in years. Between work, university and now my Sims stories, I just haven't found the time for it. The closest I've come is using my novel's universe and characters for my university Creative Writing course, and writing something vaguely reminiscent of a cohesive story that I once considered putting on this blog of mine... but the 'novel' itself never evolved beyond a whole bunch of character sheets and attempted (and then discarded) universe building as well as a whole lot of context-less drafts and drabbles of dialogue LOL. I never even got to fix down on the plot... I have fixed characters whom I love a lot, but their setting and plot is subject to dramatic change. I actually have like 3 alternative universes that I can't choose between... it's bad. :joy:

What about you and your novels?

That's awesome that you're all caught up! Sorry to hear comments aren't sending. I've had that issue on others' Wordpress blogs too, where it'd just give this screen with "comment not sent." Usually for me it just took hitting the return button which had my comment still there in the text box, copying it, and reloading the page and pasting the text and see if it'd work then... sometimes, it takes a few tries LOL. Wordpress isn't the most stable with commenting, it seems. :frowning:

Hmm, questions... I've been super caught up in my midterms week with take-home exams so I haven't gotten to focus on my story for a good while.. But I guess for now my first question is: How did you like Season 1? Do you think Calo's arc came to an even minimally satisfactory conclusion or did you really miss Tika's presence there?

I'll add some more throughout the week. :blush: I also do hope to publish at least two chapters this week, even if that will be challenging what with my midterms needing some desperate attention right now. :joy:

@Firande I liked how Calo's arc concluded at the end of this season. It wasn't what I was expecting, but that's part of what I liked about. I enjoy stories when things go in a different direction than I would of guessed, but I can still look back over everything leading up to the events and go, "Yeah, it actually does make sense that it would happen that way." I hope to see more of Tika, of course. But there's always the second season. :)

Usually Wordpress is nice to me. It might have been because I had the tabs with the chapters open, read them, and then came back a while later to comment. (Bad habit of mine; I'll start multiple things at a time and often finish none of them. >.< )

That's really impressive you're getting writing of any sort done between mid-terms and exams. I tried to write regularly during classes but that was the hardest time of the year to make it work.

I put out one novel this summer, a middle grade book called My Best Friend Runs Venus. I've been toying with the idea of turning Clanbuilding for Dummies into an original humor novel. I also have a YA vampire novel that's mostly finished, just touching up the ending. (That's the one Allie features in.)

Have you ever tried National Novel Writing Month? (aka NaNoWriMo)? It can be really helpful for pushing through writer's block. :)
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    Firande wrote: »
    @katrinasforest It really is! I didn't like the vampires genre much in the game, never played anything but realism gameplay for TS1 and TS2... then after a lot of contemplation I got TS4 vampires and I've been hooked on supernatural saves ever since, hehe. I did always love Buffy the Vampire Slayer with a big, big passion, so I guess my love for vampires in the game shouldn't be TOO surprising. :joy:

I haven't done anything with my novel, nope. In fact, I haven't really gotten to work on it in years. Between work, university and now my Sims stories, I just haven't found the time for it. The closest I've come is using my novel's universe and characters for my university Creative Writing course, and writing something vaguely reminiscent of a cohesive story that I once considered putting on this blog of mine... but the 'novel' itself never evolved beyond a whole bunch of character sheets and attempted (and then discarded) universe building as well as a whole lot of context-less drafts and drabbles of dialogue LOL. I never even got to fix down on the plot... I have fixed characters whom I love a lot, but their setting and plot is subject to dramatic change. I actually have like 3 alternative universes that I can't choose between... it's bad. :joy:

What about you and your novels?

That's awesome that you're all caught up! Sorry to hear comments aren't sending. I've had that issue on others' Wordpress blogs too, where it'd just give this screen with "comment not sent." Usually for me it just took hitting the return button which had my comment still there in the text box, copying it, and reloading the page and pasting the text and see if it'd work then... sometimes, it takes a few tries LOL. Wordpress isn't the most stable with commenting, it seems. :frowning:

Hmm, questions... I've been super caught up in my midterms week with take-home exams so I haven't gotten to focus on my story for a good while.. But I guess for now my first question is: How did you like Season 1? Do you think Calo's arc came to an even minimally satisfactory conclusion or did you really miss Tika's presence there?

I'll add some more throughout the week. :blush: I also do hope to publish at least two chapters this week, even if that will be challenging what with my midterms needing some desperate attention right now. :joy:

@Firande I liked how Calo's arc concluded at the end of this season. It wasn't what I was expecting, but that's part of what I liked about. I enjoy stories when things go in a different direction than I would of guessed, but I can still look back over everything leading up to the events and go, "Yeah, it actually does make sense that it would happen that way." I hope to see more of Tika, of course. But there's always the second season. :)

Usually Wordpress is nice to me. It might have been because I had the tabs with the chapters open, read them, and then came back a while later to comment. (Bad habit of mine; I'll start multiple things at a time and often finish none of them. >.< )

That's really impressive you're getting writing of any sort done between mid-terms and exams. I tried to write regularly during classes but that was the hardest time of the year to make it work.

I put out one novel this summer, a middle grade book called My Best Friend Runs Venus. I've been toying with the idea of turning Clanbuilding for Dummies into an original humor novel. I also have a YA vampire novel that's mostly finished, just touching up the ending. (That's the one Allie features in.)

Have you ever tried National Novel Writing Month? (aka NaNoWriMo)? It can be really helpful for pushing through writer's block. :)

I'm glad you liked Calo's conclusion! Tika will definitely be appearing lots, in Season 2 most of all even though he may not show his best side there... he'll get better (& importantly, a better parent LOL) soon. :blush:
    Wow so you actually published novels? That is... very impressive, wow. I wish I had. You should totally turning Clanbuilding into a novel! It'd be such a good, funny read. :blush: What program do you use for writing? Just Word or Office or? Are you the kind of novelist who plans things out beforehand or wing it? You have any tips on universe building and all that? :sweat_smile:

National Novel Writing Month... is that only in November? If so... I do struggle a lot writing when I also have uni, so for me really the only months I have really been able to work on my novel have been holiday months like July and August. :sweat_smile: I'd love to participate in this November thing, but I've been so swamped with my midterms that I cannot even think of doing any writing right now.
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
    edited November 2019
    @Firande Thanks! I learned a lot from the process (not the least of which was that I really, really need to work on promotion before the book's release, not after.) So I'll be taking some of those lessons to heart when I go to work on an original version of Clanbuilding. I'll be sure to post if/when it gets off the ground. :)

November is the main NaNoWriMo event, but they also do something called Camp NaNoWriMo in I think May and July (or maybe May and August...?) It's like NaNoWriMo, though it doesn't get as many participants, and it's a little more laid back. You set your own word count goals rather than pushing for the standard 50k. I've been doing more Camp NaNoWriMo than regular NaNoWriMo lately. ^_^;;

If you have the chance to read chapter 21 this week, I'm curious what you think of the little twist there:
    http://www.fanfiction.katrinasforest.com/2019/10/04/clanbuilding-for-dummies-chapter-21

If you need an off-week, though, no worries. I know the time of year is crazy.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
    @katrinasforest

I can't wait to read it!!

Thanks for the info... the July/May/August one sounds more like something for me... and it fits better with my schedule too, haha, so I'll be looking out for that! Thanks! :blush:

I just read your chapter 21 and.... WOW! Is all I can say... I'm... first of all, how the heck did you manage for all those Sims to turn at the exact same time! :scream: That's the best kind of timing I've ever seen, LOL. And man did it make for an amazing screenshot. The cat... is the last thing I was expecting. I absolutely love your creativity - how you come up with things like this, I don't know... but I absolutely love and adore it. :blush: I'm really curious what this means... does this mean Elliot will win after all?! I'm guessing it does... I knew it! I love how he and the gang actually managed to outsmart Miss H. That's honestly what I was expecting is they'd come up with some very out of the box thinking like they've shown a great capacity for before - especially Kyle! - and it'd completely twist things around... but the way it was done... wow! I'm amazed!

Sorry for the latish response - I just finally finished my midterms LOL... it was a tough road, but I'm there.

If you have any more questions, I'd love to hear them! :blush:

fgQIHTb.png
    Actually, the simultaneous turning wasn't too bad. After they'd all been bitten, I went to a totally different house and just sped through 3 days with a teenage vamp who did nothing but go to school and hibernate. Come back to the household those three were in and they all turned at once. The game isn't always nice to me, but for this instance, it was. :)
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    edited November 2019
    @katrinasforest @Firande @simscognito
    Just dropping in to say hello and see how things are going. I miss you guys and the Circle but I know coming back (again) will just be a mistake (again.) But I thought I'd let you all know that Chapter 3 of Bloodline is still being reworked and there's no timeframe as when it will be reposted... but, Stars and the Sun will get an update soon-ish... and with that, I leave you with a little gift...

49038632907_de5b9e970b.jpg11-07-19_6-02-10 PM by nyterose20032000

Guess who and what happened :p
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
    @simscognito @katrinasforest @Firande
    Throwing another plot bone but this time for Bloodline... ;)>:)
    [url="49051016116_5076ce4f80.jpg
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Hey, dropping by to say hello and to let you know I'll be back this Friday. Looking forward to catching up on your simlits. <3
    @simscognito Friday? That gives me five days to finish Star's update, talk about a rush job :p But I can get it done...if I stop staring at hot vamp men ;)
    I said I was leaving for good, but I miss you guys too much :'(
    NyteRose wrote: »
    @simscognito Friday? That gives me five days to finish Star's update, talk about a rush job :p But I can get it done...if I stop staring at hot vamp men ;)
    I said I was leaving for good, but I miss you guys too much :'(

@NyteRose We miss you too! <3

And yayyy looking forward to the update. And lol. Can't get enough of hot vamps. XD
    Yea, everybody's back! No worries, we held the fort down while you were gone. And I only raided the fort's cookie pantry (as we know, all forts have them) a little bit. ^_^

@Firande I just got back from my convention, which I know wasn't the same thing as mid-terms, but it sure felt like it. I did nothing but prep my panels for weeks. So lots of stress relief all around. And now that my brain's got some free space, I realize I totally left your question about my writing app of choice unanswered. Personally I love Scrivener for my novel writing, but for the comic, I just use OpenOffice. Somehow I'm able to keep the events for the comic in my head, but when it comes to my novels, I need Scrivener to help me organize. Probably because I tend to write long-winded first drafts and then come back and revise them to death later. Whereas the comic I'm kinda forced to plan out ahead of time.

I believe it's your week this week. Did you have any questions about your latest chapters?

@NyteRose Sweet pics! You always take awesome screenshots. :)
    This bad penny is back :p
    I can't post links to my updates directly and I don't think I can list my stories' chapter titles even without links... I'm still waiting to hear back from a mod on that. But I think the best (and easiest) way for everyone to get updates is to just follow my Wordpress.
    edited November 2019
    @simscognito Thanks :)
    My updates will be a few days late because of some health issues. Sorry.

EDIT- turned Jas into a vampire through the magic of MCCC and did a photoshoot with her since I was feeling a touch better. Here's of the several shots I took (I love that darn Vampires and Roses pose pack to death, lol.)
    49071069671_74533465f5.jpgstandingcloseup2 by NyteRose Shadowthorne, on Flickr
    Post edited by NyteRose on
    NyteRose wrote: »
    @simscognito Thanks :)
    My updates will be a few days late because of some health issues. Sorry.

EDIT- turned Jas into a vampire through the magic of MCCC and did a photoshoot with her since I was feeling a touch better. Here's of the several shots I took (I love that darn Vampires and Roses pose pack to death, lol.)
    49071069671_74533465f5.jpgstandingcloseup2 by NyteRose Shadowthorne, on Flickr

@NyteRose oh dear. I hope you start feeling better soon.
    Oooh vampire Jas. I love the lighting in this shot and the colour scheme. It really sets the mood.
    Yea, everybody's back! No worries, we held the fort down while you were gone. And I only raided the fort's cookie pantry (as we know, all forts have them) a little bit. ^_^

Firande I just got back from my convention, which I know wasn't the same thing as mid-terms, but it sure felt like it. I did nothing but prep my panels for weeks. So lots of stress relief all around. And now that my brain's got some free space, I realize I totally left your question about my writing app of choice unanswered. Personally I love Scrivener for my novel writing, but for the comic, I just use OpenOffice. Somehow I'm able to keep the events for the comic in my head, but when it comes to my novels, I need Scrivener to help me organize. Probably because I tend to write long-winded first drafts and then come back and revise them to death later. Whereas the comic I'm kinda forced to plan out ahead of time.

I believe it's your week this week. Did you have any questions about your latest chapters?

NyteRose Sweet pics! You always take awesome screenshots. :)

@katrinasforest ooh how exciting. Hope you enjoyed the convention even if it was stressful. What an incredible experience. Was this your book launch?

@Firande I just got back from my convention, which I know wasn't the same thing as mid-terms, but it sure felt like it. I did nothing but prep my panels for weeks. So lots of stress relief all around. And now that my brain's got some free space, I realize I totally left your question about my writing app of choice unanswered. Personally I love Scrivener for my novel writing, but for the comic, I just use OpenOffice. Somehow I'm able to keep the events for the comic in my head, but when it comes to my novels, I need Scrivener to help me organize. Probably because I tend to write long-winded first drafts and then come back and revise them to death later. Whereas the comic I'm kinda forced to plan out ahead of time.

@NyteRose Sweet pics! You always take awesome screenshots. :)

That is so cool!! Also, thanks for the information. :blush: I'm sorry for the late response... I've been so swamped this week. I know this week is already almost over, but maybe just one question:

Do you think Tika has it in him to actually make it in Del Sol Valley... or not? :sweat_smile: LOL.

@NyteRose Awesome that you're coming back!! That is great news. <3

@simscognito YAY YOU'RE BACK! I MISSED YOU. <3

fgQIHTb.png
    Who's week is it this week? I *think* it may be me but I was the last one in, so not sure.
    @NyteRose I think it's your turn this week.

@Firande I'll catch up on your story and answer your question as soon as I can.
    edited November 2019
    Okay, since it's my turn up... I have a few questions for you guys.

1.) What did you think of the prologue and the chapters posted? (Chapter 3 is still being fixed up.) What's your favorite thing about them (a line of dialogue, a scene, character, etc.) and why?
    2.) Who is eviler at this point? Do you think there's more to Vincent than a thirst for revenge and a hatred/distrust of witches?
    3.) Any theories who the second vampire I posted is? And what role(s) do you think he'll play?
    @NyteRose Working on catching up--hopefully will have answers to your questions later today. :)

@Firande To answer your question from last week (since I'm a big slowpoke this week), I think Tika could make it in Del Sol Valley if he started living in reality and blaming everyone else for his problems. (Though the chapter with him reading from his autobiography in contrast to what was actually happening was downright hilarious.) I like how your fic can transition between the humorous and the serious. I think it strikes a really good balance and lets readers experience a range of emotions.

The one thing I wonder about with my fic sometimes is that if it's all about the humor, maybe readers won't have as strong a connection to the characters. But I worry about lots of stuff I don't need to, so I generally assume it's another thing not worth obsessing over and try to keep writing. You're a great role model for that, too. ^_^;;
    edited November 2019
    Someone got temporarily turned into a vampire to test out some new CC I downloaded and I used a beloved pose pack...
    Guess who... :p (it's not Jas)
    49102479012_2135acd2a7.jpg11-21-19_4-28-48 PM by NyteRose Shadowthorne, on Flickr[/url]
    Post edited by NyteRose on
    Chapter eighty six: Sorry
    chapter-eighty-six-sorry.png?1574387863
    @NyteRose @Firande I'm a bit behind but I'll try to catch up on your simLits this weekend.
    @Firande caught up with Xaos.

Do you think Tika has it in him to actually make it in Del Sol Valley... or not? :sweat_smile: LOL.
    Hmmm knowing Tika's luck I really don't think so :D I have to agree with @katrinasforest that autobiography chapter was hilarious. :joy:
    @Firande caught up with Xaos.

Hmmm knowing Tika's luck I really don't think so :D I have to agree with @katrinasforest that autobiography chapter was hilarious. :joy:

It kinda reminds me of the beginning of Singin In The Rain.