Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's watch: The Sims 4 Discover University Deep Dive Livestream

Comments

• liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I'm disappointed we didn't get lip piercings. You'd think with faciel piercings that area would have the option but I love everything else. I love that sims can ride bikes together. I saw it in the interactions..

I love the wall showers. I totally wasn't expecting those.

I love the shower woohoo animations as well however it may look diferent in different showers eg shower tub combos.

I love that they added the option to have roomates.

I love that you can live in the uni world without being in college. This is a first in a Sims Game.

I love that we can go in a rabbithole stadium and watch a game.

Why would you want to live in a university world without being enrolled in school?

That's like saying no one can live in a town unless they attend its university...

yeah, imagine the fun of playing a local who gets annoyed at all the college students taking over their town. (which is a real life thing)
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »

I have no idea why they put this restriction on dorms, it doesn't make any sense.

Considering how long it takes for your Sims to eat food anyway, the stove restriction will only make things take a lot longer than is really necessary because of the travelling involved which is not really ideal if your Sims have a lot of classes and homework to complete, and I'm now wondering whether time management is going to be a fun challenge or is just plain annoying.

I'm hoping that the devs will reconsider the restriction and change it before the pack is released so that people won't have to rely on mods.

My dorm room in college was just big enough for a mini fridge and microwave, and we weren't allowed to use hot plates (even though some people did). And there wasn't any kind of kitchen in the dorm either. We had to go to the cafeteria or one of the little restaurants around campus. Or, order pizzas all the time which is what I did. lol.
    So this doesn't seem all that odd to me. If you really want a regular kitchen, live in a rental house instead of a dorm?

I do see the issue with traveling to the cafeteria though. They should have made the cafeteria accessible without a loading screen.

I've been reading the replies from Simmers who went to or are currently at university, and it's interesting to see how it changes depending on where you are. After asking some friends what their university housing included here in the UK, they told me it did include a kitchen. They did mention that is was pretty small, but otherwise had everything you needed for a fully functioning kitchen area.

Presumably, the main concern with multiple Sims being around stoves is setting themselves on fire, which is understandable and I get why dealing with that would be annoying to some. I don't mind dorms that don't have stoves already placed, but I would at least like the option to place one if I really wanted to. Having the choice for either is the best way to please us all.

And while I know I could live in a rental house or even just stay at home, I don't want to pass on the opportunity of having my Sims live in a dorm with roommates. It seems really fun and since I've never played a university expansion before, I'm excited to try it out - I just don't want my Sims living on a diet of mostly microwave meals lol.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

Thanks @SimGuruAzure for a insightful stream. I wanted to know everything about robots, it's the only thing that attracted me to this ep. I love that they are Servos (Sims 2 nostalgia). Yes, I wanted robots in my game since day one (as I sitll want more occults for my game).

First: I watched all the stream. Please simgurus, review this stream, it was a chaos, really disorganized and boring :/ The worst part is that it did not provide enought information about the pack. I know you can not show everything, but this stream was mediocre except for the robots information. Personally I do not like to waste time watching youtubers. I use my free time to play sims. Now I need to look for more info about this pack. Usually I just need the official stream to decide if a will buy or not a pack. For example: I wanted to know about the Secret Society (more Sims 2 nostalgia), what happened in the stream discouraged me about this feature :|

I enjoy this game. I know, it is not perfect. Nothing and nobody is ;) But something was really wrong this time.
  • TomatplanteTomatplante Posts: 2,793 Member
    emere wrote: »
    Thanks @SimGuruAzure for a insightful stream. I wanted to know everything about robots, it's the only thing that attracted me to this ep. I love that they are Servos (Sims 2 nostalgia). Yes, I wanted robots in my game since day one (as I sitll want more occults for my game).

First: I watched all the stream. Please simgurus, review this stream, it was a chaos, really disorganized and boring :/ The worst part is that it did not provide enought information about the pack. I know you can not show everything, but this stream was mediocre except for the robots information. Personally I do not like to waste time watching youtubers. I use my free time to play sims. Now I need to look for more info about this pack. Usually I just need the official stream to decide if a will buy or not a pack. For example: I wanted to know about the Secret Society (more Sims 2 nostalgia), what happened in the stream discouraged me about this feature :|

I enjoy this game. I know, it is not perfect. Nothing and nobody is ;) But something was really wrong this time.

I want to agree with this feedback and add that the lack of information available about the pack made this a super anticipated livestream, people's expectations were so high. Finally we were going to get a full overview and witness some Guru excitement! At least those were my expectations, and I was not very impressed. Please Sims team, when you build up so much anticipation by holding back on info about a new pack, at least make sure a long awaited livestream is high quality.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited November 2019
    I was never particularly interested in a university pack, but overall I was very happy with what I saw and think I will have lots of fun with DU. It looks great for storytelling and I am pleased that sims can be mature students and attend university from any world, which will be particularly useful for my sim families. I also like the idea of a roommate system, although I hope there is a way to create our own roommates. It's a bit odd to me that we can't have kitchens in university housing. At my university in the UK there were some halls without kitchens, but in my halls we had a reasonably sized shared kitchen and even our own little en suite bathrooms. I can work around this though and I do love the look of the new world.

I enjoyed the livestream, but I did find it a bit disorganised and boring at some points with just a little too much focus for me on robots. I wanted to know more about the different degree subjects, careers, secret society and BB, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I'm not fussed about robots, but they do look fun and I am glad we finally have a career for handy sims. I also love the other new careers and CAS, although I am disappointed that there doesn't seem to be any new traits. I was expecting at least one to make some interesting personalities. I hope the new aspiration has a useful reward trait at least. The bikes look great and I hope we get bikes for child sims and exercise bikes too in the near future.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    yes I would have preferred a llama mascot to that crab thing (was it a crab? I wasnt paying enough attention there).

It was a lobster, but at least a llama mascot would be a bit closer of an animal mascot to FOXbury Institute, even if it's still not a fox. :p
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I thought it looked good, though I'm not familiar with juice kegs. Must be an American thing?

Other than that, I was disappointed with the rudeness and stupidity of the chat.

@calaprfy It isn't really a "juice" keg in real life, it is a beer keg. You can see them when you do a web search.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
    ....We ate at the 'Rat'; it was quicker than making our own food and (more importantly) free on the meal plan. Plus, no clean-up.

@invisiblgirl wow, been a LOOOOONG time since I heart the Rat. Makes me wonder if we both attended the same school - Sunny No Place.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
    lisamwitt wrote: »

I have no idea why they put this restriction on dorms, it doesn't make any sense.

Considering how long it takes for your Sims to eat food anyway, the stove restriction will only make things take a lot longer than is really necessary because of the travelling involved which is not really ideal if your Sims have a lot of classes and homework to complete, and I'm now wondering whether time management is going to be a fun challenge or is just plain annoying.

I'm hoping that the devs will reconsider the restriction and change it before the pack is released so that people won't have to rely on mods.

My dorm room in college was just big enough for a mini fridge and microwave, and we weren't allowed to use hot plates (even though some people did). And there wasn't any kind of kitchen in the dorm either. We had to go to the cafeteria or one of the little restaurants around campus. Or, order pizzas all the time which is what I did. lol.
    So this doesn't seem all that odd to me. If you really want a regular kitchen, live in a rental house instead of a dorm?

I do see the issue with traveling to the cafeteria though. They should have made the cafeteria accessible without a loading screen.

I've been reading the replies from Simmers who went to or are currently at university, and it's interesting to see how it changes depending on where you are. After asking some friends what their university housing included here in the UK, they told me it did include a kitchen. They did mention that is was pretty small, but otherwise had everything you needed for a fully functioning kitchen area.

Presumably, the main concern with multiple Sims being around stoves is setting themselves on fire, which is understandable and I get why dealing with that would be annoying to some. I don't mind dorms that don't have stoves already placed, but I would at least like the option to place one if I really wanted to. Having the choice for either is the best way to please us all.

And while I know I could live in a rental house or even just stay at home, I don't want to pass on the opportunity of having my Sims live in a dorm with roommates. It seems really fun and since I've never played a university expansion before, I'm excited to try it out - I just don't want my Sims living on a diet of mostly microwave meals lol.

@PlanetSixam you can use the cheat to add a stove if you want to. Should I purchase DU I would add washers, dryers and hampers, because Laundry is my favorite stuff pack and college/uni would not be complete without having to do your laundry. Oh and fire alarms, extinguishers and thermostats.
    edited November 2019
    @Tomatplante it might help the stream if they have gurus who have more energy. I don't mind that the one controlling the mouse was a builder, as I love to build and spend more time building than playing, even though I am not that good at building. However, she was soooooo boring and wasn't listening half the time. Also I agree with what another simmer said, cull questions from the forums and take maybe a few from the live stream, that way they are prepared ahead of time with answers.

Anywho, I know Carl will pull together a meaty guide soon. His video walkthrough of the live stream is helpful. And he did it in 20 minutes.
    <iframe allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="270" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IRS0shmXqbE" width="480"></iframe>

Yeah I have no idea how folks are embedding videos
    https://youtu.be/IRS0shmXqbE

I have watched a few of the live streams (well not live) on YT and I fast forward through quite a bit because I find them boring. Unless it is moderated by that enthusiastic woman they are boring to me.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    troshalom wrote: »
    ....We ate at the 'Rat'; it was quicker than making our own food and (more importantly) free on the meal plan. Plus, no clean-up.

@invisiblgirl wow, been a LOOOOONG time since I heart the Rat. Makes me wonder if we both attended the same school - Sunny No Place.

I don't recognise 'Sunny No Place'. Mine was a very good, small college in the South. (Bit of language trivia - in the US, a school that does not offer post-graduate degrees is a 'college', not a 'university'.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited November 2019
    alan650111 wrote: »

Really? I think "with honors" applies to how well a person does in college. For example I would get "honors" by graduating with A average. I still find that distinguished degrees seems like the developers' way of simulating a higher degree than bachelor's. That is what I got from it at least.
    Yeah I think it was showing a Bachelor's degree with the distinguished degrees. You have to have at least a 3.5 GPA to graduate with honors which I did with my Bachelor's of Science in Business degree which is about an A/B average. Then again can always take Sims back to school to get a double, triple, etc. degree in other subjects it seemed like.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    @PlanetSixam you can use the cheat to add a stove if you want to. Should I purchase DU I would add washers, dryers and hampers, because Laundry is my favorite stuff pack and college/uni would not be complete without having to do your laundry. Oh and fire alarms, extinguishers and thermostats.

I already know about the cheat, I've been using that one a lot in Realm of Magic lol. :D

I'm sure someone mentioned that if you placed a stove in a dorm, it would stop it from functioning as a dorm and you'd have to select another lot type for it to work.

Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member

I already know about the cheat, I've been using that one a lot in Realm of Magic lol. :D

I'm sure someone mentioned that if you placed a stove in a dorm, it would stop it from functioning as a dorm and you'd have to select another lot type for it to work.

Yes that's right; that is a design choice and will have to be modded out if you don't prefer this.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited November 2019
    Foodie sims are gonna love the uni experience...
  • TerrifeTerrife Posts: 1 New Member
    Are teen sims able to now graduate high school before going to college with sims 4 university
  • TastyO818TastyO818 Posts: 14 New Member
    What skills do you guys recommend for a distinguished psychology degree?
    edited November 2019
    Pipe organ & gourmet cooking! Jokes aside, I think i could definitly gamble on logic... potentially charisma?
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Holiday wrote: »
    Just home from work, 10 minutes to go, woohoo! No time to cook dinner tonight as I am going to be watching this, take away anyone? :lol:

Who else is ready for 10 minutes of woohoo?
    edited November 2019
    That's around 9 more minutes than I can handle :(
    Post edited by Dijktafone on
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    yes I would have preferred a llama mascot to that crab thing (was it a crab? I wasnt paying enough attention there).

It was a lobster, but at least a llama mascot would be a bit closer of an animal mascot to FOXbury Institute, even if it's still not a fox. :p

aha I never even thought of that, should have been a fox! I rather like foxes too.
  • Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    Did we get any new whims?
  • butterflyxgirlbutterflyxgirl Posts: 427 Member
    @Evie0602 Not that I could see in the stream. It makes me kinda sad, sometimes I like doing those.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited November 2019
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    Did we get any new whims?
    I signed up for Twitch just to ask that. At one point there were many others chiming in to ask about whims. (They didn’t answer)
    They had whims turned off, which happens by default, I get that... but whims have been neglected for a while now and it’s very sad.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    TastyO818 wrote: »
    What skills do you guys recommend for a distinguished psychology degree?
    As far as lot traits, I would highly recommend peace and quiet to assist with some of the Uni Lot traits to help gain skills during uni.

As far as skills, probably wouldn't hurt to level up charisma, logic, and writing I think. Pack isn't out yet so won't know for sure, but these are the skills we have now that probably would help towards that.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller