Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are You Buying Discover University?

Comments

• Options
    DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    Maybe
    Why of course! I would never consider purchasing a pack without a full review of what new sits it has to offer!
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    edited November 2019
    Yes
    Tenchi2a wrote: »
    Dijktafone wrote: »
    I went from 'absolutely' to 'maybe' in a single livestream span. I'll wait and see what LGR and Carl have to say about it, and decide afterwards.

You mean the reviewer who doesn't sugar coat or defend EA, so he lost his early access.
    He's my favorite review also.

Please let's at least wait until LGR releases his review before starting to bash the other reviewers. 😀
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Yes
    If I do it do, I will only pay $20 or less for it. From the little I have seen and read, it is not worth the full price. I have other games that are more worth full price to buy first.

Well this pack must be doing something right. Usually you're only willing to pay $5. :p

You owe me a new monitor.
  • Options
    WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    Yes
    It gives me more to do more with my elders then just painting masterpieces and baby sitting the grand kids. Student Loans to work off after leaving college so there's a challenge to ward off the repoman. And if I really don't want to live on any of the campus they have the option of staying home where there would be more activities for them to do.
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Maybe
    Despite kids not being able to ride bikes (How lame is that?! Kids are the biggest riders of bikes in RL.), I am relieved that you can ride them in the other worlds. I doubt a mod will be able to add this, because there would need to be interactions made to fit the size of the Sims, and mods typically can't do that. For instance, you don't see mods that allow kids to use exercise equipment, and if they glitch and go on it, their arms and legs go Slenderman.

I am also extremely jacked that roommates are available for all residential lots. I was hoping that some of the classes would be semi active and you could do them in the same manner as the Semi Active Careers, thus simulating a class that was very non classroom oriented. I'm not all that disappointed that we can't sit in the classroom and pay attention, or sleep, heckle, etc, because those are about all the options, and that does get boring after you've done it once a day for a week with multiple students and terms.

I will be getting it in a bundle with ROM and Moschino SP. I may not load ROM in any of my Saves that have Sims that I don't want to be spellcasters. I assume that's still a thing...does anyone know if MCCC has a way of stopping that?

@BabySquare I don't know if there is a typical time frame for discounts, but I did get Island Living a week ago for half price on an Origin Sale. I hadn't seen it before that, so it did take awhile. It seems like I've gotten Expansions half price sooner, but it may depend on how well it sells, too. I imagine this one will sell pretty well. There was a 30% discount quite awhile ago on IL, tho. I doubt Discover Uni will be discounted until at least the After Christmas Sales. If you get a Bundle, you save $20 in the US, so it is like getting the Expansion half price and the Game and Stuff Pack full, or the Game Pack free, etc. Origin won't let me preorder Uni with a Bundle, FYI.

Thanks for the info. :)
    I wouldn't be able to get it until after xmas anyway, and money's so tight atm I'm really looking for 50% off (and even then it's a bit of a stretch) so maybe January sales if I'm lucky.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Yes
    BabySquare wrote: »
    Despite kids not being able to ride bikes (How lame is that?! Kids are the biggest riders of bikes in RL.), I am relieved that you can ride them in the other worlds. I doubt a mod will be able to add this, because there would need to be interactions made to fit the size of the Sims, and mods typically can't do that. For instance, you don't see mods that allow kids to use exercise equipment, and if they glitch and go on it, their arms and legs go Slenderman.

I am also extremely jacked that roommates are available for all residential lots. I was hoping that some of the classes would be semi active and you could do them in the same manner as the Semi Active Careers, thus simulating a class that was very non classroom oriented. I'm not all that disappointed that we can't sit in the classroom and pay attention, or sleep, heckle, etc, because those are about all the options, and that does get boring after you've done it once a day for a week with multiple students and terms.

I will be getting it in a bundle with ROM and Moschino SP. I may not load ROM in any of my Saves that have Sims that I don't want to be spellcasters. I assume that's still a thing...does anyone know if MCCC has a way of stopping that?

@BabySquare I don't know if there is a typical time frame for discounts, but I did get Island Living a week ago for half price on an Origin Sale. I hadn't seen it before that, so it did take awhile. It seems like I've gotten Expansions half price sooner, but it may depend on how well it sells, too. I imagine this one will sell pretty well. There was a 30% discount quite awhile ago on IL, tho. I doubt Discover Uni will be discounted until at least the After Christmas Sales. If you get a Bundle, you save $20 in the US, so it is like getting the Expansion half price and the Game and Stuff Pack full, or the Game Pack free, etc. Origin won't let me preorder Uni with a Bundle, FYI.

I wouldn't be able to get it until after xmas anyway, and money's so tight atm I'm really looking for 50% off (and even then it's a bit of a stretch) so maybe January sales if I'm lucky.

Sure thing! There are a fair amount of give-aways going on, so maybe try entering a few if you're ok with it. Good luck if you do, and I hope it goes on Sale if not. I know what it's like waiting for content, haha. But I am, at least, pretty behind most of the time. For instance, I'm all absorbed with IL right now, so that helps. With the Bundle and that in relatively short time, it will be a feast at the end of somewhat of a famine, haha. I hope it all runs smoothly.
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Maybe

Sure thing! There are a fair amount of give-aways going on, so maybe try entering a few if you're ok with it. Good luck if you do, and I hope it goes on Sale if not. I know what it's like waiting for content, haha. But I am, at least, pretty behind most of the time. For instance, I'm all absorbed with IL right now, so that helps. With the Bundle and that in relatively short time, it will be a feast at the end of somewhat of a famine, haha. I hope it all runs smoothly.

Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Maybe
    After watching some Game Changer videos, I am leaning more towards "yes". It actually looks like time management in University could be a welcome challenge.

I am not happy with what I am hearing about rotational play, however. Especially since 5 of the premades are students, and they are in three different households. Since I like to play all the premades, I would have no choice but to move all the students into one household in order to play them all through university. Otherwise they will just graduate with average grades.

I am still bummed that kids can't ride bikes, but I hope eventually that will be added.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yes
    I preordered it.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    If I do it do, I will only pay $20 or less for it. From the little I have seen and read, it is not worth the full price. I have other games that are more worth full price to buy first.

Well this pack must be doing something right. Usually you're only willing to pay $5. :p

I may wait for it to be that low in price, my teen bought the last few packs with her own cash because she wanted them. I have not purchased a pack since City Living. If my kids wanted it, they bought it.
  • Options
    gemjasgemjas Posts: 211 Member
    edited November 2019
    Maybe
    I just watched a few Game Changer videos, and now my answer has changed to "yes." I've gone back and forth with this pack, unsure if it would be worth the $40, especially since that would be a big spend for me. Now, I'm pretty sure it would be something that I'd really enjoy. I already picked out the Sims I wanted to send to Uni, but now I'm actively planning for them to go instead of it being a "maybe" kind of deal.

I kind of had it in my mind that this pack would just be an endless stream of rabbitholes with very little gameplay (I was one of the few hoping for active classes), but now I see that there are actually things to do, lol. And, even with the rabbithole classes, the time management system does look like it could be interesting it its own way. Plus, I've just decided that I have to have a servo-bot immediately.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Yes
    I’m disappointed that children can’t ride bikes, but i’m hoping there will be a pack soon where they can. I would like a big pack concentrating on children and toddlers, maybe they could include that in a farming pack, after all farming families are likely to be big.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Yes
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I’m disappointed that children can’t ride bikes, but i’m hoping there will be a pack soon where they can. I would like a big pack concentrating on children and toddlers, maybe they could include that in a farming pack, after all farming families are likely to be big.

The Sims 4 Tots To Teens GP. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Yes

The Sims 4 Tots To Teens GP. :)

I know you're half-joking, but I think such a thing may be the case, seeing as bike riding is tied to their most expensive tier of DLC. I can't imaging them making such a thing free. Certainly I'm not a fan of that practice, but that's how it goes sometimes with AAA titles.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Yes

Despite seeing some things in the livestream that I object to *cough*no stoves in dorms*cough*, they were outweighed by things I did like so I've changed my mind.

I will get it but I can't afford it, so I'll have to wait until it's SERIOUSLY discounted in a sale.

Well when I was in the dorms we weren’t allowed stoves either and we weren’t supposed to have microwaves or electric griddles there either. I did have a small fridge. We had to go to the cafateria to eat. I do hope that they change the food choices daily in the commons though, and they offer some healthy choices.

• Options
    Yes
    Despite seeing some things in the livestream that I object to *cough*no stoves in dorms*cough*, they were outweighed by things I did like so I've changed my mind.

I will get it but I can't afford it, so I'll have to wait until it's SERIOUSLY discounted in a sale.

Well when I was in the dorms we weren’t allowed stoves either and we weren’t supposed to have microwaves or electric griddles there either. I did have a small fridge. We had to go to the cafateria to eat. I do hope that they change the food choices daily in the commons though, and they offer some healthy choices.

There are still quite a number of schools, particularly large ones, where the concrete rectangle dorms that I experienced are still the norm. I'm pleased that the series is still following that model; it makes me feel strangely nostalgic.
  • Options
    Tony89Tony89 Posts: 2,196 Member
    if it wasn't for my mods, i wouldnt be as interested in getting DU, I really am curious to introducing the basemental mod to my college sims, and watching them battle hardcore partying and classes, that's going to be really fun!
  • Options
    KhrisstyneKhrisstyne Posts: 368 Member
    Yes
    I am. I play on console and I don't want to wait but if there are serious bugs then I'll wait lol I am excited!!
    AviaWinters.tumblr.com
    AviaTheDramaFiend.wordpress.com
    (not always sims related but I review and discuss television shows and movies. Foreign or not.)

I play on console and PC now! YAY!
  • Options
    July7601GirlJuly7601Girl Posts: 33 Member
    Yes
    i've been waiting for this pack since sims 4 was announced, so i have it preordered. not expecting much from it though, if i'm being completely honest.
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    No
    Not my cup of tea, so to say.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    Maybe
    Maybe. If it goes on sale. I just wonder if they will ever patch in (or feature in the next pack) some bunk beds that could be versatile in other kinds builds too. Not just dorms. I may also wait to see what some other reviewers say because thus far, I'm just not that impressed.

Like according to the livestream, the sports arena, graduation stage, teaching, and classrooms are all rabit holes. All of which are a big part of going to college, too. Some say though realistic, it could become tedious but If you don't want your sim in class, maybe they could opt. out and still get credit something like what's in the on-site careers in GTW and GF. It's also too bad EA didn't take advantage of providing sororities or fraternities as opportunities to add some additional fun gameplay, though you can probably remedy a little of that with some imagination, I guess.
    Either way, It will be Interesting to see more about the build stuff that is coming with DU in the upcoming video or trailer before purchasing it as I didn't see much in the trailer except for windows and artwork. Oh, and the small fridge.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • Options
    Maybe
    I was disappointed by all the rabbitholes, but I'm also really excited about everything else!

Yes, so many rabbit holes and buildings that are just for props because your sim can't really enter them!
  • Options
    Maybe

So far, it also seems a bit overpriced for what you're getting.
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    Yes
    As much as I am disappointed with the different aspects of this expansion I will still buy it. There are some things that I've seen that will be useful in my game such as the roommates among other things.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    simmersizzlersimmersizzler Posts: 36 Member
    Yes
    I'm surprised some answered no, it's all yes for me as well! I'm totally waiting on a sale, though fun to see all the in-game screenshots and videos from other gamers who have already been playing the university game!