Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

You can build dorms in any world!

alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
Wow. I was not expecting this. Plumbella mentioned how "University Housing" lot types were available in all worlds. You could essentially create another University in Newcrest or the like she says! What do you think of this feature?

Comments

• SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I think it's great. There were people already making plans to make parts of Windenburg and Newcrest into satellite campuses and they do fit quite nicely. It definitely opens up the gameplay that bit extra. :D
    The right side of Newcrest would be perfect for a Greek Row.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    Well, if you could have teens and or children live in the dorms, you could create your own boarding school, or even your own orphanage. I’m not sure if you can have that though. Though you might be able to have residential housing with roommates. The question is, can children and teens be roommates in them?

As far as another college, you could make some classrooms ( art, handiness, florist etc,). You could call them an art gallery and it could be like a vocational school. You could create a club for each of the vocations and send them there. This could at least work for teens as well as older.
    @SheriSim57 as far as i know it's only YA and up for Roommates, since they have to contribute to bills, which children can't do as they have no income. At least they won't be there as NPC roommates.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    @SheriSim57 as far as i know it's only YA and up for Roommates, since they have to contribute to bills, which children can't do as they have no income. At least they won't be there as NPC roommates.

Well at least you could make a vocational school for young adults then, I am assuming you could also change the commons to accommodate something like that too, if they let you change the commons. I wonder since you can make dorms elsewhere if you could make the commons and sports arena in another world too? The map didn't seem to suggest that though.
    The commons are two lot types, one for each uni. You can assign them to lots anywhere in the world but they will continue being uni-specific.
    The sports arena is unfortunately only a shell rabbit hole.
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    That's cool. The one thing I disliked before is you could only travel to University (not a big issue now as traveling in sims 4 doesn't bloat my files and you can travel to any world at any time); but this can come in handy. I hope any household can have roommates though,
    edited November 2019
    Yup, the Roommate option will be on any residential lot with available beds. You put out and ad and Sims show up, then you can choose who to invite to be your roommate, so you get a chance to get to know them & see if they're a good fit.

ETA: on lots of the University Housing type, the roommates will be automatic, you don't get to choose there.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Wow, that I didn't expect.

Does anyone know if we place the actual uni buildings (I think they're called the commons) in other worlds too? that way we could create regional campuses.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    Wow, that I didn't expect.

Does anyone know if we place the actual uni buildings (I think they're called the commons) in other worlds too? that way we could create regional campuses.

yes, those were also included
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    The only caveat for me is that there isn't a lot of available space for me to do this anymore in my main saves, but I'll mostly be focused on playing Uni on an alt save anyway. Both the commons and Uni housing are two diff lot types, so you'd have to sacrifice lot space for the commons and however many uni houses you want to place down. If only we had more lots...
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    This is awesome news! I just started a new save like a week ago, so lots of Windenburg has yet to get my usual redesign yet. But now I think I'm going to make the main hub of Windenburg into a satellite campus since in my mind it's pretty close to Britechester. I'm gonna add a sorority and fraternity house for each campus and delete that stupid library and some other buildings that I find to be kind of useless at the moment.
  • MoonfoxNightcryMoonfoxNightcry Posts: 296 Member
    So if I build three small homes on a 64 x 64 lot, can I add 2 roommates who occupy a small home each, while my main sim lives a normal, non-uni life, having kids etc?
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    So if I build three small homes on a 64 x 64 lot, can I add 2 roommates who occupy a small home each, while my main sim lives a normal, non-uni life, having kids etc?

So long as you have enough beds, yes.
  • MoonfoxNightcryMoonfoxNightcry Posts: 296 Member

So long as you have enough beds, yes.

Woohoo! I might actually buy this pack after all.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member

You can apply for roommates via the phone for residential lots. The "University Housing" lots can only populate sims in University.
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    That's kinda cool 😀

The Windenburg village area would be kind of good for a pretend campus.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • July7601GirlJuly7601Girl Posts: 33 Member
    i think it's odd that we have to ability to make university housing in any world, but not apartments, but it's still a cool feature nonetheless.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I was worried that dorms were going to be exactly like CL apartments (i.e. terrible) so its a pleasant surprise that Im free to build them. Especially since you can choose to have single gender dorms. Im definitely going to be building a couple sorority and fraternity dorms.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    i think it's odd that we have to ability to make university housing in any world, but not apartments, but it's still a cool feature nonetheless.

I mean with the new roommate system you can make unofficial apartments now right? Make a building with separate apartments, call up a roommate, and then make it so they’re restricted to their apartment, and boom! Instant apartment building! Do the trash chute and mailbox work outside CL apartments/penthouses though? 🤔
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

@AquaGamer1212 The trash chute is in build/buy and should work like any other bin, I think. Not sure about the mailboxes though, I don't think they are (and even if they were, you can't assign them to different people.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    edited November 2019
    @AquaGamer1212 The trash chute is in build/buy and should work like any other bin, I think. Not sure about the mailboxes though, I don't think they are (and even if they were, you can't assign them to different people.

Well I’d only need the mailbox to work for my sim as the roommates just pay you their share for the rent. I’ll have to test it to see if it counts 🤔

Edit: Found a forum post from 2017 saying that you can! You just have to find the mail box then place it and it counts for the mailbox and big trash can. Hopefully it still works!! 💙
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I have Cacti Casa, Oasis Springs and Factory One, Windenburg sitting empty. They would make great student homes.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited November 2019
    University of Britechester seems to be near Windenburg, so I will build a dorm in the old town.
    Foxbury Institute seems to be near San Myshuno, so I will replace a penthouse by a dorm.

In TS2, I've got a beach dorm so Sulani should get one too.
  • MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    It’d be nice if Get Together clubs could be added to the “Affiliations” tab in the dorm settings. That way we can make our own frats and sororities and only members could live there. If not, hopefully it can be modded.
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif