Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I feel like Maxis is ending the series on The Sims 4

Comments

• YBNS2468YBNS2468 Posts: 240 Member
    The Sims 4 will still be around for the next 3-4 years. That a fact now, They said it million times. So for all those who fantasize - The Sims 5 is not happening any time soon. (You may, of course, but it will only lead to disappointment...) And I think that's a good thing . I started playing this game 20 years ago and I don't know how but the minute they announced The Sims back in 2013, I knew that this time it won't be the same. That this version of the game will last more than 4.5 years.  And discovering that I wasn't wrong made me super happy. I bought the same expansions over and over, and somehow I knew that at some point EA would realize that it dosn't make any sense.

Don't you think it gets boring to work on the same things 4 times in a row??

I personally think that The Sims 4 is the best Sims game so far, so of course it makes me happy. Yes, there are loads of problems and things that are still missing compared to the previous games, Ifeel it too. And expansions feels much smaller-that's true. And it all takes a lot longer to develop ... but I'm sure that when those things will finally come back the result will be more impressive than anything we've seen before. It takes time to create perfection, this is how it works. And I prefer it that way it is now over the cheap animations and graphics we got with The Sims 3. (And don't get me wrong...I really enjoyed the Sims 3 after the first year or two even if it was my least favorite)

In my opinion Maxis finally achieved their vision for the perfect sims game when it comes to the visuals. It really feels like this is what they wanted the game to look like when they started working on The Sims 1, and I'm not complaining!!

And just to be clear , I don't think the Sims 4 is the last one in the series. Not yet. It's still a very successful franchise. Sims 5 will happen in the future But I do hope it won't happen any time soon. I've had enough. Sims 4 gave me everything I ever wanted and there's still SO much more they can add to the experience, and maybe one time we will get a sims game that feels COMPLETE..!!

P.S sorry for my broken english...😁😁
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2019
    YBNS2468 wrote: »
    The Sims 4 will still be around for the next 3-4 years. That a fact now, They said it million times. So for all those who fantasize - The Sims 5 is not happening any time soon. (You may, of course, but it will only lead to disappointment...) And I think that's a good thing . I started playing this game 20 years ago and I don't know how but the minute they announced The Sims back in 2013, I knew that this time it won't be the same. That this version of the game will last more than 4.5 years.  And discovering that I wasn't wrong made me super happy. I bought the same expansions over and over, and somehow I knew that at some point EA would realize that it dosn't make any sense.

I personally think that The Sims 4 is the best Sims game so far, so of course it makes me happy. Yes, there are loads of problems and things that are still missing compared to the previous games, Ifeel it too. And expansions feels much smaller-that's true. And it all takes a lot longer to develop ... but I'm sure that when those things will finally come back the result will be more impressive than anything we've seen before. It takes time to create perfection, this is how it works. And I prefer it that way it is now over the cheap animations and graphics we got with The Sims 3. (And don't get me wrong...I really enjoyed the Sims 3 after the first year or two even if it was my least favorite)

In my opinion Maxis finally achieved their vision for the perfect sims game when it comes to the visuals. It really feels like this is what they wanted the game to look like when they started working on The Sims 1, and I'm not complaining!!

And just to be clear , I don't think the Sims 4 is the last one in the series. Not yet. It's still a very successful franchise. Sims 5 will happen in the future But I do hope it won't happen any time soon. I've had enough. Sims 4 gave me everything I ever wanted and there's still SO much more they can add to the experience, and maybe one time we will get a sims game that feels COMPLETE..!!

I'm sorry to break it to you but that is no longer true. That statement was made by a guru 2 years ago, and they only said 3 not 4. Recently they just say they have no plans to end it soon, no actual year count.

I'd say TS4 has at most 2 more years, which hopefully is enough time for them to finish TS5 base game and hopefully it doesn't suck 🐸🐸🐸🐸. It's been confirmed more or less that they are developing the next AAA sims title through job openings released by EAxis, since 2 years ago, so it's just a waiting game now. Considering how much recycled content TS4 team has been putting in packs this year, I'd say they probably don't have a full time programming team working on this game anymore which means we're leaning towards the end. And personally I think it's time. TS4 has given everything that it could, they can't add big worlds like Windenburg anymore , the game is starting to have too many bugs and conflicting features, it's starting to lag in some areas...etc. It might look good, but the gameplay isn't.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    The thing about that statement about the next 3 years of plans for TS4? It said nothing to me about when this version's going to end. They make solid plans for 3 years ahead but no one said how often those planning meetings happen. For all we know, there was one this year and there are plans for another 3 years. SGDuke said he has ideas that could fill 5 more years of content (which, if it's 1 of each packs per year is not even that much and that's IF there is one of each packs in any given year).

I'm personally giving TS4 2 more years as a bare minimum, probably more though. They have just hired more animators and devs for TS4, which yeah, might mean that some of the current team is moving on to TS5 but also that they're nowhere near done.

I get the wish for TS5, whether or not TS4 is enjoyable, but at this point I think it's wishful thinking that it'll happen soon. I do believe there will be a TS5 but imo they're going to take their time after how TS4 started.
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

I'm sorry to break it to you but that is no longer true. That statement was made by a guru 2 years ago, and they only said 3 not 4. Recently they just say they have no plans to end it soon, no actual year count.

I'd say TS4 has at most 2 more years, which hopefully is enough time for them to finish TS5 base game and hopefully it doesn't suck plum. It's been confirmed more or less that they are developing the next AAA sims title through job openings released by EAxis, since 2 years ago, so it's just a waiting game now. Considering how much recycled content TS4 team has been putting in packs this year, I'd say they probably don't have a full time programming team working on this game anymore which means we're leaning towards the end. And personally I think it's time. TS4 has given everything that it could, they can't add big worlds like Windenburg anymore , the game is starting to have too many bugs and conflicting features, it's starting to lag in some areas...etc. It might look good, but the gameplay isn't.

Well...only time will tell, I guss. I still think this is the direction they are taking especially after the rebrand.

Just like you I hope for better and deep gameplay in the future. They cut to many corners lately... I don't see how another fresh start can solve this problem.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    The comment about "three more years" of Sims 4 was made as recently as earlier this year before or around the Strangerville release. For some reason, people seem to lose track of time when a few months go by. So, judging by fiscal years, because that's how EA does its planning, the first leg of those "three years" began in April of this year. So if we're talking about an accurate prediction, taking that statement literally, then Sims 4 has at least until the end of March, 2022.

Also, the original hiring ad that people speculate was for Sims 5, went out just last year, I think at beginning of summer.
    #Team Occult
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited September 2019

I'd say TS4 has at most 2 more years, which hopefully is enough time for them to finish TS5 base game and hopefully it doesn't suck plum. It's been confirmed more or less that they are developing the next AAA sims title through job openings released by EAxis, since 2 years ago, so it's just a waiting game now. Considering how much recycled content TS4 team has been putting in packs this year, I'd say they probably don't have a full time programming team working on this game anymore which means we're leaning towards the end. And personally I think it's time. TS4 has given everything that it could, they can't add big worlds like Windenburg anymore , the game is starting to have too many bugs and conflicting features, it's starting to lag in some areas...etc. It might look good, but the gameplay isn't.

I'll get you caught up: The 3+ year statement was made again only a few months ago. Also SimGuruDuke said last month that "We talk a lot about a three-year view. What are we doing over the next few years? What do we have planned? When I sit down with my design and production teams and we talk about what else we want to add to this game, we can still fill whiteboards with concepts and things we want to do. I look at that and go, 'Okay, we have plenty left to explore and add.' My technical directors are terrified when I tell them I want to build DLC for five more years. But if our audience is there and our community is asking for more, we certainly have the ideas." https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-08-23-the-joyful-representation-of-the-sims

Sorry to break it to you, but TS4 is lasting another 3-5 years at least.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    Icey-sims 4 can't last forever. People are already starting to get sick of Sims 4, and I think EA realizes that keeping sims 4 going for another 5 years would be a foolish decision on their part. They'll be likely to lose a lot of money and players if they do decide to keep S4 on life support,and I don't think EA even wants to take such a risky gamble.The best thing EA can do is to pull the plug on S4 in 2020 or 2021, and give players Sims 5. Otherwise,players would stop playing S4 and go on to other games like Paralives,Sims 1-3,etc.

Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited September 2019
    Icey-sims 4 can't last forever. People are already starting to get sick of Sims 4, and I think EA realizes that keeping sims 4 going for another 5 years would be a foolish decision on their part. They'll be likely to lose a lot of money and players if they do decide to keep S4 on life support,and I don't think EA even wants to take such a risky gamble.The best thing EA can do is to pull the plug on S4 in 2020 or 2021, and give players Sims 5. Otherwise,players would stop playing S4 and go on to other games like Paralives,Sims 1-3,etc.

I just gave you the facts. It's up to you whether you believe it or not. (By the way, 3-5 more years isn't forever ;) )

This reminds me of when a few simmers insisted that The Sims 5 would be announced last year. Even though EA kept saying repeatedly that this game would continue a few more years. No matter what evidence we gave, they just wouldn't listen. It's like plugging your ears and singing, "La la la la la, I can't hear you!" Lol.
    IceyJ wrote: »

I just gave you the facts. It's up to you whether you believe it or not. (By the way, 3-5 more years isn't forever ;) )

This reminds me of when a few simmers insisted that The Sims 5 would be announced last year. Even though EA kept saying repeatedly that this game would continue a few more years. No matter what evidence we gave, they just wouldn't listen. It's like plugging your ears and singing, "La la la la la, I can't hear you!" Lol.

Exactly.☺
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited September 2019

I'll get you caught up: The 3+ year statement was made again only a few months ago. Also SimGuruDuke said last month that "We talk a lot about a three-year view. What are we doing over the next few years? What do we have planned? When I sit down with my design and production teams and we talk about what else we want to add to this game, we can still fill whiteboards with concepts and things we want to do. I look at that and go, 'Okay, we have plenty left to explore and add.' My technical directors are terrified when I tell them I want to build DLC for five more years. But if our audience is there and our community is asking for more, we certainly have the ideas." https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-08-23-the-joyful-representation-of-the-sims

These aren’t really facts. Ok, the guru said that, there’s also comments from as early as May this year mentioning at least three more years, but I don’t see it lasting that long. And EA also have a say in time frame and content so... The game will have like 50+ packs by that time, there’s no way.

I say another year, tops. I don’t see TS4 lasting much longer once we get Uni and most likely Farming at some point. I can also see another occult or two being added, but that’s about it.

5 more years? Don’t see it happening, personally. No matter what the gurus say. EA can override them at any time. A lot can happen in a year.

—T
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    To7m wrote: »

These aren’t really facts. Ok, the guru said that, there’s also comments from as early as May this year mentioning at least three more years, but I don’t see it lasting that long. And EA also have a say in time frame and content so... The game will have like 50+ packs by that time, there’s no way.

I say another year, tops. I don’t see TS4 lasting much longer once we get Uni and most likely Farming at some point. I can also see another occult or two being added, but that’s about it.

5 more years? Don’t see it happening, personally. No matter what the gurus say. EA can override them at any time. A lot can happen in a year.

—T

The Guru saying that (and that's the Senior Producer on TS4 as of April) makes it as much a fact as we're ever going to know unless they release internal documents about production plans.

You say another year, that doesn't trump official comments from people actually in charge.

Say we "only" have University (this November, likely) and Farming as EPs. Two EPs a year isn't the standard, so it's likely that we have at least another year just of EPs that we have hints about. Then if we get two more occults, that's is two more GPs. Again, one a year is the usual and it was years between Vampires and RoM, so there's only a small chance that they'll all of a sudden decide to release occult-specific packs so close to each other.
    And then there's a slew of other themes that players have been asking for, family play focused etc.

The game sells. It's been discussed here enough that EA is interested in profitability. There's no reason for them to drop a game that continues to sell well. The only ways EA would drop TS4 and push for it to wrap up would be if it suddenly either became unplayable for the vast majority of players or if they had TS5 ready to go. As it is, they're aware off the plans that Duke mentioned (for 3 years ahead) so changing their mind sounds a lot like what you want EA to do instead of what they're likely to do.
  • TikaaniaTikaania Posts: 65 Member
    Sims 4 has the best graphics and runs smoothly, Sims 2 runned smoothly, Sims 3 was broken but I loved this game the best of all...it had endless gameplay. Sims 2 and 3 had the best Sims personalities. Sims 4 sims personalities dull, boring, flat, lifeless making the game dull boring flat and all the personalities is exactly the same no matter what traits you choose...no different outcome. Sims 4 does not have enough "meat"...gameplay...feels hollow, shallow. I miss world adventures as well. Sims 2 and 3 I could play for hours and hours without rest...it was that addictive. Sims 4 is tedious, everything is oversimplified and there are no consequences to your traits. In Sims 2 and 3 I had empathy with my sim and loved their stories, they felt like a part of my world. I really am seriously disappointed with Sims 4. I cannot play it its too boring. There is not much to do in Sims 4 and the sims are boring. Their personalities is boring. I have never felt bored with sims 2 and 3 and I think it is because of the traits, personalities that the sims has, story telling. There's also not a lot to do in Sims 4. I have all the packs of sims 2 and 3. The last 2 or 3 packs of Sims 4 I did not buy as it will only be 2 days of gameplay then it will just be boring. Can I have sims 2 and 3 back, but with Sims 4 graphics? We laughed so much in Sims 2 and 3...I was emotionally invested.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    It's best to wait until the Sims 5 is at least a few years old because there will be a whole new set of glitches & problems with it before it's eventually fixed. So, it's best to either be contented with playing Sims 4 or play something else.
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Bugs can be fixed, it plays fine for me for the most part and they even said we got at least a couple more years. It's not ending.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited October 2019
    It's still possible EA decide to do a new IP, a new generation of life simulator or something else designed for the Millennials/Gen Z.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member

I just had to quote this. These are my thoughts exactly. I definitely have my complaints and disappoints with this game and feel the "lack of" like everyone else but I love it and hope it goes for a looooooooong time. And because it's missing so much it really needs more years to fill in the gap. I think visual wise its PERFECT! Not too cartoony and not too real looking. Easy to make good looking sims and the worlds are amazing. ☺️☺️

I cannot see myself starting all over again, same thing over and over that I just brought with the sims5 when they didn't even complete 4. Plus that means we have to wait another 5 years just to get to where we are in the sims4 gameplay wise.😑
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • NeenzNeenz Posts: 44 Member
    I don’t think it’s the end of the Sims franchise just yet. There are many younger players who would love to see it keep going and will continue to purchase the packs. As to the content, I’m keeping an open mind on this. I know personally that one of the reasons I’m not playing as much is down to the fact that I’m a lot older than when I first started and so my gameplay ideas are very different. I love the look of the university pack but I’m not sure I’ll buy it. I’m more geared to the adult/elder/family gameplay now, so my opinions on the various packs will differ to other players here. I agree that there shouldn’t be as many bugs - a dedicated Applications team wouldn’t go amiss.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I mean I'm pretty sure 99.9% sure that the sims 5 is already in the works and has been for at least two years. EA/Maxis is hiring for the game as we speak and some of the sims gurus have already moved over to the new game. With that said, I fear for the sims 5. I've been a sims player since the sims 1 and the sims 4 is the only sims game I get bored playing after an hour. I wanted the sims 4 to be great. I saw the potential for them to make the game better but at every turn, they cut corners. They barley make new animations and constantly complain about it on twitter. Telling us how hard it is to make something that we have had in the past two sims games. It's like they don't want to put the work in or they're burnt out of they ran out of creative ideas, yet the whole sims forum gives them amazing ideas daily. We literally tell then what we would like to see, how they can improve gameplay, what seems to be lacking or missing all together but it feels like they ignore the community and then get mad that we're not happy with what their producing and if this continues into the sims 5 then it's going to be another disaster.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited November 2019
    EA about The Sims franchise : "we have plans to bring new experiences to its amazing players for a long time to come".

• munroelemunroele Posts: 286 Member
    I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing? No iteration will please everyone 100%. Everyone else's Golden Child, The Sims 3, is my least favourite. I don't like an open world or the way the sims look. I love the Sims 4, and if it ended here, I'd be okay with that. Modders really open the game up in ways the team can't, add features from previous games that weren't exactly missing or major features, just small things that are easy to miss. The CAS is gorgeous and CC creators (and recolouring people, like myself) all work hard to add variety, and I would be devastated to have to move on, because my favourite creators have disappeared.

I don't understand the hate for this game. The engine is simply NOT built for all the things people desire, like an open world, colour wheels or cars. There is always the Sims 3, if you want those things. The Sims 4 is FAR from perfect, but it has a loving community, including me, and it is vibrant. It gets better with every patch and bug fix.

If Sims 5 is coming, so be it, but I am not ready for it, at all.
  • SimsBroSimsBro Posts: 134 Member
    edited November 2019
    The engine is not built like that due to dev choice, pure and simple. Sims 4 could have been a far more technologically advanced game if the devs had that in mind when building it - and certainly would be able to run far better with less than TS3 thanks to better, more modern hardware.
    Sims 3 runs pretty poorly due to faulty optimization, which they could have worked around for 4.

My main pet peeve with 4 is lack of features that have been present in older titles, not having Create a World, which was already in TS2 a whole decade before TS4 is pretty embarassing, for example. Nevermind the Color Wheel.

In the end, it just feels really weird when a sequel turns out to be far less ambitious than its predecessors, despite having better tech at its disposal.
    Now, I do enjoy 4 a lot, but it does say something when most times I only see people praising its visuals and style over the other games in the series when it comes to what they like best.

Anyways, I highly doubt EA would just let one of its main cash cows died so easily, especially when so far we have nothing else to fill the niche. Most other games that have life sim features to them are nowhere near as deep/content heavy as The Sims eries.
  • Jo_n534Jo_n534 Posts: 38 Member
    Personally, I think it would be weird choice for the company if they decided to stop the Sims franchise. It is still extremely popular, and they have been making money off of recycled ideas for years now. How many franchise or companies can do that without getting major backlash and revenue loss?

And I don't want to speak for other people, but personally even if they come up with a Sims 5 that combines the graphics from Sims 4 with Sims 2 gameplay I would still applaud them for their innovation like a total idiot, and continue throwing money at them for the next 5 years Sims 5's life span. This is easy money for EA.

On that note, I don't think they have started developing much for Sims 5 yet. There is still some juice left in Sims 4, but as someone mentioned in the previous posts they can't keep Sims 4 around for much longer. People are getting dissatisfied and bored, mostly because of the way Sims 4 works, it won't be too long before people tire of Sims 4 and its expansion packs and I think the Sims team is realizing that.
  • July7601GirlJuly7601Girl Posts: 33 Member
    i could have sworn that i read something somewhere about sims 5 being confirmed and while i'd bet it was just a rumor i think it'll likely be a thing regardless.
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited November 2019
    I think this article from the Game Spot clarifies things: https://gamespot.com/articles/eas-live-service-games-are-bringing-in-a-lot-of-mo/1100-6468785/

This article lists TS4 as a live service. It discusses how EA monetizes all of its games. We may not like EA's business model, but it is a business out to make money. The gaming industry as a whole has moved towards micro transactions and other ways to monetize their games, such as stating a game is "free" when in reality it isn't to get any real playability out of it you gotta pay pay pay. Same with software companies moving to the subscription platform.

Believe it or not EA/Maxis has already groomed simmers for a micro transactions world with giving lil freebies with each DLC release. Soon folks will be ok with paying a subscription because it means you constantly get updates, new content, more playability blah blah blah -- when in reality it is just piece mealing out content and game play that would come in EPs/SPs/GPs etc.

Another key part of the article talks about EA moving parts of its development to Switzerland for tax relief. EA choosing to move development to Austin, TX could be for tax abatement. Texas has lower taxes than Cali and a lower cost of living. Texas is a very pro business state.

I don't know when or if TS5 will come. But I don't think The Sims will totally die (I could be wrong tho, because Sim City was huge and loved and they managed to kill it, kill it bad). The Sims makes a lot of money for EA and since they are hiring for TS4 and this not named Sims title, I think EA has future plans for the franchise.

I honestly think with the 20 year anniversary coming up in 2020 that they may save an announcement until then, especially given how secretive they have been lately.

Also, this article from Venture explains the live service model and why gaming companies are moving towards it. By reading it, it helps to understand that the way the Sims was developed in the past may not be the way EA delivers it in the future: https://venturebeat.com/2019/03/04/this-chart-explains-why-publishers-are-chasing-live-service-games/
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    aprilrose wrote: »
    If they do call it quits after Sims 4 I honestly wouldn't mind it. I have been a fan for 20 years but honestly the game has run out of steam, excitement, gameplay and depth.

@aprilrose maybe it's because they keep recycling old things they have done and not focused as much on doing some things they have never done before. Honestly, they should just include many features in a base game (like Paralives is planning to do) and then EXPAND the game in ways that simmers have not anticipated. Wow us. And there are ways they can do that. I think the horse has been beat enough on recycling old packs from previous Sims releases.

To me StrangerVille brought alot of excitement because it was something new. Some resisted the change, others embraced it, and still others wanted more than they got. I want to see where they can go and still not be a carbon copy of the ultra violent games that are out there.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱