Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University Exp - $14 cheaper in all Canadian stores vs Origin client.

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
Another expansion and again EA via Origin is charging Canadians $12+ more for a digital purchase then what they charge for their newest expansion in retail stores.

To clarify, the Canadian retail price for ALL Sims 4 expansions (including University) is $39.99, this is EA's official suggested retail price, not a sale price. However due to auto regional pricing the EA digital Origin client charges Canadians $51.99 plus some random $2.60 in tax (which btw makes no sense, its not pst, gst or hst). Costing you $54.59 for a digital purchase if you go that route.

Buying a physical copy in Canada will save you $10+ after tax no matter where you live in Canada.

The game can be purchased for $39.99 usually with free shipping or bought in-store at places such as ebgames/gamestop, Amazon, Walmart, Bestbuy, ect, ect. Most of these retailers will have the game release day, pre-orders usually arrive a few days early to your house.

Outside of a easy digital download, there IS NO advantage to buying on origin, you don't get an early release, you can't pre-load and there is no extra bonus. Unless you live in a very rural area with no shipping or it will cost you $10 in travel fees of course.

It just really annoys me that Origin/EA is still charging more for their expansions online then in retail stores in Canada.

So if your looking to save money without waiting for a sale, this is the way to do it for Canadians.

https://www.ebgames.ca/PC/Games/776352/the-sims-4-discover-university
Post edited by TOLKIEN on

Comments

• Options
    The link for amazon is available now if you prefer to buy via them, again only $39.99 vs EA's Origin Clients $51.99.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07Z8R49Q2?pf_rd_p=46535598-d2e0-4bc4-8392-182d8c1e93fc&pf_rd_r=GCVV9S3DG7V11ZXM28WY
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    Never thought of this. I probably won't buy DU, but this could save me a ton of money in the future.

Thanks, guy.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    Bestbuy link if you prefer them, only one missing is Walmart but it will eventually go up or be in-stores in time for release

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/the-sims-4-discover-university-expansion-pack-pc-english/14298944
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    Might I point out that there's no physical CD if you buy in-store? All you get is a code to download it on origin. Either way it's a digital download. I haven't seen any Sims 4 packs in any store in ages. The stores seem to cater to other non-PC gamers
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Might I point out that there's no physical CD if you buy in-store? All you get is a code to download it on origin. Either way it's a digital download. I haven't seen any Sims 4 packs in any store in ages. The stores seem to cater to other non-PC gamers

Thats not new, EA hasn't put a DVD in a retail case for ages. However its not about owning something physical, its about saving nearly $14 on your purchase. For some young simmers making maybe minimum wage at their first job (across Canada) thats an hour of work for them, which they save if they don't buy it directly from Origin.

Its not about being a PC gamer, its just about finding the best deal and saving yourself some money. Honestly no excuse for EA to be charging $14 dollars more for a digital product then it sells in retail stores which requires a lot more overhead and makes them less return.

For myself I can take that $14 I'll save and put it towards Age of Empires 2 Definite edition releasing on Nov 14, which retails for $19.99. Its all about budgeting money and obviously I'll save money that I can put towards that game now.
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »

There are some players out there who want the physical copy to fill their collection. That and the game is for teens, some may not have a card to pay online via origin. I used to buy physical before I finally changed to digital.
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    Really now? Well I was planning to get DU in a bundle with RoM. However after hearing about the glitches of that pack, I might just preorder it for cheaper from Amazon and get RoM on sale with a holiday sale instead.
  • Options
    For those interested, the physical edition of this expansion (University) includes a dvd in the case, not just a code.
  • Options
    RachyRooRachyRoo Posts: 3 New Member
    Thank you for this info! I was wondering why the Canadian prices had gone up a while ago, didn't think to look in the stores. Wouldn't have thought they'd have been a cheaper option :) :) :) Why pay more if you don't have to?
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I agree with TOLKIEN. I only buy Expansion Pack games in the EB Games at the mall for me & my daughter. Online buying is too expensive. I would buy the Gamepacks in the store instead of online if I had a choice.