Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's watch: The Sims 4 Discover University Deep Dive Livestream

Comments

• ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Eh, I'm pretty happy with it. I'm not bothered by the microwave/kitchen issue. I only had a proper kitchen in one of the buildings that I was in and then I had to walk to another building for meals most of the time when on campus. I guess it's meant to help sims value the home-cooked meals of their parents more or cooking for themselves when they move out. Dorm food does tend to be "grab and go" in a lot of places.

It looks like you can just change the setting of the building and then invite in roommates if you want to allow for full kitchens. I think the idea is that if it's university owned, then there are fire safety rules. You can burn your own building down with a stove now but not the university's housing. I'm just saying that there are workarounds and it's not a big deal to me. It's a way of allowing players to need to manage their sims' schedules between studying and various needs.

I am interested in how rotational play works but I'm guessing that your other sims just become NPCs and that you just play one university student at a time unless you move several into off-campus housing together.

The world looks better than Del Sol Valley, I can work with it. I agree that it would be nice to have a desert university for continuity for desert sims given that there are several desert worlds. This world is like a blend of England and Massachusetts, which is nice. I like the swimmable water, though if its based on those places, it will be cold most of the time. It might have been nice to have a couple more dorms or a third campus but I can work with this. I was expecting we might just get one.

I like the inclusion of the quirky Elderberry family and that YAs through Elders can go to university. Elders can do two credits in some random subject that interests them.

I do think I will largely turn aging off during university. I like the three careers that are included. They are all ones that I'll work in. I also like that there are different tracks in each of them. Sure, I'd always welcome more careers but these definitely allow for more distinction between educated upper middle class sims and others. The different ways to pay for school are cool and add a new challenge. Who gets to go to university and how is it paid for? It's a way to drain some funds from wealthy legacy households like my astronaut with 5 kids.

No opinion on the pranking and silly stuff, not really my thing. I've never played with Servos before but I like the way that they are basically for techie geniuses, pretty realistic. I know people who build their own computers and tv systems with scrap parts they buy, so this is basically like them. Lol.

I also think it makes sense for kids and pets to be off-campus unless someone wants to go in and alter the settings of the building. It starts as a stereotypical university and you can change it or not. I didn't play TS3 university, so I don't have an opinion on playable vs. non-playable classes. I could go either way on the subject. If anything, playable classes might get boring when replayed or when rotating between sims.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
    I do wish they'd add Masters and Ph Ds which seem easy enough to add. Eh, I tend to play some academic sims.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    I do wish they'd add Masters and Ph Ds which seem easy enough to add. Eh, I tend to play some academic sims.

That would be cool but at least we can have sims complete multiple degrees.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Did they or any guru mention if degrees will help towards the GTW careers? Biology could help scientists/doctors and the one for lawyers, could help detectives.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    I'm disappointed we didn't get lip piercings. You'd think with faciel piercings that area would have the option but I love everything else. I love that sims can ride bikes together. I saw it in the interactions..

I love the wall showers. I totally wasn't expecting those.

I love the shower woohoo animations as well however it may look diferent in different showers eg shower tub combos.

I love that they added the option to have roomates.

I love that you can live in the uni world without being in college. This is a first in a Sims Game.

I love that we can go in a rabbithole stadium and watch a game.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    So, a nice detailed 2 hour livestream and people still feel the need to criticize them for letting sim needs fall into the red and accusing them of not being players when they told us they all were.

Fair enough to criticize the pack, but this kind of thing seems uncalled for to me.

I was impressed with certain things they showed. The bed allocation, computer locking, draggable items, robotics and a number of other things.

Some disappointments too: most especially the shower woohoo which is an obvious rip-off of closet woohoo.

That doesn't really bother me. The money vault woohoo is the same animation as the leaf woohoo. I"m just glad our sims can woohoo in the shower. I've wanted this every since the base game.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member

They have distinguished degrees at each college so those are basically masters.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »

They're more likely a bachelor's with honours vs without hons.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »

Really? I think "with honors" applies to how well a person does in college. For example I would get "honors" by graduating with A average. I still find that distinguished degrees seems like the developers' way of simulating a higher degree than bachelor's. That is what I got from it at least.
  • ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member

I believe it was more described as courses one university does better than another, like studying engineering at MIT or classics at Oxford. It's more prestigious and therefore has higher requirements and a better reward because the degree is more respected.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    they had my wig snatched at them servos and utility bots. simguruazure seems to be really passionate while creating them.

the open cafeteria opens to new drama and clout im gon play. perhaps i could install island living again and play as an undercover mermaid student that swims at water only at nighttime. and the rival teams, students and roommates are more lively and more unique this time around. tuitiion, loans, and scholaraships, oh my, thank god my prayers to satan got finally answered.

and them bikes aren't limited to roads only so strolling would be a thing, i found them very limited in TS3. and there's a new roommate system that isn't limited to britechester like y'all know what am talking about.

also cool with the secret society having a dedicated secret spot to meet up. and that balance between party gimmicks and academics, that's so lit.

after learning so much from livestream today, im now starting to think that this would be one of the best expansion packs to date.

Yes! this!!🤣🤣🤣
    I'm super excited
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SimmillerSimmiller Posts: 36 Member
    University was my favourite expansion for TS2, so I'm really looking forward to this! I'm not looking for them to be identical, or anything like that, because I believe in progress, but from what I've seen it looks like a lot of fun :)
  • Bearly_MediaBearly_Media Posts: 124 Member
    So can sims get juiced? I was hoping they might add some kind of simple mechanic that caused sims to be dazed from drinking a certain amount of juice within a short window of time. Maybe an 8 hour +5 uncomfortable moodlet after they wake up.

They weren't able to get that juice keg to be placed inside, I hope it isn't an outside only item.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    I liked that they said bunk beds didn’t make it but possibly in the future. They know it’s something wanted. And iirc they said prom maybe in the future. If they ever get round to a generations pack I hope they make it in those
    Thetford wrote: »

I believe it was more described as courses one university does better than another, like studying engineering at MIT or classics at Oxford. It's more prestigious and therefore has higher requirements and a better reward because the degree is more respected.

Yep, this is how I understand the distinguished degrees. They are more competitive programs with higher admission requirements.
    It just dawned on me with the lack of full kitchens. If you have a full kitchen and you pause aging while you have a sim study, that sim is basically always going to end up as some master chef sooner rather than later due to more practice.

This way you can make sims with much lower cooking skills, because they don't cook for themselves much. It'll make the "master chefs" stand out more. You can make the sims who spend all of their time studying and live on ... junk. You can do that now but it's kind of more encouraged. The students who move off on their own will learn to take care of themselves more.

I don't know, the more I think about it, the more I'm ok with it. I do see the complaints about people feeling restricted but most of that can be changed with editing. Yes, I'd like to see the added gameplay and not just restrictions.
  • pearson3pearson3 Posts: 33 Member
    Does anyone know if we'll be able to make custom organizations like the clubs in Get Together? They had pre-made ones but it would be a lot of fun to make our own, plus it would let us set up faux-sororities and fraternities since university housing has the option to limit roommates to a certain group.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    @pearson3 They didn't say but it's definitely something I'm hoping will be possible and that the settings won't be restricted to only the Uni societies and will include Clubs.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    LuvMySimz wrote: »
    It‘s really annoying to watch you guys playing with these poor tired Sims. Why don‘t you just cheat their needs so the show off is better? *SMH*

I kept saying that the whole time I was watching it today. Just turn their needs off and then they can do whatever. It kept distracting me. lol.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited November 2019
    pearson3 wrote: »
    The stove restrictions on dorms is ridiculous. I really hope that will be modded out fast because I hate restricting options for no tangible reason in the Sims.

I have no idea why they put this restriction on dorms, it doesn't make any sense.

Considering how long it takes for your Sims to eat food anyway, the stove restriction will only make things take a lot longer than is really necessary because of the travelling involved which is not really ideal if your Sims have a lot of classes and homework to complete, and I'm now wondering whether time management is going to be a fun challenge or is just plain annoying.

I'm hoping that the devs will reconsider the restriction and change it before the pack is released so that people won't have to rely on mods.

My dorm room in college was just big enough for a mini fridge and microwave, and we weren't allowed to use hot plates (even though some people did). And there wasn't any kind of kitchen in the dorm either. We had to go to the cafeteria or one of the little restaurants around campus. Or, order pizzas all the time which is what I did. lol.
    So this doesn't seem all that odd to me. If you really want a regular kitchen, live in a rental house instead of a dorm?

I do see the issue with traveling to the cafeteria though. They should have made the cafeteria accessible without a loading screen.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I'm disappointed we didn't get lip piercings. You'd think with faciel piercings that area would have the option but I love everything else. I love that sims can ride bikes together. I saw it in the interactions..

I love the shower woohoo animations as well however it may look diferent in different showers eg shower tub combos.

I love that you can live in the uni world without being in college. This is a first in a Sims Game.

Why would you want to live in a university world without being enrolled in school?
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Azure is my favorite guru, so happy to see her in this stream
  • Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Why would you want to live in a university world without being enrolled in school?

Playing with a sim that's supposed to be a professor, or maybe just because it's a nice world?
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

That's like saying no one can live in a town unless they attend its university...
  • kristenleighwhitekristenleighwhite Posts: 226 Member

Why would you want to live in a university world without being enrolled in school?[/quote]

I actually live and grew up in a Universiry town. It's a fun environment, and always interesting!