Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ok, so campus dorms are basically penthouses? [I can work with that.]

CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
That is a relief then. :)
I was afraid they were going to be more like City Living apartments that would severely limit what I could build.
Being penthouses, I have the entire floor plate and I can build multiple levels.

Oh, Britechester is going to have some seriously atmospheric and multilevel dorms when I am done. :)
I really don't like how the current dorms are laid out. I want a larege central common area, not bathrooms and the elevator in the center with sims walking around a lifeless perimeter hallway.
The%20Sims%204%20Discover%20University%20Livestream.mp4_snapshot_00.10.40_2019.11.09_11.53.53.jpg

My past uni dorms included areas for the artists, stylists, workouts, massage, hidden rooms for practicing magic, gardening, science, study, etc.
The current dorms look absolutely boring in comparison. The no stoves restriction is bothersome, so a multiple microwave canteen area will have to do.

This is my Grindlewald dorm from TS2. No dark wizards though.
There is no way I can build this in TS4 and function as a dorm in Discover University.
So it will be a spiritual successor to my Discover University dorm and be broken up between the two penthouse lot spaces.
I will try to make one dorm cater to students pursuing standard degrees while the other supports students pursing distinguished degrees.
snapshot_74393683_14556b79.jpg
snapshot_74393683_3455baf2.jpg

snapshot_74393683_f4556aa2.jpg

snapshot_74393683_745569e7.jpg

snapshot_74393683_b4557008.jpg

snapshot_74393683_d451d4d6.jpg

snapshot_d325b9dc_9326a842.jpg

snapshot_74393683_f4444396.jpg

snapshot_74393683_7446df8c.jpg

Nerd's Paradise was my favorite custom dorm in The Sims 3 University.
I will be making a spiritual successor to it for Foxbury, again split between the two penthouse lots.
Screenshot-6775.jpg

Screenshot-6790.jpg

Screenshot-6791.jpg

Screenshot-6793.jpg

Screenshot-6798.jpg

This was before I upgraded it with Into the Future content.
Screenshot-7131.jpg

Alright then, I will be spending the next week figuring out designs that capture the spirit of my favorite old University dorms.
The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Comments

• ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    From what I've gathered from the stream, you can turn any lot, in any world, into student housing, it just has to be assigned a university.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited November 2019
    Thetford wrote: »
    From what I've gathered from the stream, you can turn any lot, in any world, into student housing, it just has to be assigned a university.

That's cool, but I want my Uni sims living on campus.
    The way TS4 sim worlds are structured is a little immersion breaking for me.
    Yesterday a sim called up my Brindleton Bay sim for a day of playing hooky.

They went to Sulani. :s
    11-03-19_5-50-34nbspPM.png

11-03-19_5-53-14nbspPM.png

It was funny, but odd.
    These two by the way, Foxbury, all the way.
    11-03-19_8-38-28nbspPM.png
    Post edited by CK213 on
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    CK213 wrote: »

There are a couple of lots on each campus that are not penthouses. Maybe it will be easier for you to build dorms on them. :)
  • VageniusVagenius Posts: 487 Member
    I think I am going to turn Windenburg into a college town connected to Britechester. I'll probably make quite a few dorms and some clubs, bars, coffee shops and restaurants. I'm not sure about Foxbury yet but I will do another college town connected to that. That way I have more college towns and I can leave the rest of my worlds for when my sims graduate, get married and move on from University. My sims that want to live the single life will probably move to San Myshuno and the more family oriented people will spread out in other neighborhoods. I just wish they'd give us the option to disconnect certain neighborhoods. I'm thinking I might just use the mod to turn some places into destination neighborhoods.
    edited November 2019
    somewhsome wrote: »
    CK213 wrote: »

There are a couple of lots on each campus that are not penthouses. Maybe it will be easier for you to build dorms on them. :)

There really is no difference between building on a lot on the ground and building on a penthouse lot.
    It's just an elevated lot. There is no issue there.

My main point was that dorms are fortunately not City Living apartment shells.
    Those would have been a problem because you don't have the entire area to build on and you can't build multiple levels.

I would rather leave those ground level lots for other community lot type functions.
    I will be fine with building on the penthouse lots.

Although, I do spy a 50 x 40 lot in the central town.
    It's too small for my Grindlewald dorm, but it should fit for Nerds Paradise.
    When I do get bored, I will probably try my Grindwald dorm in Windenburg. I did love that dorm.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    Vagenius wrote: »
    I think I am going to turn Windenburg into a college town connected to Britechester. I'll probably make quite a few dorms and some clubs, bars, coffee shops and restaurants. I'm not sure about Foxbury yet but I will do another college town connected to that. That way I have more college towns and I can leave the rest of my worlds for when my sims graduate, get married and move on from University. My sims that want to live the single life will probably move to San Myshuno and the more family oriented people will spread out in other neighborhoods. I just wish they'd give us the option to disconnect certain neighborhoods. I'm thinking I might just use the mod to turn some places into destination neighborhoods.

I like that idea. :)
    Windenburg is one of my favorite towns.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    edited November 2019
    I think I’m going to make Newcrest my college town. I love that there’s that row there to the side which will be the downtown district. One neighborhood will be super modern for Foxbury students, and the other will have older styled houses for the UBrite students. Also there will be two Greek homes (one in each neighborhood and they will be residential so the students can go to either university).
    Post edited by AquaGamer1212 on
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,377 Member
    I love the fact that students can attend Uni from home. Some of the vampires I'd love to send already have families, so attending from home will be fantastic. I can't see moving the whole family when the classes will be available to them too. Of course I will be sending my singles to the dorms and/or houses and they will be able to participate in all the extra curricular activities that will probably get them in trouble. :D

I love the idea of college towns! Thanks for the tip!
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
    edited November 2019
    Ooh... update.
    I forgot about my TS3 custom apartments.

I did build one for TS3 Uni, but I liked my dorms so much, I never used it.
    Screenshot-2942.jpg

This one was the University version instead of the Late Night version, so the whole building was furnished out for roommates instead of Late Night apartment rabbit holes.
    Screenshot-2953.jpg

The left side was a two level apartment.
    The right side had 2 single level apartments and 1 long one on the second floor.
    I am going to build this for TS4, but with more rooms like the ones on the right. The section on the left will be a common area for study, exercise, and social entertainment. It should feel more like an apartment building than a dorm.

Okay, new plans.
    In TS3, my sims spent there first year in EA's dorms, and the remaining years in various custom dorms.
    It spiced up game play to make things a little less repetitive over the years. I will probably spend the first six courses in my penthouse dorms and the remaining in my more apartment like dorm. I am thinking Foxbury for this one.
    Post edited by CK213 on
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I think I’m going to make Newcrest my college town. I love that there’s that row there to the side which will be the downtown district. One neighborhood will be super modern for Fosbury students, and the other will have older styled houses for the UBrite students. Also there will be two Greek homes.

Are you able to have "University Housing" lots in other towns? I never got that vibe from the stream. I thought you could just add them to the Britechester town but I could be wrong!
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    I think I’m going to make Newcrest my college town. I love that there’s that row there to the side which will be the downtown district. One neighborhood will be super modern for Fosbury students, and the other will have older styled houses for the UBrite students. Also there will be two Greek homes.

Are you able to have "University Housing" lots in other towns? I never got that vibe from the stream. I thought you could just add them to the Britechester town but I could be wrong!

I believe so 🤔 They never actually said otherwise, but I don’t see why not considering it’s not a special lot unlike the commons. But who knows lol, my whole plan could be ruined. 🤷‍♀️
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    As I understood it, university housing is a type of lot, in the same way we have lot types called residential, bar, library etc, so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to make university housing in a different town.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    I also got the impression you could build them anywhere. I've already pre-built some dorms in Windenburg, I'm turning downtown into a city-style campus, like a separate university in itself. Two dorms, a night club, a commons/union area tagged as a cafe and gym/pool.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    As I understood it, university housing is a type of lot, in the same way we have lot types called residential, bar, library etc, so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to make university housing in a different town.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be like a special lot exclusive only to the Britechester world either, since you'll know which ones are the special lots bc you cannot change them outside of their designated purpose where they are placed, while the uni housing lot type can be switched out at any time to be something else. Idk yet about the commons lot type though.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    Some lovely ideas here! a036.gif
    I love the idea of making some of the other towns campus towns. Windenburg's one of my favourites, too. It's another that feels like it could be English (Lincoln springs to mind) so to 'attach' that to Britechester sounds like a wonderful idea.

That dorm layout is...different. I look forward to the challenge a050.gif
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
    edited November 2019

:s
    Alright, I think I will cave and build an updated version of this in Windenburg and affiliate it with Britechester.
    snapshot_74393683_14556b79.jpg
    This is going to create some serious TS2 nostalgia for me. ---minus the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 dormies.
    I am going to have to give it the haunted lot trait. In TS2 a dormie died and their grave stone is in the lower left corner.
    I added the dead trees.

The problem for me now is I am going to have to give up this mansion.
    I have no where else to put it. 64 x64 lots are rare in TS4. I can do some lot shuffling later after the kids in my Orphanage on Windernburg's island grow up. Miss Peregrine will probably retire to a little cottage in the country side, or on the island. It will work out.
    11-10-19_1-53-53nbspPM.png
    I can pretend that Windenburg is very close to Britechester.

So it begins...
    11-10-19_2-44-33nbspPM.png

But wait!
    It just dawned on my that I already have an architectural theme going in another house design.
    I am deconstructing the lot to see how it translates to my old TS2 Uni dorm.
    11-10-19_2-54-13nbspPM.png
    Post edited by CK213 on
    edited November 2019
    30 minutes after midnight.
    I wish I could finish this. :p
    11-11-19_12-09-53nbspAM.png

I will only have an hour or two each day Monday to Friday morning, but I should be able to finish it.
    The funny thing is I tried to get my roof to look like this for my TS2 Uni dorm. Now I can actually get it right with TS4
    11-11-19_12-11-23nbspAM.png

11-11-19_12-27-36nbspAM.png

11-11-19_12-21-50nbspAM.png

11-11-19_12-22-14nbspAM.png
    edited November 2019
    I just saw a YouTube video by Game Changer James Turner.
    He actually did what I was wondering about.
    He placed the cafeteria object in the dorm. A vendor shows up and is there from 7 in the morning to 11 at night.
    I was concerned that I would have to pay a vendor to operate it, but that does not seem to be an issue.
    https://youtu.be/Wr0HaYNTZuU

I am all set to go when we get the pack.
    There will be plenty of food to be had. Which is great with this dorm being in Windenburg.
    11-11-19_8-54-43nbspAM.png

This will make my dorm even more like the original TS2 version.
    snapshot_74393683_f45568f3.jpg

Still progressing on the dorm.
    11-11-19_7-00-59nbspAM.png
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    @CK213 your dorm's looking great! I'm so pleased we can build them anywhere. So many plans! a038.gif
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
    edited November 2019
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    @CK213 your dorm's looking great! I'm so pleased we can build them anywhere. So many plans! a038.gif

I probably won't get around to rebuilding the campus dorms for quite a while.
    I am too interested in my custom ones outside of Britechester.

I'm getting nervous now.
    This is turning out to be a stunning build compared to the old TS2 version.
    I had a great time in that dorm, but now I am beginning to wonder if TS4 dormies will not cooperate in the awesomeness and just ignore everything that I have built, except for what they have been programmed to do in DU.
    11-16-19_6-02-20nbspPM.png

11-16-19_6-02-27nbspPM.png

I am almost finished with the student rooms.
    11-16-19_6-02-36nbspPM.png

I love the study area.
    11-16-19_6-20-13nbspPM.png

I like having my sims makeover dormies.
    I am sure really odd ones will start spawning eventually.
    11-16-19_6-03-06nbspPM.png

I just need to add finishing touches to all the rooms before going on a test run.
    I will save landscaping as the last step.
    Post edited by CK213 on