Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How will semesters work?

2...Next

Comments

• AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    edited November 2019
    It's 5 days a term/semester, there are multiple terms/semesters. You have to complete 12 classes in total. So if you want to do 4 classes a term, you'll get done in 3 terms, which is 3 weeks. If you do less classes a term, that's more terms, which equals more weeks. So it is sort of adjustable, there's honestly no need to mod it. You can adjust seasons accordingly. And this is coming from someone who mods the heck out of their game.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    It's 5 days a term/semester, there are multiple terms/semesters. You have to complete 12 classes in total. So if you want to do 4 classes a term, you'll get done in 3 terms, which is 3 weeks. If you do less classes a term, that's more terms, which equals more weeks. So it is sort of adjustable, there's honestly no need to mod it. You can adjust seasons accordingly. And this is coming from someone who mods the heck out of their game.

There's a lot of things that don't necessarily need to be modded, but mods have been made for them anyway. MCCC wouldn't have even have half the content and LilMsSam wouldn't bother doing tuning mods bc a lot of those things as you say, don't need to be modded. Let people have their choices and let modders mod what they want?
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • VageniusVagenius Posts: 487 Member
    Eh, I'm sure a modder will once again give a solution to term lengths the way we want it. :) Like always...

See a need, fill a need! (Though we shouldn't always have to rely on mods)

You are probably right and I think I'll wait to buy until I see something done about that aspect. You are also correct that we shouldn't have to rely on mods to make the game have more depth. There are great mods of course like McCC and Basemental that have features that could never be put into the game. Something as simple as implementing a tool to extend how long it takes your sims to finish a degree shouldn't be a mod that ever needs to be created, it should already be in the game. It's whatever though, I'll do what I have to to make that a longer experience.

There's a lot of things that don't necessarily need to be modded, but mods have been made for them anyway. MCCC wouldn't have even have half the content and LilMsSam wouldn't bother doing tuning mods bc a lot of those things as you say, don't need to be modded. Let people have their choices and let modders mod what they want?

Honestly you're just complaining to complain at this point. Modders don't need to waste their time modding things that don't need to be modded. Both of those modders have modded things in the game that NEEDED them in some sort. If you want longer Uni then take less classes each term, BOOM there's your choice. :|

• LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Yeah I'll probably just do 3 classes a term and put seasons on 7 days.

But 5 days is really short. Not sure how you are suppose to manage a social life with all the new features with this kind of time restraint.

Hopefully classes aren't on the weekends so that if a term starts on any other day than Monday, it will technically be longer.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
    edited November 2019
    Yeah I'll probably just do 3 classes a term and put seasons on 7 days.

But 5 days is really short. Not sure how you are suppose to manage a social life with all the new features with this kind of time restraint.

Hopefully classes aren't on the weekends so that if a term starts on any other day than Monday, it will technically be longer.

Classes are Mon-Fri, and they said if you start Uni during the weekend you'll have a little more time to get work done.
    Post edited by AquaGamer1212 on

• dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    @AquaGamer1212

Sorry, but that‘s a stupid solution. Some players want an actual university experience and this includes taking multiple classes and all the stress and time management issues that comes with it. These players who have seasons set to three weeks will start university at the beginning of winter and graduate at the end of winter. What kind of nonsense is this? Being a lazy slack off student is not an alternative for longer terms. It really wouldn‘t have been difficult to let players choose the length of a term. Just throw in some „prepare presentation“, „research xyz“ and „take exam“ tasks more.

Some people really only care about the party aspect of DU and it shows. I don‘t even know why EA bothered to add rabbit hole classes. Many people would have bought a University pack with no classes or homework whatsoever.
    @AquaGamer1212

Sorry, but that‘s a stupid solution. Some players want an actual university experience and this includes taking multiple classes and all the stress and time management issues that comes with it. These players who have seasons set to three weeks will start university at the beginning of winter and graduate at the end of winter. What kind of nonsense is this? Being a lazy slack off student is not an alternative for longer terms. It really wouldn‘t have been difficult to let players choose the length of a term. Just throw in some „prepare presentation“, „research xyz“ and „take exam“ tasks more.

Some people really only care about the party aspect of DU and it shows. I don‘t even know why EA bothered to add rabbit hole classes. Many people would have bought a University pack with no classes or homework whatsoever.

Terms can last from 3 weeks to 12 weeks, it's up to the player how long they want Uni to be. Seasons is irrelevant because not everyone has Seasons. There also extracurriculars you can take instead of classes as well.

@AquaGamer1212

This is kind of how I felt about it. I want a challenge for longer than 5 sim days a semester. I'd like 28 day semesters personally. I think I would do end of summer to beginning of winter, then take a break and do end of winter to beginning of summer. I think sometimes they forget about players like me that actually want things to be challenging and take time. I can do 5 days and 4 classes but it still just feels easy. I like extended periods of challenge and managing things. They could have thrown in mid terms and other small exams. I think someone will create a mod for this though so I'll just wait to see what the community comes up with. Sad that it has to be that way.
    Another thing I am wondering about semesters is when do you register for the next semester? I hope you can do this before you are like sent home or kicked out of your dorm.
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member

Terms can last from 3 weeks to 12 weeks, it's up to the player how long they want Uni to be. Seasons is irrelevant because not everyone has Seasons. There also extracurriculars you can take instead of classes as well.

A term is always five days. You can take 12 terms until graduation if you play a lazy slack off sim who only takes one class per term and parties 24/7. Not everyone wants this university experience for their sims.

Not everyone that has Cats & Dogs also has Seasons yet those players who have both have their cats become tense when thunderstorms occur. DU is an expansion pack so they should take other packs into account. Having your sim enroll and graduate in the same season and giving players no option to change it is pure laziness.

• Phantasi33Phantasi33 Posts: 181 Member
    Vagenius wrote: »
    Another thing I am wondering about semesters is when do you register for the next semester? I hope you can do this before you are like sent home or kicked out of your dorm.

I'm assuming once your sim has completed their first round of classes, there might be a pop up prompting your sims take another set of classes until they've done all 12. I could be wrong, because that's something they didn't show in the livestream, but that's my best guess.

A term is always five days. You can take 12 terms until graduation if you play a lazy slack off sim who only takes one class per term and parties 24/7. Not everyone wants this university experience for their sims.

Not everyone that has Cats & Dogs also has Seasons yet those players who have both have their cats become tense when thunderstorms occur. DU is an expansion pack so they should take other packs into account. Having your sim enroll and graduate in the same season and giving players no option to change it is pure laziness.

I meant the whole duration of University. I've been typing terms so much I slipped up. But what I said is correct, if you choose to do 4 classes per term, and each term is 5 days, then the minimum is 3 weeks to 12 weeks because you can do 1 class per term if you choose. Term=Week (because we don't count the weekends).