Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Discover University Livestream was a dissapointment.

As the titles says this presentation of the pack was uninspiring, chaotic and boring. I was excited about the pack but because of the stream i think it looks terrible.

The Lady with the curly hair was annoying. She seemed bored and was all over the place. Did barely pay attention and got distracted way too much.
They would forget answering questions, which becomes annoying, when you consider that there was so much silence. It was really unprofessional and quiet hard to sit trough and pay attention. Awkward pauses... ''Hmm what should we show now'' questions
Really?! They litteraly didnt know what to do after one hour. A 2h Livestream like that is tiresome and i learned my lesson.

The promotion for this Uni Pack is all over the place... silence... gameplay trailer, that doesnt really show the features... no date for when the embargo lifts for the game changers... its ''on the weekend'' ... we dont know when the patch arrives...

I miss the trailers from get to work. Behind the scenes from artists that did simlish versions of theyre song, or even some ads like the stillLife trailer.

They should just do a producer walktrough that is maybe 10 minutes, highlights the features and tells the story. Does anyone remember These trailers?

An Q&A Blog about the most asked questions and leave the showcasing part up to the game changers. At this point they are doing it waaay better then the gurus themselves anyway.

I do find it irritating that you never see SimGuruFrost in the streams. Why is there litteraly someone that has to pay attention to the questions from the fast twitch community chat, when this is someting the Community Manager could do. Why isnt he the one asking the most common questions. Also why didnt they used the other room.

But at least the one in the middle was enthusiastic... even though the robotic talk got kinda annoying. I know they arent professional streamers and arent used to be live in front of 1000 of people...
At the same time one would think a billion company studio would get theyre stuff together after 5years, but okay.

So how do you feel about the Livestream and the pack presentation and what could of been improved?

Comments

• DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    The cas was shown a bit too quickly and the build/buy wasn’t shown really. I know the game changers will do it but it’s still important to see. Then I would have liked to know more about the careers.

I’m disappointed that there’s no new trait because we desperately need more traits!!

The livestream was informative but a bit all over the place.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    Unfortunatelly I have to agree with you 100%. It was really chaotic, no order, only a few questions were answered.

I hope we can see more Simguru Azure, in the lead! She was really awesome, great, fun, sweet,... :)
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Surprised by this post. Haven’t seen any of it but I actually see a lot of enthousiasm among simmers.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I 100% agree with everything you've said. I realize they're not professionals being used to being on camera, but even so... they were completely unprepared. They could have at least had a script, timeline and gathered questions from the forums, Twitter, Instagram, the most commonly asked ones and showed those aspects and answered those. I left this stream feeling bored and had even more questions than actual answers.

Simguru Azure should have had the keyboard control as she seemed to be at least the only one who really knew how to play and I found it frustrating having to watch her teach the other how to play...

The sims didn't do as they were told many times and it was frustrating to see them tired all of the time or having to pee, just cheat the needs for the stream at least!

It was all around pretty terrible and made me actually not want to buy it.

The robots were great IMO, but I'm not paying $40 for just those...

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    I like the pack and the gurus seemed enthusiastic but the stream was definitely chaotic. Some more structure would have been ideal. I definitely agree that cheating the needs of the played sims would have been a good idea.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Oh so I'm not the only one thinking it was chaotic. I also think the curly girl was unprofessional and quite annoying while the one in the middle was pleasing. And yeah they showed us everything it has to offer in about 1hour and a half.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited November 2019
    Oh so I'm not the only one thinking it was chaotic. I also think the curly girl was unprofessional and quite annoying while the one in the middle was pleasing. And yeah they showed us everything it has to offer in about 1hour and a half.

I kind of disagree. There was more to show and a bunch of questions left, they just didn't know where to go after that first 1.5 hours because they were unprepared. They could have shown something about the repo man. How the end of term works and starting another. They should have sims played and ready to graduate to show where they can start in careers after. They could show sims failing and what happens then. There was more they could have done to use the time better but they weren't in the least prepared to do this. Despite us all knowing the date of this thing, it's like they didn't know who would be doing it and they just threw those poor people in at the 10 minutes to launch mark. Really unprofessional.

When they did ROM the guru's were excited and actually ran out of time...

All of this makes me think that this pack was rushed and not well thought out.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited November 2019
    They should just learn to work with a script, maybe ask their gamechangers how to do it xD Instead of always trying to "wing it". But to be quite honest, I'm not a fan of whatever the woman on the right was called (I always forget her name). She's never great in streams and just seems to want to rush through things ("this is already old news to us!" - yeah, no kidding, didn't you help make it?) or kind of "enforce" her way of looking at the game ("I always play in speed 3, I'm more of a builder" - fantbaulous, but can we get back to the point of showing us gameplay?). I love what's in this pack, I do, and I do think the stream showed me a lot of things I needed to see to feel excited. But they have to stop letting that woman participate in so many streams. SimGuruAzure was a lot more collected and fun and clearly engaged with the content. I know not everyone's born to be behind the camera, which is cool - neither am I. But because I'm not, I would just let someone else handle it.

ETA: also, I had the feeling there were parts of the game she didn't know anything about at all? Like that awkward moment with the "cramming sessions" that could happen in the library? Idk she seemed to answer as if that's the first she's heard of it and I felt the Guru on the left was a bit flustered by her responses. ^^
    Camkat wrote: »

I kind of disagree. There was more to show and a bunch of questions left, they just didn't know where to go after that first 1.5 hours because they were unprepared. They could have shown something about the repo man. How the end of term works and starting another. They should have sims played and ready to graduate to show where they can start in careers after. They could show sims failing and what happens then. There was more they could have done to use the time better but they weren't in the least prepared to do this. Despite us all knowing the date of this thing, it's like they didn't know who would be doing it and they just threw those poor people in at the 10 minutes to launch mark. Really unprofessional.

When they did ROM the guru's were excited and actually ran out of time...

All of this makes me think that this pack was rushed and not well thought out.

I don't think you'll discover much than that playing by yourself. Like I said, 95% was already shown. Simmers will be asking for more after 1 week.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    I will be waiting until this pack goes on sale to purchse. I love the way our sims look and how easy it is to build, but game play is always lacking.
    I will be waiting until this pack goes on sale to purchse. I love the way our sims look and how easy it is to build, but game play is always lacking.

This is exactly what I think everytime I see TS4. Wow nice looking game but then, uh no no, gameplay is seriously lacking.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I like the idea of a livestream, so I really don’t want them to scrap it, but this past one did seem a bit messy.

Two hours long and it felt like I learned very little about the pack (assuming there is anything more to it). They spent way too long trying to show off the chest external inventory feature and then they wasted so much time on the boring juice keg event (I know these are easy to make, but these events are grindy and terrible!).

I think it would be far better to do Producer Walkthroughs like we’ve gotten throughout TS2 and sporadically throughout TS3, complemented by an organized livestream afterwards, to show off a bit more and, more importantly, take some questions from fans.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited November 2019
    I knew from the opening it was going to be bad. They just sort of jumped in and started clicking on the computer to send sims to school. Ok, this is how you get there... I don't cares from one guru..I believe about 2 of those and yeah it shows you don't care by these terrible games you guys are putting out. My favorite part was when they didn't know what the tattoo was on the back of the neck HAHAHAH Yeah I fell out of my chair laughing on that one. If you guys don't know, what makes you think we are going to know or even want it in our game. Oh and that one point where she said it was a bug and just to ignore it...LMAO Yeah I just can't. I wish Graham did these livestreams more, he is my favorite.

I literally learned nothing I wanted to know. I wanted to know about rotational gameplay. I wanted to know if I could send sims from different households to the same dorm one by one or at the same time. When people are looking forward to the toilets and CAS the most, Houston we have a problem. They didn't even go through the build\buy items and spread them out on a lot...UGH
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    I enjoyed it on the whole and watched all two hours but kept thinking that they should turn those little robots off as they were distracting after a while. They all appear to work on different aspects of the game so should have moved the controls over when explaining their own work. Maybe split the stream into small parts. Robots needed their own half hour I thought. I hope they show the new build and buy objects soon.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Eh, I think it's really easy to criticize other people as an "armchair critic". I'm in an unrelated field but I understand how much work goes into something like this and also what it is like to be put on the spot.

I mean, fans all have different play styles and want to see different things. It's probably easier to do a stream for a pack that just focuses on one play style, like how ROM is essentially entirely supernatural.

I thought the stream was fine. It was a little long but I had a much better idea of the content at the end. Everything? No, but if I want that then I can work through the game.

It might make sense to have more than one livestream. I don't really like calling out specific gurus too much, especially women in the tech field.

Sure, they went through the CAS/BB pretty quickly and no, not all of what was shown appealed to me. I thought it was fine though. If anything, if it were overly polished, it would seem more like marketing spin.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I agree.

-This is a university pack and they never once showed a single sim go to class. I know classes are rabbitholes but not a single one actually went. They didn't even show a sim taking classes from home.

-They never showed a debate and hardly focused on scholarships or anything uni related to be honest.

-They didn't talk much about the new careers either which is something I was curious about.

-They spent way too much time talking about the robots which I will maybe use once and forget about like I did with the ones from ts3 because they take up room in your household and I like to have large families.

-They went through CAS/BB way too fast.

-They didn't even show how it would work to play a sim at uni while your other sims are still at home.I guess it will work similar to rotational gameplay which i'm not a fan of.

-Also how would it work if your sim get pregnant while at uni? They mentioned that they can't live in dorms so will they be kicked out of school or will they have to move?

At this point they leave all the important features to be talked about by the game changers. Why even do a livestream if that's the case?
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Actually I saw the male go to class and like any rabbit hole he left the dorm and then came back a little bit later. At least i thought it indicated it was time for class for him. Maybe I was wrong -

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    The livestream was 2 hours of pure boredom. It just made the pack look worse to me.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    @fruitsbasket101
    One of the Sims did go to class during the stream, another one headed out but they stopped her because they were showing something else.

As for pregnancy, it won't affect the Sim's enrollment (they'll be able to stay in class) but they'll need to move out of dorms, they did answer this in the stream - I'm assuming the Sim will be prompted to move when the baby is born.

About Sims at Uni & their family/pre-Uni household, you have two (ish, because there are dorms as well as residential living) options:
    - Your Sim enrolls in University and stays living at home. They'll travel to rabbit hole classes when needed, visit campus for events if you want them to (in which case it's the same as traveling with one Sim). No rotation needed there.
    - Your Sim moves out to dorms (or their own residential lot) and becomes a separate household. In that case, yes, if you want to play the rest of their family too, it will need to be a rotation system.

Initially they talked about showing off CAS/BB but there were many responses from people on twitter that they wanted to see gameplay because CAS/BB will have multiple review videos from GameChangers, so I'm guessing that's why they didn't really spend time on either of those. (also there were a bunch of complaints that there was too much CAS/BB time in the RoM livestream back when they did that one).
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    I definitely think there could be improvements to the live streams.

SimGuruAzure seemed to be the most informed on this pack and it was great listening to her explain how some of the features worked. I wasn't really impressed with much else and the stream did feel quite disorganized.

As already mentioned, a script or even some sort of cue card would probably help the gurus keep on track and make sure they don't forget anything important. I also think it would be a good idea to gather questions a few days before the stream, rather than only answering them live. Maybe there could be a thread posted here on the forums and the most frequently asked questions are the ones that get answered first.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    i was annoyed by that simguru on the right spamming the llama speed button and doesn't seem to know what she was doing. but we stan a knowledgeable and irrational queen, simguruazure. and am i the only one who noticed some steam going around with this three
    like they got beef or some sort? maybe that was just me.

we know that they're developers and not streamers but they could have picked up someone more professional i'd say.
    y'all got bread?
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I couldn’t hear the one in the middle unfortunately, voice was too soft/microphone was too soft/something. I was disappointed by that the most.
  • PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    Great suggestions. They defenitly need a script and do their research before entering a livestream. And always always cheat the needs up.
    I saw so many critisicm about the livestream on differente socials(some of them were nasty not gonna lie). I think they will change it next time, grow and learn.

I mean at the end it is was it is and i move on at this point. Won't watch a Livestream, learned my lesson. We have to see, that with every expansion pack differente gurus are working on them. Its a good idea, that we see those who were the leaders on this content in the livestream.
    Maybe a Q&A Session would be enough to answer the questions and maybe share a little bit of the behind the scenes and ideas of it.

I still think Game Changers should be showcasing the content. Arent they supposed to do this anyway? I know most Game Changers are biased, but are the gurus better? I mean there are over 100 Game Changers that get early access, there will be some people who are honest and neutral.
    They get to play the Game for 8hours and can always ask questions to the gurus personally. Which is why, they ask theyre audience, what they wanna know.
    And even after the Game released there are non Game Changers who review the content really nice.

@ChampandGirlie

And no its not easy to critisce... for me at least. . But its something that i wanted to let it out. I often feel bad for the gurus to be honest. But this is the feedback section and we are allowed to share our concerns, and not just wash everythin off just because we arent in this job and
    ''dont know it better''
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    I think Simguru Graham should be in every stream.
    i was annoyed by that simguru on the right spamming the llama speed button and doesn't seem to know what she was doing. but we stan a knowledgeable and irrational queen, simguruazure. and am i the only one who noticed some steam going around with this three
    like they got beef or some sort? maybe that was just me.

we know that they're developers and not streamers but they could have picked up someone more professional i'd say.

NOOO I also felt a bad vibe between them.
    Lu4ERme.gif