Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Roommate Question

So in the stream they said we can have roommates if you live in any residential lot.

But do you have to be a student at University?

I seriously hope they expanded this feature for everyone.
LR3g0ni.jpg

Comments

• AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    No you don’t, you just request one via phone and you can choose from 4.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• RoseGutsRoseGuts Posts: 5 New Member
    That's good to hear. I am hoping the roommates are similar to that of the ones in Sims 2 The Apartment Life, where we did not just automatically control them. They would come and go as they pleased.
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    RoseGuts wrote: »
    That's good to hear. I am hoping the roommates are similar to that of the ones in Sims 2 The Apartment Life, where we did not just automatically control them. They would come and go as they pleased.

That's exactly how they said they would be in the stream.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,089 Member
    What is the max amount of roommates you can have?
    @AquaGamer1212 idk do you have a source?

I just really need to know for sure that you dont have to be a university student to have roommates before I allow myself to get too excited.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    What is the max amount of roommates you can have?

1 if it's residential and 10 and dorms.
    @AquaGamer1212 idk do you have a source?

I just really need to know for sure that you dont have to be a university student to have roommates before I allow myself to get too excited.

They confirmed it on the livestream. SimGuruAzure was one of them that confirmed. You can either place an add and up to 4 sims will visit your house daily to see if you want to add them. You can also ask a sim to be your roomate. On the latter some will move right in but some if they have a child won't.
  • EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    I have asked this but I got different responses so i am confused- if i have my sim in a dorm could i replace the automated npcs by asking other sims to be my room mates, but they would stay as npcs as well? I know we can do this in houses but can we do it in the dorms?
  • youilivefor92youilivefor92 Posts: 62 Member
    For dorms, your roommate sims can't be asked directly to be roommates, nor use the new system to look for roommates. Dorms will be populated automatically with roommates because they're classified as "university housing". The only way to use the roommate system would be to change the classification to "residential". Which I believe can be done to the dorm buildings, but if you're using it as "university housing" specifically, then the roommates will populate automatically.
    edited November 2019
    I m worried about the dorm having 10 sims living in it. Normally only 8 are allowed. I'm concerned that this will cause extreme lag.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    I m worried about the dorm having 10 sims living in it. Normally only 8 are allowed. I'm concerned that this will cause extreme lag.

I think they meant you can have up to ten sims. Minimum is four.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

If it does, you can edit the dorms to have fewer beds in it and then you'll have fewer roommates.
    I don't think it will cause a major lag though, since they're NPCs and the game doesn't need to dedicate as many resources to knowing what they're up to and their needs or anything else. The same way Patchy or a gardener or a maid appearing doesn't (or shouldn't, I've never experienced it) cause lag on a lot.

I mean there aren't any issues when going to community lots so there shouldn't be.

The ultra speed probably wont work though.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
    You can have up to 9 roommates in residential as long as you have enough beds. They said it very confusingly, but it IS the same as the dorms except you can choose your roommates in residential housing.

• somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member

I mean there aren't any issues when going to community lots so there shouldn't be.

Oh gosh. No.

• orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    University form housing. If playing rotationally, can't I go to each household with teens, send them to uni and select the same form and in essence make them roommates?
  • NivyxNivyx Posts: 244 Member
    orkhid22 wrote: »
    University form housing. If playing rotationally, can't I go to each household with teens, send them to uni and select the same form and in essence make them roommates?

I hope so, this would be really nice. All the rotational households can interact with each other.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »

Oh gosh. No.

I hope you have some patience then! :D
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • jennlynhjennlynh Posts: 41 Member
    edited November 2019
    Are roommates going to have the ability to have jobs and contribute to the whole house finances?
  • liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    jennlynh wrote: »
    Are roommates going to have the ability to have jobs and contribute to the whole house finances?

They said that roommates would help pay the rent :-)
  • WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    edited November 2019
    I'm SO stocked for roommates. Have you guys thought of the possibilities they bring? We can finally have buildable apartments. Just place a bed, assign it to your roommates, lock their apartments to everyone but them, lock yours and BANG. Sims 2 apartment life. They will even pay you a rent.
    I just really hope the roommate system isn't locked for university students only.

They never really confirmed that. All they said was you can do it on any residential lot in any world but you can be a university student and live in any world.

So my question remains unanswered 😪
    LR3g0ni.jpg
    I just really hope the roommate system isn't locked for university students only.

They never really confirmed that. All they said was you can do it on any residential lot in any world but you can be a university student and live in any world.

So my question remains unanswered 😪

They did confirm it, you use your phone to place an AD for a roommate and you can choose from 4 at a time.

• SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    jennlynh wrote: »

As far as I'm aware, they'll pay some money towards bills (some time before the bills show up) but they won't be part of the general household budget.
  • HotSusieluHotSusielu Posts: 14 New Member
    After watching a couple of YouTube videos from simmers who were able to play university early.. it appears after moving into a dorm (on top of penthouse) some other sims are added to your household? Is this true for all the dorms.. I only want to be responsible for the sim I send to university.. I thought they would add random sims to populate the dorm and they would go about there business..