The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How will semesters work?

How do y'all think semesters will work? Or what will happen to the sims you leave behind while at uni? I kind of hope its a system like the vacations so you can switch back and forth between your sims that are at college and sims who are not.

Comments

• TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    How do y'all think semesters will work? Or what will happen to the sims you leave behind while at uni? I kind of hope its a system like the vacations so you can switch back and forth between your sims that are at college and sims who are not.

It may be like sims 2 where time stops outside while they attend uni, or possibly sims at uni will create their own temporary household and whether other households age with them will depend on what you have your settings on.
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,338 Member
    I hope it works like fame: It decays gradually for the active household only and is frozen for all inactives (and bugged in San Myshuno, unfortunately).
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    I wonder how long a semester will last and how many semesters it takes to graduate. I like the idea of one semester = one season and four seasons until graduation. This way we can experience university in spring, summer, fall and winter.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I wonder how long a semester will last and how many semesters it takes to graduate. I like the idea of one semester = one season and four seasons until graduation. This way we can experience university in spring, summer, fall and winter.

What about when one changes the lengths of seasons midway through? Will semesters change length with it then too? This is assuming ofc, there's enough to do in a full 28-day season if 1 semester is to equal 1 season.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I wish it worked the same way as in TS3. I really need that to be rotational players friendly.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    What makes you think they'll work?
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
    I wish it worked the same way as in TS3. I really need that to be rotational players friendly.

Good point too. How will semesters be handled when we're currently not playing with the current college household? This is an important question for me bc I'm a huge rotational player.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Based on what's in the live stream, it seems that one term is always a sim week, and there are no special college households. You can stay at home, live off-campus, or live on-campus, but otherwise they work like regular households.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 997 Member
    I still need to know what happens to your uni people when you switch to another rotation. I only have 2 families per game but if classes run when I'm not there and the sim doesn't go it might mean a fail???
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    They did say that time passes as usual for uni Sims. I keep forgetting to pay attention to whether Sims go to work when they're in a household I'm not currently playing so I don't know, but I'm guessing it'll work like that. And since there's also homework and papers to write, they'd likely also be not done and if your rotation keeps you away for longer than the "semester", then your uni Sims will probably fail those courses. :(

• FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    We dont know that. Surprisingly they have not really shown any of this off in the stream. I mean, i could use some basic info on what to expect on a pack that is about university and all.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited November 2019
    Each semester is 5 business days and the classes I noticed occur 2 (ETA: or 3) days per week. That doesn’t seem like a lot. If you miss a class, your grade must suffer quite a bit.

I am guessing the active household is the only one progressing through school while others are on hold for that time.
    Post edited by babajayne on
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 997 Member
    Ok, my unplayed rotation sims have jobs and it seems that when not played they are sort of in stasis, so I hope uni will work similarly. I usually only play 2-4 days with each family, not long periods away. Suppose I'll have to wait and see.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    I guess it will be lake with gardening. Plants taking so and so long to reach the harvesting status, but only active hours played on that lot will count. Same with household bills that are delivered every 7 (?) days. If you play a house only Wednesdays it should take you 7 *weeks* to get new bills. So, hopefully semester days count towards the active time, and not the general time.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    Regardless how it will work, the term days are fixed to 5 business days across the entire game, regardless of age length settings or calendar length. It's very restrictive imho.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Regardless how it will work, the term days are fixed to 5 business days across the entire game, regardless of age length settings or calendar length. It's very restrictive imho.

It’s restrictive so you have time to manage everything. It would probably break the system if the length could be changed all willy nilly.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    How will holidays affect it. I have mine set for two generic holidays a week (Monday & Tuesday), it works fine for grade school & high school, as long as they do all their homework & extra credit, but if the university schedules are like those typical of real life, would they miss some valuable class time with that?
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    ldmarko wrote: »
    How will holidays affect it. I have mine set for two generic holidays a week (Monday & Tuesday), it works fine for grade school & high school, as long as they do all their homework & extra credit, but if the university schedules are like those typical of real life, would they miss some valuable class time with that?

I think it's the same as grade & high school: if it's a "day off" holiday, there's no class but the homework and presentation requirements continue. Final exams aren't specific to a day so you can just take them on a non-holiday day.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member

School is restrictive.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    It’s restrictive so you have time to manage everything. It would probably break the system if the length could be changed all willy nilly.

Well they need to code their system better then. One sim week can be several years or barely a few weeks depending on the lifespan you play on, and making college last the same for all of them is stupid.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    happyopi wrote: »

Well they need to code their system better then. One sim week can be several years or barely a few weeks depending on the lifespan you play on, and making college last the same for all of them is stupid.

Earning a bachelor's degree is a matter of several years.

Then why didn't they restrict calendar lengths then, since if you change the length while the save has already generated the holidays then you'll end up with all your holidays all over the place?
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

Then why didn't they restrict calendar lengths then, since if you change the length while the save has already generated the holidays then you'll end up with all your holidays all over the place?

Because holidays don't have the same coding that university does? Holidays are simple, with a few tasks. You don't even have to have any created holidays if you don't want to. But University has more build in coding that runs the classes, activities, etc...
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• VageniusVagenius Posts: 487 Member
    It should be adjustable, 5 days is awful for my playstyle. I have my seasons set to 28 days so I can have proper holidays like xmas break for my kids and teens lasts a week and summer break I do for a few sim weeks. I was hoping I could kind of adjust the semesters more, it's very restrictive. I did see in the live stream when they were signing up for classes that it took 12 classes to finish the degree so I guess I could just take 1 or 2 classes a semester to make it take longer. I would have liked something like the seasons adjusting though. They didn't touch on that very much though so who knows it could just be a feature they overlooked.
    edited November 2019
    Eh, I'm sure a modder will once again give a solution to term lengths the way we want it. :) Like always...

See a need, fill a need! (Though we shouldn't always have to rely on mods)