Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

uni, rotational play & holidays

I don't know if this has been answered already, but how is attending uni going to work if you play rotationally?

If you rotate once a week or so like I do, I'm assuming that it'll be like working up through a career track, ie, I'm assuming your progress at uni 'freezes' when you're not the active household, and that you'd pick up where you left off when you play them again?

Also, what if you have seasons installed, and have a holiday (with it set to day off work & school, such as xmas) and you have a uni class fall on that day? does that class roll over to the next scheduled day like work days do?
Gallery ID: babysquare

Comments

• Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    Also, what if you have seasons installed, and have a holiday (with it set to day off work & school, such as xmas) and you have a uni class fall on that day? does that class roll over to the next scheduled day like work days do?

How it works wasn't answered, but one of the SimGurus (SimGuruAzure, I think) said she played with seasons and didn't notice any disruption to her classes.
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    BabySquare wrote: »

How it works wasn't answered, but one of the SimGurus (SimGuruAzure, I think) said she played with seasons and didn't notice any disruption to her classes.

Yeah I'm aware of her saying that too, and I think what she meant by that was she hadn't had any classes fall on the same day as a day off holiday (which would count as disruption) but I want to know what happens if they do fall on te same day.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    If you're playing with a full rotation of 4 classes (which she didn't say she was, to be fair), the odds of having a day without classes are pretty low. So I took it as the holidays were treated more or less like school holidays - where they don't progress but don't take any penalties either.
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    If you're playing with a full rotation of 4 classes (which she didn't say she was, to be fair), the odds of having a day without classes are pretty low. So I took it as the holidays were treated more or less like school holidays - where they don't progress but don't take any penalties either.

I thought so too - can't in fact think of a reason why it would be different, but I want to sure. Maybe when people have been playing for a while someone can confirm it.
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited November 2019
    They did mention that on holidays the cafeteria station would serve special holiday-appropriate meals so your sim could fulfill that requirement, which probably means that, even if you can't cook a Grand meal yourself, the institution will serve you one in the school cafeteria. I thought that was a nice detail.
  • Options
    RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    I hope that day off school/work for holidays includes class as well, but on the other hand, the acting career in GF doesn’t, so it wouldn’t surprise me if it didn’t.

As for rotational, I hope sims won’t progress unless you play them. I’m considering having my sims doorms as residential lots and adding roommates myself instead of risk having them thrown out of their dorm since they’re not students anymore anyway, Just to be safe.
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Urgh, I need to know this too! I stopped watching it half-way. I have a lot of different households and their kids will be going to the Uni (yes, without their consent :p). So far, I've been keeping track which households that I'll play after another. So, this is pretty much important for me if I want the kids to be either living on-campus, off-campus or at home.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    By my calculations, on normal lifespan our sims will be in college for 12 years.

Based on the idea that toddlers age from 1-5 years in7 days. So 1 week = 4 years.

Each term is 5 days, not counting weekends, so one week. With a max of 4 classes per term and 12 classes required, so a minimum of 3 weeks.

If I focus solely on my university sims, and the don't stay at home with their family, I could give them a potion of youth after two terms and they'd only age 4 years. But I'd have to play them for three weeks while playing the family for one week in the same rotation to keep everyone in sync. In my experience, that will make me bored with university because I will have to play through so much of it before I can rotate to someone else.

But I have to think about it a little longer. There's probably a way to make it work for me. I've already decided to wait a generation so I have some time to consider the options.

Good question about holidays and class time.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Rotational play will be a bit more difficult with DU. I have already downsized the number of households I have in a single save because of pets and kids. So having a grown child attending college while there are teens, kids, toddlers and pets back at home, will be a challenge as far as skilling and needs go. But that will make it all seem a bit more real. Time management is about to get more complicated for sure. But I'm not complaining because the game lacked depth and challenges, and DU will change that a bit. As far as the holidays go, I will probably shuffle those to Saturdays and Sundays so the uni students can some home for a visit with their respective families without disrupting their class schedules.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Daephene wrote: »
    By my calculations, on normal lifespan our sims will be in college for 12 years.

Based on the idea that toddlers age from 1-5 years in7 days. So 1 week = 4 years.

Each term is 5 days, not counting weekends, so one week. With a max of 4 classes per term and 12 classes required, so a minimum of 3 weeks.

If I focus solely on my university sims, and the don't stay at home with their family, I could give them a potion of youth after two terms and they'd only age 4 years. But I'd have to play them for three weeks while playing the family for one week in the same rotation to keep everyone in sync. In my experience, that will make me bored with university because I will have to play through so much of it before I can rotate to someone else.

But I have to think about it a little longer. There's probably a way to make it work for me. I've already decided to wait a generation so I have some time to consider the options.

Good question about holidays and class time.

-You can perhaps choose to pause aging on all sims for a week if you like.
    -Or do two weeks of Uni, take a break with the family for one week and then go back for the final stretch and end it with a bang.

I also play rotationaly and experiment with things to see what I like. Will do a test save to try Uni in before starting my precious main-save. Good luck.