Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's watch: The Sims 4 Discover University Deep Dive Livestream

Comments

• calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I thought it looked good, though I'm not familiar with juice kegs. Must be an American thing?

Other than that, I was disappointed with the rudeness and stupidity of the chat.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'm really happy that we can send them from home... we don't have to live there to go. Also that young adults on up can attend right? Happy that you can just go visit the campus like any other world even if your not enrolled, will be good for stories. Interested in seeing the roomate system more. All the robot helpers look fun to me and useful. Will be fun to make a Dr Emmett Brown type that has all of this stuff in his home. I gotta watch this again because it was a lot of info to take in.
    egTcBMc.png
  • SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    Can you play two college Sims at once?

Yes.

Three or more?
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member

Yes.

Three or more?

They were playing a household of 3 students in the livestream.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    @Bluegayle yes I would have preferred a llama mascot to that crab thing (was it a crab? I wasnt paying enough attention there).

I was also disappointed by the overall grade system really. I think it would have been good to have one uni where you had to be an A high school student to get in and the other would accept B or C but no lower. They gave the impression anyone could get in regardless, which makes working hard at high school a waste of time.

And there should have been certain careers which needed a uni degree to become unlocked. There doesn't seem a huge incentive currently to actually go to uni, apart from story telling purposes.

Hmm... I like this system where your sim can attend any university but each one have their own "extra good" degrees. So if you want the extra good tech-degree you go to Foxbury. Prefer the historical looking campus and I am happy that my students are not excluded from certain subjects just because I like the look of the other place.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

Yes.

Three or more?

Judging by what we saw in the stream, I would guess you can play a full 8 Sims household. Or rotate between several households who all live in Britechester, though that one might cause class failing havoc. There didn't seem to be a lower limit for how many Sims you can have enrolled in any given household.

And since there are, I believe, 10 Sims max per Student Housing lot, with an 8 Sim controlled household, you'd still get 2 NPC roommates (that's if I remember that Sim limit right).
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    liliaeth wrote: »
    So they just said ageing works normal. That means I will turn it off while on university. I hope it will work just fine.

Same.

So...basically...let's say I have a college student, their elderly parents, and their kid sibling.
    EA is saying that I have to choose between putting my Sim through college...or being there when the elders pass on/the child grows up?

Go into settings and choose that no one ages? I mean that is what I do when I do not want sims to age.

Your sim 'can' live at home while going to college.

Yes they can, I do not understand if there is a question here?
  • EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    Do you think you can kind of choose your roommates in dorms? I have sims from the neighbourhood who I want to be my sims roommates but I don’t want to control them.
  • LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    CAF84 wrote: »
    The forbidden items in dorms is a terrible prescriptive and restrictive mess. In the UK, halls of residence tend to be tiny self contained flats with a kitchen/communal room and then (usually) 6 single rooms. To restrict this to an American norm by introducing a new forbidden feature to stop dorms having kitchens is ridiculous. The idea that restricting features is somehow new and innovative and an actual feature of this pack is so stupid. Please reconsider this Gurus. Other countries have different norms - can we not realise our university experiences with your game? I am only going to consider buying this when a mod has come out fixing this terrible feature.

This!
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

• BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    edited November 2019
    MsTiquelle wrote: »
    Wow-another library and another bar plunked in.......I guess EA is too lazy to give us brand new lot types/venues. I have no hope for future packs,because they'll mostl ike have bars,libraries and gyms plunked in as well.

What's wrong with a library and bar at university?

Where I live, you have to be 21 to drink, so most students wouldn't actually be allowed in a real-life bar.

That is a really American thing though. Most of the world lets you drink at 18 (some even earlier), so University students drink a fair amount and having bars/clubs/pubs on campus or nearby is really common. I'm glad they're not making the University too American for once! I like they've skipped Greek houses, plus they said the weather is based on England & I was definitely getting British and European vibes from the whole world in general.

The first uni I went to, on the first day/guided tour sort of thing our lectures actively encouraged us to party & drink in one of the (many) on-campus bars.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    CAF84 wrote: »
    The forbidden items in dorms is a terrible prescriptive and restrictive mess. In the UK, halls of residence tend to be tiny self contained flats with a kitchen/communal room and then (usually) 6 single rooms. To restrict this to an American norm by introducing a new forbidden feature to stop dorms having kitchens is ridiculous. The idea that restricting features is somehow new and innovative and an actual feature of this pack is so stupid. Please reconsider this Gurus. Other countries have different norms - can we not realise our university experiences with your game? I am only going to consider buying this when a mod has come out fixing this terrible feature.

Not an American norm at all....
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

Things that I like:
    • World - I'm super happy that the world map is a good size, and that you can live there too!
    • Create-a-Sim - Probably my favourite new CAS items we've had in a long time. The clothing looks really comfortable and versatile.
    • Build & Buy - Again, a lot of the items are really versatile and I know I'll get plenty of use out of these items even if I'm not attending university.
    • Servo and robotics - Very happy to see this make a comeback! It's also nice that you can add your Servo to your household.
    • Choice of campus - I really like the option to pick between Britechester and Foxbury rather than one university campus.
    • Roommates - A nice addition to the university experience, I also appreciate that you can choose not to have a roommate if you'd prefer.
    • Locking computers - So happy to finally have this! This feature has been long overdue and at least our neighbors will actually be more social during the welcome wagon lol.
    • New music - Always appreciate new music in my game.
    • YA through Elders can attend university - I was already hoping for this, so this is awesome.
    • Option to take out a loan - Pretty handy and realistic too.

Things that I dislike:
    • No kitchen area in dorms - I'd rather my Sims didn't have to go to the cafeteria all the time to eat, it's far more convenient (and realistic) to have a small kitchenette. It would have been a great opportunity to include a slimline stove to match the mini fridge.
    • Children can't ride bikes - I may not be much of a family orientated player, but it's strange that adults can ride bikes but children can't.
    • No new traits - This is probably the thing that disappoints me the most. We desperately need new traits for our Sims, and there should at least be one or two that come as a standard with Game Packs and Expansions. I'm tired of using the same traits over and over and I want more variety when it comes to personality.
    • Lack of careers - For a pack that focuses on getting a degree to help further our Sims career, it's a shame that there's only three new ones to choose from. I was hoping for around five, especially since these careers are rabbitholes.

Hope you don't mind @PlanetSixam , I've used your post here as a template.

The world - looks nice, not great but not bad either. I'll be curious to see if they've got the British (our) weather right

CAS - I agree with you here completely - I'm normally vaguely interest in new clothing but quite a few of these items look perfect for most of my sims.

Build/buy - I might have missed it but I'm not aware of them unpacking each item on a big empty lot like they normally do so I'll need to investigate this further.

Servo/robots - personally not interested.

Campus - My sims would still live at home so I suppose this counts as not interested? unless we're talking about asthetics (see world)

Roommates - this will definately expand on the potential narratives of a lot of players but again, personally not interested.

Locking computers - YESSSS!!!!!!!! no more invited guests going off antisocially when I've invited them round on one of the seasonal holidays! FANTASTIC!! also...

..choosing a side of the bed - again something I've wanted for ages as I don't like it when my couples decide to 'swap sides', especially when woohooing for some reason.

Music - not bothered. My sims rarely if ever listen to music

YA+ at uni - happy adults and elders can attend as it's more realistic

Loans - meh. Not bothered

No kitchens in dorms - I agree completely. It's utterly bizarre and I'm angry about this (though if I were planning on using dorms I'd be far angrier)

No bikes for kids - not bothered as my sims don't have kids, but i understand why others are upset as it's unrealistic

No new traits - not really bothered

Lack of careers - I want more average wage, everyday careers (mechanic - not engineer, hairdresser etc).
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    EdithV wrote: »
    Do you think you can kind of choose your roommates in dorms? I have sims from the neighbourhood who I want to be my sims roommates but I don’t want to control them.

Yup, they mentioned this: you can either have Sims in the world who'll show up when you post an ad for roommates, or you can befriend Sims and ask them to be your roommates (instead of asking them to move in).
    Forgot to mention I really like the new foods. :)
  • EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member

Yup, they mentioned this: you can either have Sims in the world who'll show up when you post an ad for roommates, or you can befriend Sims and ask them to be your roommates (instead of asking them to move in).

Okay even in dorms?
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

Okay even in dorms?

Nope, just got to that part in the stream. Can’t choose dorm mates.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

So I'm confused;

You need to complete 12 classes to earn a degree and you can select up to 4 at a time, so what happens when you've completed those 4? does the selection screen appear again so you can select the next 4?
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I thought it looked good, though I'm not familiar with juice kegs. Must be an American thing?

Other than that, I was disappointed with the rudeness and stupidity of the chat.

I agree about the chat 🙄. I actually feel bad for the gurus. No matter what they do they can't catch a break. People just complain and demand. Hey, I'm not with the gurus maybe they are lazy maybe not, but I really think they do try their best to please us according to what they are working with.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • pearson3pearson3 Posts: 33 Member
    edited November 2019
    The stove restrictions on dorms is ridiculous. I really hope that will be modded out fast because I hate restricting options for no tangible reason in the Sims. At least there will be a cheat to use build/buy. Also, does anyone know if the organizations will be customizable, (like Get Together), or even editable at all? I have lots of ideas and the basic ones shown don't cover it all. I really want to make a sorority using it then have only sorority members in a dorm.

I wish the world was bigger. For 2 schools I thought it would have much...more. There's so few lots I'm not sure I can fit in the stuff I want like an actual gym and nightclub without severely resisting the off campus housing. 5-6 more empty lots would have been great. We need another Windenburg size city.

They didn't show much of the classes in the live stream. Will we be able to see class day/times before enrolling? If I have a Sim that works I'm going to want classes that fit his schedule, but it seems like you won't know until you're already enrolled. They made a point of balancing responsibilities but how am I supposed to make that choice without knowing when it is?
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    Just popping in to tell you I really LOVE SimGuruAzure. She's amazing, and I wish she could be boss of everything Sims forever. <3

She has been a favorite Guru of many of ours over the years.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

pearson3 wrote: »
    The stove restrictions on dorms is ridiculous. I really hope that will be modded out fast because I hate restricting options for no tangible reason in the Sims. At least there will be a cheat to use build/buy. Also, does anyone know if the organizations will be customizable, (like Get Together), or even editable at all? I have lots of ideas and the basic ones shown don't cover it all. I really want to make a sorority using it then have only sorority members in a dorm.

I wish the world was bigger. For 2 schools I thought it would have much...more. There's so few lots I'm not sure I can fit in the stuff I want like an actual gym and nightclub without severely resisting the off campus housing. 5-6 more empty lots would have been great. We need another Windenburg size city.

They didn't show much of the classes in the live stream. Will we be able to see class day/times before enrolling? If I have a Sim that works I'm going to want classes that fit his schedule, but it seems like you won't know until you're already enrolled. They made a point of balancing responsibilities but how am I supposed to make that choice without knowing when it is?

Would the enablefreebuild cheat not over come the, frankly bizarre restriction?
  • pearson3pearson3 Posts: 33 Member
    edited November 2019
    BabySquare wrote: »
    pearson3 wrote: »

Would the enablefreebuild cheat not over come the, frankly bizarre restriction?

I'm pretty sure they said there was lot requirement (or rather restriction) that if you did enablefreebuild and placed a stove on the lot, it would make the lot type invalid. So you could put one but it wouldn't let you save/function as a dorm until you removed it. I wouldn't mind if they just left stoves off their build for us to add later, but putting in a constraint on them is lame. I really doubt there's a software issue that's behind it, just their way to make it "challenging".

edit: 1:16:09 they said it
  • AkilAkil Posts: 253 Member
    edited November 2019
    The more I think about it the more I'm not even sure I want this pack any time soon. I'm super interested in the dorms but they are pretty tarnished by the 'wait through a loading screen every time you want a non-microwaved meal for absolutely no reason' mechanic. Artificial difficulty/annoyance for what. I'm all for the game being harder in a lot of ways. More danger, robberies, more chances of failure, ect. But this is just arbitrary.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    Well, it's not ideal, but you can always redesign the dorm to include the cafeteria buffet in a common area.
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,335 Member
    I didn't have time to watch the livestream, but does anyone know if she is actually in the game or if she (image below) was used only in the trailer?

75424781_2448922715220313_8259587568975216640_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_oc=AQm-w8CV3_BWrWcIrq0JVFLXQAm8a83h2cShn-lkXMNpMIbPKSxmv7L8Pmgm1tKhgnA&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc2-1.fna&oh=cf90a2ebda9025ea10d2f08d0db61d98&oe=5E491F4C