Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Discover University - Gameplay trailer

Comments

• KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    ...rabbit hole classes....smh...
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited November 2019
    lunaoddity wrote: »
    WolfNate wrote: »
    I liked the trailer :) I personally wish the majors are rabbitholes! I love to have secret society returning! Uni is my favourite at Sims2.

Lots of unpopular opinions, but we all have the right to have an opinion :)

What... Person wants Rabbitholes?!

It may be an "unpopular opinion" but there are simmers who prefer rabbithole careers over active ones. Or classes in this case. Including me.

Absolutely. My preference has always been for rabbit hole careers and classes. Let them go to work or class, zip through that and then lets get back to more sims stuff. The active lectures and whatnot of The Sims 3 University were a major impediment to my enjoyment of the pack. Evidently that is some sort of capital offense.
  • SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    I liked the trailer :) I personally wish the majors are rabbitholes! I love to have secret society returning! Uni is my favourite at Sims2.

It may be an "unpopular opinion" but there are simmers who prefer rabbithole careers over active ones. Or classes in this case. Including me.

Absolutely. My preference has always been for rabbit hole careers and classes. Let them go to work or class, zip through that and then lets get back to more sims stuff. The active lectures and whatnot of The Sims 3 University were a major impediment to my enjoyment of the pack. Evidently that is some sort of capital offense.

Rabbitholes were good enough for Sims 2, so they're good enough for me. :)
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Student debt? Haven't they heard of money trees?
  • AgentJuliaAgentJulia Posts: 77 Member
    first time I've ever seen my name used in the sims franchise and I was SO confused at first!! :lol: but this is so awesome I like all the housing options!!
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited November 2019
    After seeing the first trailer I was very intrigued by the pack as university is not a pack normally like. There were a lot of things in the initial trailer I liked. However after the gameplay trailer it doesn’t seem as interesting. I will wait for the livestream gameplay for my final opinion.
  • Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »

This is part of the reason I'm so hesitant to buy Get to Work. I like Rabbithole careers and they come in handy in large families. Just send your sim to work and don't worry about them for a couple hours. Unlike active careers where you need to decide whose needs are more pressing to take care of. I wouldn't mind if the new careers are active though but classes? no thank you!

I think DU looks like a fun pack from the trailer. I really want to know if elders and adults can attend university as well or if we need to cheat a degree for them to get access to new careers. I have no reason to think they wouldn't be able to, but the trailer seemed so show primarily YA sims. I guess worst case scenario I recreate Back to School using Vladislaus Straud since despite his appearance is technically only a young adult.
  • SiggDiggitSiggDiggit Posts: 143 Member
    This trailer is a lot of fun and I feel like i've learned just enough without spoiling it too much (I personally don't watch the maxis monthlys before playing new packs because I like to be surprised and discover things myself first, lol).

Aside from the obvious stuff there was a lot of little things I noticed that i'm super interested in; A new dresser or cabinet with a little open nook at 0:07? New posters, maybe? at 0:08 darkside of the plumbob, lol, on the left wall. A college theme kiosk at 0:31, what could they be selling, I wonder? Saw some new hairstyles at 1:08; extra long brown in the back, new short and curly in black, cute bangs in the front left and a new locs or microbraided side pony in the front right. Also, at 1:21, double nose piercings and double top buns <3 (plus, I can finally make accurate sims versions of my sisters and parents; lol, literally everyone has one or two nose piercings).

Also, also those robots were conversing with eachother, lol what are they up to? ;)

Also also also (sorry, lol, i'm excited), I'm sure it's been said but Julias overall skirt and sweater outfit is adorable and I love it.
    2f8164094dfe843e371b34f5333b4dff1d96e006.jpg
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    I never liked active careers either. Probably because I usually played rotationally with 3-5 Sims in each house, so it is annoying when the others have to be ignored to make any progress for one Sim in an active career.

It is actually kind of fun to play an active career if you have one house you're focused on. I had a bit of fun with detective and restauranteur for awhile. I just wish there were better mechanics for progressing through active careers on days you send them in to work alone.

What happens in active classes? Just curious what people envision to be fun in an active class :) I feel like I would just be punching that "3" button as my Sims sat staring at a professor. Unless maybe a robotics class, or something where there are more potential hands-on activities. Since I can't picture them myself, I would be interested to hear more about people's vision for active classes!
  • orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member

Me. Every career doesn't have to be active. I hope the teachers get to bring home papers to grade.
  • CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    I'm confused. Why are some people acting like you can't select the send your sim alone option active careers thus making it a rabbit hole career. Do people even play the get to work careers? You don't need to fellow your sim to work. The only careers you need to do are the freelancer ones and thats what like %10 of the careers we have. I don't understand why we can't have both options like we've had in the past when they add active/semi-active careers.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    Cheekybits wrote: »
    I'm confused. Why are some people acting like you can't select the send your sim alone option active careers thus making it a rabbit hole career. Do people even play the get to work careers? You don't need to fellow your sim to work. The only careers you need to do are the freelancer ones and thats what like %10 of the careers we have. I don't understand why we can't have both options like we've had in the past when they add active/semi-active careers.

I think people mean that although you can select to send your Sim alone to an active career, they don’t make much (if any) progress towards promotions when sent alone.

So if you aren’t a player that wants to play an active career a ton, it’s kind of pointless to have your Sim in one.
  • imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    Can I play as a college professor who lives off campus? That might be fun for a serial romantic sim.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    Cheekybits wrote: »

I think people mean that although you can select to send your Sim alone to an active career, they don’t make much (if any) progress towards promotions when sent alone.

So if you aren’t a player that wants to play an active career a ton, it’s kind of pointless to have your Sim in one.

What @popstarissa said. Both the Detective and Doctor career require the sim to accomplish tasks that are only available while actively following them in order to get certain promotions - most promotions, now that I think about it. So if you want to progress, you have to follow them to a certain extent. And that's 2/3 of the original active careers, so there's nothing to guarantee that a new one would require stuff you can do at home.
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    I can live with classes being rabbit holes but I'd want teacher Lawyer and engineering be an active career
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,406 Member
    I can live with classes being rabbit holes but I'd want teacher Lawyer and engineering be an active career

I am personally hoping for work at home careers. I find them more flexible when I have more sims in a household. Although it is a bit difficult to imagine a teacher work from home, away from his/her students.

But rabbit hole classes are perfectly fine for me.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited November 2019
    Atreya33 wrote: »

I am personally hoping for work at home careers. I find them more flexible when I have more sims in a household. Although it is a bit difficult to imagine a teacher work from home, away from his/her students.

Online classes for your work from home teacher. Tasks could be mark papers, create lesson plans. It would all be just computer interactions though. :/ It's likely not going to be an option, I'd guess it's a rabbit hole.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,406 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    Atreya33 wrote: »

Online classes for your work from home teacher. Tasks could be mark papers, create lesson plans. It would all be just computer interactions though. :/ It's likely not going to be an option, I'd guess it's a rabbit hole.

All full-time careers we have gotten after the athletic and business career patch are either active or work from home. So I have hope in this matter. Please note I am talking about full-time careers, not half-time careers like diver and lifeguards in Island Living.
  • FishyNamorFishyNamor Posts: 28 Member
    I just want to know if there's sororities and fraternities
  • Kathy090660Kathy090660 Posts: 813 Member
    The buffet looks neat I wonder if that works in other places than university
    newsims4siggg_zps62d6d1ba.png

A Rainbow is a promise of God
  • SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    The buffet looks neat I wonder if that works in other places than university

There's a buffet?!
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited November 2019

I want this too! Kinda doubt it but those could be such cool active careers. I'd love my sim heading off to court <3 but honestly I really don't think it will work that way. I think they'll be more like the CL careers.
  • Kathy090660Kathy090660 Posts: 813 Member
    Well on the first page of this thread there's a picture that shows sims in a cafeteria, in the background that looks like a buffet.
    newsims4siggg_zps62d6d1ba.png

A Rainbow is a promise of God
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited November 2019
    This is part of the reason I'm so hesitant to buy Get to Work. I like Rabbithole careers and they come in handy in large families. Just send your sim to work and don't worry about them for a couple hours. Unlike active careers where you need to decide whose needs are more pressing to take care of. I wouldn't mind if the new careers are active though but classes? no thank you!

The awesome thing about active careers is that you always have a choice. When it's time for your Sim to go to work, the game asks if you want to join them (active) or not (rabbithole).
    Edit: Oops, just got caught up on the conversation. Please disregard that comment. :)

I personally hope for active careers and active student-ing.

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley: