Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Classrooms - visitable gameplay or just rabbitholes?

2...Next

Comments

• CAITLINX354CAITLINX354 Posts: 157 Member
    IMO, class is probably the most boring part of the uni experience. And to those who played the Get to School mod, that stuff got so repetitive after awhile.

I personally am glad that classes are rabbit holes as it seems like they've focused on a lot of things you can do outside that might still help you in your major but are not required
  • MekoSharkMekoShark Posts: 161 Member
    gemjas wrote: »
    They are rabbitholes. It was confirmed.

I'm kinda disappointed. I had the Go to School mod, where you could send teens and children off to school and watch them. They sat in a lecture and there was a series of tasks you had to complete, like "ask teacher about [insert skill here]" and then you had lunch. You could disrupt the class by talking to the sim in the desk next to you and get a penalty. Or, you could do none of the tasks and just fail.

It was fun having most of my teens in one setting and it was an easy way for my sim to meet new friends during lunch. I had complete control of their academic life, and when I didn't feel like following them, there was an option to just send them off.

I wanted that for this pack, too. Playing with the mod was fun for me.

On the other hand, since I'm 90% positive a mod for active classes will come for college students, I'm not too bummed about this. It just means that they spent time on other aspects of the pack.

I'm also hoping that the modders can create an active class for Uni students as well, and maybe they could use some DU scripting to improve the school mod too.🤞
    Sharks need love too 🦈

• IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited November 2019
    I would have liked to watch classes and interact....I don't understand why people are OKAY with this...it's...-smh- .... -sigh- But that is my opinion....

Because it's boring sitting there watching a sim stare at a professor. Trust me, they tried it with TS3. It plum, especially when you had multiple students.

I actually loved seeing my sims in the lectures. It made the experience feel more real. And they could have included more interactions for our sims while in the classroom to make it less 'boring.'

However, I don't mind classes being rabbitholes this time, especially since it means we get more majors.
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    I've read how the classes were handled in the sims 3. People already complain how repetitive the GTW careers can be. Why do you want to do the same thing with classes 4 or whatever days a week? Just a waste of two loading screens.

I'm not at all upset that classes are rabbitholes.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    Classes were rabbitholes in the Sims2 and I still think it was a better gaming experience than the lectures we got in Sims3. So I'm very much okay with this.

This. I prefer to send sims to class then have them work on their skills and term papers. And still have fun.

People are treating TS3 University like the only version. I don't have TS3 University but I did play it briefly. The class structure of TS2 is much better considering the timed goals of active careers in TS4. Active classes in TS4 would probably include timed tasks while sitting in class to get good grades. Also, the game would generate badly dressed classmates. Or force half the YA+ population into being classmates.

• Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I am kinda disappointed that we don't at least have an interactive lecture. I don't mind not having the other interactive class that was usually outdoors, but I did enjoy the lectures. It isn't a big enough disappointment to keep me from enjoying and purchasing the pack though. I am still waiting for the live stream to show off more though.
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    As a graduated uni student, there's a lot more to uni than just sitting down. To be fair, in lectures you do generally just sit down, but tutorials (eg. sims 3's active classes) are pretty active.

There's speech-making, drawing (arty degrees), making stuff, coding, typing, talking over the tutor about your weekend etc. I would have loved to see this in ts4, along with all the rewards and consequences the actions bring. It would have been super amusing to see a sim who didn't study flub their presentation, or fail to hand in an assignment and get sternly spoken to by the lecturer/tutor.

I would have been fine if all lectures were rabbitholes, but for every class to be one is ugh. I think, for a pack titled 'discover university', there should be some actual university-ing in there, rather than just the #party #yalifestyle stuff.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Why didn’t they do something like the GTW careers, asking if we want to follow our sims to class or not and that way everybody would have been happy ? I’d like to at least have the option.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    My ideal: rabbit hole lectures and classes that Sims go to for attendance, then class prep/reading/papers/projects in between to boost grades.
    Kinda in line with elementary and high school that we have at the moment, with stuff to do for class depending on what the subject is.

Then if you take more classes you'll not only have time allocated out of a Sim's day when they're in class but also time to juggle to get everything ready for the next class, plus extra-curriculars and social life around all of that.

Even in specialized classes the tasks would likely get repetitive and boring real fast, if the current active careers are anything to go by.
  • IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    I'm actually kind of glad that they went with rabbit holes. The classes in The Sims 3 were nice and all but got pretty boring after a while. So instead of using resource on interactive classes I hope they put all that work into other more interesting gameplay.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I dont mind rabbit holes actually, only if they have this background noises that sims 3 have when sims visited a school or hospital, even simcity mobile game has it, it makes the the sims more lively
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    The robot thing is an extra-curricular activity or club you can do after class.

Disappointing, I was hoping for open class rooms like in TS3. :/
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.