Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Classrooms - visitable gameplay or just rabbitholes?

Hey, I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I want to know how much is known about classrooms.
But so far I haven't seen anything in official videos about in-class gameplay.
So I'm assuming the worst and that its rabbitholes, proven otherwise.
So what's the point then?
Please, I'd like to know your opinion.

Comments

• PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Frost confirmed they are rabbit holes.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    If they all would be rabbit holes it would be the dumbest thing ever. I assume these robot labs are a part of some sort of class? I surely hope it is not just a room where you have to fulfill tasks and other sims will never make a use of it.
    There is not much to say now I guess.. Will have to wait for the live stream.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member

I don''t actually mind classes being rabbit holes. I mean labs and similar hands on classes might be cool to watch, but I'm not particularly interested in watching my sim watch a lecture. At least when one sim is writing or playing video games at home, I can switch to another sim, and if there's no one home, the game speeds up (and sometimes the cats are cute to watch. Same with the video games, now that I think about it.)

I've never understood the appeal of active classes in the sims, personally, but I know there are mods out there to cover it.
  • scoedscoed Posts: 91 Member
    edited November 2019
    I am thinking the robot scenes are from the robotics club in Foxbury, not anything to do with a class or degree. It is confirmed all classes are rabbit holes. And yes it is the dumbest thing ever.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    As people have said, they are rabbit holes. But that's how Sims 2 did it and it was programmed in a way that was more about time management, still engaging and really fun. Sims 2 University was one of my favorite packs. So it really depends on how it's executed. There is still going to be debate and tech and I think rallys and stuff, and the devs did mention time management is important. But I guess if you're the kind of player who plays one Sim at a time in a realistic style, this could be discouraging.

I honestly don't feel that playable classrooms or lectures are fun since they aren't really actual "gameplay" because it would really just be your Sim sitting idle in a seat for a time period while the game plays itself in a predictable loop while nothing happens. Different people like different things, though.
    #Team Occult
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,414 Member
    edited November 2019
    Classes were rabbitholes in the Sims2 and I still think it was a better gaming experience than the lectures we got in Sims3. So I'm very much okay with this.
  • AngelluluAngellulu Posts: 634 Member
    So it is Rabbitholes... I'm more sure how to feel about that. I liked Sims 3 version of university more due to some open classes. I did play Sims 2 university, but being locked up in single building was kind of claustrophobic.
    I suppose I'll wait to see more info and then make my decision.
  • gemjasgemjas Posts: 211 Member
    edited November 2019
    They are rabbitholes. It was confirmed.

I'm kinda disappointed. I had the Go to School mod, where you could send teens and children off to school and watch them. They sat in a lecture and there was a series of tasks you had to complete, like "ask teacher about [insert skill here]" and then you had lunch. You could disrupt the class by talking to the sim in the desk next to you and get a penalty. Or, you could do none of the tasks and just fail.

It was fun having most of my teens in one setting and it was an easy way for my sim to meet new friends during lunch. I had complete control of their academic life, and when I didn't feel like following them, there was an option to just send them off.

I wanted that for this pack, too. Playing with the mod was fun for me.

On the other hand, since I'm 90% positive a mod for active classes will come for college students, I'm not too bummed about this. It just means that they spent time on other aspects of the pack.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    I would have liked to watch classes and interact....I don't understand why people are OKAY with this...it's...-smh- .... -sigh- But that is my opinion....
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited November 2019
    I would have liked to watch classes and interact....I don't understand why people are OKAY with this...it's...-smh- .... -sigh- But that is my opinion....

Shockingly, people have differing views, opinions and priorities. I think rabbit holes are preferable, as I found the classes from The Sims 3, and even the active careers of The Sims 4, to be tedious. I prefer for work or class to zip by as quick as possible so that I can do what I want with my sims.
    Classes were rabbitholes in the Sims2 and I still think it was a better gaming experience than the lectures we got in Sims3. So I'm very much okay with this.

I agree. I thought the University experience in The Sims 2 was far superior to that of The Sims 3. I see the inclusion of more majors, the return of multiple schools and the reappearance of rabbit hole classrooms as a return to form after what I viewed as a very disappointing University experience in The Sims 3.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    edited November 2019
    :disappointed: That sucks!! What’s university without classes ?! They could have done at least one active class.

Is the professor career active or is it a rabbit hole too ?!
    Frost confirmed they are rabbit holes.

• PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member

Because it's boring sitting there watching a sim stare at a professor. Trust me, they tried it with TS3. It sucked, especially when you had multiple students.
  • aleki_Shadimealeki_Shadime Posts: 27 Member
    I really don't mind them being rabbitholes because with the amount you would have to attend I would imagine it could easily get repetitive and boring. I can't see how they would be able to add much depth to them in order to make them worthwhile tbh. I would hope that there is a few options to interact with other students and the lecturer though, the same as the "make friends" option when a kid is at school.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    Exactly, classes don’t have to be just your sim sitting all the time, there could have been interactions : take notes, ask questions, sleep through the class, draw instead of taking notes, disrupt the class, speak with your neighbor, etc
    gemjas wrote: »

I'm kinda disappointed. I had the Go to School mod, where you could send teens and children off to school and watch them. They sat in a lecture and there was a series of tasks you had to complete, like "ask teacher about [insert skill here]" and then you had lunch. You could disrupt the class by talking to the sim in the desk next to you and get a penalty. Or, you could do none of the tasks and just fail.

It was fun having most of my teens in one setting and it was an easy way for my sim to meet new friends during lunch. I had complete control of their academic life, and when I didn't feel like following them, there was an option to just send them off.

On the other hand, since I'm 90% positive a mod for active classes will come for college students, I'm not too bummed about this. It just means that they spent time on other aspects of the pack.

Dianesims wrote: »
    Exactly, classes don’t have to be just your sim sitting all the time, there could have been interactions : take notes, ask questions, sleep through the class, draw instead of taking notes, disrupt the class, speak with your neighbor, etc
    gemjas wrote: »

Exactly, I would at least like that...TS4 is so lacklusting already...
  • SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    If they decide to do a high school and elementary school pack. That pack could be open class rooms on a community lot. Where you could see the children do activities and have behavioral issues.
    SnaveXs wrote: »
    If they decide to do a high school and elementary school pack. That pack could be open class rooms on a community lot. Where you could see the children do activities and have behavioral issues.

that'd be pretty awesome actually.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    If you guys didn't like the univeirsty non-rabbit hole in the Sims 3 Univeristy why, or why, why would you enjoy seeing your children/teen sims sit in a boring school?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    The robot thing is an extra-curricular activity or club you can do after class.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member

Because it's boring sitting there watching a sim stare at a professor. Trust me, they tried it with TS3. It plum, especially when you had multiple students.

So watching your sim disappear in the air when going to the class to speed time up to they come back is more fun? Lol

University classes in real life are boring and this is a simulation of university..I honestly don't understand people..
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    graventhe wrote: »

Because it's boring sitting there watching a sim stare at a professor. Trust me, they tried it with TS3. It plum, especially when you had multiple students.

So watching your sim disappear in the air when going to the class to speed time up to they come back is more fun? Lol

University classes in real life are boring and this is a simulation of university..I honestly don't understand people..

If it is boring they can do what they do with work -- drain the fun motive. Having the rabbit hole enable the player to zip past the class and get back to playing is a good thing, in my estimation.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member

Not if you have a sim you're playing back at the house. I rather be able to speed up time and get the Sims home so my sims can go to a festival and stuff and then have them do basically nothing in a classroom.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    If you guys didn't like the univeirsty non-rabbit hole in the Sims 3 Univeristy why, or why, why would you enjoy seeing your children/teen sims sit in a boring school?

People build schools. I'm sure they wouldn't mind being able to turn a lot into a legit public schools without mods. Something's in University wouldn't be in a grade school expansion and they could focus more on the social aspects of children and teens.
  • graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »

Not if you have a sim you're playing back at the house. I rather be able to speed up time and get the Sims home so my sims can go to a festival and stuff and then have them do basically nothing in a classroom.

There are 1000 festivals in the game, they are all repetitive and boring, people dont get this, most festivals in game are just recycled ones from other packs, the events that you're excited about in university are just a reused ones from existing events with minor changes..you'll see

Being able to go to class and control what to do in class adds huge immersion and real feel of university and few events that are recycled from base game (study events, a bunch of students sitting together reading books! So much fun!) Isn't going to make up for it..
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member

It was rabbitholes in The Sims 2 and I enjoyed it much more than The Sims 3 Uni