Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Discover University - Gameplay trailer

Comments

• SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,125 Member
    I'm exited for the two contrast universities, the teacher career & the cloaks. It's perfect with Realm of Magic.
  • shannonavashannonava Posts: 20 Member
    I'm really excited to see some of the gameplay but I'm also hoping lots of additions are missing?? it doesn't seem full enough to me. BUT then I often think this of Sims 4 advertising & I'm then really impressed with the actual game content so idk
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Wow! I'm glad everyone else has pretty much expressed my thoughts because I have no words. But I am impressed that they made a gameplay trailer with no gameplay in it. Congrats devs. Did anyone notice what was missing from the trailer? No one was riding a bicycle, anywhere. I saw one leaning against the house, but that's it.

I hope everyone realizes that they have gotten better at making nothing look like something. There are no sports but you can join a sports club and everyone can kick a soccer ball by themselves together.

And while the secret society looks good in their robes and masks, why are they in another hidden world (and they told us that not enough players use the two hidden ones we already have) or is it one of the ones we already have? Doesn't matter because a secret society should meet in a hidden room in the basement or attic plotting how to take over the world. So what's with the magic stuff and being "Blessed"?

And someone (young apparently) please tell me what "Julia is a whole mood" means. Is that another silly phrase like "It made me feel a certain way"? Of course you felt a certain way, you're alive and thinking and breathing. You feel all day long, every day. Great, now I'm a whole mood.

It's good to see the cafeteria but unless it can be used outside of the pack in the real world, it might as well be a bicycle.

I do give the devs credit for one thing. Anyone remember a teacher telling a kid (or you :D ) that if you put as much effort into actually studying as you do into trying to get out of studying, you'd be class valedictorian? Devs, you could be class valedictorian.

I'm very confused. Most of the info you're going off of is unconfirmed, like sims being unable to play soccer together. Maybe they thought players would use this secret world because it comes with a creepy secret society that everyone seemed to love in Sims 2 (I never played). I'm also assuming the cafeteria is part of the school itself... and since we don't have active school, why would we need a cafeteria anywhere else? And I never had class valedictorians growing up.

Just my thoughts and opinions... I'm sorry, I just hate it when people bash things that they haven't played yet.

Well, granted, I'm no expert, but I have been playing the Sims for twenty years, so I am familiar with the way Maxis does things. We were told from the start of the info for this pack, that our college sims could "kick around" a soccer ball. In the first trailer we see a girl kicking around a ball and it hits another student in the head. That, IMO, is not "playing" soccer. And having a soccer club that meets in the stadium(?) to individually kick around a soccer ball as a group, is hardly equal to a collegiate intramural sports program. The sims will never have team sports because it would need too much programing to make it work even half decently. The closest we will ever come is the current basketball playing that came in CL, and no one seems to give a carp about it.

And college secret societies are normally about wealth and power and how to get more of it and keep it, not fairy magic in a magical fairy glade.
    The robes will be useful for my covens, but knowing Maxis, they probably must be unlocked to be used out of the secret society. They keep the good stuff locked away. As for that secret world, why give us another hidden glade when the info they get about how we play, doesn't support a hidden world. That's why they gave us three lots that were not hidden, but special, in GT with Windenburg.

Hopefully, you're no longer confused.

Those robes won't stay hidden for long. LOL Too many players are going to want those for their RoM characters and vampires. I'd bet twenty bucks on the modding community finding a way to unlock those robes in less than a week after DU is released. It took one modder two days to release the 'missing' island counters for Island Living, so I have no doubt the same thing will happen with the robes. And you have to admit, those robes do look pretty awesome. Too awesome to be locked away if that is how the devs want to play it. You and I have been playing this game for twenty years, and if we have learned anything from this, it's the fact sports has never been a group activity in any of the iterations. Two to four Sims at a time is all we can hope for. Heck, I'd be happy with tag being brought back for our Sim kids. It was one of the cutest activities ever introduced, and I am bummed it hasn't made it into Sims4. I miss the kid and dad playing catch, the kids playing tag, the great snowball and waterballoon fights. Sigh. The memories. They make me nostalgic for the good old days when new gameplay made me go 'Wow, that's so cool'. Now it's more along the lines of ' Well, bleep, it doesn't bleeping work! '
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    Wow! I'm glad everyone else has pretty much expressed my thoughts because I have no words. But I am impressed that they made a gameplay trailer with no gameplay in it. Congrats devs. Did anyone notice what was missing from the trailer? No one was riding a bicycle, anywhere. I saw one leaning against the house, but that's it.

I hope everyone realizes that they have gotten better at making nothing look like something. There are no sports but you can join a sports club and everyone can kick a soccer ball by themselves together.

And while the secret society looks good in their robes and masks, why are they in another hidden world (and they told us that not enough players use the two hidden ones we already have) or is it one of the ones we already have? Doesn't matter because a secret society should meet in a hidden room in the basement or attic plotting how to take over the world. So what's with the magic stuff and being "Blessed"?

And someone (young apparently) please tell me what "Julia is a whole mood" means. Is that another silly phrase like "It made me feel a certain way"? Of course you felt a certain way, you're alive and thinking and breathing. You feel all day long, every day. Great, now I'm a whole mood.

It's good to see the cafeteria but unless it can be used outside of the pack in the real world, it might as well be a bicycle.

I do give the devs credit for one thing. Anyone remember a teacher telling a kid (or you :D ) that if you put as much effort into actually studying as you do into trying to get out of studying, you'd be class valedictorian? Devs, you could be class valedictorian.

I'm very confused. Most of the info you're going off of is unconfirmed, like sims being unable to play soccer together. Maybe they thought players would use this secret world because it comes with a creepy secret society that everyone seemed to love in Sims 2 (I never played). I'm also assuming the cafeteria is part of the school itself... and since we don't have active school, why would we need a cafeteria anywhere else? And I never had class valedictorians growing up.

Just my thoughts and opinions... I'm sorry, I just hate it when people bash things that they haven't played yet.

Well, granted, I'm no expert, but I have been playing the Sims for twenty years, so I am familiar with the way Maxis does things. We were told from the start of the info for this pack, that our college sims could "kick around" a soccer ball. In the first trailer we see a girl kicking around a ball and it hits another student in the head. That, IMO, is not "playing" soccer. And having a soccer club that meets in the stadium(?) to individually kick around a soccer ball as a group, is hardly equal to a collegiate intramural sports program. The sims will never have team sports because it would need too much programing to make it work even half decently. The closest we will ever come is the current basketball playing that came in CL, and no one seems to give a carp about it.

And college secret societies are normally about wealth and power and how to get more of it and keep it, not fairy magic in a magical fairy glade.
    The robes will be useful for my covens, but knowing Maxis, they probably must be unlocked to be used out of the secret society. They keep the good stuff locked away. As for that secret world, why give us another hidden glade when the info they get about how we play, doesn't support a hidden world. That's why they gave us three lots that were not hidden, but special, in GT with Windenburg.

Hopefully, you're no longer confused.

Those robes won't stay hidden for long. LOL Too many players are going to want those for their RoM characters and vampires. I'd bet twenty bucks on the modding community finding a way to unlock those robes in less than a week after DU is released. It took one modder two days to release the 'missing' island counters for Island Living, so I have no doubt the same thing will happen with the robes. And you have to admit, those robes do look pretty awesome. Too awesome to be locked away if that is how the devs want to play it. You and I have been playing this game for twenty years, and if we have learned anything from this, it's the fact sports has never been a group activity in any of the iterations. Two to four Sims at a time is all we can hope for. Heck, I'd be happy with tag being brought back for our Sim kids. It was one of the cutest activities ever introduced, and I am bummed it hasn't made it into Sims4. I miss the kid and dad playing catch, the kids playing tag, the great snowball and waterballoon fights. Sigh. The memories. They make me nostalgic for the good old days when new gameplay made me go 'Wow, that's so cool'. Now it's more along the lines of ' Well, bleep, it doesn't bleeping work! '

Modders seem to be able to get a lot of things done that we want or fixed and a lot quicker than EA does it. I'm still waiting on the proper potion fix....

I miss all of the interactions that you have mentioned. I also should think something like tag would be easy to implement since it requires no objects. I miss my sim kids of TS3. Pillow fights? A lot of what made them so endearing would actually take no extra objects so I don't really understand why we have taken so many steps back? Oh but I do, and this trailer proves it. #blessed #lifegoals *eyeroll*

It's pretty clear now who EA is pandering to and it's certainly not older players. 20 years ago, I was the younger player, but I feel like there wasn't the divide between young and senior. Now I feel like they're driving a wedge. I felt like before it catered to all age groups, I was 20 and loved it, while my 40-50 year old friends loved it for the same reasons. Surely there must have been an in between (yet again) that they've missed.

It was a cute trailer but Julia certainly isn't a "mood" for everyone. Just a very specific someone.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,667 Member
    So she took out a loan while still in university, after she lost her scholarship, to get a second chance. I was thinking it would be like in TS3 where you had to wait to for the week(s) to be over if you wanted to change things. That’s neat, but how long can sims be there for

Must have been a Sims loan shark cuz no bank would loan money to a slacker even if she is the mood and feels a certain way. Maybe the repoman loaned her some money but she has to work it off repoing other peoples stuff. :D

Ay, I'd love that! Not only tidy bank loans, but also loans offered from a more shady side of community. The repoman could be just one source to turn to, but probably a loan from him would be a lot more bothersome in the go.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,667 Member
    Re cantina.... I don't understand what is the different between a uni cantina and a regular café? Except we maybe need Get Together to have a café in our game? Isn't these two technically the same? A counter object for buying small dishes and a variety of drinks?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    the blog mentions figure painting, sounds like easels would be getting some upgrade.
    What else does UBrite offer? On game day in the Britechester Spirit Corps Organization, your Sim can socialize, show off their dance moves, maybe do a keg stand, and promote Dragon pride. If they want to explore their creative side they can head to the canal by the commons for some outdoor figure painting with the Art Society. And they can socialize or go head to head with some of the university’s best and brightest in the challenging Debate Guild.
    y'all got bread?
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    mika wrote: »
    Ancaryvan wrote: »
    1st time ever, a sim can speak language we, real world, can all understand. BUT... her sims friends cannot understand what she is saying at all! :D
    Lawyer: Rabbithole job?
    Engineer: Another Rabbithole?
    Professor: Definitely Interactive.

Pretty sure her friends did understand her, they were just stunned by her wild story. Simlish is the sim equivalent of English.

For me simlish is the equivalent of language in general, any language not only English. I thought that was the point of using simlish in the first place, to have one language to be heard for all simmers in all languages. My sims in my game are not pretending to speak English.

I rather consider the trailer to be simlish speaking actors who are dubbed for the English speaking viewers who don't understand simlish. ;)
    could y'all just imagine the trailer being narrated in simlish, i mean it might be a great fun treat for players, but i think it's gon be stupidly childish and unprofessional. it's like ur presenting a ukranian trailer on an english audience.

besides, i don't think anyone on earth could really understand a full simlish sentence other than phrases.
    y'all got bread?
  • TurloughdudeTurloughdude Posts: 662 Member
    No new factories? Bummer. Are we ever gonna see new factories? Like a candy factory or a soda bottler?
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I watched my first horror movie in my media studies class. My teacher was delighted that I'd never seen it before.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I think that was easily the cringiest Sims trailer I've ever seen :# We get it, this game is for the hip and cool teen girls of the world, but geeeeezzzzz, the 'hashtags' and other weird slang and the way the voice actress spoke were so off putting.

Hilarious how this is the 2nd trailer, the GAMEPLAY trailer, and yet still nothing showing anything to do with classes. Is this a university pack or a "my life is so #crazy and so #weird, but so #fun, and and I love to #party, oh and I also just so happen to be in #school" pack? Seriously, they glossed over anything that actually related to school just to tell a story about this obnoxious girl. Where are the actual details about what's offered in the pack? Where is the schooling? What about the degrees? Jobs? The campuses? Literally all of that was ignored. This was supposed to be the trailer to tell us about what's new and interesting about this pack, but instead they just rushed through everything and used it as mere background for the unnecessary story.

Doesn't make the pack look appealing in the slightest In fact, it just makes the pack come across as void of content.

I dont know why y'all think they should appeal to you instead of the newer, younger generation. It makes complete sense for TS4 to mostly target teens and young adults as they have the most spending and staying power and are what brings attention to the game. Nobody cares what kind of music or things the 30+ folks are into for a reason. It's basic marketing. As cringy as it seems, this is what the target demo responds to, especially on social media platforms as I see many young women all over twitter and instagram referring to it as the "best trailer" yet.

Hate to say it, but the majority is all they're concerned about and the majority of Sims 4 players are young people / women. And the devs only come on the forums for ideas of what unique objects/mechanisms to add to the game, not really for our overall opinions and critiques. They're more active on twitter.
    @Camkat EA might think they have a new, younger fanbase, but that isn't what I am seeing among the group of players I know. My granddaughters are very disappointed in Sims4. And they're all teens. They all fall within EA's target demographic. But they prefer Sims2 and 3. I am also seeing this with the children and grandchildren of people I introduced to the Sims franchise years ago. So when EA and the gurus talk about this 'target demographic' I have to wonder where their information came from. Did this info come from polls done only on certain web sites that cater to just teens? Did someone wander around the streets of Seattle, LA, Chicago or New York with a clipboard and stop teenagers to ask certain questions about their gaming preferences? I just have to wonder why and how EA came to the conclusion they needed to alienate the players who have been with the franchise since it began. When is it ever a good thing to do that?

The one thing that is totally different in Sims4 that was not in the previous iterations, is this obsesssion with social media. The fact we must be involved in some form of social media during the course of day to day life has been blown out of proportion, and has become the focal point in Sims4. My oldest granddaughter said she went back to Sims2 because of the emphasis being placed on social media in Sims4. She said she plays her Sims games to take a break from texting and reading about what other people are doing every minute of their day. Coming from a sixteen year old, that says a lot about where society is right now. That is the target demographic EA wants. EA wants to take the Sims franchise from being a sandbox game and create a multi-player online game with it. This was their plan while Sims4 was in development but the uproar from the Simming community stopped it from happening. So they went with another tactic. Sims4 mobile and Sims4 on consoles. The success EA has had in these two new markets will change how the Sims franchise goes forward. It has already changed Sims4 as we have seen with the last few packs, and I don't expect it to change for the better any time soon.

So, when is it ever a good time to alienate players? Right now. While they have the attention of many new players, who are heavily involved in sharing everything in their life, with anyone who will pay attention to them. That's my take on why Sims4 lacks depth and why so many of us feel as if we don't matter now. I don't want to share my gaming time with other players. But there are many who do want that choice. Did EA set out to deliberately make Sims4 a disappointing game so we'd quietly leave the franchise? There are times when I believe that is exactly what EA wanted.

2020 will be an interesting year. The first new pack of 2020 will give us a clue as to what they will do with the Sims franchise. One thing I am hoping for now, is for DU to be a good EP. The uni players have waited a very long time for it and I want it to be a good experience for them. So perhaps once this pack is released, the teams will get to work on adding more things for the kids to do. I hope so. I forgot about the pillow fights. Those were fun. The expressions on their faces were hilarious. And the kids jumping on the furniture. So darn cute. <3

• BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Hearts4u wrote: »
    I pre-ordered when I watched the first trailer and one of my favorite Sims youtubers. Yet, I really liked this trailer as well. That is the beauty of the Sims 4 in my opinion—you can create your own reality and variety. Yet, you’ll always have varying views that will always make one LOL. Looking forward to Discovering University during my own gameplay. Happy DU Simmers!

I agree with this! People complain this showed no gameplay but the sims was always about creating your own reality with the provided tools. Atleast I thought so?
    I know I'm already plotting to design my own cafeteria. Since there are no active classes like I wanted I am going to use these custom school desks I have and design my own class rooms with activities to complete. And use whatever tools provided to create my own reality and stories I'm going to come up with. I think this pack is going to be a blast combined with everything we already have!🤗🤗🤗

And for people open to mods and cc, I'm sure they will come up with awesome enhancements!
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I know from my personal experiences chatting with various simmers over various sites, servers, and forums, a lot of them tended to be middle-aged women in their late 20s-early 40s or gay men in their 20s, and I don't encounter many teens as much as I would've thought. Many of these older simmers I've bonded with and became great friends! :D
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
    @mika i have to agree, i don't want this pack to focused mainly on classes and lectures, i need more mature drama too, plus, i actually find the trailer entertaining or what not.

however, the only reason why some people complain about TS4's young demographic is cebause of the game being dumbed-down, simple, shallow, at too cartoony. simple as that.
    y'all got bread?
    @Paigeisin5 Just because your granddaughters are in the target demo doesn't mean they represent it. As I said, the majority are not of your opinions. As soon as toddlers were added, there was nothing stopping TS4 from making money. You can come on here and cry all you want about it not being like the old iterations, the complaints are irrelevant and won't change a thing, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. The old iterations are still there, nothing is stopping you from playing them. I strongly disliked TS3 so I mainly played TS2 until TS4 came out. This iteration is new and should be original anyways, not a rehash of what we've already had. Tell your granddaughters to wait for TS5 because if you don't like TS4 at this point already, you never will.

At the end of the day, for all the complaining people do, 80% (probably more) are still buying the packs. Money is all that matters when it comes to this, not our nostalgia or whatever unless it matters to the target demo (like University does). And once you accept that reality you'll be much happier .
    @mika i have to agree, i don't want this pack to focused mainly on classes and lectures, i need more mature drama too, plus, i actually find the trailer entertaining or what not.

however, the only reason why some people complain about TS4's young demographic is cebause of the game being dumbed-down, simple, shallow, at too cartoony. simple as that.

I get that. But there's nothing that'll change about it. Time to find enjoyment in it or just move on. I still enjoy TS4 and what it's packs offer, but a lot of people on the forums are wasting their time writing think pieces and still paying for a game they hate. Couldn't be me.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I've said it before and it applies here too, there's a whole middle ground missing. It's entirely possible for EA to have new simmers in their teens and us older folks too. TS2 and TS3 did it and made content to target us all. They could for example include all the social media options but have less emphasis on it. I do feel like they're pushing the older group out. Sure the younger groups have disposable income, for now. When they move out of their parent's house they sure won't! Us older simmers also have money too, after being established and budgeting for a few years, promotions etc, so it's not like we don't have money to burn either. ;)

@Paigeisin5 I find the information about your grand daughter's gaming habits interesting also. I assumed this was the age group that kind of marketing was meant for. I'm sure some are, but like you, I'm curious to know where they did their market research then.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    Didn't care much for the trailer. Having a toddler and going to Uni is a life goal? Thought that was weird. Also, where was the gameplay?
    He/Him
  • mrkingvmrkingv Posts: 103 Member
    edited November 2019
    It may seem odd to some how their marketing works, or their targeting, but its definitely working for them. Or else Sims 4 wouldn't still be around - with more years planned. Money-grabbing as the company is, they will obviously aim for the most profitable target, and right now, it's not the older players (since most of them are not sastified with the game). You may not see this audience around mainly because you're most likely to search for communities where you fit in.
    I'm not a defender of Sims 4, on the contrary. But also I'm not delusional.
    GKOVUiH.png

Forum Discussion • Read it HERE
    mrkingv wrote: »
    It may seem odd to some how their marketing works, or their targeting, but its definitely working for them. Or else Sims 4 wouldn't still be around - with more years planned. Money-grabbing as the company is, they will obviously aim for the most profitable target, and right now, it's not the older players (since most of them are not sastified with the game). You may not see this audience around mainly because you're most likely to search for communities where you fit in.

Finally someone gets it, thank you!!! Even if some of the devs care, their bosses don't. And their bosses are in charge of their paychecks. Money is legit all that matters to all of these companies. Only the newbie indie developers are somewhat concerned with appealing to an overarching audience. But that all changes once they get big too. Seen it with my friend's husband who was one of the first developers for Telltale Games (RIP to them)
    mrkingv wrote: »
    I'm not a defender of Sims 4, on the contrary. But also I'm not delusional.

exactly, if i were some video game company or somthin, i would do that, i mean it'd be healthy for my business a'ight. but i'll not be forgetting them folks who've been always with me from the start. thank u for coming to my ted talk
    y'all got bread?
    @Camkat I've been wondering about that for five years, too. LOL When Christmas rolls around there won't be any Sims4 packs on anyone's wishlist this year. That's a first in my house. The granddaughters are content with the updates. I think the last packs I bought for any of them were Seasons and Cats and Dogs. It's too bad EA can't find the middle ground where everyone gets something they want in a new pack. I don't hate Sims4. My only wish is for it to be a better game before it ends. I play this game for hours, but I play a lot of other games as well. If I really hated Sims4 I wouldn't bother coming in here and speaking up at all. I'd just leave and wait for Sims5. But it's nice to come here and discuss the game with players who have been with the franchise for years, and know what I'm talking about. LOL And I have no idea how much I have spent over the years on this game. Between myself, kids, grandkids, friends....it has to be in the thousands after twenty years. But it was money well-spent. I have had thousands of hours of fun in return. And that is priceless.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member

I didnt even realize that the cafeteria was there at the end :o

I'm glad that's there. I was hoping there would be or have that guy who cooks for you like in sims 2 university.

Also "Julia is a whole mood" in this context meant that they found her character to be very relatable. It's kinda hard to explain. Youth slang doesn't always make sense.

I know I'm old and there's things the youth of today say and do that I just don't get but, it seems at odds to create a trailer for a university EP for our sims to seek higher learning and have Julia talk as if she too cool to talk like the adult she is trying to be. I highly doubt that a lawyer speaks like she did and if my kids teacher did, I'd find a way to home school them. :D

Did you use the slang of your day when working in official capacities at your place of employment?