Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

am i the only that thinks the sims 4 looks empty?

comparing the sims 4 to sims 3 in content the sims 4 looks almost barren which is why i dont really like the sims 4 as much. it lacks depth and i feel other than san myshonu , delsol valley and sulani (sorry if i butchered the names XD) look great and detailed. but when ever i play the sims 3 i always feel overwhelmed by the amount of stuff i can do!

i just wanna know other people opinions on this

Comments

• duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited November 2019
    Its not just you for sure. Sims 3 felt like an adventure to me. There was always something new to do and something new to discover. I still go back and play my Sims 3 and typically find some little thing that I never found before (or just don't remember having found) Sims 4 has some wonderful features, but as far as pure, unadulterated content, Sims 3 always felt like a bigger world from base game on up through the expansions and stuff.

That said, I'm excited for university and hopeful that it adds in some of the great content I long for.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    @MidnightAura is right in saying Sims3 needed mods so we could play it. But Sims4 needs mods to make it more fun to play. I'm using 93 mods right now and most of those are tuning mods that nuke all the irritating autonomous stuff. Some mods are bug fixes. Some are Quality of Life mods that add some weight to relationships, and consequences for bad decision making. If not for mods, Sims4 wouldn't be taking up space on my PC. A large section of the fan base feels the same as you do @adamzaid. Sims4 is pretty darn shallow and empty when played without mods of some kind.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    @MidnightAura is right in saying Sims3 needed mods so we could play it. But Sims4 needs mods to make it more fun to play. I'm using 93 mods right now and most of those are tuning mods that nuke all the irritating autonomous stuff. Some mods are bug fixes. Some are Quality of Life mods that add some weight to relationships, and consequences for bad decision making. If not for mods, Sims4 wouldn't be taking up space on my PC. A large section of the fan base feels the same as you do @adamzaid. Sims4 is pretty darn shallow and empty when played without mods of some kind.

I agree! It's mods that has saved my game for me. If I didn't have them...I wouldn't play like AT ALL.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    Some of us use no mods in Sims 3 or 4 - I fixed my Sims 3's routing so it does not lag and my sims 4 did not need any mods to make it fun - I have plenty to do and fun in Sims 4 as well as in Sims 3. It simply takes playing both games to make them enjoyable - not mods. My trick is play every household differently. Half the time people will play the households alike or few households and that in itself can get boring quickly.

But if you like playing with mods and CC there is nothing wrong with that either. My Sims 2 has a good deal of CC - Maxis match mostly to get the colors and matching build and buy things. Sims 2's only issue to me is the lack of color choice - but it is a finished game and I never have to worry about the CC breaking in a finished. That is my main object to CC and mods in Sims 4 - it's an unfinished game and I hate the hoop jumping of constantly having to replace stuff - never mind it can sometimes mess up your saves. So I have a rule never to use CC and mods in unfinished games.

Owning everything in sims 3 made mods unnecessary especially after I fixed my own game. I didn't see a need for CC I can color my own stuff so CC was pointless for me - but sure it might be necessary for others and that is okay too. There's a lot of real talented players out there so I can see why a lot of people use mods and CC.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited November 2019
    While i can understand the frustration in the lack of progression and depth, something i've been trying to work around the past 1,000 hours now, unfortunately this is what TS4 is. With that stated i run only four mods, one of which is MC. Right now it is very playable, but still i'm going to be looking for other mods that have the desired impact in improving this game some more.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 783 Member
    Even Sims 1 has more replay value than Sims 4. I wish EA would put Sims 1 Complete Collection out on Origin so I culd play a REAL Sims game again....
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,426 Member
    Agreed. Despite the amount of DLCs I have for TS4, it always feels like there's something missing. But then again, the game was made on an engine more limited than TS3 and omitted a considerable amount of content and attention to detail from the predecessors.
    9d1z2m12k175.png
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I play rotational family play and I never feel bored or like there isn't enough to do. I don't use cheats and I like to make sure most of my sims achieve all the things they want to achieve in life so to me it feels like there is plenty to do. Maybe it just depends on how you play?
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Defenitely not alone.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • AyeffenAyeffen Posts: 258 Member
    I personally really did love The Sims 3.

I got to spend a lot of time in the run-up to release and subsequent to release doing gameplay preview and review. Way back in 2008, I was lucky enough to meet the exec producer Ben Bell and have a demonstration from him prior to release in a fancy hotel somewhere in London. Later on we then got to test it ourselves prior to release.

One thing that blew me away at the time, and that I still miss today, is the Create-a-Style with the full colour palette available to the player to customise practically anything in the game. This added a lot of texture for me as a passionate builder and decorator, but I know it made a difference for those that took pride in their Sims' appearance too.

The Open Neighbourhood was also a literal game-changer and really made it much more interesting for me as a player. The lot-to-lot approach we have back again from The Sims 2 isn't a welcome change for me although I realise we have the nice communal/wild areas between them to explore to obtain collectables. On the other-hand, the transitions from world to world in The Sims 4 are much more fluid though.

I both enjoy and resent the pre-packed world content which is inaccessible by the player. Seeing buildings and houses in my neighbourhood that I have no control over makes me pretty unhappy, being the control-freak that I am. That said, it is effective in making me feel that these areas are more urban than we've normally been able to experience in previous iterations.

I also think that the building tools are somewhat more forgiving - once you know what you're doing. :lol: I dreamt of being able to pick up a building and just move it before when you'd ended up a bit too close to the boundary or misjudged the size of the lot you placed. :lol:
    1NraNSJ.png
    My Gallery 🏠 | Gamer 🎮 | Husband 👬
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Playing different "stories" helps me keep things fresh. But I know it won't always be the case. TS4 is funny. It did a lot of things right especially after TS3 but ... It does feel kind of bland at times especially after all these years and DLC.

I don't regret buying it all I really don't. I've had lots of great times with TS4. I just have a huge wishlist of things I want in the game.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    I think the worlds look great but in terms of the UI, it's kinda lacking. I kinda like that cluttered UI look TS2 and TS3 has. XD But maybe it's cuz a lot of the tabs in the TS4 UI is minimized... 🤔 I don't know.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited November 2019
    To me, it does feel pretty empty in scale compared to TS2/TS3. It's even worse when you consider how TS4's development has lasted just about as long as TS3.

Personally, I think its problem is that it was designed too much like the other games, but nearly everything is a lesser version of something we already had. Because it's designed so similar, we expect the same content over and over again, and then get disappointed when they're unable to either give us what we already had.

I think they really have to shake things up with The Sims 5. As long as they stay away from online connectivity, but go after improving the life sim genre, I think they'll have no problem doing it. I just don't have much hope from the studio that thought releasing snowball fights with two Sims having their backs towards each other was acceptable though, honestly. I'd love to have that trust in Maxis again, but with each DLC release, it's been going lower.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I don't feel The Sims 4 is empty - far from it. I also don't compare it to The Sims 3, as the two games were made very differently. I grow weary of this neverending comparison game between the two. A lot of things were not right with The Sims 3. People tend to forget that in their glorification of it. Just saying :)

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    I don't feel The Sims 4 is empty - far from it. I also don't compare it to The Sims 3, as the two games were made very differently. I grow weary of this neverending comparison game between the two. A lot of things were not right with The Sims 3. People tend to forget that in their glorification of it. Just saying :)

This summed up what I was going to say! :D I also remember the comparisons between Sims 2 and 3 were rife while Sims 3 was still in development. Same old complaints, different target. Now all the things that were awful in Sims 3 are suddenly golden. :)
    I think it does depend on how you play and what you're looking for, like @Sharonia said above. I also play a rotational game and I'm never bored because there's always something to do. Each family has different dreams for the future (aspirations etc) so they have different interests and hobbies and therefore, different places they'll want to go. I've never enjoyed a game as long as I am this one <3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Agee with the OP. TS4, to me at least, is a mile wide and an inch deep. TS2 is still my favorite version, and even though I've been playing it since its launch day I still encounter things I've not seen before and there are still roads I've yet to go down.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    edited November 2019
    @adamzaid you're far from the only simmer to feel this way. Just browse the feedback forum and you'll find other like minded simmers with whom you can discuss the (supposedly) decline of the series.

Post edited by simgirl1010 on
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 888 Member
    No, I don't feel like it is empty. I enjoy playing it. I don't enjoy it or 3 as much as I enjoyed 2, it was and still is in my opinion the best of the series, but I enjoy playing them all, and I don't think they have to compete with each other, I like them all for different reasons and when I want to experience the others, I go back and play them. Thankfully I have a computer that can run all of them and have all of them installed.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    There is this youtube channel which contents are a comparision between each sims 2 franchise, and boy everytime i watched its videos, it came as a suprise for me that some of the feature that i have never find out in a previous game, I do have spent roughly 500+ hours on the sims 3 and still find something new to do. i have hundreds of mods for the sims 4 and yet it still doesnt seem as fun as previous games.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • justlexijustlexi Posts: 57 Member
    I think so, there are so many elements that this game needs in order for it to stand out compared to the previous games series.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I play rotational family play and I never feel bored or like there isn't enough to do. I don't use cheats and I like to make sure most of my sims achieve all the things they want to achieve in life so to me it feels like there is plenty to do. Maybe it just depends on how you play?

I feel exactly like you do. My Sims and game are never boring so I don't get it when people talk of it feeling empty.

I do enjoy playing a lot of households and try to play everyone very differently - it's easy to do there are many options that make this possible. But one thing I don't play are mean or evil sims - but if I did that would give me even more options - I just can't bring myself to playing those kind of sims though.

My only complaint really is the small size of some of the worlds and no way to build my own or make the small worlds bigger. Like I said I love playing a lot of households and wish I had the room for more lots.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• cody6268cody6268 Posts: 642 Member
    In TS3, lots of stuff to do in and about the world. In TS3, not so much. And I have noticed--TS3 worlds are huge. For example, Willow Creek (the main base game world) only has twenty-one lots. Sunset Valley (the main base game world) has ninety-two. In TS3, there's lots to explore in those worlds. Really irks me how the covered bridge in Brindleton Bay has such a prominent place in-game; with even paintings of it. Yet, your Sim can't visit it.