Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Find the matching uni and major for your career!

Comments

• @DaWaterRat @PlayerSinger2010 @Daephene @lunaoddity @HCSau

Thank you for your input! I understand way better now :smile:
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    What would athletics fall under?
    I DON'T see anything Athletics would fit into neatly though; the lack of a major in athletics or physical education seems like an odd oversight to me.

Athletics isn’t a typical college major, at least not here in the US. The closest thing you can major in is something like exercise science or kinesiology. Those majors are rather niche and it makes sense that they’re not here. Even most college athletes do not major in these areas.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Okay but this isn’t IRL, there’s a villany major 😑😑😑
    Want to atleast send my sim on an athletic scholarship
  • caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    Very happy with the selection we got. :) I hope each major has at least a new special social interaction (It would be perfect if it was an object, but I'm not getting my hopes up for that)
    he/him
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member

Athletic scholarships could still be in the game. There is an athletic scholarship in TS2, even though that game also doesn't have an athletics major.

That's how it works in real life too. Athletic scholarships are for people who play sports in college as an extracurricular activity, not as an actual major they study in.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »

Athletic scholarships could still be in the game. There is an athletic scholarship in TS2, even though that game also doesn't have an athletics major.

That's how it works in real life too. Athletic scholarships are for people who play sports in college as an extracurricular activity, not as an actual major they study in.

In today's blog post they confirmed that there is a athletic scolarship with DU. "There are tons of scholarships and grants available for both academically and athletically gifted students, as well as need-based scholarships."
    he/him
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Culinary Arts sounds perfect for my boring, picture-perfect sim.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited November 2019
    They better cover ALL jobs and future jobs to be edited in as well. Is that maybe why they wait so long for this EP? Hmmm..

Art History, Culinary Arts, Language and Literature, Fine Art, History, Drama and Communications
    Biology, Computer Science, Economics, Physics, Psychology and Villainy

My sims are in: Social media career, Economics, Freelance DJ, Archeology and an Actress. I can see them all fitting in right here, even the freelance one. Hope this uni pack REALLY has a fleshed out system on degrees and their effect on jobs. I wish sims have to apply for jobs with a diploma, skills and experience. It is TOO easy to get any job which is just ridiculous to me. Give my sims something to work for that gives meaning to their lives.
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    What would athletics fall under?
    I DON'T see anything Athletics would fit into neatly though; the lack of a major in athletics or physical education seems like an odd oversight to me.

Athletics isn’t a typical college major, at least not here in the US. The closest thing you can major in is something like exercise science or kinesiology. Those majors are rather niche and it makes sense that they’re not here. Even most college athletes do not major in these areas.

Hm, I guess that's true. Maybe I'm thinking it's more common than it is because I added it to the fake university I set up in my game. :D

Sports management is a degree at a lot of places but it's also pretty niche - but was it in Sims 2 or 3 that the sim could get a sports agent career if they went to college? Something like that would have been a nice addition but I certainly wouldn't trade one of the three announced careers in DU for it.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    A really nice mix, but I wish we had a physical education one.
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    I think the distinguished degrees are advanced degrees.

As for how majors line up with jobs:

Law -- economics, psychology, villainy, language and literature, history, communications
    Engineering -- computer science, biology, physics
    Teaching -- all 13

Explain that to me? If I take Psychology and Lit I can be a lawyer?
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Erja888 wrote: »
    Villainy

I know what my sim's first major will be!
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    i've been looking at some of the sims i want to send off to college (...and also wondering if sims can attend 'from home', esp already married ones or the like. and would love if adults/elders could attend, too) and pondering what majors they'd take ...and also wondering if minors are a thing or not, since they've never been mentioned

a few line up perfectly, like the daughter of my alien supervillain who is obviously majoring in villainy to make her daddy proud (...with a tech-focused minor if those exist)

others aren't so obvious, like the afore-mentioned athletic, (nonvillainous) secret agent and detective careers... and astronaut...
    i've got two sims in my 'stellar academy' household who are planning on becoming space rangers and uni seems to be the perfect time to finally age one up from teen and send them off, even though the other two members of their household are supposed to be staff at their academy (the headmaster is a space ranger, himself, and the alien scientist in the household is meant to be one of the instructors... who is going to be getting any kind of hidden/reward traits related to virtually all the foxbury majors...)
    i just can't quite figure out what their major would be... maybe physics?

...i'm almost tempted to make 26 tester sims in four households... one of 6 for the foxbury distinguished, one of 7 for the other foxbury majors, one of 7 for the britechester distinguished, one of 6 for the other britechester majors (to see what the differences between distinguished and regular majors wind up being) and seeing what all they get as they graduate... but that's a lot of effort...
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    Culinary Arts here I come!!

That's what I was thinking as well! I love cooking IRL. And the Sim I currently have as my avatar is one of my favourites, Janette Dubois. According to her bio she already got her Grand Diplôme at Le Cordon Bleu in Paris, but maybe I will send her back to Uni. On the other hand, she has already progressed so far in the career that perhaps she should have a child with Shaun Bartlett, the cute restaurant owner that I was thinking about hooking her up with anyway, and then that Sim could go for the Culinary Arts degree? I don't know yet, but I am looking forward to having to make that tough decision. :D
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited November 2019
    It covers all the careers in The Sims 4.

It has been done.

Edit: Removed that Star Wars line my math-concussed brain added.
    Post edited by nerdfashion on
    funny-gifs20.gif

• NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    But in all seriousness those type of careers could potentially come from History, Language and Literature, Communications, Computer Science, Economics, Psychology...uh, Villainy... Law enforcement in reality would have their own training program or academy.

Normally a career athlete does not gain that career by getting a degree in it. You train. If they get a degree, it might be sports physiology if they didn't make it big in pro sports or they are looking for what they'll do after the generally short career trajectory pro sports has. But you don't need a college degree to be a pro athlete, nor do you need one to be a pro coach. If you're going to go into sports medicine, sports-related physical therapy, or become a high-profile trainer, that would fall under Biology even though it's not the same thing as molecular biology.

Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    So glad Biology is included! My main is 'canonically' an entomologist, he can actually get his degree now! (And I had already decided on Foxbury!)

Totally giving Johnny Zest a scholarship to do Communications at Foxbury. Take that, Nancy!! Might send the Vatores to UBrite? Culinary Arts for Caleb, Fine Arts for Lilith. Lilith would also join the soccer team. All the girls at both schools have crushes on her.
  • ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

Can you guys explain the difference between a degree and a distinguished degree? I don't recognise the system :smile:

Seems like it's been switched around so we can study all degrees at both universities?

I don't recognize the system either, but if I had to guess it may be similar to Bachelors vs Masters/Doctorate? I know my daughter's school offers more options for undergraduate study than graduate study. (She'll need to switch schools for her Masters, for example)

I had not paid attention to the difference, but that would be a fantastic feature, so one could potentially experience both schools depending on what they wanted to do. That makes it even more interesting!

• paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    So I'm trying to understand this but, how do these different degree types work? You could study one major at one college with a normal degree, but the same one is more advanced of some sort in the other college?
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • CAITLINX354CAITLINX354 Posts: 157 Member
    So I see a lot of speculation that "distinguished" means advanced degree or like a masters program...do we have any definitive proof of that? because if so I might actually cry tears of joy that my one true wish list item for uni will be in game.
  • raybigbearraybigbear Posts: 369 Member
    I think that distinguished = speciality
    Foxbury is a tech college so it makes sense their distinguished degrees would be STEM related
    Britechester is a liberal arts college so theirs are the arts and humanities degrees
  • LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,827 Member
    raybigbear wrote: »
    I think that distinguished = speciality
    Foxbury is a tech college so it makes sense their distinguished degrees would be STEM related
    Britechester is a liberal arts college so theirs are the arts and humanities degrees

This is what I was thinking @raybigbear
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,223 Member
    I'm already planning where the heirs of my four stories are going. The one who's already working as a conservationist I could see taking extra classes in biology or communications depending on which branch I pick for her. Might have her be the one who brings her toddler to school.
    The teen who already has one published book to his name is obviously going to be the Language and LIterature major.
    The one who never quite earned an A in High School is going to try for an atheletic scholarship, but I have no idea which degree I want him to pursue.
    My alien will be trying out the lawyer career, I'm just so curious about that one. Might put him in the robotics club as well, since his grandfather, aunt and great uncle were all scientists.
    image.png
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    edited November 2019
    so we get Psychology...will there eventually be a therapist career? I would SO love that!
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Too bad there is no supernatural major of any kind. Granted, there are so far no supernatural careers in the game either, but who says the degrees will exclusively affect careers?

As for the athletic career, I don't know if studying sports at university is in any way similar to your standard P. E. lessons at school, but at my school, some P. E. lessons were entirely theoretical, teaching about the biology of the human body and how sports affect it. So out of the degrees we've been given, I assume Biology would be the best preparation for the athletic career, I guess?