Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I just rediscovered this game through sound

SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
And - wow! I just played a session that totally rocked! I normally play with sound from two semi good speakers, and it all worked good. But today I used headphones for the first time (I hate having anything covering my ears) and wow again! There are so many sounds that I didn't notice earlier! Smaller sounds in the far background, or silent sounds summing from misc machines and stuff near my sims. I spent 1 hour in a science lab and did not want to leave. So many funny atmospheric sounds all over the place!

As you walk and turn the sounds change. They always did that, byt getting them right on my ears and hearing so many more smaller sounds, made the 3D environment extremely rich. It feels a lot more like actually being in the same room as your sims. Same with traffic jam and birds and wind - it really felt like being there!

Just wanted to share this. It was so cool, and although I can't use earphones for every game session, I will check out other sceneries, other worlds. Sylvan Glade was fantastic and intense, and I think there was even a female voice there tryig to lure me to that pond where those red eyes are waiting. I can't wait to rediscover Whiskerman's Wharf, or the Forgotten Grotto, the docks at Spice Market, Wilow Creek hospital, the pet graveyard near the lighthouse, or the backstreets of San Myshuno... even the Muffin baking machine seems tempting now, lol :)

If you normally play with speakers, try headphones!
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Comments

• SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Aww... thank you for such a wonderful post. It is fun to read about people enjoying their gaming.

I always play with headphones and I agree, sound really makes a huge difference.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Haha I have only played sound off completely really. Maybe I'll have to try this :)
  • MelmackMelmack Posts: 212 Member
    I Love playing with headphones on too! Feels so much more immersive. Especially when you are zoomed right in, or in first person mode. It's the only way to play for me.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    edited November 2019
    Playing with headphones is fun. You really don't realize how much you actually do miss. Random thought, I wonder what playing with headphones and in first person would be like. I feel like it would add a whole new level to gameplay, hmm. May have to try that later.

Edit: @Melmack said the same thing about first person and I overlooked it. Oops.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I don’t know how anyone can game without headphones.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Interesting idea. Need the headphone first, though. A pond in Sylvan Glade has red eyes in it? Took a sim there day before yesterday, wandered all over the place, and never saw it/them.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    edited November 2019
    Interesting idea. Need the headphone first, though. A pond in Sylvan Glade has red eyes in it? Took a sim there day before yesterday, wandered all over the place, and never saw it/them.

I don't think the eyes are in the water, but near by. You can't miss them if you see them. Look for the small river... ;)
  • alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    edited November 2019
    okay random tangent time that's sorta related to this thread: when i first got the game i had the game volume turned all the way up and i listened to every sound, but now i play with the game volume turned down and with Spotify playing music. on those rare occasions i turn the game volume back up to hear the in game sounds, i'm blasted with nostalgia from those earlier days of playing and it honestly feels like i'm playing a different game all of a sudden. i find it fascinating how things like sound can change one's perspective so drastically
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
    alyssa123 wrote: »
    okay random tangent time that's sorta related to this thread: when i first got the game i had the game volume turned all the way up and i listened to every sound, but now i play with the game volume turned down and with Spotify playing music. on those rare occasions i turn the game volume back up to hear the in game sounds, i'm blasted with nostalgia from those earlier days of playing and it honestly feels like i'm playing a different game all of a sudden. i find it fascinating how things like sound can change one's perspective so drastically

Re nostalgia,,, The TS1 sounds has that effect on me :) Not only the music, which is still brilliant, but typical sounds like their TV, fridge closing and alarms etc thrown me right back to year 2001 :)
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    I don’t know how anyone can game without headphones.

I don't use headphones. None of the ones I found so far are comfortable (darn glasses interfering) and I normally need to not shut out the rest of the world.

This thread is making me want to use them more though.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    All games are enhanced with headphones. You hear a lot more in the sims 4 with headphones.
  • CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,377 Member
    I used to use headphones but now I'm unable to due to a medical problem that using them makes me very dizzy, but I really miss them. I'm glad others simmers enjoy a truly immersive game experience. Happy Simming!
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    Yes, it can be a fantastic experience for some, but for me, I have to stay attuned to what's going on in my household all around me. I found wearing headphones made me focus solely on the game. Not good should a child or dog go into destructive mode … Plus, during that timeframe I played in my office which was on the side, near the back of the house. If I had headphones on I wouldn't notice someone knocking at my front door. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    And - wow! I just played a session that totally rocked! I normally play with sound from two semi good speakers, and it all worked good. But today I used headphones for the first time (I hate having anything covering my ears) and wow again! There are so many sounds that I didn't notice earlier! Smaller sounds in the far background, or silent sounds summing from misc machines and stuff near my sims. I spent 1 hour in a science lab and did not want to leave. So many funny atmospheric sounds all over the place!

As you walk and turn the sounds change. They always did that, byt getting them right on my ears and hearing so many more smaller sounds, made the 3D environment extremely rich. It feels a lot more like actually being in the same room as your sims. Same with traffic jam and birds and wind - it really felt like being there!

Just wanted to share this. It was so cool, and although I can't use earphones for every game session, I will check out other sceneries, other worlds. Sylvan Glade was fantastic and intense, and I think there was even a female voice there tryig to lure me to that pond where those red eyes are waiting. I can't wait to rediscover Whiskerman's Wharf, or the Forgotten Grotto, the docks at Spice Market, Wilow Creek hospital, the pet graveyard near the lighthouse, or the backstreets of San Myshuno... even the Muffin baking machine seems tempting now, lol :)

If you normally play with speakers, try headphones!

I had a similar experience! I turned the music down and the background sounds up in settings, and now I love hearing all of those interesting sounds!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I saw a poll here once and was shocked by the amount of people who play this game with no sound. It was not a small minority. Can’t remember how high it was, though. I use regular speakers- not sure if headphones would improve it for me because some sounds are louder than they ought to be, such as TVs and singing, and some talking in general. Sometimes I zoom out to turn it “down”. But I could never play with no sound or even worse, some completely unrelated audio.
    babajayne wrote: »
    I saw a poll here once and was shocked by the amount of people who play this game with no sound. It was not a small minority. Can’t remember how high it was, though. I use regular speakers- not sure if headphones would improve it for me because some sounds are louder than they ought to be, such as TVs and singing, and some talking in general. Sometimes I zoom out to turn it “down”. But I could never play with no sound or even worse, some completely unrelated audio.

I was surprised by how many small sounds there are, especially like you say when close up. Like sounds from the dining table, even when sims don't talk there is the sounds of activity that I never noticed before. Btw, I do play with music turned very low, but that was not enough for me to notice small sounds on those speakers. Had to use headphones... not sure if they are technically designed not to appear on regular speakers, I'd assume that would not be possible though as my speakers and headphones use the same out-line jack.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    babajayne wrote: »

I was surprised by how many small sounds there are, especially like you say when close up. Like sounds from the dining table, even when sims don't talk there is the sounds of activity that I never noticed before. Btw, I do play with music turned very low, but that was not enough for me to notice small sounds on those speakers. Had to use headphones... not sure if they are technically designed not to appear on regular speakers, I'd assume that would not be possible though as my speakers and headphones use the same out-line jack.
    I put the volume up high enough to hear those little things. Maybe that’s why some things are so loud in contrast.
  • ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    Speaking of sounds, anyone know what that weird sound (strange music?) at the Mid-NoWhere lot is supposed to be?
    Arzekial wrote: »
    Speaking of sounds, anyone know what that weird sound (strange music?) at the Mid-NoWhere lot is supposed to be?

In what world would I find Mid-NoWhere lot?
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I use a set of Bluetooth earbuds to play because being tethered makes me claustrophobic but yes, the detail they have put into the sounds in this game are amazing. I really love Granite Falls in the summer. It sounds like a real campground and takes me back to when we would go camping when I was a kid.
  • ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    Arzekial wrote: »

In what world would I find Mid-NoWhere lot?

Windenburg, on the island.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited November 2019
    I found wearing headphones made me focus solely on the game. Not good should a child or dog go into destructive mode …

I’m a headphone-wearer, but if I’m looking after my little one, I can’t play at all. My headphones would prove ineffective when she starts climbing up on me and blocking the monitor. And poking the monitor. :)
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    What are y'all doing not playing the game without headphones or earphones? Missing out so much.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif