Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Discover University - Gameplay trailer

Comments

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,354 Member
    liliaeth wrote: »
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    And this house is super cute.

ikswrFB.png

I like the masonry in the middle and the doors.

It looks like it might be one of the dorms, with a stairway heading to the upper rooms..

Except that in the video, that was the house shown when she said "moved off campus" So it's probably more like student rental housing
  • Simlie20Simlie20 Posts: 59 Member
    wait a minute...I think I'm going crazy, I thought I posted a discussion but it's gone and my post is here now?????
    giphy.gif
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    They probably just merged the threads.
    Simlie20 wrote: »
    wait a minute...I think I'm going crazy, I thought I posted a discussion but it's gone and my post is here now?????

• EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    edited November 2019
    Dianesims wrote: »
    They probably just merged the threads.
    Simlie20 wrote: »
    Not crazy at all! Merged a couple discussions together as both were about the trailer. Better to have all the opinions and comments together :) Feel free to DM me if you have questions about that.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited November 2019
    Just saw it. Have to say I am not a fan of seeing The Sims also follow these social media hypes, hashtags and terms etc. It is a bit off putting for me and I feel too old for this stuff. Then again I feel the focus is only on a certain target group. But ok..

I did like to hear about student loans and hope they come in debt (Did not realize the pun I just made:p). Like choosing different types of loans that have a different % to pay off the debt. And perhaps a sudden offer with discounts etc. Why do i remember this was a thing in The sims 3???

I still did not see anything about the system of classes, open/closed? Online classes? What about the majors and what they can turn your sims into? The hardness level of uni? All though I am sure they made that one realistic enough as they did a good job with the fame system compared to previous games and they seem to really learn from stuff like this. THAT is a good things about The sims 4 though.

I am also sure they will show off the essential points of the education system in the live stream, so it actually all begins there for me. Let's see.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited November 2019
    Are all Universities in the USA just like highschools? This pack couldn't be more trash, not a lot of gameplay was shown either, or explained for a gameplay trailer. And I guess the trailers with the voiced over sims are more appealing to children and airhead highschool students since this is suppose to cater to them? I'm sorry but I'm not touching yet another pack with a ten foot pole. Not to mention those same costumers will see this trash and think sims can actually put up instagram stories in the game when that isn't true and it's not even a feature listed for this pack, false advertising Maxis, well done. Pandering 10/10.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    I really hope Julia and the brunette that have been in both trailers feature in the game, I love them both and want my sim to marry one of them. The game looks really good after this trailer, I do hope we have active classes and that we have NPC roommates though, but I am excited for it now, just give it to me!!!
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Just saw it. Have to say I am not a fan off seeing The Sims also follow these social media hypes, hashtags and terms etc. It is a bit off putting for me and I feel too old for this stuff. Then again I feel the focus is only on a certain target group. But ok..

I did like to hear about student loans and hope they come in debt (Did not realize the pun I just made:p). Like choosing different types of loans that have a different % to pay off the debt. And perhaps a sudden offer with discounts etc. Why do i remember this was a thing in The sims 3???

I still did not see anything about the system of classes, open/closed? Online classes? What about the majors and what they can turn your sims into? The hardness level of uni? All though I am sure they made that one realistic enough as they did a good job with the fame system compared to previous games and they seem to really learn from stuff like this. THAT is a good things about The sims 4 though.

I am also sure they will show off the essential points of the education system in the live stream, so it actually all begins there for me. Let's see.

Yes I didn't see ANYTHING to really do with the class aspect or anything of the sort.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited November 2019
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I can't make up my mind about this pack, not even after this trailer xD I just rewatched it a few more times and man I do like parts of it, but ... I guess I'll just have to watch the stream for this one and see how I feel about it then :) Right now, I've got bigger fish to fry anyway, called: should or should I not buy Planet Zoo?
  • PurpleSweetTartPurpleSweetTart Posts: 167 Member
    edited November 2019
    I wonder if that lake is swimmable.

Outlook Doubtful. That would be too awesome. When it comes to awesome gameplay for new packs, EA most often disappoints. Proof of this fact: Busted kitchens in Strangerville or just Strangerville in itself. No bathrooms in the expensive houses in Get Famous, color mismatches in Island Living, a completely broken and uninteresting whim system, the need for patches and workarounds just to play on MacOS Catalina. I could go on,

All the cool looking videos we see are heavily edited so you see what EA *wants* you to see. I went to university to study communication with a focus on audio/video production. I know how to edit everything from documentaries to acting auditions videos. Please understand: Every Simmer is going to be disappointed one way or another. Many of us are already disappointed: We're getting bathroom stalls (how many years have we been asking for build/buy objects that were already available in TS3? Most people blame the game engine but I think that they only give us so much because they want us to keep buying packs,) but we are not getting bunk beds, which would have been perfect in a university setting. We're getting debate teams...do people really care about debate teams? I don't. I think it's just another way to use the GT club system, which I think they rely too heavily on. I'm glad we're getting new careers, but let's be honest: It's not that difficult to max out your career in the first place. It's also not that difficult to complete aspirations or get a "perfect sim." It just takes time. (A sim who has all his/her/their skills maxed out.) This is only my opinion. We need a higher level of difficulty, not a debate team. I hope that all the university goals reflect the difficulty of going to university in real life, but I doubt it.

Post edited by PurpleSweetTart on
    edited November 2019

In case you haven't noticed cat, they are using the elevators and apartments from City Living to do the dorms. You can clearly see the "build mode buildings" on top of the fx buildings in the trailer, in one of the neighborhoods. It'll probably be the same teleport up and down situation.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Julia is a whole mood. Can't wait for the pack to release

Also, did anyone notice she said "they're gonna take my stuff"?? Is that referring to the repo man returning?
  • PurpleSweetTartPurpleSweetTart Posts: 167 Member
    Wait, are they functional or is it just like the ones in City Living? Sorry, I'm confused.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Only thing I don’t like is how small the dorms are. She switched into 3 dorms and they all seem like a small square. And that’s all cause outside the walls are either the hallway or a bathroom or elevator. Hopefully we can’t rent a lot like in TS3
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    What is the difference between degree and distinguished degree and why are the degrees/distinguished degrees the same for both of the schools but just swapped?

And what are E-sports? Mentioned in the blog. And I swear they are taking that "juggling a soccer ball" so literally. That's all we've seen them do. At least you can do it with another person.

And there's like only 6 after school organizations. 3 for each school. And 2 of them are "spirit" clubs which is like a walking pep rally. I mean guess we always have the get together clubs to make more.

Didnt look there were frats or sororities which I didnt really care about because both are disgusting. The secret society kinda felt like a replacement for that feature.

Also cool, we can have children while in school :)

Wonder if the careers are active or they were just staging it for the trailer?
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    Only thing I don’t like is how small the dorms are. She switched into 3 dorms and they all seem like a small square. And that’s all cause outside the walls are either the hallway or a bathroom or elevator. Hopefully we can’t rent a lot like in TS3

I like it, it makes it different from appartments. that and dorms are supposed to be small.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

In case you haven't noticed cat, they are using the elevators and apartments from City Living to do the dorms. You can clearly see the "build mode buildings" on top of the fx buildings in the trailer, in one of the neighborhoods. It'll probably be the same teleport up and down situation.

I thought they were from the pack.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Another trailer, and again I don't feel I've learnt anything new, although how anyone can regard juggling the parenting of a toddler with simultaneous full time education as '#lifegoals' I'll never know.
    Gallery ID: babysquare

I thought they were from the pack.

They are, but they are recycling them from CL.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    Are all Universities in the USA just like highschools? . . . Not to mention those same costumers will see this trash and think sims can actually put up instagram stories in the game when that isn't true and it's not even a feature listed for this pack, false advertising Maxis, well done. Pandering 10/10.

@Sigzy05 No, Colleges and Universities in the USA are not like high schools. They are very diverse. Each has its own unique culture from state, to city, to private, small, large, elite, HBCU (historically black college and university). Very very unique with different customs and culture. I have attended a public college (SUNY = State University of New York) and two private universities for graduate school in two different states and the culture at each of the three institutions I attended were like night and day.

This is a game. They tend to focus on a stereotypical "college/university" experience. But it is not necessarily atypical.

As for the instagram. There is social media in the game and a simstagram that sims can post to and update their social blah blah blah. I have my sims use it all the time. Don't remember if it is base game or if it came with City Living or Get Famous, but my sims use it.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

Heh, I was actually thinking that those are about twice the size of the room that 3 people shared in my old dorms. The two people room had space for literally a bunk bed, one wardrobe and a desk.

But yes, off-campus living is a possibility in DU.
  • thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
    Am I the only one who thought this was a wee bit cringey?

This pack sounds nice and all, but I'm afraid that the university features are going to be a bit shallow. They're really over-emphasizing partying and goofing off with your friends, which are social activities that can be done without the pack.

13 majors? What if they function similarly to rabbithole careers? It would be like putting a new label on the old content.
    Hanging out in a student center? What would make it different than going to the library and chatting with other teens? Bringing laptops? Your kid?
    The huge emphasis on playing soccer?? One of the selling points?? Does anyone else find that concerning? :'(

I feel as if they're polishing this trailer up nicely [and adding #totallyrelate-able , trendy-yet-stressed young adult much of EA's target audience can identify with] in order to make us look the other way add a gallon of sparkles to shiny, new content that may actually not turn out to be much different than existing gameplay mechanics. {Please, please, let me be wrong......]

I am really happy that we're getting room-mates, though!
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    Outlook Doubtful. That would be too awesome. . . . We beed a higher level of difficulty, not a debate team. I hope that all the university goals reflect the difficulty of going to university in real life, but I doubt it.

@ShockJupiter I hear ya, but I play the game to escape reality and create the reality I want, so difficulty is not what I aim for in playing the game. But I do get that you want to be challenged. That's why I have opted not to get ROM because it is too easy to become a caster and too easy to learn all of the spells and way too easy to prank and cast spells on the sages (is that what they are called). So, I get the need to increase difficulty levels here and there.

However, with learning skills, aspirations, and careers, I am glad it is not too difficult, because you can work on multiple aspirations at a time. Your sims can work on more than one career in a lifetime. It makes it more interesting. In previous sims franchises it was hard to complete an aspiration, but then you could only complete one. In TS4 you can do multiple, so I like that it is something that is doable and not arduous.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱