Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My big worry with the lack of Simgurus leaking information.

Comments

• bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    edited November 2019
    logion wrote: »
    I have found the sims camps a weird thing overall, are EA paying the travel costs for all these people? Sounds to me like a very expensive thing to do for all of these people, and when they get to play it also sounds like they are in a very controlled environment. They get free travel to a place where they will probably hear nothing but positive things about the expansion pack, and they will also receive a free copy.

Yeah, EA is almost definitely paying for airfare and hotel costs. And it definitely doesn't lend itself to impartial opinions, because it's very hard to be impartial or unbiased when you're getting a free vacation and early copy of the game.

I'd take any really positive opinions that come out of the camp with a heavy grain of salt.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited November 2019
    Atreya33 wrote: »

But excluding people like pixelade and iron seagull makes me reconsider trusting game changers. Can they be truly impartial? Especially when they don't just get an early copy for free, but also a trip to sims camp. Not saying the game changers don't want to be critical, but it is more difficult if you get free stuff.

I have found the sims camps a weird thing overall, are EA paying the travel costs for all of these people? Sounds to me like a very expensive thing to do, and when they get to play it also sounds like they are in a very controlled environment. They get free travel to a place where they will probably hear nothing but positive things about the expansion pack, and they will also receive a free copy.

It is odd but I think it helps to brainwash repay them a bit for the free advertising that they do do. My understanding is that they don't get paid to be a game changer, but you have to admit, all the videos and hype they create just by doing what they do, it's positive advertising for the company so I guess they should be rewarded in some way? I'm sure the sales outweight the end costs, or else they wouldn't do it. They can guarantee that after it's over, the footage the GC's have collected will end up on Youtube and a lot of us will watch it. Butter them up with free gifts that in the grand scheme of things cost the company next to nothing... It's a pretty win program for EA.

Some of course will always have their own minds anyways, regardless, (but they won't get invited next time unless they have more followers than Maxis) but I know if I was a GC and had a free trip and early access and all the extra hype (hoodies, landyards etc...) I might be more inclined to cut them some slack in my videos if I wanted to be critical.

Pretty sure all GC's get the free copy, invite to sims camp or not.

What is really odd though is how this one was kept so quiet. Everything is so quiet this time around. I tried to justify it before but the pack is out next week now and leaving everything so late just feels very weird. Like they are now hiding.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • YBNS2468YBNS2468 Posts: 240 Member
    Holiday wrote: »
    I've always said it, I wish they would bring back the days of The Sims 2 where the build up to an expansion pack was magical. It was basically announced right after the previous Expansion was released and from there we were fed screenshots, trailers, moderated chats, fan site exclusives, all sorts! :(

I really miss those days...😥
  • LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    Whatever the reason is of why they or whomever didn‘t get invited, I would NEVER lie on something or pretend that something bad is good just to fill ($) someone else’s pockets. If speaking the truth over something in a critical way would cause me less benefits, so be it.
    I‘d rather get excluded than losing my reputation, and definitely not for a game.
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

• paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    Even sims camp was kept on the down low. Game changers have just announced they are there and many of the bigger names who always attend aren’t Invited!

Wait what?! I wonder if recent critiques by a few of the game changers had anything to do with who was invited? Worried they might critique the actual game play before all the pre-orders and launch day purchases are in?

Possibly. But then there are some who do critique the sims 4 invited like James Turner and Lil Simsie.
    Iron Seagull and Pixelade have not been invited. The latter has been very critical of late. That said, it’s good to see a change. It’s always the same people invited.

Doesn't surprise me, they shun and kinda drop everything with people who give them bad reviews , critiques and who doesn't praise the sims 4 up and down.

Not true.

LGR
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • scoedscoed Posts: 91 Member
    Look sims camp being secretive until now is wierd but there is little reason to suspect any game changers of misrepresentation of the content of the game. Plenty of them who have been invited have been critical of the game in the past. A few of them not being invited isn't unusual as there are more game changers then tickets issued.

The fact there is a sims camp is a positive. It means they are showing off to someone. I still worry this will be a light pack but honestly the information to make a proper decision will be out before launch.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Even sims camp was kept on the down low. Game changers have just announced they are there and many of the bigger names who always attend aren’t Invited!

Wait what?! I wonder if recent critiques by a few of the game changers had anything to do with who was invited? Worried they might critique the actual game play before all the pre-orders and launch day purchases are in?

Possibly. But then there are some who do critique the sims 4 invited like James Turner and Lil Simsie.
    Iron Seagull and Pixelade have not been invited. The latter has been very critical of late. That said, it’s good to see a change. It’s always the same people invited.

Doesn't surprise me, they shun and kinda drop everything with people who give them bad reviews , critiques and who doesn't praise the sims 4 up and down.

Not true.

LGR

Yes, I was going to say this...
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    scoed wrote: »
    Look sims camp being secretive until now is wierd but there is little reason to suspect any game changers of misrepresentation of the content of the game. Plenty of them who have been invited have been critical of the game in the past. A few of them not being invited isn't unusual as there are more game changers then tickets issued.

The fact there is a sims camp is a positive. It means they are showing off to someone. I still worry this will be a light pack but honestly the information to make a proper decision will be out before launch.

Maybe they're also light on whatever budget EA gives them for this camp too, and only choose the ones that would be least critical of the EP. I'm sure they know exactly what's been going on lately and they're trying to save themselves from an even greater PR and market fallout (even though all EA cares for is how much money it has generated and so long as those numbers remain in the black they can continue doing their business).
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Maybe the main job of a CM is to keep up with watching Sims influencers so they know who’s painting them in the best light. That’s why they don’t post much, could be that they’re not expected to.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Don't know what to tell about the gameplay trailer. I learnt nothing except there's a cantine.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    The new "game play" trailer is out and it didn't show us anything we didn't already know except for student loans and there appears to be a toddler on campus. *not all game play appears in game*

Guess they were right to keep quiet, there's nothing more to this pack than the first video showed. :/
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    The new "game play" trailer is out and it didn't show us anything we didn't already know except for student loans and there appears to be a toddler on campus. *not all game play appears in game*

Guess they were right to keep quiet, there's nothing more to this pack than the first video showed. :/
    I agree. It didn’t show us any gameplay. Not to be petty but I found the voiceover to be annoying. There, I said it.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited November 2019
    "Not all images appear in-game" made an appearance again, this time at the end though.

1W7YwP.gif
  • LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    And still the same ol‘ dance moves 🙈
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »
    I have found the sims camps a weird thing overall, are EA paying the travel costs for all these people? Sounds to me like a very expensive thing to do for all of these people, and when they get to play it also sounds like they are in a very controlled environment. They get free travel to a place where they will probably hear nothing but positive things about the expansion pack, and they will also receive a free copy.

Yeah, EA is almost definitely paying for airfare and hotel costs. And it definitely doesn't lend itself to impartial opinions, because it's very hard to be impartial or unbiased when you're getting a free vacation and early copy of the game.

I'd take any really positive opinions that come out of the camp with a heavy grain of salt.

I agree. EA pay their air fare, I’m not 100% sure they pay for the hotel. I’m sure one of them went on twitter the last time to say otherwise but I totally agree, no one can be impartial getting at least their travel paid for especially when in some cases they are coming from a considerable distance like outside of the USA and getting lots of free swag once they arrive like sweatshirts and other merchandise. It always amuses me when they claim “I’m not biased” whilst sitting in their sims camp t shirt, waving their free computer stuff and drinking out their free water bottle. My Husband is a game developer, he has a game releasing today: if I told you all to go buy the game as it’s the best thing since sliced bread, I would be accused of being biased which I would be.

Game changers will be paid in directly as once they can release their captured footage they get to do it ahead of regular reviewers, it’s a win win for everyone.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

That’s what I was thinking. We now know loans are a thing as are scholarships but still no word how much is rabbit holes.
    I am happy we get to bring toddlers..
    But am I wrong or did we NOT see ANY classes really?
    I am NOT impressed still.
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I am happy we get to bring toddlers..
    But am I wrong or did we NOT see ANY classes really?
    I am NOT impressed still.

Pretty sure there are no classes. Everything will be a rabbithole except for the extracurricular activities: Debate (held in a room or on the quad), Robotics (in the lab) and Art (painting done outside).

The actual academic elements of being at university seem like they'll involve your sim reading a book or using a computer.
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    Holiday wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Frost rarely makes any appearance here. A few of his tweets get posted but if this forum is his job, where is he? Why doesn't he "pop" in once and a while just let us know that he's listening if for no other reason.

Yes this confuses me too, I thought he was meant to be the Community Manager but there doesn't really seem to be any SimGuru presence here anymore, I see more of the EA Community Manager and Moderation team... what's with that? :#

@Holiday be careful with the use of the M word, they might delete your post, DM you and refer you to the community guidelines like it's the Bible.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
    sillehbee wrote: »
    sillehbee wrote: »
    I randomly purchased Planet Coaster a few days ago while it was $13 on sale. The amount of content that comes in their DLC packs actually makes me angry. There was a youtube review that took 20 minutes just to go over every new object (all colorable, btw) and feature that came in that one $10 pack.

I've been a fan of the sims since the very beginning. Island Living was the only EP I didn't purchase in the entire history of the franchise. I'm actually really mad at myself for spending so much money on TS4, purely out of nostalgia, because Maxis consistently delivers less and less content with each pack. I think this may be the end for me. If DU doesn't prove to be an improvement, I don't think I'll be playing TS4 anymore. It feels stupid to keep giving them money.

Planet Zoo drops tomorrow and because I can only afford one pack, guess which one I'm buying. :)

Me too, lol. I can't wait. I loved Zoo Tycoon as a kid, but now that I've been playing Planet Coaster I'm even more excited for Planet Zoo. I love their graphics, UI, terrain editing, and advanced movement features. Decorating in that game is addicting.

@sillehbee @Dannydanbo I have Zoo Tycoon 2 but I could never get the game to work without crashing so I never really played it. is Planet Zoo really worth considering and purchasing?
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Am I the only one that thinks they could not have a sims camp and instead, put that huge amount of money into the actual pack to make it better? Isn't one of their go-to excuses is that they can't afford it? There's only so much in the budget? Stop wasting it on Sims Camp and put it into the pack itself.
    Am I the only one that thinks they could not have a sims camp and instead, put that huge amount of money into the actual pack to make it better? Isn't one of their go-to excuses is that they can't afford it? There's only so much in the budget? Stop wasting it on Sims Camp and put it into the pack itself.

I think so too...smh
    @Dannydanbo Sims Camp more than likely comes out of the marketing budget and not the development budget.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    troshalom wrote: »
    @Dannydanbo Sims Camp more than likely comes out of the marketing budget and not the development budget.

I understand that, but why spend all that money on a lack luster pack when, if you put that money into the pack, it would sell itself.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    edited November 2019
    troshalom wrote: »

I understand that, but why spend all that money on a lack luster pack when, if you put that money into the pack, it would sell itself.

I'm sure the pack will sell. 👍
    Minus the copies you and a few others won't be purchasing.