Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Quality wise only, is the Sims Franchise dead?

Comments

• CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    They can still save the Sims 4 and the franchise
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Well - like all other products now a days that give less for your money (everything does even look how much smaller content amounts are in almost all products) - you can always choose not to buy. I buy because the game still keeps me occupied and still offers enough play I am usually satisfied but if I felt like you do - I'd probably not buy. I am glad I don't feel that way and do still enjoy the games. It beats sitting here complaining about it day after day - especially knowing that won't change a thing - as it is a sign of the times. Just look at the reduced size of food products that still have the same prices when they used to be much bigger. I used to get 3 sandwiches out of a can of tuna that cost 60 cents - now that can of tuna gives you two sandwiches - less filled and it costs 1.10 or more.

That is the way of things these days. However, it hasn't typically been the way of the gaming industry. There are still many series out there that are capable of providing tremendous bang for the buck. Until now, the Sims series has always been one of them. Just because a practice has become more commonplace doesn't mean that anyone has to like it, to pretend that it's not happening, or to be silent about it.

In addition, how any of us spend our time is a personal choice. How fruitful or fruitless that choice may or may not be is up to that person to decide. If I want to keep providing feedback in the Feedback Section, that's on me.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited October 2019
    Yes, it's over
    Scobre wrote: »
    Sounds like the same complaints we heard with Sims 3 - but I think if people who feel that way they need to go find a different game for a while. I love the Sims games and do not feel that way at all. I enjoy every day I get to play my Sims games so i fail to understand that statement. The games do not play themselves they play as we guide them to play so why blame just the games?
    They do and are still told not to support the EA Listen and EA Abuse movement. There is no pleasing Simmers no matter which Sims game they play. But yes a lot of the problems that the Sims 3 had, the Sims 4 is still doing and staying silent didn't solve anything either.

We got jailed or banned for that kind of protesting in Sims 3. Not fair they get away with it though. They need the same treatment we got. Several of my dear friends got jailed for speaking up and never came back they were embarassed by the jailing business - so they are not fair. We all need to get the same treatment. I can show you dozens of warning I got for speaking up - for rudeness for speaking up .... still got them in my pms. Cost me points even - it is only fair.

ETA - I went back to my Sims 3 page and all my messages are gone. So i guess I cannot prove anything.

Anyone posting feedback in The Sims 3's forum without flaming or harassing other users wouldn't be banned. I was there, would post regularly, and had not received even one warning at all. In fact, if anything, the forums tended to be moderated a lot less than they do now.

It honestly sounds like you are calling for users giving their feedback to be moderated, which is very wrong. I think the mods here do a good job. It's really not hard to post opinions without flaming, and it's even easier to read opinions without flaming as well.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited October 2019
    I no longer have hope for Sims 4 but Sims 5 is (probably) coming and can change everything
    Sounds like the same complaints we heard with Sims 3 - but I think if people who feel that way they need to go find a different game for a while. I love the Sims games and do not feel that way at all. I enjoy every day I get to play my Sims games so i fail to understand that statement. The games do not play themselves they play as we guide them to play so why blame just the games?
    They do and are still told not to support the EA Listen and EA Abuse movement. There is no pleasing Simmers no matter which Sims game they play. But yes a lot of the problems that the Sims 3 had, the Sims 4 is still doing and staying silent didn't solve anything either.

We got jailed or banned for that kind of protesting in Sims 3. Not fair they get away with it though. They need the same treatment we got. Several of my dear friends got jailed for speaking up and never came back they were embarassed by the jailing business - so they are not fair. We all need to get the same treatment. I can show you dozens of warning I got for speaking up - for rudeness for speaking up .... still got them in my pms. Cost me points even - it is only fair.

ETA - I went back to my Sims 3 page and all my messages are gone. So i guess I cannot prove anything.
    Yeah they removed the first protest for the Sims 4 and I was told not to participate in another one again. I don't know why this one is treated different. Thought it was against rules to do petitions, but I guess since not titled petition and it is a Twitter thing, not under EA's control since not a site owned by them. But forums is, so I don't know. I think banning is a bit too extreme in most cases. But I remember getting warnings for less than this just for talking about the game before on alien pregnancy which is a mockery now that I did with Sims being all PRIDE supportive now. They weren't a few years ago. I don't think you deserved to be banned or jailed back then.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited October 2019
    I no longer have hope for Sims 4 but Sims 5 is (probably) coming and can change everything
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I slept over it and woke up still not believing how someone is actually advocating for fellow simmers to be permabanned, just for having an opinion. I also find it hard to believe people were ever (perma)banned just for criticizing Sims 3 to be honest. When I joined here in 2013, Sims 3 bashing was a sport, a fashion. There definitely wasn’t an atmosphere of ‘oh we rather shouldn’t do that because we might get into trouble’, I was literally attacked and ridiculed for merely loving the game. It’s possible Sims 3 bashing suited EA by then of course, with Sims 4 in the making.

Sims 3 bashing is still very much a sport here and in many other forums and even now EA encourage it. Especially on social media. I wouldn’t have thought it was a good marketing tool to criticise your own product but then again EA has some bizarre practices.

And for what it’s worth when I was joined this forum back in Feb 2015 I criticised the sims 3- I didn’t get banned. I probably criticised it at some point when it had its own forum and when I was on the BBS and I didn’t get banned, warned or anything. I suggest it’s a case of not what you say, but how it’s said that most likely cause a ban.
    I never understood it either to pit your products against each other especially since those products in the past have supported to development of the current products. In business school that sends red flags on how to lose business fast. Then again think encouraging customers pit against each other is wrong too and it did produce consequences with the EA Sports event encouraging that behavior. If I was in forums back then, I probably would have been critical towards Sims 3 too. It wasn't until Island Paridiso that I actually gave the game a chance. Then again I never understood EA's business practices either especially with their other games. I am still upset on how SimCity was handled since I was a SimCity player prior to being a Simmer.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    Thought I posted a while ago and was about to respond to something else when I noticed I hadn't. Oops.

I think the Sims 4 is what it is now. Nothing at it's core is going to change and they're going to continue building upon it and the game may just end in similar fashion to The Sims 3, although I hope it doesn't. I feel that the level of quality they're at now is the level of quality they're sticking with until the end, unfortunately. Especially since it still makes them money but I still say they could be better, do better and make even more money.

I do think Sims 5 can change things too. The Sims 5 would be a new beginning. It's a fresh start over, many a lesson could be learned from the past games, it's a chance to do things better and I would hope they take that chance and do something great with it. Can things change? Always. Will it change things? I don't know. Just because things can change doesn't mean they will. They should, but it's also EA. The Sims 5 could very well be just another money maker used to create and improve other EA games.

I slept over it and woke up still not believing how someone is actually advocating for fellow simmers to be permabanned, just for having an opinion. I also find it hard to believe people were ever (perma)banned just for criticizing Sims 3 to be honest. When I joined here in 2013, Sims 3 bashing was a sport, a fashion. There definitely wasn’t an atmosphere of ‘oh we rather shouldn’t do that because we might get into trouble’, I was literally attacked and ridiculed for merely loving the game. It’s possible Sims 3 bashing suited EA by then of course, with Sims 4 in the making.

Sims 3 bashing is still very much a sport here and in many other forums and even now EA encourage it. Especially on social media. I wouldn’t have thought it was a good marketing tool to criticise your own product but then again EA has some bizarre practices.

And for what it’s worth when I was joined this forum back in Feb 2015 I criticised the sims 3- I didn’t get banned. I probably criticised it at some point when it had its own forum and when I was on the BBS and I didn’t get banned, warned or anything. I suggest it’s a case of not what you say, but how it’s said that most likely cause a ban.

And what's funny to me is that it's usually bashed as a sort of defense of Sims 4 when its really no real defense at all. It's like a diversionary tactic, but it still doesn't suddenly polish up The Sims 4 problems. There's still problems, no matter how many times someone says, "Well look at what Sims 3 has wrong." So that just means they're still bad fixing things? That they've learned nothing? It's the same makers, just a new game. We're suffering from the same flaws and practices from the same company yet again so it's no surprise to see similar complaints popping up. either.

Even if this game ends and it's left with no real fixes at all I don't think some players will realize just how parallel the road of The Sims 3 and the road of The Sims 4 are in a lot of areas. The road may be longer but it's still just as messy and requires either modders to fill in the potholes and remove debris or players to remember the potholes and debris and maneuver over or around them somehow.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    Other

Depending on what you like. I have two new games that cost 90 dollars each I bought a month ago when I was upgrading my pc, and I am not happy with them at all. Just not my cup of tea. So this does not thrill me at all. They were considered top notch games with great reviews and I just don't like them. I looked a while and really did not see anything that made me happy to be honest. I am more interested in Uni than i am either of these so called blockbusters - never mind how expensive they were.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Other
    Cynna wrote: »

Well - like all other products now a days that give less for your money (everything does even look how much smaller content amounts are in almost all products) - you can always choose not to buy. I buy because the game still keeps me occupied and still offers enough play I am usually satisfied but if I felt like you do - I'd probably not buy. I am glad I don't feel that way and do still enjoy the games. It beats sitting here complaining about it day after day - especially knowing that won't change a thing - as it is a sign of the times. Just look at the reduced size of food products that still have the same prices when they used to be much bigger. I used to get 3 sandwiches out of a can of tuna that cost 60 cents - now that can of tuna gives you two sandwiches - less filled and it costs 1.10 or more.

That is the way of things these days. However, it hasn't typically been the way of the gaming industry. There are still many series out there that are capable of providing tremendous bang for the buck. Until now, the Sims series has always been one of them. Just because a practice has become more commonplace doesn't mean that anyone has to like it, to pretend that it's not happening, or to be silent about it.

In addition, how any of us spend our time is a personal choice. How fruitful or fruitless that choice may or may not be is up to that person to decide. If I want to keep providing feedback in the Feedback Section, that's on me.
    Indeed. The forum belongs to all simmers.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Yes, it's over
    Cinebar wrote: »

ETA: Consider this Maxis, with the three or four big packs (or ideas) out of the way what has TS4 done that is so amazing to justify 29+ packs, (to it's players) rather than fill your purses? If we remove the three or four big things players always will want, Seasons, Pets, University or Education packs, and some sort of OFB ability pack, what has TS4 done with all the other packs that are so amazing and innovative no one could have lived without them? Not much. Group activity is ok but it doesn't actually work half the time, so trying to be fair, there was nothing in TS4 (other than big packs they will always want) to have justified milking the public.

This. This is it right here. Aside from the myriad other problems that TS4 suffers from, I think that you've put your finger on what stands out about TS4 -- nothing.

Each sequel in the series had a signature innovation. TS2 went full 3-D. Plus, families became truly generational as aging and several new life-stages were introduced. TS3 introduced open worlds, plus a great transportation system that included fully functional bicycles, motorcycles, scooters, taxis, and personal cars.

On the other hand, I have to think really hard about what signature gameplay innovations there have been for TS4. There is not one overarching innovation that was introduced in the Sims 4 base game, not one. CAS is great and so is the build mode. However, what was introduced in TS4 that made the game decidedly unique and a step forward from the other games? I can't think anything that doesn't require paid DLC.

In my estimation, the only thing that makes TS4 unique is that the base game was so stripped down that features that were considered base game in previous games now requires additional infusions of cash.

Cinebar, you hit the nail right on the head.

I think it's really a sad thing when players had to pay for over 30 packs to get like 1/3 of what the other games offered. And there was not really anything so amazing in any of the packs to justify it. As a matter of fact, more people were disappointed with the standard ones we always got like Seasons etc. There were discussions of how lack luster they seemed to be (always something) compared to what content and gameplay or amazing new thing in those type packs (the big ones) than in the past. And some of the very features that were the selling points such as holiday calendar didn't even work. And still gets broken often. TS4 has more packs than all the others and still doesn't offer as much, nor as good as before, and I think we all know it. Not that people don't enjoy some of it, but that it's just not as dazzling as the past nor does it contain as much, nor is it as good feature compared to feature. Even if that is subjective, long time players have to know that and probably do know that, and just accept it. But I'm not one of them.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Other
    I just watched some old YouTube videos on TS2 and what came with base game and each pack and OMG! We got SO MUCH stuff! So much stuff. The base game had twice as much as TS4. Build your own neighbourhood! While I don't have patience for that, it's incredible that the option existed back then. Shopping baskets when shopping, opening the cupboards and drawers while cooking to get utensils. It was AMAZING. Base game. This one has more now but at launch it didn't have toddlers, basements or pools... Even TS2 had toddlers... I played TS2 but I completely forgot all the stuff we got. Each EP added a lot too. EP's actually changed game play. :/

Each installment should add more, not take away. We've had a lot taken away and a lot of people are actually just ok with this because they either didn't experience it, forgot, don't care and just buy it all anyways just because it's Sims...
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    It's not only the Sims 4. It's a trend I'm seeing in all AAA video games these days. There are a few games I have a bit of hope for (Obsidian's Outerworlds and CDPR's Cyberpunk 2077), but most AAA games seem far more about making money via cutting corners and microtransactions than making good, deep, immersive games. And yes, I know that a publisher is in business to make money, but they DO make money, hand over fist, but yet it isn't enough. Bioware's and Bethesda's most recent efforts that I tried cemented that feeling for me.

I do think there's hope, but I think it's going to take a major industry upheaval. Nintendo and Sony seem to be not following the trend most major PC games are going through, and I think, once again, Nintendo is going to save the video game industry because of it. See, Nintendo and Sony are more focused on selling their consoles which means the games they put on them have to be good.

Wanting to make the best game has petered out into making games good enough to sell -- it's a cost/benefit thing. At what point does further improvement slow the ROI?

Anyway, to answer the question, no, I don't think Sims 4 is going to undergo any major changes to its foundational flaws. There's no reason why it should. I don't think a Sims 5, if there is a Sims 5, will come enough down the road where publishers will allow devs to put love and care into their products and leave cheap money-making mechanics in.

If the pc games industry has undergone the same type and degree of grand-scale corporatization with the same predictable results as the music industry did, I hold out hope for a PC gaming Spotify-type revolution, with the ardent passion for real quality driving indie developers and modders to come together outside the standard and increasingly restrictive system of ongoing payments for access, rather than ownership, to make gaming great again. Of course, loss of net neutrality could throw a serious wrench into that scenario.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    What really irritates me is that, in many ways, to get an equivalent experience to Sims 3 in gameplay requires a good chunk, if not most of the EPs available in TS4. And then, there are some things that TS4 can never have; and would require a complete retool of the engine and mechanics-and run even worse than TS3. Some of the things that bugged me I was able to fix with mods.

But, I feel some of them could be added in upcoming patches/updates.

Police, firefighter, and burglar NPCs. I'm getting sick of stuff catching fire, and then no one showing up to put it out.
    Improvements to the autonomy of hospital staff. They can be admitting, diagnosing, and treating patients as well.
    Improved illness/injury system. Your Sim should be able to go to the hospital, and get injured.

I want to see more depth and realism added to the medical and law enforcement careers, but then that would really be pushing the ESRB and especially PEGI ratings.
  • AlexcielAlexciel Posts: 126 Member
    You know, I have the Sims 2 complete with all the packs. But since paying the Sims 4 I haven't played it and I don't feel like playing it anymore. I think Sims 3 players are the hard to woo.
  • SavorySageSavorySage Posts: 72 Member
    Other
    I chose other. I love Sims 4 since it came out. Still hooked on playing it. I played The Sims since the first one. I loved that one too. The only two I couldn't get into was Sims 2 and 3. I think reason why I couldn't get into them was because when they brought out Sims Online it was kind of hard getting back into playing without the live interaction of other people. Since Sims 4 came out I was hooked. I loved it when there weren't toddlers at the time. I have figured a work around so I don't really have to deal with them. I figure I raised them in real life and don't want them in my game. The point of playing sims is to escape real life. I think one of the things I liked about Sims as a whole, be who you want to be.
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Yes, it's over
    Honestly, that simguru has ruined the Sims 4. And if he's working on the Sims 5, as rumor has it, we're doomed. His vision of the sims is not mine.

Really wish he'd dance off into the horizon to be with Rachel... or whatever her name was.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited November 2019
    No opinion
    Alexciel wrote: »
    You know, I have the Sims 2 complete with all the packs. But since paying the Sims 4 I haven't played it and I don't feel like playing it anymore. I think Sims 3 players are the hard to woo.

Yes, as there are reasons it is hard to do for EA/Maxis may have some that are willing to accept what is given to them but it is like closing an Pandoras's box, most features that was released in Sims 3 and even Sims 2 it is real hard to put it all back in the box and act like it never existed even if for some that may experienced problems. Sims 4 for me is an watered down version with less than stellar features and more geared for newer people.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    edited November 2019
    Yes, it's over
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    Honestly, that simguru has ruined the Sims 4. And if he's working on the Sims 5, as rumor has it, we're doomed. His vision of the sims is not mine.

Really wish he'd dance off into the horizon to be with Rachel... or whatever her name was.

We really can't blame the type of developers EA decided to place over TS4. That would be on EA or at least Maxis. But EA hired Rachel because she was well versed in mobile games. It fit what they were building. Lucy Bradshaw may have had a lot to do with hiring or not. But it's Lucy Bradshaw who thought SimCity 2013 should be an online game and multi player, along with some others. So, if EA at the time was building an online game, or telling Maxis yes, we would like an online Sims game, then it was reasonable to hire mobile developers, visionaries, or whatever, and RPG developers. It's not the fault of past guru Daniel he is more of a rpg game developer than someone who worked in sandbox, open-ended gameplay. He fit the bill for what they were building. It's not Grant's fault he is more of rpg developer who thinks repeative goal orientented gameplay and building levels etc. is what is needed. It fit what they were building. It's not Lyndsay's fault she thinks this game needs to be safespace rather than a game about gameplay, but cater to those who feel they need a safespace. It is now, what they are building. It all falls on the direction of EA and why they have decided Maxis should go down that road instead of building the good, the bad and the ugly of life. Point, EA gave the green light to change The Sims from a game that mimics all walks of life, to a game that played like an online multi player or mobile game, and now, is just a safespace of those lost out in the sea of games, and a harbor to feel 'safe' and it's been EA who had to agree to it. Or dictate it. One or the other. It's not our fault these type of developers have very little in common with past developers who understood the primary focus.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    SavorySage wrote: »
    I chose other. I love Sims 4 since it came out. Still hooked on playing it. I played The Sims since the first one. I loved that one too. The only two I couldn't get into was Sims 2 and 3. I think reason why I couldn't get into them was because when they brought out Sims Online it was kind of hard getting back into playing without the live interaction of other people. Since Sims 4 came out I was hooked. I loved it when there weren't toddlers at the time. I have figured a work around so I don't really have to deal with them. I figure I raised them in real life and don't want them in my game. The point of playing sims is to escape real life. I think one of the things I liked about Sims as a whole, be who you want to be.

If you loved the original game but couldn't get into TS2 or TS3, it makes perfect sense that you would love TS4. There's a reason that some players call the current version The Sims 1.5. TS4 is the spiritual successor to the original game in many, many ways, including not having toddlers at first.

I think that the majority of players probably loved the original game. That's the game that started the obsession -- I mean fandom. :) However (and I can only speak for myself), after nearly twenty years, I expect the series to go forward, not backward. The original game was fun, however, it is rudimentary compared to the games that followed. I wouldn't have expected the current game to go back to that level of gameplay. But if you're happy with it, I'm glad for you. Someone should be.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
    edited November 2019
    Other

We really can't blame the type of developers EA decided to place over TS4. That would be on EA or at least Maxis. But EA hired Rachel because she was well versed in mobile games. It fit what they were building. Lucy Bradshaw may have had a lot to do with hiring or not. But it's Lucy Bradshaw who thought SimCity 2013 should be an online game and multi player, along with some others. So, if EA at the time was building an online game, or telling Maxis yes, we would like an online Sims game, then it was reasonable to hire mobile developers, visionaries, or whatever, and RPG developers. It's not the fault of past guru Daniel he is more of a rpg game developer than someone who worked in sandbox, open-ended gameplay. He fit the bill for what they were building. It's not Grant's fault he is more of rpg developer who thinks repeative goal orientented gameplay and building levels etc. is what is needed. It fit what they were building. It's not Lyndsay's fault she thinks this game needs to be safespace rather than a game about gameplay, but cater to those who feel they need a safespace. It is now, what they are building. It all falls on the direction of EA and why they have decided Maxis should go down that road instead of building the good, the bad and the ugly of life. Point, EA gave the green light to change The Sims from a game that mimics all walks of life, to a game that played like an online multi player or mobile game, and now, is just a safespace of those lost out in the sea of games, and a harbor to feel 'safe' and it's been EA who had to agree to it. Or dictate it. One or the other. It's not our fault these type of developers have very little in common with past developers who understood the primary focus.

Daniel worked on neighborhoods, roads, and bridges since Sims 2; Grant worked on Sims 2, 3, and 4. Lyndsay has been with the game since Sims 1 along with Lucy Bradshaw. So what ever you loved about Sims 2 you can actually thank those people you are now sounding like you condemn. Sim City and Sims 4 being online we can thank the former CEO (J.R.) who wanted all EA games online if you recall - and who "resigned" when Sim City basically blew up in their faces.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Other
    SavorySage wrote: »

If you loved the original game but couldn't get into TS2 or TS3, it makes perfect sense that you would love TS4. There's a reason that some players call the current version The Sims 1.5. TS4 is the spiritual successor to the original game in many, many ways, including not having toddlers at first.

I think that the majority of players probably loved the original game. That's the game that started the obsession -- I mean fandom. :) However (and I can only speak for myself), after nearly twenty years, I expect the series to go forward, not backward. The original game was fun, however, it is rudimentary compared to the games that followed. I wouldn't have expected the current game to go back to that level of gameplay. But if you're happy with it, I'm glad for you. Someone should be.
    The big difference however between Sims 1 and 4 is that the first game was totally focused on making it very hard for sims to be happy and survive (the core of the gameplay), where Sims 4 focuses on sims that are very easy to please and storytelling. Sims 1 wasn’t about storytelling at all. So even though there are some similarities, I think the differences are too essential to call Sims 4 Sims 1,5. For Sims 4 in a way they tried to copy certain aspects of Sims 1 and 2, superficial characteristics, and thought that was enough to call it a good game. Somewhere along the line they forgot however it does need to be a game. Not some tool collector based on clowniness and autonomy (“look guys, smart sims, they hug!”).
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited November 2019
    Yes, it's over

Daniel worked on neighborhoods, roads, and bridges since Sims 2; Grant worked on Sims 2, 3, and 4. Lyndsay has been with the game since Sims 1 along with Lucy Bradshaw. So what ever you loved about Sims 2 you can actually thank those people you are now sounding like you condemn. Sim City and Sims 4 being online we can thank the former CEO (J.R.) who wanted all EA games online if you recall - and who "resigned" when Sim City basically blew up in their faces.

I don't recall Daniel working in TS2. Only The Sims Medieval. Nor do I remember Lyndsay working on TS1 (perhaps an intern) but working on objects in TS2, under others' directions. I understand J.R. and Frank G. decided all EA games should have online access in one form or another, and perhaps multi player for many if not all. That was a horrible period in gaming in my opinion. I'm not condeming anyone. I'm defending them in respect that it's not their fault they have certain skills that don't fit the focus of the past games and defending them because EA and Maxis had to agree The Sims should be changed and it's not any particular developer's fault if their skills are more in line with that new vision rahter than in line with past developers and or producers who understood what people expected for The Sims brand and it wasn't a brand back then but a game. Now, it's a brand and they hired the right people to push that brand rather than gameplay. That's what they wanted and now they have it. But they can't blame long time players who don't see that as a good thing. Just as much as some of long time players knew the change to online/less sandbox was not going to make many of us happy. It's the same difference. New vision is the brand, past failed vision was online all the time etc. Long time players shouldn't blame the developers for this but just remember those over Maxis and running Maxis and those at EA are the ones who hire people to bring all that about, and now they have their 'brand' and long time players aren't happy with that, just as much as we aren't happy (weren't) about the online dark days of J.R.
  • hotshocolatehotshocolate Posts: 15 Member
    I have played the sims since i was like 9 years old. Sims 2 & 3 were literally my life. I'd play every day for hours on end. i LOVE the game. however. i really do not like sims 4. i think after playing the previous ones for years, sims 4 just didnt hit the mark for me. i do believe they have successfully ruined the game with sims 4, however i do not think all hope is lost. with all of the feedback given to sims 4, i'm sure sims 5 will be a huge improvement. The only way it will improve though, is if the developers practice QUALITY OVER QUANTITY. please save the sims guys
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Yes, it's over
    I have played the sims since i was like 9 years old. Sims 2 & 3 were literally my life. I'd play every day for hours on end. i LOVE the game. however. i really do not like sims 4. i think after playing the previous ones for years, sims 4 just didnt hit the mark for me. i do believe they have successfully ruined the game with sims 4, however i do not think all hope is lost. with all of the feedback given to sims 4, i'm sure sims 5 will be a huge improvement. The only way it will improve though, is if the developers practice QUALITY OVER QUANTITY. please save the sims guys

The trouble is, they now know they can make a fortune selling a game like TS4 and people will still buy it, so that's exactly what TS5 will be like but worse... It'll probably have lootboxes, a store and who knows what else to part you from your money.
    raw
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Yes, it's over
    The end (making as much money as possible) justifies the means (minimal true content & effort along with maximum methods of extracting consumer funds). The age old gambit of big business. Perhaps the devs/gurus should resign en masse to either work for a more worthy company or start their own. Unleash the creativity with no fetters imposed from on high.
    edited November 2019
    Other
    Lyndsay worked on Pets Unleashed and Making Magic. She's a wonderful artist among other things.
    Daniel was a game designer and worked on a lot of the games.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited November 2019
    Other
    To those of you who don't like it - well like any game I am sure it is dead to you - but not for me and those of us enjoying it. Life is like that some people just tire of some things even when they are great things or game to many of the rest of us. Tastes change.

But definitely not dead to me and I am far from not buying and playing this game. I love the Sims games.
    The problem is that Sims is not just any game to me. Most games I actually don’t like, they’re not for me. Sims most definitely is, but not a poor version of it and it’s this poor version that happens to be the currently running one and the one that they plan to develop for at least ten years it seems. Everyone regretting that has every right to express that frustration here, based on their love for the franchise in general. I’m most definitely not tired of the game or I wouldn’t play the earlier version anymore.
    Yeah getting tired of people saying that unless you say puppy and kittens things about the Sims 4 it is wrong. Everyone has the right to express disappointment in a game, any game Sims or not. I mean even Game Changers have things they don't like about the Sims 4 and getting more vocal about it lately. It is like a parent being disappointed in a child. Just because they are disappointed doesn't mean they love the game any less. They just want the child to grow as a person, so that they aren't a burden as an adult. Sims 4 is still a child and only becomes an adult when it is finished development.

There are just some of us that have seen what Gurus doing nothing to improve the Sims 3 has done for that iteration and do not want the same fate to befall upon the Sims 4. Sure it may seem harsh at times, but did kissing up to the Gurus help the Sims 3? It didn't and honestly had many influencers from that iteration confess that they were lying about liking that game just to be invited to events. I like the Gurus, but honestly I can separate business from personal when talking about the game. Just because I am disappointed about aspects of the game doesn't mean I don't care for the Gurus any less. I made friends with a few of them and honestly I have seen the strongest of fans make a 180 turn and attack the Gurus in the worst possible way and cheering when they lose their jobs. I refuse to be anything like them or pretend things. If I like something I'll let the Gurus know, if I don't I'll let them know too. I am not going to lie just to get likes on a social media site or whatever or gain friends. I have friends and if someone is truly my friend they know not to attack me on a personal level just because I like or don't like something about any of the Sims games. Thank you to you both for being kind to me even if we don't agree on everything. I would hate if we did and love how we are all powerful women who love the Sims each in our own way. I have no idea what the future of the Sims will be but I know the game is only as strong as its community and sadly the community is just as divided as when I joined forums, but I am glad to have met some friends along the way from all sorts of backgrounds. It has been an interesting journey.

I also know I like the game and still get enjoyment out of it enough to ignor all this rumbling anyway. So to each their own. If i didn't I would not be here. Games I do not like I quit playing. To me Sims is still a fun game to play and I achieve enough of an escape from real life to enjoy it. I don't need more risque game or anything Sims has never been - I enjoy much of what it offers even if Sims 4 did not start that way it offers what I need now - even though i would love more adventure - I am willing to see where it goes and delivers. To each their own.

We didn’t always have the right to express our feelings about the Sims franchise in general on the Sims website in the Feedback section.

Maybe now we do but it wasn't like that during mid Sims 2 and much of Sims 3 days and even early Sims 4 days. There were a lot more people I knew that had their own sites because it was impossible to say anything on this site without someone getting jailed or worse. It started with Securom and the company talking about putting everything online shortly after the Securom fiasco.

In dreams - I LIVE!