Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 Realistic or Cartoony?

Comments

• CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    Realistic
    I have said it before, a human life simulator should have realism. I still don't want it to be uncanny valley creepy-realistic. Sims must go forward for it to have a future, and use the capabilities of the graphics cards of this decade. If you want cartoony and want to play on a ten to fifteen old computer, you can still buy Sims 2, 3 and the current 4. And there are Disney and Lego games for those who want that.

I want the sims to look good and anatomically correct (except for those special parts of the body, if you know what I mean). The skins don't have to have pores and could be smooth. There will always be CC skins for that extra realism for those who want that. But of the game is too cartoony it wouldn't be possible. No skin in the world would make a Bratz or Elmer Fudd-looking sim look realistic.

Almost all CC creators strive for realism. Decor, skins, fashion, hairs, made for more realism in the game. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but I haven't seen much CC that makes sims look more like cartoon characters.

Going backwards and make a really simple Sims 5 with Bugs Bunny graphics makes no sense, unless it's for mobile phones.

I still play Sims 3 because I don't like how Sims 4 looks and how backward it is in so many aspects. A Sims 5 must be a big step up in graphics and features for me to buy it. More realism, open world, CASt back, all life stages included plus maybe one more, cars, and it shouldn't be rushed out or leave out important things from the base game.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • munroelemunroele Posts: 286 Member
    Cartoony
    Definitely more along the lines of Sims 4. And not a return to Sims 3. That game is hideous, IMO.
  • kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    Cartoony
    Sims have always been kind of goofy and fun, I cannot not imagine a realistic sim walking around speaking simlish. It would just kill the game for me. I like the cartoon look but with more realism would be best.
  • _Sandra__Sandra_ Posts: 135 Member
    Cartoony
    More realistic than The Sims 4 but still cartoony, that's my opinion.
  • NiaraTiaraNiaraTiara Posts: 120 Member
    Cartoony
    Honestly both of those pictures look too realistic for me. I like the sims 4's style, and I hope they keep it with the Sims 5, with just a little more detail in the hair so we can add streaks. Realistic sims look gross to me lol
    Let there be Fairies! o:)
    Realistic
    I guess you who want a cartoony Sims 5 want something like the characters in Fortnite or Toy Story?

1LbLJgc.jpg

The first sim is from a police story I made in Sims 3. The sims had ok realism to me.

There's not a chance that I would have made it with Sims that looked childishly cartoony like in the other pics. And I doubt that the serious fashion creators would want to spend hours to make CC for cartoon sims.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Cartoony
    Cororon wrote: »
    I guess you who want a cartoony Sims 5 want something like the characters in Fortnite or Toy Story?

1LbLJgc.jpg

The first sim is from a police story I made in Sims 3. The sims had ok realism to me.

There's not a chance that I would have made it with Sims that looked childishly cartoony like in the other pics. And I doubt that the serious fashion creators would want to spend hours to make CC for cartoon sims.

Ah yeah, sims 3. Good old pudding faces. I like the style of TS2/4. I hope they keep that rather than going back to the way they did TS3.
    Realistic

1LbLJgc.jpg

Ah yeah, sims 3. Good old pudding faces. I like the style of TS2/4. I hope they keep that rather than going back to the way they did TS3.

The "pudding face" refers to the fat rounded cheekbones that is the standard default face that most game-generated sims had. There's less "pudding" (none in fact) in the Sims 3 sim on the pic than the Sims 4 one.

I think Sims Medieval had the best looking sims in the series.

Examples:

https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Sims_Medieval_GD_01_DemiHawke.jpg

https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/project_modules/disp/f0f52a16744171.562b0af92984c.jpg

You can see that they are supposed to be humans and not dolls.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    Didn't vote cause I hate cartoony, and would want realistic, but not the realistic of those pics. I'd like to have Sims 3 realistic with hair that moves and fluid animations. That would be the perfect blend for me.
    Realistic
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    Didn't vote cause I hate cartoony, and would want realistic, but not the realistic of those pics. I'd like to have Sims 3 realistic with hair that moves and fluid animations. That would be the perfect blend for me.
    NiaraTiara wrote: »
    Honestly both of those pictures look too realistic for me. I like the sims 4's style, and I hope they keep it with the Sims 5, with just a little more detail in the hair so we can add streaks. Realistic sims look gross to me lol

Yeah, I agree that the "realistic" pics in the first post don't look good. Some games have very realistic looking characters, but they look like robots when they talk. In Sims the mouth moves much smoother in a way that's more alive and attractive.

I loves Sims 2 (with CC eyes and stuff) and I love Sims 3. But I think the Sims Medieval has the best looking sims in the series. So I'd prefer something like that, just updated. Sims 5 could take the good parts from the earlier games and add more realism to the buildings, furniture, lighting, trees and plants, and upgrades sims. It can be done without going creepy and uncanny valley.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • HollownessDevourHollownessDevour Posts: 8,011 Member

The "pudding face" refers to the fat rounded cheekbones that is the standard default face that most game-generated sims had. There's less "pudding" (none in fact) in the Sims 3 sim on the pic than the Sims 4 one.

Yeah pudding face was the default sims, and in some cases just bad lighting.

Most my Sims 3 sims are not pudding face but I don't play with default sims XD

• cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Realistic
    I like the realism in Sims 3 but a little more realism would be fine too.
    Didn't vote, both look like furthest sides of spectrum of sims I don't want to play. And I don't use CC as a band-aide. I want Sims 2-3+ better than Sims 2-3 but for the love of gawd not the Sims 4 cartoony direction. Sims 4 is the only Sims series I have completely skipped and fine with it. I still play 3 and waiting for the Series to go back in the direction that I will enjoy.
  • justlexijustlexi Posts: 57 Member
    It should be more realistic compared to the previous game series.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited November 2019
    Realistic
    fmj-gomercu2.png
    “Realistic or cartoony: it doesn’t matter to me. If I want to END their miserable little sim-lives...it won’t matter if they look like:

ChloeANDROID.detroitbecomehuman.jpg

or:

discover-uni-1.jpg

There are no reprieves. They ARE in a WORLD of SHEET!

When it’s time to torture them, set them on fire, put them in blast range of explodey things, run them over with cars, drown them or drop meteors on the sims to end their little sim-lives. It won’t matter at all to me if they look real or not. ~cue maniacal laughter~

Nurses Assistant: “ok...Nikkei...it’s time for your meds.
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    edited November 2019
    Realistic
    On the serious side; those of you who say that cartoon graphics age better than realistic graphics. No game is going to sit on the shelf for twenty-five years. No game sits static without moving forward. That’s why we have game sequels to push the graphics envelope.

And computer systems will eventually age out of use due to obsolescence. Eventually one has to upgrade with a new system. No one remains stagnant and gets to stay in the running for consumer dollars.

I’m old enough that in my early teens, I was playing games that were just lines; squares and triangles and my imagination filled in the rest. If no one dared to push the graphics envelope we‘d still be playing games like Space Invaders.

Back during the early 80s I used to play Flight Simulator II.

Flight_Simulator_2.13_-_Meigs.png

Now recently I see the latest offering that Microsoft has put out. Flight Simulator 2020

microsoft-flight-simulator-robin-dr-400-a.jpg

I can’t play the game due to my system requirements for FS2020 being way beyond what my current system is capable of handling. Will I be able to play it some day. I hope so because I have to upgrade my computer or look at a whole new build of a gaming PC.

You cannot expect a gaming company to hold still in terms of pushing the envelope with graphics just because your system doesn’t meet the requirements.

If I want to be able to play Sims 5, DCS World; FS2020, or Cities Skylines, I’m going to have to work and make enough money to build the system I need in order to play it. I don’t have the luxury of going to Mom or Dad to ask “can you buy me a gaming system?” My Dad’s no longer here and Mom is in her 80s. Can’t ask my wife either; she’s got her hands full with having to meet our expenses as well and needing to get ahead in her career. And I have to weigh that want of having a gaming system with the other life expenses I have; food, rent, financial obligations; in other words, the necessities I need to stay alive that have to be met and say “well if I don’t have the system requirements, then I just can’t play the game” That’s life. It may not be something one wants to hear but sometimes you have to make tough decisions. It’s a tough life lesson: you can’t always get what you want to the exclusion of others You have to compromise and know that sometimes you have to wait to have something.

EA has to make money to keep its shareholders happy but it also has to balance that with what the consumers of its games want and a compromise has to be reached. Right now a segment of the fanbase feels like its been alienated and told to stifle their concerns about the direction in which the game is going in. There’s a yawning abyss of a divide between those who want more realism in the game and those that want more cartoony graphics. And EA needs to address those concerns before losing the market share of those who are unhappy because they feel as if there has been “no compromise”, just a feeling of being railroaded.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • BleubellBleubell Posts: 457 Member
    edited November 2019
    Realistic
    I'm sorry but anyone who wants sims 5 to be more cartoony than sims 4... you're tripping. sims 3 was headed in the right direction... if only sims 5 could be more like GTA than fortnite...

I think the example photos aren't good and too realistic in my opinion, in this post I prefer the "cartoony" example. but to sum up what I like is how sims from both 3 and 4 look with alpha cc.
    tumblr: brooklynsims / cc finds blog: brooklynsimscc
    thank you thread
  • BleubellBleubell Posts: 457 Member
    Realistic
    LiELF wrote: »
    I chose "cartoony", but I agree with those who actually mean "stylized". I do love the look of Sims 4, but I think the art style was intended to go together with the "goofier" behavior of the Sims. I would definitely prefer the next Sims game to be less childish but without being photorealistic or too close to realism, like the Sims 3 tried to do. It just comes out ugly and waxy and when you see the Sims against the world background, they clash together because the textures aren't perfectly matched. Having one consistent art style makes the game flow better visually and is much more immersive.

exactly!
    tumblr: brooklynsims / cc finds blog: brooklynsimscc
    thank you thread
    Personally, I think the most realistic I'd want my sims is about Dragon Age 2 range. Example: a cut scene pic and the other is a bad lighting play mode but the clothes look good:

utHr2iq.png
    m1wO4qa.png

I'd would have provided better images but I lost almost all my screenshots (found only those two) for Bioware when my computer died.

But to me this was the direction I originally thought Sims was going but was fine if it didn't fully get there but then saw Sims 4 was not my cup of tea. I won't pout if Sims 5 isn't this but I'd def pout if it was more cartoony or barely different from 4.

And this poll is not an accurate representation of the full simming community, just like when the Sims 4 announcement came on Sims 3 forums the Sims 3 community was more one-sided against the new CASt-less toony direction. It's like asking how many people like hambergers at a burger joint vs. how many people like sushi at a sushi joint.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    Realistic
    I want my sims to have more details so I would prefer if they would go for a more realistic look with more details and more realistic colors, I also want more subtle animations. A more realistic direction would encourage Maxis to do that.

I'm worried that if the sims5 would go for more of a "cartoon look", then that would mean more silly animations and more extreme colors for clothing and hair.
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Cartoony
    I was torn but had to go with cartoony with the sense of something like Sims4 but smoother, more detailed. Truly, the closer it could get to photrealism the more exciting it would be, but the "realistic" stuff out there currently has an awful aesthetic to me. Nobody wants to see a Sim's pores. I think aiming for the most expressive, as a method of realism, rather than the most photographically detailed, is the kind of realism we all want. Expressiveness is at the heart of anime and manga, not realism.

So why I wouldn't want to see the Sims adopt anime-like over-emotiveness with gigantic eyes and nonexistant noses etc., the current balance between realism and expressiveness works. Realism to the point of grittiness is not fun. A lot what makes art art, is the emotion conveyed.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    edited November 2019
    Cartoony
    Whatever happens, I hope The Sims will not lose its sense of humor. That would be a disaster. But so would making it all silliness all the time. Somehow the balance between the two is important.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
    edited November 2019
    Realistic
    One other thing I would really appreciate a toned down walk. Every time I see the Sims 4 walks my mind jumps to Monty Python.
    https://youtu.be/78OKaiYld1ETh

The “realistic” that I voted for was more along the lines of

from-tomb-raider-2013-on-playstation-3-and-xbox-360.jpeg
    A little more realistic than the other picture but still stylized.

And I say that “realistic graphics”and “great gameplay”are NOT mutually exclusive terms. Anybody saying that is just coming up with excuses.

https://youtu.be/blxpxvjyP3s
    BTW who says you can’t have funny animations in real life.

What I cannot get immersed in is watching videos of a “4” apocalypse legacy where supposedly a apocalypse happened in an intact town and with Sims still walking around as id nothing happened.

You wanna see apocalypse. Try this on for size.

Screenshot-128.jpg

Screenshot-127_nuke1.jpg

Screenshot-127_nuke2.jpg

I want dynamic backgrounds in Sims 5 not a painted on Camelot where everyone is Ren&Stimpy “Happy happy joy joy”.

Screenshot-91.jpg

I want my environment to fit the story I’m trying to tell.

Screenshot-1027.jpg

THIS is an Apocalypse!

In other words I WANT CAW BACK!!
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Realistic
    kittymeow wrote: »
    Sims have always been kind of goofy and fun, I cannot not imagine a realistic sim walking around speaking simlish. It would just kill the game for me. I like the cartoon look but with more realism would be best.

https://youtu.be/FiEw1jcLztA
    Probably still would be more dignified than this.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    edited November 2019
    Realistic
    CXonor13 wrote: »

uSpwlCs.png

...which is a totally different case from the more realistic looking butterface sims from Uncanny Sunset Valley... :#

To tell you my impression of the Monster Hunter World character that you pictured as a possible framework to build Sims 5 around. I wouldn’t mind a sim that looked like thar because it’s not too cartoony; nor does it look too realistic (mind you, not that I mind realistic) But I want to see an environment where that sim would fit into it. And TS4s trees were goddawful. I’m sorry but every time I saw pictures of those trees my mind kept thinking that Fisher Price programmed those trees.

But I have to take issue with you on calling my favourite townie and the population there-in butter faces.

How dare you, good sir! :mrgreen:

Screenshot-49.jpg

Recognize her?
    GYZ6Ak9.png