Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 is probably the last Sims game for me.

The Sims 5 - Realistic or Cartoony poll in the Off Topic section made me realise that Sims 3 is probably the last Sims game for me. The majority of the voters seem to want an even more cartoony game than Sims 4 - think Fortnite or Toy Story.

1LbLJgc.jpg

The first pic is from my police story in Sims 3. I think the realism is OK. You can see that it's supposed to be a human being. Then look at the Sims 4 sim and you see a doll. and it gets even more doll-like with Fortnite and Toy Story.

Even if Sims 5 came with an open world and had CASt back, I wouldn't buy it if the sims looks like dolls. No way!

I don't know why people don't understand that they can buy Sims 2 if they want an even more cartoony game? Or why not a Disney or Lego game? Sims is a human life simulator and should have realism. It doesn't have to be uncanny valley realistic, but you know what I mean. You should be able to make attractive sims and not just "funny" alà Elmer Fudd. :tired_face:
cUrfGkA.gif

Comments

• cocococo Posts: 2,722 Member
    @Cororon I have to agree with you there. I shudder to think of a sims game that is even more cartoony than TS4 :grimace:
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I personally think 2 & 3 had a pretty good balance between a sort of realism and cartoony. I use "cartoony" in the loosest possible way.
    Sims 4 already looks like toy story to me. Look at the TS4 sim eyes and at Woody's eyes. They virtually look the same.
    It's unappealing, and something like you'd find on a colour-in placemat at Macca's. I don't know if they could possibly make future sims games any worse, but it's EA so it wouldn't really surprise me.

I don't believe I'm in their target audience any more and neither are a lot of older simmers. EA are really looking for the "omg they make this game so be grateful that they give you a cow pie on a plate and call it a diamond" crowd. They don't seem to want players that are going to challenge them on anything, are concerned about value for money or quality over quantity.

It's also probably much easier and cheaper to put out a bunch of textured plastic dolls rather than produce something like TS3 or even Sims Medieval, in which the sims looks absolutely gorgeous. I'd had high hopes those would be the sims we got for TS4. Instead, we got Woody v2 :(
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    I think unless its a direct promotional image from EA themselves, I'm not going to put much stock in how Sims 5 will look. Nobody knows, because it doesn't even exist yet (if ever).

Plus, there's always custom content :)
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • NianaNiana Posts: 211 Member
    I do feel similar too. I always preferred the more realistic graphics. Sims 4 is a bit too perfect for me, to much colour and to many pretty boys / girls.
    But I could live with a mix out of 3 and 4. A bit prettier than 3 but less Barbie/ my little pony.
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,275 Member
    The poll is still open if you want to vote: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/935647/the-sims-5-realistic-or-cartoony/

@Pary I agree about the Medieval sims! They were a nice upgrade from Sims 3. :smile:
    cUrfGkA.gif
    edited November 2019
    I can't vote. The realistic pictures are too creepy for me. The cartoony are way too cartoony. There just isn't any balance in those options!
    I do understand, given those options, why there are so many cartoony votes, but I don't see why there can't be a nice mixture rather than one extreme or the other.
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    I voted real...but a mix between the two would be fine...the realism looked a bit creepy for me.
    Pary wrote: »
    I can't vote. The realistic pictures are too creepy for me. The cartoony are way too cartoony. There just isn't any balance in those options!
    I do understand, given those options, why there are so many cartoony votes, but I don't see why there can't be a nice mixture rather than one extreme or the other.

I don't like the example pictures on the first page, but I didn't vote for those examples but for the direction Sims should take. And you can always explain why you voted as you did. That's what I did. :smile:

I'm watching GTA5 videos and it's amazing that a game from 2013 looks that much better than Sims 4. An adventure game with more human-looking characters than a human life simulator. And people want the human life simulator to fully become a toy doll simulator. :neutral:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member

Same!
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2019
    I'm not voting because my top two choices aren't even represented in the poll and I feel disenfranchised. :/

Both: When we start a new game, we could be asked whether we want the Realistic or the Cartoony bases used for our sims. Although maybe they could be given better names than that like Classic vs. Stylized. Why not allow for player choice? Sure, that may double the size of the game program and the complexity of the subsequent EPs or other forms of added content, but that's for the genius game development talent to figure out how to work around. From a strictly cosmetic perspective though, that would give us two different games to play in one.

Neither:
    Depending on how they are counted, there are between 1 and 9 million species of life on our planet and I would guess an infinite number that haven't even been imagined yet. While it is true that sims games up through now have concentrated on humans or those with human characteristics being civilization's dominant species, maybe it's time to consider letting some other life form take over for a while?
    :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    I voted real...but a mix between the two would be fine...the realism looked a bit creepy for me.

Yeah, the examples the OP posted were not the best. And there are many very realistic looking games, and they look creepy when you see the characters talk. Then they look like creepy robots.

I want Sims 5 to be a bit like Sims 3, open world, CASt, and upgraded sims. Pary mentioned Sims Medieval, so something like that but better. And more anatomically correct, and with that I mean how joints and muscles look and work. No clay figures or dolls. One should see that they are supposed to be humans and not dolls for kids.
    cUrfGkA.gif
    ZeeGee wrote: »

Same!

As I said before, you can vote and explain what you think. Or post your thoughts without voting. :smile:

igazor wrote: »
    I'm not voting because my top two choices aren't even represented in the poll and I feel disenfranchised. :/

Both: When we start a new game, we could be asked whether we want the Realistic or the Cartoony bases used for our sims. Although maybe they could be given better names than that. Why not allow for player choice? Sure, that may double the size of the game program and the complexity of the subsequent EPs or other forms of added content, but that's for the genius game development talent to figure out how to work around. From a strictly cosmetic perspective though, that would give us two different games to play in one.

Neither:
    Depending on how they are counted, there are between 1 and 9 million species of life on our planet and I would guess an infinite number that haven't even been imagined yet. While it is true that sims games up through now have concentrated on humans, or those with human characteristics, being civilization's dominant species, maybe it's time to consider letting some other life form take over for a while?
    :)

Pfft, a human life simulator should be just that. There are many cartoony games out there, and a simpler Sims game with Bratz-like sims could always be made for phones.

There are simulators for other life forms. And I'm not sure I would want to make a self-beetle, even though the possibility of wearing three pair of CC shoes could be interesting. :wink:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited November 2019
    Aw, now I'm getting depressed. :(
    I've been trying to keep my hopes alive for TS5. (Hopes Alive For The Sims 5! :lol: )
  • HollownessDevourHollownessDevour Posts: 8,011 Member
    I prefer a balance too I liked Sims 2-3, Sims 4 I didn't buy because no CASt and the cartoony look.

I Like Sims 3, Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2 for balance real enough but not creepy real, imo.
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    I've been trying to keep my hopes alive for TS5. (Hopes Alive For The Sims 5! :lol: )

Keep your expectations for Sims 5 low, very low. That way you won't get disappointed! :smiley:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    Cororon wrote: »

Keep your expectations for Sims 5 low, very low. That way you won't get disappointed! :smiley:

But, I had them low with TS4. I want to get excited about the Sims again. :cry:

lol, I was too XD
    I'd love to get excited again too, but I'm not going to. It's sad but true for me that I hold zero hope that EA will ever make a Sims game again on par with TS2 or innovative in parts like TS3.
    I mean look at TS4, they think it's fantastic. It isn't. It's shallow, ugly and boring and when you pad out an stuff pack or game pack or whatever it was, with wall decals and carpet tiles that pass for dog beds, well.... there isn't a lot to hope for :disappointed:
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    I ♡ Pudding
    Funny enough, I remember my QQ post on Sims 4 disappointment :P good times XD
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I know absolutely nothing about TS4 (and plan to keep it that way) other than the few pics I have seen on the forum. I decided long ago that TS3 was the last sims game for me. I can't see that changing even if EA managed to redeem themselves with a good game because I like not worrying about patches and waiting for mods to be updated. I'm too old to learn new tricks and can't envisage myself waiting several years for the game to suit me.
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    Cororon wrote: »

As I said before, you can vote and explain what you think. Or post your thoughts without voting. :smile:

Already did, on the thread you linked. Something to the effect of I want Sims 3 with moving hair and smoother animations. The only thing that I like better about S4, they don't have to stop and go to back to a starting point between animations, like romantic for example.
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    I know absolutely nothing about TS4 (and plan to keep it that way) other than the few pics I have seen on the forum. I decided long ago that TS3 was the last sims game for me. I can't see that changing even if EA managed to redeem themselves with a good game because I like not worrying about patches and waiting for mods to be updated. I'm too old to learn new tricks and can't envisage myself waiting several years for the game to suit me.

Yeah I only seen a handful of images too, and that is enough.

I am not really waiting either, just staying happy in my sims 3 game. In fact that is why I am trying to migrate Sims 3 die hards to my site, so done being a 2nd class citizen on the forums and don't expect EA to do anything to please me anymore XD
  • KynanKynan Posts: 468 Member

Ditto!
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Well, that pic of Sims 4 is a creepy, Strangerville ZoMbiE so of course it's doll-ish. Dolls are terrifying!

Fornite does look like dolls (but more of an action-figure type).

Toy Story is ABOUT A DOLL.
    funny-gifs20.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top