Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is your favorite world size?

LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
edited March 5 in Nominated Threads
Fellow world builders, I'd like to know what is your favorite world size and why?
"Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    Medium - because large worlds are too laggy for my system and I get overwhelmed with the vastness of it all. I tend to play all my sims and too many sims is too hard to keep track of.

Small worlds are good too although not quite enough space for what I want to build. Most small worlds I've played in I've given up on for more room.
  • chojrakchojrak Posts: 188 Member
    I like medium the most too. Large have too much space, it feels like more than a half of a world gonna be wasted. I like large worlds made by others, but I prefer building my own worlds on medium map. I just couldn't finish such a big project. It's hard to make large world without empty spaces on water or on land.

Small and tiny worlds can be pretty charming, but not enough space in them. It seems to me, that medium worlds are compromise - while not much space gonna stay unused/empty, they can be still charming.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    It depends on the gameplay I'm doing.
    I have a medieval save where the world is so massive, its like an entirely new game.
    And in my current game, its a small Louisiana world.
  • LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    Lots of good points. I like different sizes for different things.

I like how quickly I can whip up a tiny world.
    I like medium because it's large enough for most projects, but is still realistic to finish.
    Large worlds are great for massive projects, but they take so long to finish it can be discouraging.
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
  • RosemaryStarRosemaryStar Posts: 43 Member
    I'm currently building a medium height world as I think a big one is not likely for me to finish. While a small map doesn't really excite me into making it.
  • LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    edited February 2019
    @RosemaryStar Good point! My current active project is a large world. i thought I'd be done early last year and I'm still not done! LOL. (Though I also took a break in the middle)
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    When I first started my project I used a small world with beach and mountain. I quickly realised it would not give me enough room for all the lots I wanted without it appearing very crowded. So I moved on to a medium flat world. This has worked quite well for me and I shall probably use it again for the next project I am planning.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I enjoy making large worlds because I love the sculpting and adding so many different areas. I make medium for others.
  • bluzkat65bluzkat65 Posts: 483 Member
    Rflong7 You create the BEST worlds ever!!! <3<3
  • bluzkat65bluzkat65 Posts: 483 Member
    I love medium worlds. The size of Sunset Valley is perfect for me. Sunlit Tides was entirely too big but I loved the sun and the water. I'm still looking for that perfect smaller version of Sunlit Tides if anyone has one!
  • StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    I tend to like medium size worlds. I do sometimes play with large or small worlds but medium size worlds usually fits my needs for gameplay <3
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    I tend to stay with medium. I've found it allows me to have a built up town, harbour and beach but also still have some countryside. Just perfect <3
    However for the larger, Elven world I've been building, large is absolutely perfect since that is meant to feel like different countries. I'll probably still be building it when I'm a grandmother but even so! :D
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • chojrakchojrak Posts: 188 Member
    Recently I discovered that it's possible to make custom size of maps. The only thing you need to do is to crop heightmap file in paint. For example, take large height map file (it's in folder Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\UserToolData\HeightMaps) make a back up of this file, open copy in paint, crop to the size divisible by 256 and in the shape of a square, save. Open in CAW, create a new world based on this map, switch on chunk boundaries, and count if it has the amount of chunks you wanted.
    For exaple, if you want world with 5x5 chunks, you have to multiply 256 by 5, and 1280x1280 will be dimensions the graphic file have to has to be accepted by CAW. I hope I did't muddle it too much, english isn't my firts language so tutorials are not my thing.

Maybe some of you knew that, but it's new for me and I never read anywhere before, so I thought it's worth sharing. :smile:
  • artenissimmer55artenissimmer55 Posts: 40 Member
    I'm not necessarily a new world builder, but the world I'm making right now is the only one I've spent a huge amount of time on. It's 2048 x 2048 and I've actually found it really enjoyable, as everything is spread out just how I wanted it to be. I'd say I'm more likely to build large worlds in the future because of this, but I guess time will tell about that for sure. :)
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,992 Member
    I would have to say that my favorite world size is huge, since its hard to fit everything in little worlds, and its really hard to hide the edges of the map on anything but a really large world. Plus there's more to explore on the bigger maps
  • ostria101ostria101 Posts: 1 New Member
    Small. Everything over small crashes my system, either while building it or playing. Truth is there isnt much space in small worlds but i try to recreate small community stories and interactions, so its not big deal.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited November 2019
    @chojrak wrote: »
    Recently I discovered that it's possible to make custom size of maps. The only thing you need to do is to crop heightmap file in paint. For example, take large height map file (it's in folder Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\UserToolData\HeightMaps) make a back up of this file, open copy in paint, crop to the size divisible by 256 and in the shape of a square, save. Open in CAW, create a new world based on this map, switch on chunk boundaries, and count if it has the amount of chunks you wanted.
    For exaple, if you want world with 5x5 chunks, you have to multiply 256 by 5, and 1280x1280 will be dimensions the graphic file have to has to be accepted by CAW. I hope I did't muddle it too much, english isn't my firts language so tutorials are not my thing.

Maybe some of you knew that, but it's new for me and I never read anywhere before, so I thought it's worth sharing. :smile:

I saw this a few months ago when I was checking out a world for someone (the CAW files were shared) and the world map was 5x5. At the time I thought I had just missed counted! I never read it anywhere either. But, I didn't hangout in other places much. It would have been awesome to know years ago.

*I realized they were using EA's distant terrain from University so I checked out that world. It's a 6x6 map so they did give us clues to where we could use different size maps. We can't go past 8x8 though (2048). :)

Now I'm going to make a world 5x5 or 6x6... Not sure yet. Gotta find a theme first. :)
    Post edited by Rflong7 on
  • tammyjo329tammyjo329 Posts: 2,747 Member
    chojrak wrote: »

I wish I had known about this a few years ago! LOL I might have to try this out next time. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top