Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only Discover University complaining thread!

Comments

• Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 451 Member
    While there are some Debbie downers everyone seems be agreeable with a lot of issues. Please make more threads like this in the future. @FurSimsOfficial Discussions like this have more diversity. Hope more people are paying attention to the game and it's flaws so we can get back to the good old days TS1 - TS3. Also hoping the gurus have seen it. They could use the constructive criticism.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    I wasn't excited about University... I'm still not excited about University.
    I don't need more things for my young adults to do. I need things for my kids and TEENS to do. Blah.
  • JerrelloJerrello Posts: 896 Member
    I'm not a fan of the University theme in any sims iteration. The only thing that really appeals to me about a University EP is the potential for makeshift and dilapidated buy mode and CAS assets. I've watched the trailer several times now, and I was bummed that I haven't spied any makeshift college style furniture or clothing. :(

I want some milk crate chairs/stools, wooden spool tables, ripped up couches, sticker covered mirrors, makeshift bookcases, a milk crate bed frame or even just a grungy mattress on the floor... etc. Everything looks very pretty, which wouldn't be such a negative thing for me, if we had more gritty/makeshift items to choose from.

Yea you might as well get a Halloween pack to get anything remotely close to that. Anything else might scare the new younger fan base they cater to.

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2019
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    It isn't even out yet nor have we gotten a live stream or all the info.

Doesn't mean we can't be disappointed with what we see so far in the trailer. After all by the same reasoning, many people have already preordered it, though it's not even out yet nor have they seen the live stream. Go figure. (And only know as much as we know from a trailer).

ETA: Just adding my thoughts about an earlier tweet posted. The guru minced her/his words by saying 'you don't have to be on campus' (to ride bikes) O.K. but the guru parsed their words or it should have said 'anyone can ride bikes! and no, you can ride bikes anywhere!' so it says one world and not kids in my opinion. Or they would have spoken clearly and not hid behind parsed words. Reminds me of cloaking Klingons, always cloaking the craft.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Doesn't mean we can't be disappointed with what we see so far in the trailer. After all by the same reasoning, many people have already preordered it, though it's not even out yet nor have they seen the live stream. Go figure. (And only know as much as we know from a trailer).

ETA: Just adding my thoughts about an earlier tweet posted. The guru minced her/his words by saying 'you don't have to be on campus' (to ride bikes) O.K. but the guru parsed their words or it should have said 'anyone can ride bikes! and no, you can ride bikes anywhere!' so it says one world and not kids in my opinion. Or they would have spoken clearly and not hid behind parsed words. Reminds me of cloaking Klingons, always cloaking the craft.

Exactly! Lol
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited November 2019
    mika wrote: »

Sad, isn't it? Some people just enjoy complaining and expecting the worse. They'll never be satisfied until the Sims 4 ends. Then they'll complain about the next iteration.

Sad isn't when people are so concerned about how other people feel about an program when they should be concerned with themselves. There is an reason most people feel the way they feel looking at past releases. If they are not satisfied until Sims 4 does end that is their prerogative isn't it.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited November 2019

Sad, isn't it? Some people just enjoy complaining and expecting the worse. They'll never be satisfied until the Sims 4 ends. Then they'll complain about the next iteration.

not really!
    some people just can't handle others dislike.

you know it goes both ways, people also like to complain about the complainer :(
    why it matters if somebody isn't liking the look at a pack. they are free to give there opinion.
    for some people who like it, there still going to get the pack they like.
    but some expect everybody else to, not just with the game but the forums to.

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Sad isn't when people are so concerned about how other people feel about an program when they should be concerned with themselves. There is an reason most people feel the way they feel looking at past releases. If they are not satisfied until Sims 4 does end that is their prerogative isn't it.

agreed fully with you.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    Exactly. If someone is allowed to be excited over a toilet stall, then another person should also be allowed to be upset about no drums, murphy beds, pool tables, etc. (all of which are confirmed to not be part of this EP) or whatever else is important to them.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,836 Member
    Preach!
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I remember the good old days when we thought this pack would be chuck full of goodies like bands (LOL) and pool tables and vending machines and bunk and/or Murphy beds and tons of other stuff that previous packs offered. And Greek Houses! Silly me.

I just caught on to their strategy. There will be a follow-up Stuff Pack called MY FIRST DORM and we'll get all the little extra's that should have been in this pack. Brilliant! My First Pet went over so well, why not do it with every LITE EP. Make us pay for the goodies that we thought would be in this pack. You guys are geniuses!
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I remember the good old days when we thought this pack would be chuck full of goodies like bands (LOL) and pool tables and vending machines and bunk and/or Murphy beds and tons of other stuff that previous packs offered. And Greek Houses! Silly me.

I just caught on to their strategy. There will be a follow-up Stuff Pack called MY FIRST DORM and we'll get all the little extra's that should have been in this pack. Brilliant! My First Pet went over so well, why not do it with every LITE EP. Make us pay for the goodies that we thought would be in this pack. You guys are geniuses!
    I think they hold back to keep us wanting more. Bad strategy. Some of us are tired of never feeling satisfied with this game.

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    babajayne wrote: »

I think they hold back to keep us wanting more. Bad strategy. Some of us are tired of never feeling satisfied with this game.

I think they hold back because if they show any more, there won't be anything for the IN-DEPTH Live Stream Friday.

Frost tweeted that Plumbob Pictures are hard at work on the gameplay trailer. It must be something to see. I can't wait. It will be interesting if all their hard work is due to showing all the new gameplay or trying to show the same gameplay in a different way that will fool us into thinking that there is a ton of gameplay. It's getting very exciting. :D
    babajayne wrote: »

I think they hold back because if they show any more, there won't be anything for the IN-DEPTH Live Stream Friday.

Frost tweeted that Plumbob Pictures are hard at work on the gameplay trailer. It must be something to see. I can't wait. It will be interesting if all their hard work is due to showing all the new gameplay or trying to show the same gameplay in a different way that will fool us into thinking that there is a ton of gameplay. It's getting very exciting. :D
    I meant they hold back in what they actually include in DLC to keep us wanting more and dying to buy more.
    But yes. They hold back info because they only have a little content to show. A gameplay trailer with “not all images appear in game” is right around the corner. Can’t wait to be manipulated again.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2019

What do we get to take the place of those things? Paddle ball? For two Sims when four could play pool. :/ Is pool now seen as gambling and not allowed in this game anymore? Or I wonder are they holding all that back to make another pack for $20, for a resurrection of Old Town. :(
    No vending machines, I guess we wait to get them in some dive motel pack for another $20 or $40. lol, I expect to see My First Dorm, with more wall, school decals for your favorite mascot to stick on the wall. And the Sim get another happy feeling, oh and that clothing pack to bring out yet another pack for some more school uniforms with painted buttons and zippers on them.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • sillehbeesillehbee Posts: 704 Member
    For me, it's that every pack gives me less and less. I can count on one hand, all the things in DU that excite me enough to buy it. Four things for forty bucks is ten bucks a thing. That's way too expensive for four things. There's no value in what we are getting anymore. Discover University drops on November 15th for $40.00. Planet Zoo drops November 5th for $45.00. The difference in those two games can not be measured except through my wallet. One is incredible and so well done with amazing innovations and the other is reused game play with no innovation to be seen anywhere in it. Will I buy DU? Yes, because it does have those four things but not in November, maybe not in December, maybe not this year. And that's a first for me. I plan to finish out S4 and do not plan on getting S5 if it ever happens. My advice to EA is to let the sims die after S4 with some respect for the game left. I think you squeezed all the life out of this franchise it has to give. I'm moving on with Planet Zoo and, when it drops, Paralives. It looks amazing.

I hadn't heard of Paralives, so I googled and now I'm excited for it. It looks awesome, especially the porch decorated for Halloween in the images on Steam.

Hopefully news of it doesn't fade away into the unknown like Witchbrook. Still waiting for that game, too.
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    Look I am not against University I just don't' want the same things we had in Sims 3 well maybe some things have to be the same, but what would be a game changer for me would be to add additional careers that we don't have and make the careers Sims can actually go to. I want my Sims to be able to participate in the career of their choice not just disappear Crap! Teaching Career would be good to add for this Expansion Pack. Kidngarden up to Professor if you attend UN then you can get Higher Degrees.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »
    Taken from the new gameplay blog: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/discover-university-gameplay
    your Sim can socialize, show off their dance moves, maybe do a keg stand, and promote Dragon pride
    where your Sim can don the red and gold to support their school at School Spirit Day
    your Sim can attend bar night with The Brainiacs honor society for a little rest and relaxation
    Decorating dorm rooms, hanging out with roommates, or just playing a little ping pong
    or head to a spirit event at the bar dressed in their best school colors.

Socializing and wearing the school colors are such exciting activities they had to mention them five times. The majority of activities they're hyping draw on things we can already do in the base game: socialize, go to bars, dress our sims, decorate our sims' living spaces, paint, read a book, use a computer.

Find it interesting their latest marketing has a lot less focus on the bicycles (not even a mention in the blog), which sort of feels like they're trying to draw attention elsewhere so people don't focus on whether the bikes are usable in other worlds or by all ages.

I noticed that too. The questions have died down a bit about it and they probably don't want to open that door up again just yet. This newest "game play" trailer didn't even show the bikes. It didn't really show game play either to be fair. Just another machinima with less objects displayed than the previous one.

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    edited November 2019
    Still not impressed...
    I didn't see any classes...I just saw glorified hanging out and goofing off.

But I am kinda glad we may get to bring toddlers.
    Still not impressed...

I agree.
    Even though it’s neat that toddlers won’t hold any sims back from attending university, I don’t see how that’s “Life Goals!” as exclaimed in the trailer.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Still not impressed...

Yeah, I have to agree. The trailer left many questions unanswered. And I know the logical thing to do is watch the stream; but the chat moves so fast and not all questions will be answered.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member

We did get vending machines in Get To Work already. Knowing the game though, I won't be able to edit communal areas to add them.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Trailer did not do much for me either. I like the student loans and the toddler being there, BUT what does this toddler mean. I honestly did not expect that university life would be anything like previous games where students seem to live in another universe or something. Cause the sims 4 works so different on time and traveling that I already expected life will just go on like switching between households.

BUT my real concern is.. if a single mom sim has a toddler, will she also be able to do online classes instead of bringing her toddler to school all the time or even ever? Now that would be interesting. I am afraid it is not even a thing. I think online classes or courses to upgrade your skills for certain jobs would be brilliant! But I am not so sure with this Sims 4 team and their limitations...

• 2fab4uboo2fab4uboo Posts: 47 Member
    The more they reveal about this EP the less impressed I am. If it's boring to read about it's going to be boring to play. All the old things that made university fun aren't included in this pack and all the "new" addition to this pack is just meh. Different day same story:reduce, reuse, recycle. They talk about how sims can dance, but they don't mention any new dance moves. I'm skeptical of the whole soccer thing because sims just kicking a soccer ball around does not equate to playing soccer. Everything the sims can do at university the can do anywhere else. What is unique about this EP that's gonna want to make people hand over forty of their hard earned dollars?