Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you limit FPS on Mac?

I know you can limit fps on the Windows version of the game through the Nvidia control panel, is there a way to do this on Mac, I'm still running Mojave so the game works fine the FPS is always higher than 60 however which causes horrible tearing and must be depreciating the lifespan of my Mac.

I would rather not use bootcamp as I've always had issues getting it to work in the past on the same Mac.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks
Specs:
i7-7700K @ 4.2GHz
Gigabyte G1 Gaming Edition: GTX 1080 8GB
16GB RAM
2 x 1TB HDD - Toshiba @ 7200 Rpm

maxresdefault.jpg

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I'm not aware of a third party utility on the macOS to force vsync or cap frame rates. I believe users need to rely on the applications/games they are running to come with that functionality, which unfortunately TS3 does not have.

What GPU does your Mac have and how high are the fps rates running? I am assuming the specs listed in your signature block are not relevant. If it's one of the higher end AMD or Nvidia ones, there may be some relief by way of the equivalent control panels that come with them. If it's Intel, there may not be as much hope here but one wouldn't think many of the Intel integrated graphics chips would be capable of producing runaway overly high frame rates. Even then though, TS3 for Mac runs through a Cider implementation that mimics a scaled down version of Win XP SP2, so it may not be able to honor what the GPU controls, if you have any, are offering.

I haven't played TS3 for Mac myself for more than a few minutes for many years, having opted for Bootcamp instead, but back when I did I had a Radeon HD 6670M graphics card (mid-2011 iMac). There were lots of limitations and issues to be faced with the Mac version of the game, but I don't recall fps rates being one of them back then. On different or more modern GPUs, things may have changed.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • slydog857slydog857 Posts: 68 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    I'm not aware of a third party utility on the macOS to force vsync or cap frame rates. I believe users need to rely on the applications/games they are running to come with that functionality, which unfortunately TS3 does not have.

What GPU does your Mac have and how high are the fps rates running? I am assuming the specs listed in your signature block are not relevant. If it's one of the higher end AMD or Nvidia ones, there may be some relief by way of the equivalent control panels that come with them. If it's Intel, there may not be as much hope here but one wouldn't think many of the Intel integrated graphics chips would be capable of producing runaway overly high frame rates. Even then though, TS3 for Mac runs through a Cider implementation that mimics a scaled down version of Win XP SP2, so it may not be able to honor what the GPU controls, if you have any, are offering.

I haven't played TS3 for Mac myself for more than a few minutes for many years, having opted for Bootcamp instead, but back when I did I had a Radeon HD 6670M graphics card (mid-2011 iMac). There were lots of limitations and issues to be faced with the Mac version of the game, but I don't recall fps rates being one of them back then. On different or more modern GPUs, things may have changed.

I’m using an iMac 21.5 inch (Late 2013) - Intel Iris Pro and runs the game quite well surprisingly I used the FPS counter to check.

It’s a shame really I hope in the new 64-bit edition they include some sort of vsync it’s pretty unplayable without it unless you get under 60 fps
    Specs:
    i7-7700K @ 4.2GHz
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming Edition: GTX 1080 8GB
    16GB RAM
    2 x 1TB HDD - Toshiba @ 7200 Rpm

maxresdefault.jpg
  • SeagullSeagull Posts: 4 New Member
    This game is sadly unplayable, I’ve done numerous internet searches and cannot play The Sims at all without my computer having a total meltdown as the fps counter is out of control.

I’m playing on an iMac, Mojave 10.14.6 with a Radeon graphics card.

Will this ever be fixed or addressed?
    edited March 2021
    @Seagull - Are you playing the original 32-bit Mac version of the game or the new 64-bit one that was released in Oct/Nov 2020? And around how high are the reported fps rates getting on you?

Edit: Can we also please confirm that we are actually talking about TS3 here and not TS4?
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    OMG, hello igazor!

I just installed the most recent version of the game just today through Origin, so I’m sure it’s the 64 bit version. I tried to install and play in 2016 but gave up with the same issue, but silly me decided to see if it had been fixed.

My CPU starts pushing past 2500 RPM on the main menu alone, FPS is between 70-120 just idling, not doing anything fancy. And yes, definitely Sims 3!

Thanks so much for your reply.
    edited March 2021
    @Seagull - Can't be certain, but I believe what is happening there is that the macOS is throttling the fps rate for you. While 70-120 fps sounds horrifying for a 60 Hz monitor as all iMacs have, it may not be unless you are getting screen tears. Which Radeon card does your Mac have? My current one would be capable of producing fps well into the high hundreds if it is allowed to, and of course we don't want that.

Origin offers, or should be offering, two different distinct products. The 32-bit and 64-bit ones are different downloads/games entirely, so it would still be required to know for sure which one you are working with. Catalina and Big Sur can only run the 64-bit version, but Mojave can run either on suitable hardware.

My experience with the 64-bit version of the game is limited because it has so many other in-game bugs with it, I really only installed it to confirm some of those, do what we needed to do to make sure NRaas mods work with it (they do) and see what it could and couldn't do. Then I kind of moved on. But I didn't get runaway CPU cycles or fps. Like so many other players, I do get a much better experience with TS3 for Windows run through Bootcamp, if managing two operating systems might be an option for you.

Your other choice, or you might want to do this anyway, is to report your issues on EA's TS3 for Mac board on AHQ as that is where they are being compiled and looked for. But there may be a solution already there that I wouldn't have known about yet.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I have a AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2 GB graphics card if that helps much?

I just found on the activity monitor that I have the 32 bit which is annoying, seemed like I only had one option when downloading the base game.

Bootcamp isn’t an option for me for various reasons, I was just hoping there was a work around for this FPS situation, and I guess theirs not much motivation from the developers as TS4 is here.
    If you do want to give the new (and bug filled) 64-bit version a try but it's not showing up in Origin for Mac for you, then a brief text conversation with customer support should be able to make that happen. Note that you would have to completely uninstall the 32-bit version first, though.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Hi again igazor, thank you so much for all your input.

I did what you suggested, contacted EA support (very helpful actually), I got my 64 bit version after queuing a couple of times in the Chat assistant - they’ve only gone and fixed this issue on the 64 bit version!

:open_mouth:

I’ve waited 7 years to play my beloved TS3 and gave up on it entirely - I can actually play, I’m getting just under 60FPS now. Perfect.

Thanks again igazor, I’ve seen your name time and time again on these forums, trying to help people. And now you’ve really helped me and encouraged me to get this fixed. I really can’t thank you enough for caring and putting so much effort into your replies.

It’s so good of you <3
    You're very welcome and am just glad to have been helpful. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!