Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA, nearly 20 years into the series, this is the kind of innovation that I love

Comments

• Options
    AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    @SumoB @Scobre : When I played The Sims 2 I liked it´s look and compared to the Sims 4 the colors are much more reduced and look better.
    But when I began to play The Sims 3 I changed my opinion.
    When I played 2 I had to use a lot of CC to make my Sims look "real". With 3 I didn´t have to use CC anymore (ok, of course I massively collected CC over the years! ;) ), my Sims looked very realistically. (and yes, at the beginning they looked like pudding faces, but after a short time of trying and the use of sliders, all Sims looked different!)
    I really like the realistic look and whish that, if there will be a Sims 5, they go with it again and hopefully improve it even more. I really don´t want another game which looks like a children´s movie.
    But as I said before: this is just my opinion!
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2019
    SumoB wrote: »
    AlexaKry wrote: »
    I think I´m alone with my opinion, but I don´t like the look of Sims 4.
    I don´t like the oversaturated colors, the plastik look and the overall blurriness. Even the Sims itself don´t have sharpness in their faces. And this new game looks identically to this artstyle!
    So if it doesn´t blow Sims 2 and Sims 3 out of the water (Sims 4 doesn´t count for me, because it is inferior to them) I won´t spend money on it.
    For me it looks too much like Sims 4.
    (just my opinion)

I actually (to this day) prefer sims 2 graphics. Sure, partly because of nostalgia, but in the sims 2 everything seemed a bit gloomy (tad more desaturated than real life almost). I think it fits very well for a life simulator game. I cannot explain why, but it always made the sims feel more real.

On a semi related note, if you start up sims 2, you notice a background noice (sound like wind), very faint but still there. It also adds realism (and somehow gloomyness). In the sims 4, there is no background white noice, just silence.
    643117-925292_20050225_002.jpg
    Well phrased, I agree with that (regarding being a bit gloomy and that slight wind noise and how that atmosphere fits).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    @Cynna : I can fully understand why you like the Paralives graphics so much more than the Sims 4 one, it is much better! As you said, it has more depth and detail and is a big improvement!

But as I said: I would be alone with my opinion, because I like The Sims 3´s graphics the best. I don´t like this bright colors and the missing of sharpness. I like my game looking more real!

You're not alone -- I prefer the Sims 3 graphics. I do use skins for the sims, but I use skins for Sims 2 and Sims 4 sims as well.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    SumoB wrote: »
    I think I´m alone with my opinion, but I don´t like the look of Sims 4.
    I don´t like the oversaturated colors, the plastik look and the overall blurriness. Even the Sims itself don´t have sharpness in their faces. And this new game looks identically to this artstyle!
    So if it doesn´t blow Sims 2 and Sims 3 out of the water (Sims 4 doesn´t count for me, because it is inferior to them) I won´t spend money on it.
    For me it looks too much like Sims 4.
    (just my opinion)

I actually (to this day) prefer sims 2 graphics. Sure, partly because of nostalgia, but in the sims 2 everything seemed a bit gloomy (tad more desaturated than real life almost). I think it fits very well for a life simulator game. I cannot explain why, but it always made the sims feel more real.

On a semi related note, if you start up sims 2, you notice a background noice (sound like wind), very faint but still there. It also adds realism (and somehow gloomyness). In the sims 4, there is no background white noice, just silence.
    643117-925292_20050225_002.jpg

I’m glad you mentioned that, because I thought maybe I was the only one. In many neighborhoods, TS4 lacks ambient background noise. TS2 would have dogs barking, birds chirping, the sound of cars, etc. Especially in many areas of the city, it’s just too quiet.
  • Options
    Felicity wrote: »
    @Cynna : I can fully understand why you like the Paralives graphics so much more than the Sims 4 one, it is much better! As you said, it has more depth and detail and is a big improvement!

But as I said: I would be alone with my opinion, because I like The Sims 3´s graphics the best. I don´t like this bright colors and the missing of sharpness. I like my game looking more real!

You're not alone -- I prefer the Sims 3 graphics. I do use skins for the sims, but I use skins for Sims 2 and Sims 4 sims as well.
    Me too now but always Maxis Match. It just improves what I already like.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited October 2019

I understand what you're saying. I also happen to agree. To me, TS3 has the best art style in the Sims series. With its fog and sunlight effects, the worlds have a much crisper more realistic feel.

I'm excited to see what the next phase of the genre will look like when Paralives is finally released.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    TistouTistou Posts: 72 Member
    I don't care much for building and making homes, but yeah the gameplay is lacking. Only reason I'm not playing The Sims 2 is that it takes too long to load and The Sims 4 loads fast, but it is more boring.
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    Am I the only one not finding anything exciting with Paralives right now? There's literally nothing pulling me in :|
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    edited November 2019
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    Am I the only one not finding anything exciting with Paralives right now? There's literally nothing pulling me in :|

I'm sure there are many others. It might be because since they aren't excited by it they don't visit/post here.

I think it looks interesting.

Edit: I'm not being snippy. I read back my post and don't want to seem I'm being snippy at you. They might just gloss over it and decide to visit another thread or something. It's OK not to be excited.
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member

You aren't. It looks more like a building simulator than a life simulator.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited November 2019

I'm not excited about it. It does look interesting but it's still way too early in development just yet for me. So much can happen between now and release that it doesn't even guarantee a release. It sure doesn't seem to be going belly under, but until it's here and real, I won't be excited. I'd also like to see game play as well, so far I've only seen building and if I want to build, TS4 building I have zero issues with. The building in TS4 is the best it's been in the series so far, (IMO). It's the game play where I have a gripe. Paralives hasn't said anything or shown any game play yet. So far what they have said about it, sounds like it's TS3, which I already have so... between 3 for the play and 4 for the build, Paralives will have to combine those 2 well for me to be interested in them. I do want to see it make it though. It would be great for the sims to have some competition. A little competition is healthy. ;) For now though, I've already spent my money here so unless it's actually different or combines the elements I like in both TS3 and TS4 well, I'll probably stay out of it.

I guess I actually am excited for it... but not to play it myself, but for the competition and how it might spur EA/Maxis to make us a better sims experience.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    edited November 2019

• Advanced build tools
    • An open world neighborhood
    • Fully customizable buildings and furniture
    • Advanced character creator
    • Complex personalities and character AI
    • Cars, bikes and boats
    • Pets, seasons and a lot of fun!

(source)

We will have to wait and see of course, but it looks like it will be more than a building simulator. Cemeteries have been confirmed too.
    Camkat wrote: »

I'm not excited about it. It does look interesting but it's still way too early in development just yet for me. So much can happen between now and release that it doesn't even guarantee a release. It sure doesn't seem to be going belly under, but until it's here and real, I won't be excited. I'd also like to see game play as well, so far I've only seen building and if I want to build, TS4 building I have zero issues with. The building in TS4 is the best it's been in the series so far, (IMO). It's the game play where I have a gripe. Paralives hasn't said anything or shown any game play yet. So far what they have said about it, sounds like it's TS3, which I already have so... between 3 for the play and 4 for the build, Paralives will have to combine those 2 well for me to be interested in them. I do want to see it make it though. It would be great for the sims to have some competition. A little competition is healthy. ;) For now though, I've already spent my money here so unless it's actually different or combines the elements I like in both TS3 and TS4 well, I'll probably stay out of it.

I guess I actually am excited for it... but not to play it myself, but for the competition and how it might spur EA/Maxis to make us a better sims experience.
    Building in Sims 4 has it’s nice touches but it’s boring as well. The tools seem to be mainly focused on making things easier, not more challenging and creative. That’s exactly where Paralives actually constantly hits the nail on the head for me. And for those not excited: nothing wrong with playing Sims 4 for the next decade.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

My biggest concern is that right now everything looks plastique and shiny just like sims 4. I don't want that. I want wood to look like wood and cloth to look like cloth and leaves to look like leaves and grass to look like grass. I realize things are early in development and that might change. I hope so. One of the reasons I don't like SIms 4 (among many) is the plastique look.

I will happily stay with Sims 3 if his finished product resembles sims 4 like it is doing now. :wink: I left cartoons behind many many years ago and things have come a long way since pac-man, frogger and space invaders and the pixel smushed peoples from the early RPG games...yes dating myself, but that's ok.

I much prefer the style of medieval version of sims or even Witcher. :smiley:

I prefer looking forward, not going backwards. Retro is fine if you are talking bell bottomed jeans, tie dye t's, 🐸🐸🐸🐸 skirts and peasant blouses, but not in gaming.
  • Options
    bekkasan wrote: »
    My biggest concern is that right now everything looks plastique and shiny just like sims 4. I don't want that. I want wood to look like wood and cloth to look like cloth and leaves to look like leaves and grass to look like grass. I realize things are early in development and that might change. I hope so. One of the reasons I don't like SIms 4 (among many) is the plastique look.

I will happily stay with Sims 3 if his finished product resembles sims 4 like it is doing now. :wink: I left cartoons behind many many years ago and things have come a long way since pac-man, frogger and space invaders and the pixel smushed peoples from the early RPG games...yes dating myself, but that's ok.

I prefer looking forward, not going backwards. Retro is fine if you are talking bell bottomed jeans, tie dye t's, 🐸🐸🐸🐸 skirts and peasant blouses, but not in gaming.
    It’s indeed not graphics that make me interested in this game. I so regret how important that appears to be for this current generation of simmers, looks. EA gets away with everything because of it, looks. “Yes gameplay is poor but see how amaaaaazing it all looks!” As if simmers are reducing themselves to the level of magpies: as long as it shines we’re fine.

I’m not. I need a game that’s challenging in itself, regardless of its graphics.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member

For the moment. You can't cook a pie without starting with the dough.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

• Advanced build tools
    • Cars, bikes and boats

(source)

We will have to wait and see of course, but it looks like it will be more than a building simulator. Cemeteries have been confirmed too.

Building in Sims 4 has it’s nice touches but it’s boring as well. The tools seem to be mainly focused on making things easier, not more challenging and creative. That’s exactly where Paralives actually constantly hits the nail on the head for me. And for those not excited: nothing wrong with playing Sims 4 for the next decade.

But where are they? All I see are some big shiny promises. I have yet to see this character creator.

Also, I was in their discord for a bit, and they don't seem keen on occults, which is my preferred play style.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

• Advanced build tools
    • Cars, bikes and boats

(source)

But where are they? All I see are some big shiny promises. I have yet to see this character creator.

Also, I was in their discord for a bit, and they don't seem keen on occults, which is my preferred play style.
    Yes, it’s early days. No reason to be underwhelmed nor overwhelmed yet. The fact they’ve just shown building mode so far clearly doesn’t mean that’s all though. I can wait, we’ll see. If characters are anything like what building mode shows, I can’t be but hopeful. I don’t really understand why people who love Sims 4 care tbh. The only reason I care is because I lost all interest in Sims 4 and I’m more than ready for something new.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I think I could get more excited about Paralives once I do see more. It's just still way to early for me. I do have the ability to get excited about something, but I guess I'm just more of a wait until the last minute to be excited kind of person. Ha! It definitely looks like a promising game and considering I'm interesting in sims, something I could get interested in. If I prefer it or not would wait to be seen of course. I am excited for the competition though, for sure. It's sorely needed.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options

It’s indeed not graphics that make me interested in this game. I so regret how important that appears to be for this current generation of simmers, looks. EA gets away with everything because of it, looks. “Yes gameplay is poor but see how amaaaaazing it all looks!” As if simmers are reducing themselves to the level of magpies: as long as it shines we’re fine.

I’m not. I need a game that’s challenging in itself, regardless of its graphics.

I suppose if the game play was good I'd deal with the looks. I dunno. Hard to get enthused about the artistic style if you don't like it. Was looking for some cc the other day and saw some images. Clicked on one...it was for sims 4 but the sim was so full of cc that she looked exactly like a sims 3 sim. Guess other folks don't like that sims 4 look either and make enough cc to take it out of their game. Not enough game play or wow factor to pull me over to sims 4. I sure hope Paralives has wow factor. I do like some of the things he has shown in build mode, the ability to move things around. That some things will be in base game that Sims requires EP's for, so that is nice. I'm going to keep watching and see what develops.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited November 2019

• Advanced build tools
    • Cars, bikes and boats

(source)

Yes, it’s early days. No reason to be underwhelmed nor overwhelmed yet. The fact they’ve just shown building mode so far clearly doesn’t mean that’s all though. I can wait, we’ll see. If characters are anything like what building mode shows, I can’t be but hopeful. I don’t really understand why people who love Sims 4 care tbh. The only reason I care is because I lost all interest in Sims 4 and I’m more than ready for something new.

Exactly. If TS4 is so amazing why bother about a thread talking about Paralives. If I was still in TS3 era's I wouldn't care at all about another simulation game cause TS3 was amazing.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    I think I could get more excited about Paralives once I do see more. It's just still way to early for me. I do have the ability to get excited about something, but I guess I'm just more of a wait until the last minute to be excited kind of person. Ha! It definitely looks like a promising game and considering I'm interesting in sims, something I could get interested in. If I prefer it or not would wait to be seen of course. I am excited for the competition though, for sure. It's sorely needed.
    Yes, I’m like that as well to be honest. Not excited. Curious and interested though. And I did put the game on a wishlist on Steam, because I want to contribute as much as I can to make things happen. Except for supporting with money, not going to do that. When the game’s ready and interesting enough to try, that’s when I’m going to pay.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

I suppose if the game play was good I'd deal with the looks. I dunno. Hard to get enthused about the artistic style if you don't like it. Was looking for some cc the other day and saw some images. Clicked on one...it was for sims 4 but the sim was so full of cc that she looked exactly like a sims 3 sim. Guess other folks don't like that sims 4 look either and make enough cc to take it out of their game. Not enough game play or wow factor to pull me over to sims 4. I sure hope Paralives has wow factor. I do like some of the things he has shown in build mode, the ability to move things around. That some things will be in base game that Sims requires EP's for, so that is nice. I'm going to keep watching and see what develops.
    Looks are important for this game, I realize that (though I fell in love with Sims 3 on medium settings and that looked pretty bad I can assure you ;)). But I’m not going to judge this game based on only that. I play the Goose game now and it’s fun, graphics aren’t everything. Besides, I notice Paralives is starting to look better than it did in the beginning.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    I am following Paralives now so will see how things go. I will not pay for anything at this stage. Money is too tight as it is. I still play my Sims 3 game on medium settings as my lap top just can't deal with higher settings.
    I think it is worth watching him to see what else he comes up with. He has obviously seen and read some of the things we complain about and have asked for over the years.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Exactly. If TS4 is so amazing why bother about a thread talking about Paralives. If I was still in TS3 era's I wouldn't care at all about another simulation game cause TS3 was amazing.

No kidding. While TS3 was current, I was only peripherally aware that some TS2 players hated the holy bejeebus out of it. However, I was so busy building, decorating, and playing my families, I didn't have the time nor the desire to engage. The only time that I took to go on the internet was to cruise for more cc or, sometimes, I'd post in the Neighborhood 99 forums. I was a really active member until TS3 came along and eclipsed all of that stuff. Open world and story progression were the advancements that I had been waiting for. Those things and more were worth anything that I might have lost moving to TS3 from TS2.

Now the shoe's on the other foot. I dislike the latest iteration and I spend my time on the forums, bemoaning what happened to my favorite series and hoping that the Gurus will add some of the stuff that is missing. (Pool tables, bunk beds, picnic baskets, and much, much smarter and unique Sims.) Yet, there are assuredly many, many players that are too busy playing TS4 to engage with the likes of me. I can guarantee it. :D
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member

I was only sharing an opinion, really. It's like those who are done with Sims 4 still talking about it. I just struggle to understand how Paralives is being hailed as the biggest rival to the Sims franchise when nobody's seen any gameplay or what the people look like yet. Steam's advertising these complex characters but nobody's seen the evidence of them yet. :|
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png