Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My big worry with the lack of Simgurus leaking information.

Comments

• CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    The gameplay trailer is also out soon, probably Tuesday.

They're not gonna show every single detail in the LS to the point where there'd be nothing for the players to discover when they have the pack.

This. I wouldn't want them to show me everything either. I would want to discover some things on my own.

Now if they do end up showing every single detail, sad EP indeed. An EP should have more than 2 hours of game play. Worse is we won't even know until we've paid for it. I don't mind spoilers from youtube either after the pack is launched and everyone is playing. I was a little sad that everything they showed in the ROM LS was actually everything in the pack. I'm hoping DU will have a little more meat to it than IL, but I'm not holding my breath either.

Why is that? Just wait until the pack has been out for a while before deciding whether to purchase it or not.

I actually agree with you and I will wait until I've seen more, maybe watch a few youtube videos, see what people say on the forums. However, someone has to buy them first to get the information out and I was more meaning those people. People will spend money and they might be happy or disappointed. My saying "we won't even know until we've paid for it" includes members of the community as a whole. Not myself specifically. ;)

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • EdieApplebyEdieAppleby Posts: 134 Member
    They had me at three new careers.
  • LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    They did this with Get Together and it wound up getting delayed from November to December but I don't see that happening here as the Livestream is still on for Friday. If this game was getting delayed they would cancel the Livestream. Well let's hope it isn't. I hate Game Delays.

I don‘t if that would mean that they are adding more stuff to the pack what their customers are actually asked for.
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

• TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Nah Announce weeks is always like This. As far As I recall when City Living was announced it taken a week before new information drops aside from small Q and A like we had now. Even Cats and Dogs. We only now that pets are not controllable after announcements but besides that we didn't learn a lot until it was weeks before the release date.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Am I worried the pack will be lacking? I don’t know...honestly I liked realm of magic a lot and didn’t find it lacking but it did have some odd quality issues for sure. Island living was disappointing though and was lacking. For me there has to be a reason they aren’t hyping this and I’m hoping it’s not because it’s shallow. Maybe they aren’t because they want to get people’s curiosity up. Maybe the team has to keep tight lipped about this one till the livestream for some reason. I don’t think they would keep quiet if they are worried the pack is bad. Why would the intentionally release something they think won’t excite fans? I mean EA has its flaws but the devs do really seem to try for the most part to give us an enjoyable game. I have a feeling it’s more an issue behind the scenes we just don’t know about, for some reason they aren’t allowed to share anything.

However I think the biggest issue right now isn’t that they aren’t giving us its info, it’s peoples excitement and enthusiasm is dying down because they aren’t giving us info. Like I’m cool waiting till the livestream for information but it’s also making me want to make the new Pokémon game my November 15th purchase not university. It’s hard to be excited about something you have next to no info about and won’t get info about till a week before it’s released. It’s more odd to me than anything. I hope it’s a great pack. I really enjoyed sims 3 university.
    scoed wrote: »
    They did for Island Living and Realm of Magic, ok, nearly everything anyway. Of course they were shallow packs. My fear with this one.

Well I haven't played all the features in either of those packs so I guess shallow is in the eye of the beholder.

Just want to add that me & I think most of the people do not play with every feature not because packs are so big but just because these features are boring.

Seems like we are not alone thinking this EP is gonna be shallow.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv5cnMQpdVQ

Yes, and don’t forget Carl who also shared his mind on YouTube. He is my favorite youtuber.

Akl500P wrote: »
    Am I worried the pack will be lacking? I don’t know...honestly I liked realm of magic a lot and didn’t find it lacking but it did have some odd quality issues for sure. Island living was disappointing though and was lacking. For me there has to be a reason they aren’t hyping this and I’m hoping it’s not because it’s shallow. Maybe they aren’t because they want to get people’s curiosity up. Maybe the team has to keep tight lipped about this one till the livestream for some reason. I don’t think they would keep quiet if they are worried the pack is bad. Why would the intentionally release something they think won’t excite fans? I mean EA has its flaws but the devs do really seem to try for the most part to give us an enjoyable game. I have a feeling it’s more an issue behind the scenes we just don’t know about, for some reason they aren’t allowed to share anything.

However I think the biggest issue right now isn’t that they aren’t giving us its info, it’s peoples excitement and enthusiasm is dying down because they aren’t giving us info. Like I’m cool waiting till the livestream for information but it’s also making me want to make the new Pokémon game my November 15th purchase not university. It’s hard to be excited about something you have next to no info about and won’t get info about till a week before it’s released. It’s more odd to me than anything. I hope it’s a great pack. I really enjoyed sims 3 university.

Or Maybe it is because EA fired around 350 people in their marketing department around the time before Island Living was even released. I don't know why is this been overlooked here in the forums, but over since that event, games across EA had less marketing than ever before. This was evident in other games even at Need For Speed. If you compared the amount of marketing materials from NFS Payback to NFS Heat ( Even by just looking at their Youtube Channel) You will see how the marketing suffered for the game, It is the same as in The Sims Studio. It is not the Devs job to excite the fans, it is the marketing team that excite them. Mostly the marketing team release materials for the game and the developers will comment based on it, such as what had been announced and what trailers had been released.
    TS1299 wrote: »

Or Maybe it is because EA fired around 350 people in their marketing department around the time before Island Living was even released. I don't know why is this been overlooked here in the forums, but over since that event, games across EA had less marketing than ever before. This was evident in other games even at Need For Speed. If you compared the amount of marketing materials from NFS Payback to NFS Heat ( Even by just looking at their Youtube Channel) You will see how the marketing suffered for the game, It is the same as in The Sims Studio. It is not the Devs job to excite the fans, it is the marketing team that excite them. Mostly the marketing team release materials for the game and the developers will comment based on it, such as what had been announced and what trailers had been released.

So? Should we, the customers take the blame for it now or suffer on lack of content and game play and just except the shallowness for overpriced packs? I mean, it’s not like they have lowered the price or anything on empty packs, have they?

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,838 Member
    They did for Island Living and Realm of Magic, ok, nearly everything anyway. Of course they were shallow packs. My fear with this one.

Well I haven't played all the features in either of those packs so I guess shallow is in the eye of the beholder.

Just want to add that me & I think most of the people do not play with every feature not because packs are so big but just because these features are boring.

And boring is also in the eye of the beholder. Guess I'm fortunate that my gameplay never results in boredom. 🙂
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Marketing has nothing to do with the devs answering a few questions on Twitter or here or releasing a screen shot or two. In fact, if marketing is down and can't do the job, the devs should step in and fill that void and keep the info flowing. The only excuse for no info is that it isn't worth showing. I know that they are saying that they want to save it all for the LS, but a picture or two wouldn't spoil all that much now would it? If it did, again, lite pack.

Frost tweeted (on Oct. 24th) that they might speed through CAS, BB and focus a lot on gameplay which, in turn, will answer a lot.
    This differs from Frost's first tweet (Oct. 22nd) that announced that Gurus Azure and Steph would be hosting and educating us on everything related to Create-A-Sim, Build-Buy, world and gameplay!

Two days after the first tweet, Frost announces that there will be less CAS and B/B and more gameplay. What changed in those two days for them to regroup and change the focus of the LS? Could it be our questioning why there isn't any info and our guessing that the pack was lite?

And if the focus has changed to more gameplay and a skimming over CAS and B/B, why can't they release a few pictures of an outfit or two or some of the B/B stuff? Not everything, just a taste of what's in this huge, full, bursting at the seams pack of collegiate gameplay.

It will be interesting to see if there is so much gameplay that now the majority of the LS will be gameplay centric or if they will try and "sell" the gameplay as so expansive and so immersive that we will be playing for hours on end. Good luck Azure and Steph. We'll be watching...... closely.
  • scoedscoed Posts: 91 Member
    Well if they fired the entire part marketing department that had a clue what they are doing maybe they did forget how to move product. Still the info tweets never did come from the marketing department. I did notice tweets started as normal then nothing. It could be that someone without a clue is in charge of marketing. The early tweets sold me, the lack of tweets is making me think of asking for my money back. I decided as I love all 4 The Sims games (not necessarily the packs though as there was some duds) I will not ask for my money back as I would likely buy it later for completeness sake when discounted anyway. Still silence is horrible way to move a product. It screams a weak one that can't carry typical excitement based on it features. And if this is another Island Living it will be the last time I pre-order.

So our best hope is a major game producer fired everyone with a clue on how to sell their product thus the stupid silence gimmick and they aren't hiding a weak pack? Even that doesn't instill me with confidence long term for the game's future and that seems to be the best case scenario. Given how disorganized this launch has been it could be marketing is utterly clueless and putting a gag on everything because they think all they need to do is say we have a sims product, who cares what is in it now give me your money. Well I bought so it work on one utter fool at least. But I am feeling pretty stupid about it, now.

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I read through everything that was in Sims 2 and Sims 3 Uni and to be honest just reading what is included does not sound like tons but I do know I have a great time playing both games. Of course if someones interest is not in actually going to University - then i can see anyone of the University games as lacking seeing they are about going to University and not rest of the family from home.

None of the previous University games offered content outside of the University students world really but oddly in Sims 2 and 3 it didn't seem to matter but now - judging by posts I see - it suddenly matters to some players.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

I think players are stuck on kids riding bikes because kids (and toddlers) get left out of everything. Even Parenthood was more about the YA parents than the kids/teens. There might be the occasional new clothes and the rare hair style, but mostly, they get forgotten. On a weekend about kids, we are discussing Sims kids being left out again. Par for the course I'm sorry to say.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Well they do say a fool and his money are soon parted. But all is not lost.

Here's how to return a game with the Great Game Guarantee
    You may return eligible EA full game downloads (PC or Mac) and participating third party titles purchased on Origin for a full refund. Refund requests can be made within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within fourteen days from your date of purchase, or within fourteen days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first. And if you purchase a new EA game within the first 30 days of its release date and can't play it due to technical reasons within EA's control, you can request a refund within 72 hours after you first launch the game instead of 24.

Visit your Order History and select the Request a Refund link next to any eligible* product.
    Complete and submit the Refund Request Form.
    You'll get a response within 48 hours and your refund within 10 days.

https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/great-game-guarantee

And since you're expecting only a few hours of gameplay you should have enough time to do it all.

Hopefully this applies to DLC.

It doesn’t apply to dlc. You can however cancel a pre order. Sometimes they get a bit annoyed but you can do it- I did it for cats and dogs.
  • scoedscoed Posts: 91 Member
    @Writin_Reg But at least from what I remember the rewards for going majorly changed the game. Like with extra personality slots in The Sims 3. And in The Sims 3 those slots had an actual impact on gameplay, not like in The Sims 4 where other than a moodlet most of them do nothing. If I remember right in fact in Sims 3 you had to worry about grades and skills to get scholarships pre-university to have an easier time paying for Uni. The pack impacted the whole game both before and after Uni. And it did it in a meaningful way.

You see the devil is in the details. Island Living had a long list of features. It did. But very few mattered off of it's world or could even be done off of Sulani. None had a major impact on the rest of the game. And most lost its appeal doing it once or twice. What is worse I was so stoked until I played the details. We have a feature blog. We don't have details. Details are where the game lives or dies. I can't remember The Sims 2 University that much as it has been over a decade sense I last played The Sims 2. But they definitely got it right in The Sims 3: University Life.

They are hiding the details that is scary as that will make or break the pack. I am looking for deep features with lots of variety and game play that affect the whole game in a positive matter not a long list of one and done features that take little gameplay that has zero impact on the rest of the game. If they make this pack as impactful as The Sims 3: University LIfe, I will be ecstatic. That pack changed how I approached Sims 3 in meaningful and fun way. IF Discover University is as well thought out or heck half as well thought out with real difficulties, goals, and rewards. I will launch a formal apology to the designers and the community for doubting it. And trust me I want to eat my words, but I doubt I will.

In marketing silence = weak most of the time. Maxis prove me wrong please. The SIms 1 through 4 are some of my favorite games. I actually have done more promoting for The Sims 4 than complaining. They have me nervous about the games future. It seems over the last year quality has dropped. Gameplay in the latest pacts seems to be an after thought. Then they don't even talk about the contents of their latest offering, acting ashamed of it not proud of it. I am worried that if current trends continue it will kill my favorite game that is supported.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member

And boring is also in the eye of the beholder. Guess I'm fortunate that my gameplay never results in boredom. 🙂

I'm delighted you can enjoy TS4 like that. Wish I could do the same.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Me too - I am never bored. Like I love IL just as it was created - but I see others say it's boring and I don't get that at all. Had the Islands been designed to turn into Vacationland I would have found that limited and boring - yet that is what many players complained about not being able to do.

Concept in these packs is definitely in the eye of the beholder is really what it comes down to, and why a lot of us are actually happy with Sims 4 and others are not. It only becomes disappointing to some of us - not all of us. People need to remember this.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Me too - I am never bored. Like I love IL just as it was created - but I see others say it's boring and I don't get that at all. Had the Islands been designed to turn into Vacationland I would have found that limited and boring - yet that is what many players complained about not being able to do.

Concept in these packs is definitely in the eye of the beholder is really what it comes down to, and why a lot of us are actually happy with Sims 4 and others are not. It only becomes disappointing to some of us - not all of us. People need to remember this.

We are totally aware of it. I know that new simmers who only joined with TS4 love this game, and they are many. That's good news for you guys who enjoy TS4, but not for the rest of us.
    Before you tell, I know you didn't start with TS4.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    edited November 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Strawmanning. People mostly complained we couldn't create hotels/rental lots - not the same as turning all of Sulani into a vacation world. And adding a feature to Island Living (which it so desperately needs as it is a huge heap of nothing) wouldn't have been "limiting" in any way - quite the opposite.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    The best excuse they could have for the silence is that they realized the community was asking for basic things that weren’t in the pack, and they’ve been scrambling to add in a few more things, knowing we won’t be impressed if they don’t. If they still have time, that is. I wouldn’t mind that if they just deliver something we feel is worth it. Even if it’s delayed!
    LuvMySimz wrote: »
    TS1299 wrote: »

So? Should we, the customers take the blame for it now or suffer on lack of content and game play and just except the shallowness for overpriced packs? I mean, it’s not like they have lowered the price or anything on empty packs, have they?

I am talking about the marketing not the development side of the pack
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Marketing has nothing to do with the devs answering a few questions on Twitter or here or releasing a screen shot or two. In fact, if marketing is down and can't do the job, the devs should step in and fill that void and keep the info flowing. The only excuse for no info is that it isn't worth showing. I know that they are saying that they want to save it all for the LS, but a picture or two wouldn't spoil all that much now would it? If it did, again, lite pack.

Frost tweeted (on Oct. 24th) that they might speed through CAS, BB and focus a lot on gameplay which, in turn, will answer a lot.
    This differs from Frost's first tweet (Oct. 22nd) that announced that Gurus Azure and Steph would be hosting and educating us on everything related to Create-A-Sim, Build-Buy, world and gameplay!

Two days after the first tweet, Frost announces that there will be less CAS and B/B and more gameplay. What changed in those two days for them to regroup and change the focus of the LS? Could it be our questioning why there isn't any info and our guessing that the pack was lite?

And if the focus has changed to more gameplay and a skimming over CAS and B/B, why can't they release a few pictures of an outfit or two or some of the B/B stuff? Not everything, just a taste of what's in this huge, full, bursting at the seams pack of collegiate gameplay.

It will be interesting to see if there is so much gameplay that now the majority of the LS will be gameplay centric or if they will try and "sell" the gameplay as so expansive and so immersive that we will be playing for hours on end. Good luck Azure and Steph. We'll be watching...... closely.

Even though it was mentioned Azure and Steph will be attending I think there will be other gurus as well. Island Living I believe had about 6 gurus two for every section. I hope Geoff and Ninja are there and it would be awesome if Graham would be demoing as well.
  • Isa_MenezesIsa_Menezes Posts: 101 Member
    My fear: such silence and then, at 8th, they will say all the things we're afraid of (like the dorms being like the apartments from City Living, for example), but they'll say: "hey, but you can have bikes; robots; or look at it; look at that", for trying to make us to focus in the "good" other things and "forget" all the things they didn't put in the "expansion" or all the things they reused.
    I hope I am super wrong. Really. :/
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

Even though it was mentioned Azure and Steph will be attending I think there will be other gurus as well. Island Living I believe had about 6 gurus two for every section. I hope Geoff and Ninja are there and it would be awesome if Graham would be demoing as well.

I don't see other gurus being there considering that none of those other gurus see fit to post pictures or answer questions. I think poor Azure and Steph will be left on their own. I wish them luck.