Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do people not like MOO?

Comments

• Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Hoverael wrote: »
    i never use it. however occasionally i run across a situation in playtesting my lots where my sim gets stuck inside a bathroom and can't get out unless i reload the game, not sure that is related to it or a whole other unrelated matter?
    This issue is the worst. They somehow got into the bathroom, but can’t get out. And I finally notice 2 sim hours later when they’re late for something. (And why is it always a bathroom?) I’ve had this happen in situations where the MOO cheat must have been used to place the door - say they wanted to use a 2-tile door where only a 1-tile door should fit. It has also happened when this doesn’t seem to be the case, because I go into bb mode, pick up the door, place it again without a cheat, and suddenly it’s no problem for my sim. So I guess it’s unrelated to the cheat but I can’t figure out what causes it.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I don't hate it but some builders are pretty irresponsible with it. All lots should be play tested. While things look pretty they should also be functional. We have set dressing for the pretty and I download a lot to play and so it should work. I've fixed a few with routing issues but my patience is thinning on this and sometimes now I just won't bother and I'll delete it and get another. If I see a lot with comments that there are issues, I won't even try and if the comments say they were play tested first, I'm more likely to give it a go. I use MOO too in some of my builds, but I play test first and usually it's just for decorative items in some corner and away from items my sims might need like the bookcases etc.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I don't mind if people use it, I just don't. I'm not a big fan of cheats & while I do use some, MOO isn't one I'm drawn to. Even when building, the process of placing items on counters and wherever feels complicated.

And then when downloading, I'd need to remember to turn the cheat on before placing. I don't download lots much anyway since I prefer to make my own. And they're cluttered and busy enough as it is so I don't see the need to making them more so. Dunno, it just, for the most part, seems unnecessary to me.
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Some people have it on at all times including during gameplay and I don't understand why. Do you enjoy dragging empty plates and mistakenly placing them mid-air ? Is it fun for you ?

I do use it for my builds when F5 and Alt do not cut it anymore, and it's something supremely silly like "oh no you can't place two posters on these corner walls they would block each other !" when it would make no difference for the game whatsoever.
    Footprint for most items especially deco one is so unnecessarily big it's frustrating. Why does that plant needs such a wide berth around it ? Is it gonna start breakdancing when I'm not looking?

I don't leave it on though. TS4 is already such a buggy mess, there's no point in breaking routing even more.
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    I'm a complete newbie when it comes to building, so I'm very careful with how and when I use it. I don't hate it at all, I actually prefer it for furnishing the houses, especially the kitchens. And, of course, it always needs testing for routing issues.
  • Options
    Madachan88Madachan88 Posts: 360 Member
    I'm using MOO in my builds but only when I need too like landscaping with plants in the outside area or posters. And I always play test my builds. Never I put much too much clutter in them because too much and your game will lag specific on big lots. And I don't like it when stuff starts flickering. Or my sims getting routing fails.
    And gallery restaurants are often not working probably because of too much MOO. I needed too edit more than one of lilsimsies restaurants too get them working because of this.
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    Madachan88 wrote: »
    And I don't like it when stuff starts flickering.

I’ve never had objects flicker. What causes the flickering? Is it that they’re too close together?
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited November 2019
    In the earlier days I think you had to have the MOO cheat on if you downloaded builds from the gallery that used MOO, otherwise the objects would get placed incorrectly. But I'm not sure you have to do that anymore.

I don't mind people using MOO for their builds on the gallery, I have always assumed that if you want to play them you have to make some small changes anyway...

There are however some things that don't work well with MOO, restaurants for example, if you place the cooking station with MOO, then it will not work properly, the cooks will not make any food.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,960 Member
    I like to use it but I don't like to download lots and rooms that use too much of it
    if that makes sense ._.'

like if I am looking for a build I am looking for functional one I can build upon
    not a full package of aesthetic clutter

it feels sort of like difference between having fully organized closet vs messy closet
    I like to know what I got in my closet by just taking one look at it and I also like builds I download that way
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    Madachan88 wrote: »
    And I don't like it when stuff starts flickering.

I’ve never had objects flicker. What causes the flickering? Is it that they’re too close together?

Yep, objects stacked on top of each other/overlapping.

Even though I love MOO I avoid builds with that, I dislike massive amounts of overlapping/stacking
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    I use moo all the time but the only houses that I upload are the ones my family is living in, often for several generations. I put it in my gallery to save and later decide why not share it ? I just have to make sure there are no dirty dishes laying around.

I have never ever had problem with routing issues. Why don't you just remove the offending object?
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    Routing issues, unusable objects, but also, sometimes you put the walls down and see things floating - that bugs me.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Frn0731 wrote: »
    Why don't you just remove the offending object?
    It’s a simple enough solution, sure. But by the time I identify that something isn’t right, I’ve already been inconvenienced. I’ve queued up actions, moved along to other sims in the house, and gone back to the first sim to check on them, only to find them complaining about being in a state they should have fixed already. Sometimes it seems like this happens every sim day and I wonder when I’ll have fixed them all - if I didn’t build the house myself how am I to know where MOO was used? Sometimes I can’t tell just by looking. And sometimes I use MOO and the object works just fine, too, so I don’t want to be too hasty in removing everything.
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member

I was wondering that, too. 🧐

BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member

With some builds the sheer amount of clutter and use of MOO makes it very unintuitive when trying to find the offending object. I know I've been looking for a long time with a build I really wanted to use.

I don't download youtubers builds anymore although I still enjoy watching the build vids for ideas. I got very very tired of the lack of playtesting when MOO is used so extensively. I don't hate MOO - I love to use it - but I do love #playtested :)
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Its not really MOO itself I dislike, its using it to clutter up houses. Some builds I've downloaded were so full of stuff, it was extremely hard to move anything around, and absolutely impossible to ADD anything I needed. There was no room. Not for my sims to move around much, either. There are routing issues, of course.

The furthest I'll go with placing stuff where it normally wouldn't, is Alt-placement. I've yet to encounter any problems with it.
  • Options
    CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    CelSims wrote: »

With some builds the sheer amount of clutter and use of MOO makes it very unintuitive when trying to find the offending object. I know I've been looking for a long time with a build I really wanted to use.

I don't download youtubers builds anymore although I still enjoy watching the build vids for ideas. I got very very tired of the lack of playtesting when MOO is used so extensively. I don't hate MOO - I love to use it - but I do love #playtested :)

I found a really cute tiny house build video on YouTube that was really cluttered. I loved everything else about it, so I used it as inspiration and built my own, clutter free. It was also really satisfying creating a house from scratch.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    It was made to be used in Sims 2 boolprop and has been known to cause lag and glitches in other Sims games because it was not designed for other sims games. It had a lot more uses in Sims 2 - but even in Sims 2 it was often trouble. For one Guru's once said it was not designed to be left on all the time like players use it.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 452 Member
    I don't like moo because of all of the issues it causes. Outside for the landscaping I could care less, but the lots I'd prefer them to be left alone. I have so many lots that came from the gallery that are unusable. Even if they're play tested before uploading them they still seem to break.
  • Options
    akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    edited November 2019
    Pipersfun2 I'm so sorry about your cat. This one is Sebastian and he has be gone for 10 years, I miss him too.
    I love your sugar glider.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited November 2019
    I don't mind MOO being used in moderation as I do find build mode can be a bit too restrictive without it at times. Whenever I build I always try to use MOO as little as possible to avoid any issues, for example just to add a curtain to a window or a picture on a wall. The most important thing for me is that a build is fully functional and play tested. It also puts me off slightly if there is too much clutter or if objects appear to be floating, overlapping, or disappearing into the wall.
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    I usually only use it for tiny things, like landscaping as many have said. Mostly of the time, the Alt key will suffice. I think the only time I use it a lot would be placing windows if the roof would normally get in the way. Since that doesn't affect gameplay, I'm usually fine. It can be so frustrating when it's used for immense amounts of clutter.
    I've never left it switched on though. I used to get a lot of problems with routing in the early days of Sims 3 if it was left on. So I never really got into the habit and I'm glad I didn't.
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    well....I only build to play, so when I use MOO I already have the usability in mind therefore I hardly ever run into any routing problems caused by it (and if I do, I fix them), but I can't share my builds anyway since console doesn't have a gallery.....anyway, I loooove MOO and I love clutter.
    But I guess some builders are purely builders and don't play with their builds at all?
    babajayne wrote: »
    Hoverael wrote: »
    i never use it. however occasionally i run across a situation in playtesting my lots where my sim gets stuck inside a bathroom and can't get out unless i reload the game, not sure that is related to it or a whole other unrelated matter?
    This issue is the worst. They somehow got into the bathroom, but can’t get out. And I finally notice 2 sim hours later when they’re late for something. (And why is it always a bathroom?) I’ve had this happen in situations where the MOO cheat must have been used to place the door - say they wanted to use a 2-tile door where only a 1-tile door should fit. It has also happened when this doesn’t seem to be the case, because I go into bb mode, pick up the door, place it again without a cheat, and suddenly it’s no problem for my sim. So I guess it’s unrelated to the cheat but I can’t figure out what causes it.

I doubt it's MOO related, at least not always, cause I got stuck in one of the bathrooms of the Goths house which was untouched, there is already a thread in the bugs section about this, it is not only happening to me and not only at the Goths but other prebuilds too.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I use moo all the time but the only houses that I upload are the ones my family is living in, often for several generations. I put it in my gallery to save and later decide why not share it ? I just have to make sure there are no dirty dishes laying around.

I have never ever had problem with routing issues. Why don't you just remove the offending object?

Because sometimes it isn't just an "offending object". Sometimes the entire room has been messed up by it. There was one house I downloaded that I really loved, but one of the bedrooms was totally unusable because the only wall that was long enough for a single bed to be on was right in front of the door. The builder had originally put the bed against an angled ceiling and my Sim couldn't get to it no matter what I tried, and I had no idea how to fix the roof/ceiling/ whatever problem.

I had to delete the house and get another one.
  • Options
    JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    I LOVE MOO. If it wasn’t for MOO everything would look unusually placed just using the grid...and clutter wouldn’t be a thing in sims. All my builds use MOO, and all my builds are “sim tested” before being placed on the gallery.