Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is Pre-2012 CD the only way to play Sims w/o internet?

Since my ability to connect to the internet connection is not constant, I need to find a way to start Sims 3 from CD only without ANY internet connection.

As far as I know the only method is to have the pre-2012 disc to run the game from and refusing to upgrade to 1.69 upon installation of the game. And tracking down the discs to every EP, SP and world.

Even with Steam, I presume you still have to log in initially to Steam’s service in order to launch the game and with no access to the internet I presume that’s the only way

There is no way to do this when you upgrade to update version 1.69. . That ties you down to always having to have internet access just incase that Origin throws up an update and requires you to login to it’s client service again.

I guess I’m a troglodyte however it’s frustrating when you have to maintain a constant internet connection just to have access to the games you want to play, but I guess that’s the way video games are going we don’t pay to “own” the games any more. We pay for the right to rent the use of the game subject to TOS.
GYZ6Ak9.png
Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~

Comments

• ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited November 2019
    This is why I freakin hate to have third party clients to run games. I despise it. But companies like EA are so terrified of losing fifty cents that they punish the legit customers with horrible DRM's and stupid clients.

People say that if you set yourself offline on Origin or Steam or whatever, that you can still play your games, but in my experience, it hasn't really been the case. On Origin, yes I can sometimes play a game but none of my DLC or anything will show up because of their stupid "authentication" nonsense.
    Steam is less bad, but still bad. Someone more knowledgeable than me about Steam might be able to help more. I avoid all these dumb clients as much as possible.
    I'm sorry, I don't know another way to play completely offline other than the pre 2012 disc install and 1.67

edit - can't spell.
    Post edited by Pary on
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2019
    Certainly an Internet connection is required to install the Steam versions of TS3 and its EP/SPs and run them the first time for authentication purposes, but not from that point forward. Steam delivers its own build of Patch 1.67 and therefore a Launcher bypass using a shortcut/alias to TS3w.exe is still sufficient to launch the game after the first run. You will however also need some sort of Internet connection to obtain store content all over again as the game won't let you use store content downloaded under an Origin/disc account on the Steam platform, but that's just another form of one-time pain rather than something ongoing.

This may change sometime next year when Steam begins expanding its EA titles and there may be more of a Steam-Origin connection than the none, not possible, don't need it anyway one we have now. It remains to be seen what will be required of us TS3 players on Steam once that happens.

Of course, not that this is much help for today, it's also possible that Origin may someday fix its Play Offline feature so that it works closer to what was probably intended.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    If the issue is the 1.69 patch itself, would doing a re-install and then manually patching to 1.67 work?
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by KatyFernlily on
    edited November 2019
    Goulsquash wrote: »
    If the issue is the 1.69 patch itself, would doing a re-install and then manually patching to 1.67 work?
    Players on Windows who are on a Patch 1.69/Origin controlled install cannot downpatch to 1.67. That would break the game install entirely. There was a very short window back at the end of 2015 when the first variant of 1.69 was released where there was a sneaky way to do this that did work for some players, but it hasn't worked since then due to the tighter control and realigning of the program files with 1.69.

As soon as one installs a digital (not disc) version of the base game or any one of the EP/SPs by way of Origin or by using a base game disc manufactured after Sept 2012, one is on Patch 1.69 with no choices being offered.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Goulsquash wrote: »
    Players on Windows who are on a Patch 1.69/Origin controlled install cannot downpatch to 1.67. That would break the game install entirely. There was a very short window back at the end of 2015 when the first variant of 1.69 was released where there was a sneaky way to do this that did work for some players, but it hasn't worked since the due to the tighter control and realigning of the program files with 1.69.

As soon as one installs a digital (not disc) version of the base game or any one of the EP/SPs by way of Origin or by using a base game disc manufactured after Sept 2012, one is on Patch 1.69 with no choices being offered.

Oh wow, I've always owned disc versions so I've never had to fight an entire game company to play my games.
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited November 2019
    I’m going to try to track down the majority of the CDs that I don’t currently own. And install the game while offline with my pre-2012 disc (my wife said it was somewhere around here and that she saw it -if not I’ll track down two of the pre-2012 discs.
    (one for her; one for me) )

Of the discs that I currently own

EPs

Late Night
    Seasons
    University Life
    Island Paradise
    Into the Future

SPs

High End Loft Stuff

Worlds

Monte Vista (has disc)

Downloaded

EP

World Adventures
    Ambitions
    Generations
    Supernatural
    Pets
    Showtime

SP

None

Worlds

Riverview (free)
    Hidden Springs (gifted by @CravenLestat$

Have to Replace or Purchase via CD

EPs

World Adventures
    Ambitions
    Generations
    Supernatural
    Pets
    Showtime

SPs

Fast Lane Stuff
    Outdoor Living Stuff
    Town Life Stuff
    Master Suite Stuff
    Katy Perry’s Sweet Treats
    Diesel Stuff
    70s, 80s, & 90s Stuff
    Movie Stuff

Worlds

Hidden Springs (on CD)
    Whatever other worlds I can find via disc.

I want to at least get off 1.69 and do a fresh disc install via 1.67 so that I can play without having to access Origin.

GYZ6Ak9.png
    edited November 2019
    You can leave all of the store worlds off your list entirely if this makes things any easier. The disc "versions" of the worlds just bring you to the TS3 store anyway. Origin for some of them may act as a purchasing agent just like the retail stores did with the discs, but it doesn't matter how the worlds that are sold for cash as opposed to store points are purchased. It's the TS3 store that provides them for download and installation through the Launcher in every case, not Origin itself and the worlds have nothing to do with Patch 1.69.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited November 2019
    Most of the newer ones that I’ve seen are digital download only. But my Monte Vista (which I have yet to install) is surprisingly...

9D48C5D1-11B1-43DE-8684-170963BEE6CD.jpeg
    77FAE564-EA94-4D85-AA37-9DECA4162402.jpeg

It contains a disc. :puzzled: so that thing is pretty useless since it points to a store item?

I’m presuming all store items have to be repurchased or is it re-downloaded?
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    edited November 2019
    I've never had a TS3 store world disc in my own hands to be honest. Actually, I've never had any TS3 discs in my own hands as my installs have always been digital. But I'm almost positive that regardless of what those instructions say the disc doesn't really do anything for you except allow you to have spent your money in a retail store (or wherever) rather than through Origin or the origin.com website either of which would in that case be acting as purchasing agents only.

No one should need to repurchase store content, including worlds, if they are continuing to use the same store account and login credentials. Redownload, maybe although even that shouldn't be necessary for an Origin to disc install crossover.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • ehl451ehl451 Posts: 38 Member
    @Nikkei_Simmer, the Monte Vista disc doesn't have the world file on it. People have had problems using the game launcher to download the world.

You need to register your world code on the TS3 Store site and then go to your purchase history to download your file.
    @ehl451 oh great. So in other words the disc itself is just a “glorified coaster”. :mrgreen: I can just skip a couple steps and just go directly to the Sims 3 store. I guess when I get my computer fixed, I’ll be putting Monte Vista on the game that I currently have.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • yoashmoyoashmo Posts: 528 Member
    I planned for an all disk install so I could stay at 1.67 on my new laptop. I got 5 discs in and couldn't get it to complete installation bc of a small scratch. So I ended up just doing the digital download for all ep's and sp's.
    I only needed internet for install. When I run my game I put my laptop in airplane mode. Origin will pop up and ask for your password. You put it in, the launcher opens, and you start your game. I think the very first time there may be a message about being offline but that's it, no internet needed.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @Nikkei_Simmer

Just a little heads up if you plan to go the pre 2012 disc route and still want to use your store content. I decided a while ago to start playing with S3 discs as trying to play through origin with constant windows updates totally ruined 3 for me. My first bit of advice after getting hold of the pre 2012 disc is turn your internet off when you are downloading the game as despite mine being downloaded to a seperate win 7 OS without an internet connection after going online just once on that hard drive to download a couple of apps I needed caused me to occasionally get the game flagging me to go online despite me not being online I have no idea why but better to be safe.

I also found I had to redownload the whole of my store content just using my pre 2012 base game disc and back it up because the store version I was using to play my digital game through origin would not work with my disc game as apparently it's coded differently. It is pain but at least you don't have to install the entire series to get your store content just the base game.

I think i also remember @igazor explaining that it was not possible to install both the disc version and the digital version of the game on the same hard drive as they would try and conflict. I think this could work the same with store content so i would suggest you keep them on separate hard drives or completely delete your origin and just use your discs but i have saved both the digital and disc versions of the store in case a future miracle happens that once again allows me to play 3 on windows 10 but I won't hold my breath :)
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,919 Member
    I often download my store content from the store pages because I find it painful to have to keep logging into my purchase history. The only items I need to get from Purchase History sre items that are no longer available from the store.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I have all my store content saved in a folder on my computer, and on a backup drive, so I never have to download it again.
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    I think i also remember @igazor explaining that it was not possible to install both the disc version and the digital version of the game on the same hard drive as they would try and conflict. I think this could work the same with store content so i would suggest you keep them on separate hard drives or completely delete your origin and just use your discs but i have saved both the digital and disc versions of the store in case a future miracle happens that once again allows me to play 3 on windows 10 but I won't hold my breath :)

I had two TS3 disks I bought years ago and wanted to get the rest entire series on Steam since it was on sale and I wanted to play offline. I think it was igazor who told me that I couldn't mix and match. If I wanted to buy and play via Steam, I'd have to buy it all on Steam. And that's just what I did. Got all of it on sale. I think at the time it cost me around $150 or so for all of it. I guess I'm behind the times as I didn't know of the Steam changes with TS. I guess I'll need to read up to see what's going on.

• SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    ehl451 wrote: »
    @Nikkei_Simmer, the Monte Vista disc doesn't have the world file on it. People have had problems using the game launcher to download the world.

You need to register your world code on the TS3 Store site and then go to your purchase history to download your file.

@ehl451 - Yes, the world file is indeed on the disc in the Packs folder, at least it is on mine, but for some unknown reason it's not possible to install it directly from the disc, you have to do it via the Store site like you say.

Maybe it was originally intended as a direct-from-disc-install, but later changed to Store-download-only somewhere along the line, I have no idea.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,919 Member
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    I have all my store content saved in a folder on my computer, and on a backup drive, so I never have to download it again.

I've got it all saved in multiple places but always seem to end up downloading it again. Not always but it happens too often. I don't know why I do it because I can easily find it all. Maybe I just want to be sure I have it all.
    @Rhiannon58

I decided to go the disc route because I will never trust being able to play 3 after Origin/Win 10 updates in the future so my idea was to use the discs on a seperate hard drive that never touches the internet and so far so good but as said earlier it was a pain re-downloading the whole store via my pre 2012 disc. I have not updated my drivers on 7 either and it does not appear to be a problem with game graphics so i am not going to fiddle with something when it's not currently broken and playing perfectly well lol

I also own steam versions of the game (bought in sales over the years) just as an extreme backup if I had no other choice but have never played on steam however I am niffed to read recently that they may be updating the steam version of 3 which I hope does not also mean the 1.69 patch as I believe many players jumped ship from origin to steam because of that.

I also downloaded all my store worlds using my disc base game disc and have them all available to play so no problems there either.

I save everything now as Disc game version or digital version so I know what works where-)

@Karritz

You remind me of myself when i will be looking for something in game and think OMG I bet I did not download that from the store so I do it all over again despite several backups for both disc and digital games as I don't want EA to be able to take even one item away of my precious content haha
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    I am niffed to read recently that they may be updating the steam version of 3 which I hope does not also mean the 1.69 patch as I believe many players jumped ship from origin to steam because of that.

You are the second or third person here who has mentioned TS3 steam version being updated. I can't find anything on this. Where did you read this info?
    Hi @Rhiannon58

I am sure the info was on a thread somewhere on this forum and at first i thought it was just speculation then other players started to post info which sounded like it might be happening as steam could be doing a deal with EA to sell S4 for the first time and of course I wondered if that would entail steam upgrading to the 1.69 patch for S3 as opposed to the 1.67 which steam apparently promised to keep the game at when players jumped ship from origin to steam but to be honest i took little interest really because it will not affect my 3 disc game at all.

I will try and find the thread but cannot promise as I think i was on the 4 boards searching for something and got redirected when I read something that peaked my interest lol
  • Hal2003Hal2003 Posts: 27 Member
    There is preparations for Sims 4 to be released on Steam, The Sims franchise was made and there is now a lot of changes on Sims 3 base game and DLCs, like text changed and etd, but there is now big chance the game will be updated to 1.69.
    @Hal2003

reading what you have just written I am so glad I went to the disc game version of the 3 game as I cannot see them being able to disrupt that on a hard drive that never goes on the internet lol but I feel really sorry for other players that might once again suffer from that dreaded patch upgrade for whatever reason whether it makes sense or not to other players who never experienced an issue with that..
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    @Hal2003

reading what you have just written I am so glad I went to the disc game version of the 3 game as I cannot see them being able to disrupt that on a hard drive that never goes on the internet lol but I feel really sorry for other players that might once again suffer from that dreaded patch upgrade for whatever reason whether it makes sense or not to other players who never experienced an issue with that..

I am too! :smiley: Thank God, Heavens and Everything Else for TS3 pre sept. 2012 installation discs! :smiley:<3:smiley:

Yeah, if this is going to happen I think the players who switched to TS3 via Steam just to get away from Origin and patch 1.69 (and thereby having to buy everything one more time!) will be very disappointed. :disappointed: