Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[EA Account] Turn on Login Verification & get a free month of Origin Access in November

Comments

• EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey, good questions! If you already have an active subscription, no matter if you have a yearly or monthly one, you will get a free month. You can always check the status of your subscription here: https://myaccount.ea.com/cp-ui/subscription/index

We will share more details on how it will work closer to November :)
  • xKyuxKyu Posts: 1 New Member
    > @EA_Mai said:
    > Hey, good questions! If you already have an active subscription, no matter if you have a yearly or monthly one, you will get a free month. You can always check the status of your subscription here: https://myaccount.ea.com/cp-ui/subscription/index
    >
    > We will share more details on how it will work closer to November :)

Hello. Can you please tell me what happens if I already have a Premier Subscription of Origin Access and it expires exactly in November. Will I also get a free month? So I can Re-activate the subscription again in December?
  • StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member

Nope, no, and no way. It's not worth it, You can lose that number or code, bye-bye to your Sims games? Origin does not cost that much what 5 dollars per month And the first month is always free, so what are you getting, nothing. Just now instead of you making up your own password, they send you one as well. Then you must enter both. some people are forgetful like me, I love security but I rather make up my own codes and passwords. If they want me to have 2 passwords ok but allow me to make up both.
    Origin is always free for first month just pay for it if you like it it's cheap. retain rights to my passwords, not them sending me one. That was the main thing. But if you do not have it do poof goes your account?

Why do they treat this game like it's your bank account, Why do we need all that to play Our Sims games? What about your family that plays, in the same house. This makes me feel like it would be just to easy for them to take away my game, over a code that I did write down but lost it of course as usual. I can see them next with us only being able to sign in with our fingerprints, and those do not always work and never work with hand lotions or body oils. nay, nix, never, I think not.

Go ahead and ask them, will you lose your Sims account if you lose the code they gave you? Also, can we renege on using the EA generated code after receiving one and using it?

They could instead make a sign in that do not use save passwords, I mean you must sign in with your own password every time. That way if someone logs into your computer they still can not play your Sims because no password is saved ever, and neither can the computer save one for their sign-in. more secure and less trouble for us.
    I could be wrong after saying all this, I hope so. Tell me I am wrong, tell me that EA would never take my account just because I forgot the second password that they generated for me?
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    @Stormsview You can turn the login verification off at any point in your settings.

Also, it's not a second password that you have to use every time you log in.
    On devices listed as "trusted" you only need your usual login/password combination. This is for devices you haven't used before, so if you get a new PC, you get an email sent to you to verify that it is you.

The only time the backup codes come into play is if you don't have access to the phone or email that you chose as your verification method. That's when you'll need to use one of those codes that you should save somewhere (ideally multiple places).
  • Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    I did this but I really need to know if the free month automatically renews after or not. I don't want to end up paying for a second month by mistake if I don't want to continue the subscription.
  • orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    How does this work?
    I did this but I really need to know if the free month automatically renews after or not. I don't want to end up paying for a second month by mistake if I don't want to continue the subscription.

Make sure you cancel early enough. I think it is easy to cancel, normally like if you sign up and get a free trial. But this thing with wanting you to accept the extra EA generated password or code that you must not ever lose or forget. I do not like the sound of losing my Sims account over an EA generated password when I could get a free month just for signing up for Origin, and yes if you do not cancel early enough you will be charged for a new month normally, I do not know if they plan just to stop your subscription I doubt it. When a company has your credit card and the hour strikes midnight and its end of your month I am sure they will take out for the new month, mostly, better to ask EA directly.
    I would like to know are these EA generated code Encrypted, can their employes see your code? Sometimes employes leave.

What worries me is that I think we will lose our Sims account if you do not have the code. What are our options if we do lose the EA generated code? and I am happy we do not have to use one if we do not wish to. There are other ways to prove the account is yours like you can prove it by sending in recipes of games you bought from them or others. your list of games. and maybe even more secret questions, maybe secret questions that you make up and not the same old ones with encrypted answers. So that your accounts can not be stolen or sold.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
  • CheekyimpCheekyimp Posts: 124 Member
    edited October 2019
    Stormsview wrote: »
    I would like to know are these EA generated code Encrypted, can their employes see your code? Sometimes employes leave.

I already have this feature turned on after some guy in Russia got in to my account and was playing Fifa and doing bad things I was getting warnings for, sigh, so any way I've had this for a while. Its not a single time generated password that you can lose, every time the system wants to verify my logins (most of the time I don't get asked but every so often it wants to check I am who I say I am), I get the option of it sending me a one time use numerical code to either my mobile or email address, I get an instant message with my code, and input that and its done, its not like another password you have to keep track of, its literally sent to you there and then. And in any case, when the Russian got in to my account it was easy to reassert my control using the EA live chat, they were very helpful and I haven't had an issue since.
  • LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member

If you haven't put your card details in (which you don't have to do to sign up for verification) they literally cannot charge you for a renewal.
    @Stormsview
    Where do you get a free month of Access on sign-up with Origin? The only things I've seen were temporary 7-day trials and this month-long one that's running now.

Also, as I and CheekyImp explained, it's not one code you need to keep at all times & not lose.
    If you log in from a *new device* to some parts of the site (like your account settings page), you get an email or text with a one-time code to use right there and then to confirm that it's you.
    Only in case that you lose access to the phone or email (or an app that does the verification) that you need the *backup codes* which you can write down or save somewhere. In case you lose those too, you can still contact the Origin chat/help to restore your account.

@orkhid22: You choose a contact to get verification codes on - your phone, your email, app verificator - and when you sign up from an unrecognized device or browser, you get a one-time code to that contact to confirm that it's you.
    @Stormsview
    Where do you get a free month of Access on sign-up with Origin? The only things I've seen were temporary 7-day trials and this month-long one that's running now.

Also, as I and CheekyImp explained, it's not one code you need to keep at all times & not lose.
    If you log in from a *new device* to some parts of the site (like your account settings page), you get an email or text with a one-time code to use right there and then to confirm that it's you.
    Only in case that you lose access to the phone or email (or an app that does the verification) that you need the *backup codes* which you can write down or save somewhere. In case you lose those too, you can still contact the Origin chat/help to restore your account.

@orkhid22: You choose a contact to get verification codes on - your phone, your email, app verificator - and when you sign up from an unrecognized device or browser, you get a one-time code to that contact to confirm that it's you.

darrenfroggy; Look at what you wrote You said a
    month-long trial thats running now,
    Just like when I joined it was a month-long trial. Maybe they moved it a while before the new offer, but I mostly see a month-long. Who wants to pay to try something, most people will not pay to check out and offer like that. That is why we are offered trials for signing up and if we go into that next month or day free time is up they already have your credit card or a way to charge you and they will fast. To cancel Origin access is easy, I have seen some sites make you write them a letter first that has to reach them before your time is up, so at lease for Origin cancel is easy just a click.

Basic is very cheap, I think everyone that loves games should have it. The reason I canceled was that I could not find the games to play, only the ones for sale
    How much is Origin Access Basic?
    An Origin Access Basic membership is just $4.99 a month. Or you can save even more by signing up for a full year for $29.99 - a membership pays for itself if you buy even one game with your 10% discount!

How much is Origin Access Premier?
    An Origin Access Premier membership is available for $14.99 a month or $99.99 a year – you also get the 10% discount!

Just ask EA if you have questions. I buy other games from Origin, not just Sims.

I think if you are unfortunate that something happen and you lose both your computer and phone so you do not have access to your email, and Now you have a new computer you know your password, but can not log in, and you do not have access to your email, its good that they make other ways to get your account back. I just do not want them to give me a code that I lose and now no effort to help restore my account. Now if you think about it, would you not contact Origin to let them know you lost your computer and do not have access to your email. so let them know.

Some games have it so that it is impossible to save your password, so every time you log in you must put in your password, also your computer can not save it for you. I think thats a good way to go. the more you type in your password the better you remember it.
    @Stormsview The current month-long "trial" for new people: what I meant was the free month dependent on turning on login verification.
    I have never seen a free month trial for Access, whether Basic or Premium. There was a seven day trial earlier this year but not a full month.

You keep ignoring the fact that it's not one code you need to use every time. You get sent a code the moment you're logging in, type it in and it's done. Next time you're logging in and need to verify your login, it's a NEW CODE.
    In the absolutely rare unfortunate case that you cannot access the email or phone you chose to verify your account, you do still have the backup codes (which is why I suggested to save those in a separate place, in a cloud account or on paper). And even if you lose those, you can still contact Origin to restore access to your account.

This kind of verification is a good idea. Especially on Origin, people have had accounts hacked and taken over when they're using only a password. They were hacked by people from a different country, so it's nothing to do with whether your own computer does or doesn't save the password locally.

This isn't even about the price of Basic. It's about the safety of accounts.

Just to run it down again:

1. you're logging in from a new device or into your account settings
    2. Origin asks you to verify that it's you
    3. they send you an email or a text, depending on which method you chose, with a one-time code
    4. you check your email/texts and type in the code
    5. THE END

No code to keep after that, you can happily delete the email/text because the moment you use it, it's no longer valid.
    And again, if you absolutely get locked out, there is still the help chat you can contact to help you restore access to your account.
    edited October 2019
    @Stormsview The current month-long "trial" for new people: what I meant was the free month dependent on turning on login verification.
    I have never seen a free month trial for Access, whether Basic or Premium. There was a seven day trial earlier this year but not a full month.

You keep ignoring the fact that it's not one code you need to use every time. You get sent a code the moment you're logging in, type it in and it's done. Next time you're logging in and need to verify your login, it's a NEW CODE.
    In the absolutely rare unfortunate case that you cannot access the email or phone you chose to verify your account, you do still have the backup codes (which is why I suggested to save those in a separate place, in a cloud account or on paper). And even if you lose those, you can still contact Origin to restore access to your account.

This kind of verification is a good idea. Especially on Origin, people have had accounts hacked and taken over when they're using only a password. They were hacked by people from a different country, so it's nothing to do with whether your own computer does or doesn't save the password locally.

This isn't even about the price of Basic. It's about the safety of accounts.

Just to run it down again:

1. you're logging in from a new device or into your account settings
    2. Origin asks you to verify that it's you
    3. they send you an email or a text, depending on which method you chose, with a one-time code
    4. you check your email/texts and type in the code
    5. THE END

No code to keep after that, you can happily delete the email/text because the moment you use it, it's no longer valid.
    And again, if you absolutely get locked out, there is still the help chat you can contact to help you restore access to your account.

Well, # 5 could have been what you said about the code we should save in a few different places, remember? then # 6 could have been the end.
    This thread is about both, login verification, and Free Origin access for November, that's the reason we are seeing comments on both.

Not trying to bug you, I just want to understand how do you see this its what I read?
    WHAT'S LOGIN VERIFICATION?
    We use a code, along with your password, to verify that it’s you when you log in to your EA Account. If you do not have both your password and your verification code, you can’t log in.
    This is what I read from Origin or EA, this is not from me. from the first page of this thread.From

I would like Origin Basic just to play Sims 3. I only hope we can stay logged in on our computer and not have to use both passwords and code each time. maybe I am just lazy.
    Post edited by Stormsview on
    @Stormsview
    That request for the verification doesn’t happen every time you log in. It happens when Origin feels they need to verify that it really is you. So if you log on from a new device or when you’re logging in to your account preferences on the EA website. (Where you change your contact details, indeed set up the login verification, your payment methods etc)
    And then you get the one time email or text with the needed code.

The big important detail is that this happens WHEN they choose to confirm it’s you, because you’re on a new device. Not every single time you log in to Origin.

The step 5 and 6 are ONLY needed if you lose access to your email or phone & are unable to verify yourself. What I outlined is the process that normally happens. Not a rare exception.

And no, you won’t have to use anything other than your usual login details when you’re on your own computer.
  • LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    That request for the verification doesn’t happen every time you log in.

And no, you won’t have to use anything other than your usual login details when you’re on your own computer.

I DO have to use more than the usual log in details. I have to actually use the verification code EVERY time I log into this forum to post, :( even though I am on my own PC. :#
    Thank goodness Origin (game manager) doesn't make me do that every time I open it (I'd go nuts). Perhaps it's all the ad blockers I use ? ,
    (because without them, I can't get through news sites, msn, tumblr, cc sites, mediafire, etc, without wanting to put my head through the desk. The amount of potential infections from sites and ads is astounding. Even when using premium PC security software, you have to be so careful these days).
    LatteCrab wrote: »
    That request for the verification doesn’t happen every time you log in.

I DO have to use more than the usual log in details. I have to actually use the verification code EVERY time I log into this forum to post, :( even though I am on my own PC. :#
    Thank goodness Origin (game manager) doesn't make me do that every time I open it (I'd go nuts). Perhaps it's all the ad blockers I use ? ,
    (because without them, I can't get through news sites, msn, tumblr, cc sites, mediafire, etc, without wanting to put my head through the desk. The amount of potential infections from sites and ads is astounding. Even when using premium PC security software, you have to be so careful these days).

Huh, that's odd. Do you block third party cookies in your browser? Just wondering because that was why I couldn't log into the web gallery in the past.

I've not once had to verify myself on here, the only times I did was when I was buying a pack on the Origin website and when I went into my account preferences (where my payment and login details are stored).
    And I use adblockers and a VPN to go online.
    edited October 2019
    AriaMad2 wrote: »
    Hey, so quick question; at the end of the free month, will the subscription cancel itself automatically or will I have to cancel it manually?
    I've seen this question repeated a few times:

If you are not subscribed to Origin Access, you don’t need to worry about canceling the subscription: we will add a free month of Origin Access Basic to your account if you are elegible, and once the free month is over, your subscription will expire automatically. Unless, of course, you decide to extend it by activating the monthly or yearly subscription on your account during that month.

If you have an active subscription on your account and you are elegible, we will add a free month and the subscription will remain active.
    xKyu wrote: »
    Hello. Can you please tell me what happens if I already have a Premier Subscription of Origin Access and it expires exactly in November. Will I also get a free month? So I can Re-activate the subscription again in December?
    Mmmm, difficult to answer without knowing the details of your particular situation. If you are elegible, whether we apply a free month of Origin Access Basic or Premier to your account will depend on if your Origin Premier subscription is active or not when we check your account. But if the plan is keeping the subscription active, one thing to note is that you don't need to cancel the subscription to be elegible for the promotion. Hope that helps :)
    @Stormsview:
    WHAT'S LOGIN VERIFICATION?
    We use a code, along with your password, to verify that it’s you when you log in to your EA Account. If you do not have both your password and your verification code, you can’t log in.
    After you quoted this, I understand where the confusion is coming from, but @darrenfroggy is right (thanks for taking the time to explain it!), we don't expect you to remember a code. :) When you try to log in from a new or unrecognized device (or if you are trying to change your EA Account security settings), we send you a code right then, and that's the code we are asking for. Actually, you can only use each code once!
    When you set up Login Verification, we ask you to choose where you want to get our codes. We can send them by email, text, call or the app authenticator. You can set up more than one method and choose where to get the code each time - for example, I have both my email and phone number as options, so depending on if I'm on my computer or not when I'm logging in, I choose to get an email or a text.
    original?v=1.0&px=-1

When you set up Login Verification we also give you 6 backup codes - but these are not to be used regularly, just in case everything else fails and you don't have access to the code we are trying to send you. A backup plan ;)

@cody6268 - are you checking the 'Remember me' box when you log in? If not, give it a try :)
    edited October 2019
    Now adding 6 backup codes, :s I just think all that is a bit too much, I understand what darrenfroggy is saying, he said it was a code you need to save in preferably 3 places, What I did not know was about them giving us 6 codes to save. To me, they are going too far, So if you lost your email and phone if you do the Login Verification thing you must have these 6 codes. or you may lose your account, or you can do nothing and everything stays as it is, and if you get a new computer all you have to do is put in your password and you're in. having 6 codes is worst then having one, this is the reason they are giving us a free month of Origin access this is a bother. And it seems not to be protecting anyone but them from us sharing. I do not want to lose my Sims account if I do not have the codes that they made up, because I only remember passwords that I makeup, that's why they want you to write them down everyplace like your bedroom wall, your bathroom mirror, on your coffee cup, on your car door or your kids forehead. The only thing I like about all this is I think you can say no and go back to your old way.
    You guys need to understand I do understand I just do not like it.

I just switch computers, and no I do not have on Login Verification, so I just logged in as normal. Origin already knows my email address, and they send me lots of emails, and Origin knows where I am all the time. I will not share my game because I just won't, that free month will be over in 30 days, the thing is if we start losing our accounts and have done nothing wrong but lost codes generated by them, that's wrong and unfair. We paid hundreds of dollars for our Sims game and I do not want to lose it over their codes, we should be allowed to make our own. All this is getting just as annoying as not fixing what's broken in our Sims 4 game.

It should be other ways, like your method of payment, secret questions, When big companies, big game companies take your game no one ever knows, and the companies never care, it will be our loss and if we want it again, well we will have to rebuy.

I understand that you never get something for nothing, so if you are getting a free month, what are you giving up.

And I am not against Log in Verification, I think that's a good idea, What I am against is Those 6 EA generated codes being the end-all. When people pay out this much money you owe them their game.
    @Stormsview
    I do understand your concern. However, those 6 codes are really only for use as an absolute emergency backup when you can't access your usual verification method (email, secondary email, phone, etc). And you only need to use ONE of those codes in that case, not all six.
    As long as you don't lose access to your email (or phone, depending on the verification method you choose), you will never need to use those codes. Ever. Even if you get a new computer. Even if you move countries. All you need is check your email (or phone) when you're requested to verify that it's you.

This is the same system that Google uses to verify it's you when you're logging in from a browser you didn't use before, or a new phone. The same system Apple uses to verify it's you logging in when you're activating a new device. The system banks use to confirm payments via online banking. It's a system that confirms it's you through a contact method YOU registered and have access to.
    So that no one can get your login details and get into your account to play games you paid for or purchase games for someone else. Because they could guess or hack your username and password but won't be able to access your phone or email.

The problem with the verification methods you're mentioning is that those can be hacked. The majority of companies are moving away (or already have a long time ago) from security questions because they really are not secure. Asking for payment methods is also not a secure method.
    When people pay out this much money you owe them their game.
    It's not like Origin is saying "activate this or else you'll be locked out of your account". This is strictly voluntary and you can easily choose to NOT turn on the verification.

As a final note, in the extreme case that you have verification on, lose access to your emails or phone, lose the backup codes: you can still contact EA help to regain access to your account.
    @Stormsview
    I do understand your concern. However, those 6 codes are really only for use as an absolute emergency backup when you can't access your usual verification method (email, secondary email, phone, etc). And you only need to use ONE of those codes in that case, not all six.
    As long as you don't lose access to your email (or phone, depending on the verification method you choose), you will never need to use those codes. Ever. Even if you get a new computer. Even if you move countries. All you need is check your email (or phone) when you're requested to verify that it's you.

This is the same system that Google uses to verify it's you when you're logging in from a browser you didn't use before, or a new phone. The same system Apple uses to verify it's you logging in when you're activating a new device. The system banks use to confirm payments via online banking. It's a system that confirms it's you through a contact method YOU registered and have access to.
    So that no one can get your login details and get into your account to play games you paid for or purchase games for someone else. Because they could guess or hack your username and password but won't be able to access your phone or email.

The problem with the verification methods you're mentioning is that those can be hacked. The majority of companies are moving away (or already have a long time ago) from security questions because they really are not secure. Asking for payment methods is also not a secure method.
    When people pay out this much money you owe them their game.
    It's not like Origin is saying "activate this or else you'll be locked out of your account". This is strictly voluntary and you can easily choose to NOT turn on the verification.

As a final note, in the extreme case that you have verification on, lose access to your emails or phone, lose the backup codes: you can still contact EA help to regain access to your account.

Yea, little people, and big business, yes try to convince me they care. Because I stopped. Not responding to employees that do not carry the proper ID. Whatever is attracting you to keep trying to explain yourself to me, I wish it would stop. my mind is already made up so you can talk for the next 30 days, it would not matter to me. End it, please. This one is on me I read what you say here. But not going pass this shut-off day, 10/30/2019.
    The only thing I tried to do was help as you had questions about how the verification works (and stated things that weren't true).

I'm not an EA employee, for what it's worth. I have no skin in the game. I'm also not explaining *myself*, just the verification system.
    edited October 2019
    Ok, I think we should focus again on the purpose of the thread:

A reminder for anyone interested in the promotion that October is coming to an end! ;)
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I'm really looking forward to try the origin access. It's not something I would have gotten otherwise. I already peeked and there's a nice list of games. The code verification system is the exact same as in Steam so nothing extraordinary there.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I've tried this thing many times over the past weeks, but I can't make it work...

On my site at https://myaccount.ea.com it says they sent me a verification code to a mail address that seems correct, but I receive no code... So what can I do? I don't find any other way to turn on the security feature, but with no code I can't do it.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg