Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Regret

A short time ago, I made an impulsive decision. I bought Vampires AND Realm of Magic. However, I'm already bored of Vampires, and I haven't even touched RoM.

In retrospect, I should've just been patient. Vampires is on sale now (I got it right before the sale started.) and I would've spent less money if I had just waited a few days, and I'd probably still be enjoying it rather than already being bored of it.

As for RoM, it wasn't a top priority of mine to get it, so I could've waited until DU's release in November and built a bundle with the two packs and a stuff pack I don't have.

I'm normally very frugal and I usually hate impulsive decisions, so idk what got into me, and now I feel scammed, even though it's my own fault, not EA's. I just feel pathetic knowing that there's no way for me to get that money back.

Comments

• Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Well, all you can do is live with it. I really regret getting Spooky Stuff, but I let it go eventually.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Yeah, if you're not into occults, I can easily see how you feel.

I haven't really touched Vampires since my test play-through after I got it either (though I love the Build-buy, and having NPC vampires in the family is kinda fun)

And Spellcasters, I've found, work better if magic is a hobby/secondary element as opposed to the primary story/gameplay. Which works fine for me, but can be disappointing for those who want to focus on magic.

Well, hopefully you at least find the Build/Buy elements useful.)
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited October 2019
    I think we’ve all felt buyer’s remorse after purchasing a game or DLC that we end up thinking wasn’t “worth it”. Especially with the high price of games these days. It goes with the territory, unfortunately.

I don’t think it’s possible to have a perfect decision-making track record in this regard.

I do wish there were more options for game demos or trials to help us decide before making such purchases.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I just buy all the packs with no regrets. :D
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited October 2019
    It's ok buyers remorse happens. Also pretty sure there will be better sales with Black Friday and Cyber Monday too. I do encourage Simmers to always wait for sales because Sims is far from being frugal game. I tend to have romances between multiple life states to make the gameplay more interesting. You might like spellcasters more than the vampires, but I don't know. Up to you to decide. Vampire pack is still fun to use the build mode objects on. You might be able to refresh your interest using the debug cheat too to see hidden objects with the Vampire pack.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Sharonia wrote: »

When I drop $79 CAD on a new release (or TS4 content back when I was still giving them money) and I’m not quite happy with it, I wonder if I should have saved that money to spend on my daughter or taking my wife out to dinner lol.
  • Options
    MinxMinx Posts: 1,221 Member
    I have a collect it all mentality, so in simply owning them all I am happy. That doesn't always work in my favor as fair as sometimes getting junk, but I have them all!
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    I really miss the game demos of the old days! I was able to spare myself a lot of grief and regrets by getting and trying them. While some were one and done or had a time limit, others were essentially mini-games that often satisfied the itch. Those were a grea way to separate the wheat from the chaff. At least we have various game reviewers and such to provide info, so we're not totally adrift, but nothing beats that hands on trial. To the OP's point, there are some packs am sorry I got.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I don't have vampires because I don't want them, and I don't have ROM because I only want it for build and buy so it's not worth full price to me that I'll eventually get it on sale probably.

It's been a long time since I've bought a pack and regretted it because most of them I love ... but if I could go back in time I would probably skip out on bowling night, spa day, and possibly City Life but I might have still got citylife in a bundle or on sale
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    edited October 2019
    Lol, simguru even commented on the first thread you make, doubt they’ll make an appearance here. Buyer beware, OP. Both packs have been out a while, Vampires especially long, should’ve done research.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I really miss the game demos of the old days! I was able to spare myself a lot of grief and regrets by getting and trying them. While some were one and done or had a time limit, others were essentially mini-games that often satisfied the itch. Those were a grea way to separate the wheat from the chaff. At least we have various game reviewers and such to provide info, so we're not totally adrift, but nothing beats that hands on trial. To the OP's point, there are some packs am sorry I got.
    That is why I like Steam a lot. They allow you to return their games if you don't like them during a period of time. Hopefully when Sims 4 moving to Steam there will be less buyers remorse. Just so many good business benefits porting Sims 4 to that gaming engine that Origin just doesn't allow.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Lol, simguru even commented on the first thread you make, doubt they’ll make an appearance here. Buyer beware, OP. Both packs have been out a while, Vampires especially long, should’ve done research.

While research and reviews can be helpful, they don’t guarantee one way or the other how I will respond to a game. I have loved games with mediocre reviews and hated games with great scores.

Simply invoking “let the buyer beware” is a dangerously convenient way of absolving the gaming industry of all its anti-consumer sins. Unlike most other products, games continue to be uniquely difficult to return for refunds. Customer satisfaction is rarely a consideration as a result.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Well, at least you got noticed. :D
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Research as in seeing videos of what comes in the pack. Reading something will definitely not help alone. If I see anything from videos that are interesting I just wonder is the price is worth it, and if it’ll have use in the long run. It’s how I decide on many questionable SPs.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Eh, I view it like other discretionary income. I don't regret drinking a nice coffee or going to a film. Ok, occasionally, I regret going to a film but I usually don't think, "Wow, I shouldn't have spent money on that ticket." I just try to only go to films I like unless I'm peer-pressured by a social request. Sure, I could avoid all of that type of spending but I don't.

Anyway, I haven't really regreted anything. I always check the content of a pack and then I've done some of the sales and bundles. StrangerVille was definitely something I just got in a bundle and then I actually liked it.

I think if I were in this position, I'd try to think of ways to be less bored so that I'd feel less regret.

I will say that part of my hesitancy to go onto Sims 5 anytime soon is that I think I should enjoy the content I have as much as possible. If I'm reasonably entertained and have a nice computer then I should play with what I have. I'm sure people feel like that with TS3 and that would be me if I hadn't changed my play style into a way that is more playable in TS4. I'm just saying that I don't judge that.

I do completely understand regretting missing a sale. If in doubt, maybe take a break and then find out from social media when the sale ads come.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    Sharonia wrote: »

When I drop $79 CAD on a new release (or TS4 content back when I was still giving them money) and I’m not quite happy with it, I wonder if I should have saved that money to spend on my daughter or taking my wife out to dinner lol.

I have to have all the packs just to know my collection is complete. There are packs that I don't really care for such as Get Famous but I still like to own it because it completes my game.
  • Options
    AmbyCakesAmbyCakes Posts: 32 Member
    Honestly all of us complain about packs we buy but until we all stop buying them maybe EA will listen to us. I know how you feel though D:
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I had to own all the packs in the past, too. But that need went away fairly quickly this time around. I grew tired of packs not feeling fleshed out or complete. Or adding more bugs that don't get fixed for months, or are left to be taken care of by modders. DU appeals to a lot of players, but I am not a fan. Do research into new packs before you buy. That's my motto. I forgot to pay attention to that when I preordered Island Living. I love the pack now but it borked my game for months until I found ways to fix it. And my game is running so well right now, there is no way I am going to update it or add another pack. That's the chance we take whenever an update or new pack comes along. For myself, it's no longer about what is in the update or new pack, but what will it do to my game. It'll take an update to romance, whims, and personalities before I take a chance like the one I took with Island Living. So I understand the feeling of regret you're feeling right now. With EA pushing packs out as quickly as they have been, it's best to wait until other players have had a chance to play new packs and give us the real scoop on how it performs before you buy it.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I'm a collector of Sims 4 content, and I know full well that not all of it will interest me. Just get over it, don't take it personal and don't cry over spilled milk. We can't blame it on anyone but ourselves that we choose to throw our money at EA's products ;)

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    I never regret buying any of it and I have all of it. I would like it if only for the new stuff. I bought everything in the hope that something some time would make me like this game. I can say, right now, I am loving it. Playing a save with a combo of vampires and spellcasters. I am happy that I finally don't hate sims 4.
  • Options
    PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    The amount of money this game costs when complete, on sale or not, is utterly ludicrous - especially considering the level of quality we're paying for.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Seeing as you said I'm not really into supernaturals in your first thread I'm not to surprised. I also tried Vampires with how great everyone said they were and found them to be so boring but at least Realm of Magic will never taint my game. For me vampires are not really the interesting part of vampires in television movies and clearly this game its the person who hunts them and the Vampire pack put no real effort giving us a way to play this story which is a huge part of vampire lore in a pack purely dedicated to vampires.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I regret buying pack as soon as I load the game. Every pack I get makes the game less fun and more like a chore with all the annoying additions they bring.
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    So_Money wrote: »

While research and reviews can be helpful, they don’t guarantee one way or the other how I will respond to a game. I have loved games with mediocre reviews and hated games with great scores.

Simply invoking “let the buyer beware” is a dangerously convenient way of absolving the gaming industry of all its anti-consumer sins. Unlike most other products, games continue to be uniquely difficult to return for refunds. Customer satisfaction is rarely a consideration as a result.

I agree with this. A lot of people said that Vampires was their favorite game pack, but mine is still Parenthood. (Big difference in content there!) In contrast, My First Pet Stuff is known as the worst pack in the whole game, but it’s actually my favorite stuff pack!
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I don't know, it's you who said if Ninja noticed you then you would in turn would buy a pack. You got what you paid for.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.