Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will open world ever return to the Sims

Hey there,

Like many simmers, what I liked most about the Sims 3 was the open world and that’s what really put me off the Sims 4 at first. Closed worlds make it impossible de control the whereabouts of your household and I really don’t like it. I like to multi manage all my family at once and the fact that there is no continuity in the storyline when you leave a lot really rubs my feathers in the wrong sense.

Like many simmers, I was hoping open world might make a return in the Sims 5. But apparently, the devs have stated in the past that open world would never return to the franchise because it’s too buggy?

Is this true?

Because I refuse to believe that in 2019/2020, experienced devs can’t make an open world in a life simulation work correctly and if open world never comes back as a feature, then it’ll be huge flag for me.

Have you heard about that too?

Comments

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I don’t think it will come back. They had trouble optimising an open world among other things and the game wasn’t playable for many. Would I want it too? Absolutely. Do I think it will happen? Most likely not.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    From what I have heard from the simgurus they have stated that open world will never return to the sims4, I'm not sure they have said anything about open world for a potential sequel.

I think the sims5 will have open world if they will find a way to make it work with a lot of sims at once, that would be the huge challenge since a lot of open world games exist already (GTA, Assassins Creed, Ghost Recon etc.) but they are only with one player character.
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    For The Sims 4: No. They told us multiple times the engine isn't made to support open world/hoods.

For The Sims 5 however: I hope so. Or at least open neighborhoods. It doesn't make sense to go through a loadingscreen when you want to visit your neighbor/lot in the same loaded neighborhood.
  • Options
    JerrelloJerrello Posts: 896 Member
    I lowkey hope they don’t because if I’m being honest, loading a different area allows for more sims being in the area making the place feel more lively. I don’t want an open world if I go to an empty nightclub with 3 Sims if I’m lucky. An open world with moderate/high sim traffic probably wouldn’t fare well unless you have a high performance gaming pc. The graphics demand should be higher but I would prefer a semi open world where you don’t have to load to visit a neighbor, etc, but more lots with heavier traffic.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Seeing how Sims 3 went I doubt open world will ever return clearly that was a issue for many. I kind of like how Sims 4 has neighborhoods and wonder if something like that would work better with a 10 lot open neighborhood it would be less to load and you could still visit your neighbors, trick or treat at neighbors houses drive around and smaller neighborhoods would have more Sims to fill the world compared to a full world where they are all spread out.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I hope so.

I wouldn't mind if they allowed us to access an entire, large neighborhood and all lots within it at once, so long as switching between them takes less than 5 seconds tops. The way it is now is just too annoying to deal with. I'd rather just load up TS2 and deal with the loading screens for a better experience.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    If it does not come back then neither will the players who abandoned TS4 due to the lack of Open World
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited October 2019
    logion wrote: »
    since a lot of open world games exist already (GTA, Assassins Creed, Ghost Recon etc.) but they are only with one player character.

I just want to point out that it's not quite the same thing to execute open world in those sorts of games as it is in a game like The Sims, because of how these games prioritize GPU and CPU usage. The Sims already being a CPU intensive game by nature, begins to struggle much more when you add an open world to it.

That's not to say it isn't possible (because obviously, it has been done before with TS3, whether it was done successfully or not I can't comment on but seems to be a topic of much debate,) just pointing out that this argument of like.. "well GTA and Skyrim have open worlds!" doesn't really mean anything to this series.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Nope!
  • Options
    doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    It for The Sims 4 the engine won’t allow it Remember The Sims 4 was made in a time when EA was pushing multiplayer only games then just before release EA were like The Sims 4 will be a single player game so they tryed to get in an open world but the lode time was half an hour you can see what they want to do in a few worlds but for a total open world you will have to hold on for The Sims 5 that I feel is on it’s way we have just seen the first hint in game EA will deny it but it’s coming and I think it’s coming sooner than you may think.
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited October 2019
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Seeing how Sims 3 went I doubt open world will ever return clearly that was a issue for many. I kind of like how Sims 4 has neighborhoods and wonder if something like that would work better with a 10 lot open neighborhood it would be less to load and you could still visit your neighbors, trick or treat at neighbors houses drive around and smaller neighborhoods would have more Sims to fill the world compared to a full world where they are all spread out.

Yeah that would probably be the best of both worlds. I just hope that full simulation of every sim returns. It was always really immersive seeing other Sims doing their things (i.e. leaving for work, coming home, gardening, kids playing in the backyards etc). I hate the (inactive) lots are all dead and Sims are only walking around the street doing nothing.

And if people do not want full simulation of all Sims, they should make an option to just turn that off. (but we know EA and options..).
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    since a lot of open world games exist already (GTA, Assassins Creed, Ghost Recon etc.) but they are only with one player character.

I just want to point out that it's not quite the same thing to execute open world in those sorts of games as it is in a game like The Sims, because of how these games prioritize GPU and CPU usage. The Sims already being a CPU intensive game by nature, begins to struggle much more when you add an open world to it.

That's not to say it isn't possible (because obviously, it has been done before with TS3, whether it was done successfully or not I can't comment on but seems to be a topic of much debate,) just pointing out that this argument of like.. "well GTA and Skyrim have open worlds!" doesn't really mean anything to this series.

Yes, from what I understand other games like GTA, Skyrim etc, they only render what the player character sees... (kind of like a bubble) and loads everything around the player character, that's how they keep the GPU and CPU usage lower. So a sims game would need to create a bubble that follows the player, like loading a neighbourhood or something similar while having the rest of the open world in the background but low detail and not many sims or other objects around.
  • Options
    doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    w
    Cupid wrote: »

Yes, from what I understand other games like GTA, Skyrim etc, they only render what the player character sees... (kind of like a bubble) and loads everything around the player character, that's how they keep the GPU and CPU usage lower. So a sims game would need to create a bubble that follows the player, like loading a neighbourhood or something similar while having the rest of the open world in the background but low detail and not many sims or other objects around.

culd you not programe a random prgession sytem so inacive sism still randomly have kids (if the population is getting a bit low) and age and stuff in the bacground withoud being renderd can't be to hard to program
  • Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    Jerrello wrote: »
    I lowkey hope they don’t because if I’m being honest, loading a different area allows for more sims being in the area making the place feel more lively. I don’t want an open world if I go to an empty nightclub with 3 Sims if I’m lucky. An open world with moderate/high sim traffic probably wouldn’t fare well unless you have a high performance gaming pc. The graphics demand should be higher but I would prefer a semi open world where you don’t have to load to visit a neighbor, etc, but more lots with heavier traffic.

Pretty much this. I want the community lots/parks/nightclubs I visit to be populated. A lot. This is why I'd rather suffer a loading screen than to visit empty deserted community lots.
  • Options
    CABALCABAL Posts: 56 Member
    edited October 2019
    The better question is, will they ever dedicate enough time to fix majority of the bugs, something what they didn't do in TS3. Especially if we speak of game/expansion packs.
  • Options
    PrisinkiaPrisinkia Posts: 21 Member
    [quote="CABAL;c-17293439"]The better question is, will they ever dedicate enough time to fix majority of the bugs, something what they didn't do in TS3. Especially if we speak of game/expansion packs.[/quote]

Preach!
  • Options
    GguyGguy Posts: 254 Member
    edited October 2019
    The Sims 4 added some nice features like an improved CAS, emotional states and some building upgrades, but the Sims 3 still remains my favorite entry in the series:

-You could go anywhere you wanted with little to no restrictions

-You could design the entire neighborhood from scratch, placing lots wherever you wanted and building them all into whatever style you had imagined for your town. On top of that, if you were feeling extra creative, you even had the create a world tool for further customization. The possibilities were endless.

-The create a style tool was awesome cause it allowed you to retexture any item, object or clothing piece, further allowing you to customize your worlds.

-The game had sliders for each life state, so you could manually adjust how long each lasted.

-The world had story progression, meaning that the world around you felt alive and was ever changing. The entire town didn't just die off as you were busy focusing on your households.

I doubt the Sims 4 will ever go open world given the design of the game, but if there's ever to be a sequel, it might just be the deciding factor on whether i buy it or not.

Don't get me wrong, I had a good time with the Sims 4, still am having a good time, but it's nowhere near as fun as the Sims 3 was back in the day and i'm awfully sad about that. It's like putting a Lion inside a cage and then treating him like a pet, brushing his hair and feeding him. He might enjoy it a bit at first, but sooner or later he's gonna start feeling trapped and hopeless.
    Post edited by Gguy on
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Open world or at least open neighbourhoods will still be a possibility because they've left clues that are the flying brooms & riding bicycles.
  • Options
    GguyGguy Posts: 254 Member
    edited October 2019
    Yeah, but having a small neighborhood to walk around and having a open world where you can interact with almost everything is a huge difference.
    Post edited by Gguy on
  • Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    I played Sims 3 on a regular laptop for years and never had any problems with the open world except Island Paradise which was unplayable and is still unplayable on my gaming desktop. In sims 4 the neighborhoods, are small so it would only be like six lots max instead of the dozen plus Sims 3 had. Doubt we will ever get it and it makes no sense.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    My computer bailed and when I reloaded the games and store right before Supernatural Sims3 came out, I decided no cc. I had been getting some on the Sims3 exchange and they made lines in my game when toddlers or infants were present. So, I went vanilla and basically didn't have problems other simmers had. Open world may have caused problems, but I think adding extras to the Sims3 game caused up to 90% of the problems. I say this because that was the proof I saw in my own game when cc wasn't in it. So, not totally sure open world was the total problem. Probably extras and nongaming computers were most of the problem. My Asus computer is a powerhouse. I loved open world. A loading screen when you go next door takes the realism out. Rabbit holes weren't great either and I like the new Sims4 open careers. Like one simmer said, I like to micromanage all my Sims. Going off lot and the rest of the house does nothing or things you don't like is horrible. Toddlers get out of highchairs and Sims are bent on taking them out, which I hate. Maybe I want them in there for punishment. Because of things like this and closed worlds, I don't feel in control of the Sims4. In Sims3, I was in near total control and a huge part of that was open world. As far as I am concerned, there's no reason to go on to Sims5 if there's no open world. Just more of the same and buying basically the same content again that we already have. I would rather max out Sims4 for many years to come, like they have already said. If they were to add stuff from the other games and so much more, then Sims4 should run 7 years or so. If there's no personalization and open world, then there's no use rebuying stuff we already have.
  • Options
    Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited November 2019
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Open world or at least open neighbourhoods will still be a possibility because they've left clues that are the flying brooms & riding bicycles.

I doubt that those are "open world clues." The Sims 2 had cars, and it was far less of an open world than the Sims 4 is likely to ever be. Your sims couldn't even explore the world between the lots in that game. From what I understand, you also couldn't visit other households in the Sims 2, much like the Sims 1. Also, even if they could remove the loading screens between lots, and do so without causing serious problems, they wouldn't be able to get rid of the loading screens between the different neighborhoods, even the ones that are part of the same world. I suspect that the Sims 4 would run even worse as an open world game than the Sims 3, since unlike the Sims 3, they never even attempted to optimize the Sims 4 for that.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Those aren't clues for an open world. Sims could always leave their house and jog/walk all around their neighborhood. The same with brooms or bikes. You still hit a loading screen if you go to another house in your neighborhood or another neighborhood entirely.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    If it does not come back then neither will the players who abandoned TS4 due to the lack of Open World

I’m sure Maxis/EA will be alright 🤷‍♀️
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    ChadSims2 wrote: »

Yeah that would probably be the best of both worlds. I just hope that full simulation of every sim returns. It was always really immersive seeing other Sims doing their things (i.e. leaving for work, coming home, gardening, kids playing in the backyards etc). I hate the (inactive) lots are all dead and Sims are only walking around the street doing nothing.

And if people do not want full simulation of all Sims, they should make an option to just turn that off. (but we know EA and options..).

This is something that started to bother me lately. Sims wandering around aimlessly on lots make it feel dead. They have no purpose in life and they don't do anything except try to chat all day. I have to keep canceling random chats.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(