Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Discover University - Items and Deductions from Initial and Game play Trailers!

Comments

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    @Dannydanbo Hm, good question about the part-time jobs.
    Assumption here: since teens can have those & earn their own money (well, technically, what with the whole household funds thing), one would think that university students would be able to do the same. Though there might be some shuffling around of schedules/making sure the jobs don't conflict with lectures and classes.
    But hopefully even if scholarships aren't a thing, the part-time jobs will be.

That said, I don't even know if we'll be getting uni fees. For all we know this is going to be free education (it is, after all, a thing in some countries, albeit not the US)

Yes, we don't know if there is a fee, but I was more concerned that if my sim in college got a PT job, could it be made to fit their schedule or can we fit our schedule around the job. They may not have done anything to either, so it might be pot luck as to whether a PT job will fit into our sims schedule.

@SimsStarfish I was thinking about them sharing a rental (if they exist in this version) but this begs the question, can you play two sims in college at the same time?

There is still my idea of creating a Greek house for a group of sims I create in CAS. Like one of those movies where unwanted students don't fit in anywhere but bond together and create their own house. Here, the twins could share a room, half UoB and half FI decorated.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Assumption here: since teens can have those & earn their own money (well, technically, what with the whole household funds thing), one would think that university students would be able to do the same. Though there might be some shuffling around of schedules/making sure the jobs don't conflict with lectures and classes.

That said, I don't even know if we'll be getting uni fees. For all we know this is going to be free education (it is, after all, a thing in some countries, albeit not the US)

Yes, we don't know if there is a fee, but I was more concerned that if my sim in college got a PT job, could it be made to fit their schedule or can we fit our schedule around the job. They may not have done anything to either, so it might be pot luck as to whether a PT job will fit into our sims schedule.

@SimsStarfish I was thinking about them sharing a rental (if they exist in this version) but this begs the question, can you play two sims in college at the same time?

There is still my idea of creating a Greek house for a group of sims I create in CAS. Like one of those movies where unwanted students don't fit in anywhere but bond together and create their own house. Here, the twins could share a room, half UoB and half FI decorated.

Some of the PT jobs are early enough in the mornings or at weekends, so they might still be doable (the barista one, I think, has a slot early in the mornings).

I'm also curious about the other part of your post & how 'households' will work with uni: will students be a standalone single-Sim household & you can only play one at a time & rotate to any other Sims, family or other students? I really hope that's not the case :/
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    Speaking of part time jobs Id love to see split bank accounts. I want to take sims from different households and make them roomies and I'd love it if they had split funds, especially if there are Uni fees.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    YardenroYardenro Posts: 376 Member
    I really hope they made it semi-difficult to get in university! as in, you have to have good grades, maybe even pass a test..and if your stupid and rich your parents can bribe the admission haha

-Yarden.
  • Options
    SimsStarfishSimsStarfish Posts: 147 Member

That's a good option if they can't stay in the same dorm!

I really hope you can have sims at different Universities in the same household living together, surely they thought about this....
  • Options
    doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    I can finaly make 'We Are the In Crowd' Era Tay Jardeen
  • Options
    JerrelloJerrello Posts: 896 Member
    edited October 2019
    I don't think that there are any ACTIVE careers. I think LAW, TEACHING and ENGINEERING will be good old fashioned rabbit holes, which is what I would prefer. All three of those would require so much additional stuff to be active (schools with classrooms, City Hall with courtrooms and offices for engineers) that they would need to be an EP unto themselves.

Then what's all this hype about a University Pack if don't actually want to go to class, or have active careers..party?. That makes absolutely no sense.

Post edited by Jerrello on
  • Options
    doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    I can see TEACHING being active we have the uni so what not
  • Options
    A thought I had was how University will blend with Seasons
    Say for example you have a holiday setup in your seasons calendar, are classes cancelled or moved?
    For kids/teens it is easy as they just miss a day of school but that is not like an individual class
    If you set up too many holidays will your sims fail?
  • Options
    Jerrello wrote: »
    I don't think that there are any ACTIVE careers. I think LAW, TEACHING and ENGINEERING will be good old fashioned rabbit holes, which is what I would prefer. All three of those would require so much additional stuff to be active (schools with classrooms, City Hall with courtrooms and offices for engineers) that they would need to be an EP unto themselves.

Then what's all this hype about a University Pack if don't actually want to go to class, or have active careers..party?. That makes absolutely no sense.

The university social life, so yes, the parties. But also the balancing of class work (projects, presentations), attending lectures (which still take time out of a Sim day), clubs and activities (robotics, debate, whatever else), socializing, skill building...
  • Options
    And how will they setup the credits and semester lengths again?

With Sims 3, because when you sims went to college it was its own world away from town, you could customize how many credits done over how many terms each time you went but for ALL the sims there.
    You needed like 48 credits but got some from the enrollment test so you could do the whole college degree in two weeks/terms if you wanted or you could have your sim travel back and then do the rest of the credits they needed over two sessions. The more credits your sim took on in the time they went to Uni the more classes they had.

BUT
    With TS4 Uni being an open world that you live off campus with
    You cant customize how long you want degrees to take for ALL sims as if you changed it later it would mess up the credits and classes for other sims who have already started their degrees.

So I a guessing each sim will be able to choose over how many semesters they want their degree to be and how many credits per term. Which is cool .
  • Options
    @Jerrello @doogerie Somewhere, we were told that the DISCOVER in the title meant discover who you (or your sim) is at Uni. Sitting in a classroom watching academic paint dry is not exciting at all. Why would you want to watch that for a few sim hours? As for the rabbit hole(?) careers, they won't matter until after college when your sim is out in the world.

If Uni has no active classes, how could teaching there be active?

The fun of discovery comes with all the things your sim can do outside of class. What decisions will shape their future? Will your sim learn to be a responsible adult or discover that slacking and sleeping in is the way of life for them.

Because everyone is so onboard with reusing programing for new things, because there are no active classes, I wish they had reused the SAGES programing to add roving Professors on and around campus. One could be the intellectual type that can be found in the library. One could be the type that likes to "hang" with the students in the local bar. And one could be found reading poetry under the big oak tree (or statue of a book) in the Quad. Your sim could ask for advise with a subject or beg for more time to complete an assignment or get juiced with your new pal. The sage protocol could have been reused in a fun way.

If I were part of the devs who discuss these things, I could have come up with a lot of ideas to add to this pack. Alas, another idea dies.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    @Jerrello @doogerie Somewhere, we were told that the DISCOVER in the title meant discover who you (or your sim) is at Uni. Sitting in a classroom watching academic paint dry is not exciting at all. Why would you want to watch that for a few sim hours? As for the rabbit hole(?) careers, they won't matter until after college when your sim is out in the world.

If Uni has no active classes, how could teaching there be active?

The fun of discovery comes with all the things your sim can do outside of class. What decisions will shape their future? Will your sim learn to be a responsible adult or discover that slacking and sleeping in is the way of life for them.

Because everyone is so onboard with reusing programing for new things, because there are no active classes, I wish they had reused the SAGES programing to add roving Professors on and around campus. One could be the intellectual type that can be found in the library. One could be the type that likes to "hang" with the students in the local bar. And one could be found reading poetry under the big oak tree (or statue of a book) in the Quad. Your sim could ask for advise with a subject or beg for more time to complete an assignment or get juiced with your new pal. The sage protocol could have been reused in a fun way.

If I were part of the devs who discuss these things, I could have come up with a lot of ideas to add to this pack. Alas, another idea dies.

Gosh I really LOVE the roaming teachers ideas it's genius. 🤭
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Am I the only person hoping that, upon seeing that the ping pong table "looks" as if it could fold up (note the wheels), that it is a possible new death? DEATH BY FOLDING PING PONG TABLE! aaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!

I know, I know, I have issues.
  • Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    I'm truly surprised so far in the effort they put in the bikes they even animated using the kick stand little details like that are important to me. Now they just need to confirm bikes are useable in all worlds I wont believe it till I see it to many let downs with this game with one world features.
    12JEREMIA wrote: »
    What about urinals? After toilet stalls are here, we need urinals for male restrooms
    Do our male Sims ever get anything? I would not hold my breath on that object.

SimGuruFrost basically confirmed Bikes being exclusive to this EP, so that also basically confirms that they are NOT usable in other worlds, and are only for Teens - Elders.

when?
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited October 2019
    orkhid22 wrote: »
    I'm truly surprised so far in the effort they put in the bikes they even animated using the kick stand little details like that are important to me. Now they just need to confirm bikes are useable in all worlds I wont believe it till I see it to many let downs with this game with one world features.
    What about urinals? After toilet stalls are here, we need urinals for male restrooms

SimGuruFrost basically confirmed Bikes being exclusive to this EP, so that also basically confirms that they are NOT usable in other worlds, and are only for Teens - Elders.

when?

He confirmed in a tweet that they are Uni exclusive, and based on EA's track record with The Sims 4, I ASSUME they aren't usable in other worlds. They can proof me wrong in the livestream.
  • Options
    @orkhid22 What Frost confirmed is that no bikes will be in the patch before Uni:

Nothing about where they'll be usable. While possible that they won't be usable elsewhere, at this point it's still just an assumption.
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member

when?

He confirmed in a tweet that they are Uni exclusive.

I take that more to mean they aren't being patched in for free. In other words, you'll have to buy the University expansion to have them in the game.
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited October 2019

when?

He confirmed in a tweet that they are Uni exclusive.

I take that more to mean they aren't being patched in for free. In other words, you'll have to buy the University expansion to have them in the game.

Then why are they so evasive about the question if they are usable in other worlds? Won't hurt to confirm to stop the speculating.

Same goes for if they are usable by kids or not.

But we will see. I don't trust EA after 5 years of lackluster content at best.
    Post edited by rudy8292 on
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Am I the only person hoping that, upon seeing that the ping pong table "looks" as if it could fold up (note the wheels), that it is a possible new death? DEATH BY FOLDING PING PONG TABLE! aaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!

I know, I know, I have issues.
    I noticed the wheels but only thought it was movable like the tables from OR...but it would be hilarious if they can die from it..as long as there’s not a huge chance of that happening
  • Options
    How do you guys think the inter-school debates will work with the debate clubs?
    Will the be the same time every week or can you challenge the rival school?
    Also, do you think that attending the debate, robotics and art clubs will count towards credits for all/some of the degrees?
    Or maybe they are just for fun?
  • Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member

when?

He confirmed in a tweet that they are Uni exclusive, and based on EA's track record with The Sims 4, I ASSUME they aren't usable in other worlds. They can proof me wrong in the livestream.

got it.
  • Options
    I thought this tweet to the gurus was interesting
    Someone asked if there will be buildable lots in the campuses or only shell buildings.\

The guru replied there will be a few buildable lots to build on , which could imply that some may not be editable.

The only examples of "shell buildings" I could think of was the acting studio you see on the map in get famous and the magic building in ROM.
    The other buildings like the hospital, scientists lab we don't actually see anywhere on the map so they are not shell buildings?

What would the shell buildings for University be?
    Would the Student Central Building be one of them and it functions like the magic town in ROM?
    When I saw the square park outdoor areas in front of Uni Buildings I thought they might function like City Living, where you have to visit one of the building around the festival/outdoor area to visit it.

Could the dorms be the other shell buildings?
    So you can only edit your dorm room and can see the common room?

What will the fully editable buildings be? The library? The bar?

• Options
    JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    I thought this tweet to the gurus was interesting
    Someone asked if there will be buildable lots in the campuses or only shell buildings.\

The guru replied there will be a few buildable lots to build on , which could imply that some may not be editable.

The only examples of "shell buildings" I could think of was the acting studio you see on the map in get famous and the magic building in ROM.
    The other buildings like the hospital, scientists lab we don't actually see anywhere on the map so they are not shell buildings?

What would the shell buildings for University be?
    Would the Student Central Building be one of them and it functions like the magic town in ROM?
    When I saw the square park outdoor areas in front of Uni Buildings I thought they might function like City Living, where you have to visit one of the building around the festival/outdoor area to visit it.

Could the dorms be the other shell buildings?
    So you can only edit your dorm room and can see the common room?

What will the fully editable buildings be? The library? The bar?

That tweet worries me. By a few, I'm guessing that means between 3-6 buildable lots. I think the university common areas/classroom/club rooms will be cheat-enabled build areas like the GTW careers, probably 1/2 of these areas for each university, 1/2 dorm buildings that are City Living style so not buildable and 1 buildable lot for each campus. Then the third town area with some actual off-campus housing and other community lots, this is where I think 3-4 buildable lots are. But the word 'few' doesn't sound like many which is what worries me :/. I hope I'm wrong though. This is my biggest worry about the pack, that lack of buildable lots.

• Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    MsTiquelle wrote: »
    That tweet worries me. By a few, I'm guessing that means between 3-6 buildable lots.

Funny that I understood "a few" as 2-3 :D will see, I guess...