Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has Anyone Else Started Seeing Pack Trailers Like Fast Food Adds?

1235...Next

Comments

• CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Yes. I did get that jaded "Fast Food Add" feeling.
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @SimTrippy Yes, I actually adressed that trailer on this page.
    ”Like, the Late Night trailer for Sims 3, for me they crossed a line. The nightclubs were a huge selling point for that one and the experience in the game (especially on a low end computer but also on a high end computer there’s never more than ten to twelve sims in there) is completely different than what they suggest. All I could think back then was: “Guys, you should have found a way to attract many sims to those places, ór you should have been a bit more honest in that trailer.” It annoyed me. And being annoyed by a marketing trick, that’s where I personally draw a line.”

The fact commercials lie isn’t an excuse. I’m sure everything shown in Sims 4 trailers is allowed, I can’t imagine they’re not carefully operating within the boundaries of what’s allowed legally. Doesn’t mean we can’t determine it happens. And to be honest, that Sims 3 trailer is a fine example of misinformation, but I also think it’s the only one from back then. The others I remember where quite accurate. It’s always this trailer and the Sims 2 one with the fan people use as an example how it always was like this, but I really think those two were exceptions.

I agree with what you are saying but I also don't think that those particular trailers meant to lie either. In the case of TS2 and the kids swinging from fans, I think it was meant to be in game but pulled at last minute, probably something to do with not encouraging kids and ratings. (Just a speculation, I actually have no idea, it's just a theory since that was the only TS2 trailer to show game play that wasn't there.) As for TS3, I honestly believe that they meant for more people to be in the night clubs too, and it actually might have worked on their machines but the reality is that it didn't work on most of ours. Just theories I have and my own thoughts but if you look back in the series those do seem to be the only 2 that stand out, and while it doesn't make it right, they do feel like more as mistakes, rather than as intended as is now. Now they blatantly false advertise with a small "game play footage might not appear" or what ever that quick little blurb said about it being not true. They are the only 2 (as you said) that people rush to for defending TS4's trailers, however, how many EP's and SP's did TS2 and TS3 combined all have vs now and it was done literally twice vs every time for now?! *hmm*
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2019
    Camkat wrote: »
    ”Like, the Late Night trailer for Sims 3, for me they crossed a line. The nightclubs were a huge selling point for that one and the experience in the game (especially on a low end computer but also on a high end computer there’s never more than ten to twelve sims in there) is completely different than what they suggest. All I could think back then was: “Guys, you should have found a way to attract many sims to those places, ór you should have been a bit more honest in that trailer.” It annoyed me. And being annoyed by a marketing trick, that’s where I personally draw a line.”

The fact commercials lie isn’t an excuse. I’m sure everything shown in Sims 4 trailers is allowed, I can’t imagine they’re not carefully operating within the boundaries of what’s allowed legally. Doesn’t mean we can’t determine it happens. And to be honest, that Sims 3 trailer is a fine example of misinformation, but I also think it’s the only one from back then. The others I remember where quite accurate. It’s always this trailer and the Sims 2 one with the fan people use as an example how it always was like this, but I really think those two were exceptions.

I agree with what you are saying but I also don't think that those particular trailers meant to lie either. In the case of TS2 and the kids swinging from fans, I think it was meant to be in game but pulled at last minute, probably something to do with not encouraging kids and ratings. (Just a speculation, I actually have no idea, it's just a theory since that was the only TS2 trailer to show game play that wasn't there.) As for TS3, I honestly believe that they meant for more people to be in the night clubs too, and it actually might have worked on their machines but the reality is that it didn't work on most of ours. Just theories I have and my own thoughts but if you look back in the series those do seem to be the only 2 that stand out, and while it doesn't make it right, they do feel like more as mistakes, rather than as intended as is now. Now they blatantly false advertise with a small "game play footage might not appear" or what ever that quick little blurb said about it being not true. They are the only 2 (as you said) that people rush to for defending TS4's trailers, however, how many EP's and SP's did TS2 and TS3 combined all have vs now and it was done literally twice vs every time for now?! *hmm*
    The Sims 2 trailer I can totally forgive. I believe it was sort of a general advert of the upcoming game, that would totally focus on familyplay (as opposed to its predecessor). That is the message that trailer tries to get across and people can say what they want, Sims 2 most definitely pulled that promise off big time, even when kids can’t swing around on ceiling fans in the actual game. As for Late Night though? I’m not so sure.... I can’t imagine they didn’t know filling those nightclubs with sims was a problem. On my current PC it’s kind of ok now (when I disable the gates that shut out every potential customer that is trying to enter), but never like what I see in that video. And the whole red carpet thing? I don’t remember it like that at all (but I must add it’s been nine years ever since I played an actress).
    5JZ57S6.png

The Sims 2 trailer I can totally forgive. I believe it was sort of a general advert of the upcoming game, that would totally focus on familyplay (as opposed to its predecessor). That is the message that trailer tries to get across and people can say what they want, Sims 2 most definitely pulled that promise off big time, even when kids can’t swing around on ceiling fans in the actual game. As for Late Night though? I’m not so sure.... I can’t imagine they didn’t know filling those nightclubs with sims was a problem. On my current PC it’s kind of ok now (when I disable the gates that shut out every potential customer that is trying to enter), but never like what I see in that video. And the whole red carpet thing? I don’t remember it like that at all (but I must add it’s been nine years ever since I played an actress).

Yeah, I never saw it like that either, I just thought I remembered some people saying that their clubs were actually full.

The red carpet bit... was not like that in my game. I did however have the annoying paparazzi at every turn and they were not as fun as that trailer made them look. :D

I know I was grasping at straws a little with these, but they just weren't as bad as they are now. All adverts lie a little, or maybe embellish is a better word. These 2 slight embellishments made once in each of the game's lifetime vs how TS4 is now... *shakes head* It's just not a good argument and they can't really be compared since those things (minus the swinging on fans) could be done in the game. I never felt like these one "lied" to me.

@Camkat No, I agree with you. Lol, the paparazzi... it was a fine day when I could finally disable celebrity (and paparazzi) ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
    @Camkat No, I agree with you. Lol, the paparazzi... it was a fine day when I could finally disable celebrity (and paparazzi) ;)

That actually never fully worked in my game. I ended up using the paparazzi as test subjects for spells or whatever I had going on... Those sims still showed up at my lots that weren't even celebrities so whatever happened to them, they had it coming. ;)
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    No. The trailer actually got me really excited.
    Sims 3 does have special table and chairs you can add to clubs that will call in more sims to those tables and chairs. I used get at least 12 sims to a club then activate each table and two more sims would come to the club or stages even and sit at those tables with the white circle around then. So yeah you could easily get 20 sims to a club but they often did not stay very long. I always had the original 12 that tended to stay and party. You could get them all club dancing - which is much like the group dances that Sims 4 does but the club dancing in 4 has way less sims.

Thing is I don't recall if they came with the game or were modded. I just recall them being in the Showtime game when it first came out. I did test Showtime but for the life of me cannot recall them in the test version - so they may have been mods I tried. (I may not use mods but I have tried a good number of them over the years.)

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

That actually never fully worked in my game. I ended up using the paparazzi as test subjects for spells or whatever I had going on... Those sims still showed up at my lots that weren't even celebrities so whatever happened to them, they had it coming. ;)
    That's odd :o For me it works fortunately.

@Writin_Reg Thanks, I'll google to see if I can find what table and chairs you mean!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    No. The trailer actually got me really excited.
    All I recall was they had a white ring around a table with two chairs. You could put them in clubs or near a stage and each one got two more sims show up for the event. I tried them in weddings too but never saw them fill up like they did for stage shows and clubs.

I did try to find them to link to them and so far no luck for me.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    I think you need a Zoloft...
    bizuktag wrote: »
    I just watched the Jungle Adventures trailer, because that pack I did play. That trailer doesn’t lie, I can do everything shown in there.

That's actually the first TS4 trailer I remember watching and seeing animations that aren't in game (not saying it's the first time it happened, just the first I remember).

In the trailer one of the sims puts their hand above their eyes to shade them from the sun while looking out over the jungle. There is no interaction to "sightsee" or "look at surroundings" or anything that uses that animation in the pack, or at least not one I ever found. It really annoyed me that something a sim was shown doing in a trailer wasn't actually able to be done in the game.

That animation is in the game. I don't remember the exact name of the action, but it's for when your sim gets high archeology skill and can survey for a dig spot. When they're looking for a new dig spot they do that animation.
    Here's an old screenshot I found of my sim doing the animation. f1kVuN4.png[\img]
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    That animation is in the game. I don't remember the exact name of the action, but it's for when your sim gets high archeology skill and can survey for a dig spot. When they're looking for a new dig spot they do that animation.

Wow! Thanks for sharing that. I'm glad it's in there, and I'll gladly take back my comment about the Jungle Adventures trailer, then :D

Also, @Writin_Reg was it definitely a set of chairs and/or table? I seem to recall a square you could put down on the floor for performances that drew audiences, you had to orient it towards the stage. At least, that's what I remember of it, but I barely ever used it so I could be remembering incorrectly.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited October 2019
    Evie0602 wrote: »

Here's an old screenshot I found of my sim doing the animation. f1kVuN4.png[\img]

Unfortunately, there are so many interactions in TS4 that can only be utilized in very specific circumstances. That's why a lot of players don't realize that they exist.

For example, I wish that my Sims could use the Club handshakes without having to be in a club. Or, that I could use the Selvadorada and the Windenburg greetings without being in those places. I've got characters that are from different parts of the Sim world and I would like them to use the greetings regularly as part of their personality. However, I can't (not that I've discovered).

Likewise, the club greetings are pretty good. However, I dislike that I need to create a club in order to use them. I wanted one of the main characters in my story to fistbump his dad. I couldn't find the interaction under the friendly menu. I had to go through the trouble of forming a club between them, buying the handshake as a perk, picking the interaction, taking the screenshot from several angles, then disbanding the club again.

Why?

TS4 players are often forced to find fidgety workarounds due to so many interactions being trapped behind artificial boundaries. Greetings, in particular, shouldn't be one of those things. A greeting should be super special in order to warrant club handshake status. A ubiquitous fistbump doesn't rate.

/end tangential mini-rant
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    I kind of got that feeling, but I'm still hopeful about the pack's quality.
    Of course they want to make it look better than it actually is. That is a basic principle in commercials if you ask me. Not just fast food.

I think the pack might still be decent. But I don't expect to be able to do everything from the trailer. For example I don't think we can comfort people in toilet stalls. It looks like they set up a normal conversation and filmed it to make it look the way it does because it fits the story.

Trailers are meant to draw attention but to accurately depict the content. If I get a pack, it depends on the content, not the trailer. I would have never bought get together based on the trailer alone yet it is one of my favourite packs.
    I don't expect any of the "game play" shown in trailer to be in the game. I expect the objects to be there. A lot of what we saw are base game or other packs objects re-skinned anyways. Sure working on the robot or standing at the podium, shower woo-hoo, etc will be there, but the animations and facial expressions won't look like the machinima we watched.
  • MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    “But if you’ve eaten there before, you’d know that... the burger does not fill the bun”
    Beautifully worded. Exactly how I feel.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I think the biggest thing for me in OPs post is this line: "You know it's not going to play like that when you get it."

Well, no. It's not a set storyline that we get in TS4. It's not something I'd be looking to replay step by step exactly as it is in the trailer.

The way I see the reveal trailers is that they're there to show off the theme. I expect to see the items that are shown on screen, I expect to see the general gist of the things specific to this pack (Sims cycling, the world layout, CAS items that are new to this pack...). Like when I'm watching a fast-food ad for a burger place, I expect them to serve burgers as their main option.

Then in the gameplay trailers (which we've gotten for all the other packs so far and should get for this one), I look for and then expect more specific interactions and detail about activities or new elements of gameplay that weren't there before. Like in RoM gameplay trailer we saw the Sim changed into a spellcaster, the duel animation, some of the spells, etc. I still don't expect it to look precisely like it's shown on screen: my Sims are different (I generally don't play with the premades) and I don't use the cinematic camera in general gameplay. But basically I expect that trailer to tell me more about what's in the burgers that the fast-food place sells.

I've not come across anything in the trailers I've seen that would leave me feeling "well, this isn't what I set my heart on".
    But then I also didn't have that kind of experience in fast-food restaurants. The burgers may not have had the perfect lighting and weren't made specifically to look good, but they had all the contents I expected and tasted good. The same way the packs so far had the content I figured they would from the trailers (and whatever other info available about them pre-release) and entertained me, generally more than I expected.
  • PrisinkiaPrisinkia Posts: 21 Member
    LOL I never thought of it this way but now that you mention it..