Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims needs a competing game that offers something different.

I've been saying it for years, the sims needs competition and it's crazy no one ever made a serious attempt.
I think it where only some poorly made 18+ games with limited content focused only on dating.

Competition is what pushes developers to step up their game. Even if you don't play the competing game, you benefit. If the competition offers more content for less money, the sims can't stay behind of course.
And naturally, a competitor would be excused for not having all the content a new sims game had in previous installments. It's a fresh start, a clean slate. They only need to offer more than the sims does in their base games at launch.

I think a competing game could get pretty far if they focus on a 16+ rating, having some more mature content but not showing sex, drug addictions or such. But it would enable alcohol, smoking and murder. Possibly some risque stuff like the pie dancers the sims used to have but would never dare to put in their games anymore.

Offering a better career system that interacts more with the world could also be a selling point.
Same for layered clothing, letting you pick your sims underwear and put clothes over it. Like Saint's row and other games have been doing for many years already.
And more varying personalities of course. Not hard to beat sims 4 at that, and I feel like it could have been better in previous sims games too.
Like how the interests and hobbies could never be selected but where random.

Comments

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    There is one in the making. It's called Paralives. You can find it on YouTube. Pixelade has several videos about it. By the looks of what I've seen so far, it will be incredible. Give it a look.
  • rhaliusrhalius Posts: 455 Member
    Does look pretty nice yes, I hope it will do well enough to scare the sims developers into trying harder again.

So far it does seem to shape up to contain more in the base game than any sims game had, but seems it might still take years and I won't get too excited untill I see the people and their customisation.
    Build tools look very solid, they're definately going to beat the sims in that department. But making fancy houses, while great for builders, won't help if pathfinding is awful and the people living in it aren't interesting.

I'll certainly keep an eye on this game though, looking forward to them showing the characters.
  • SimsBroSimsBro Posts: 134 Member
    edited October 2019
    I'd settle for competition that does the same except better.
    While there are many other simulation "lite" games, none comes close to The Sims in terms of freedom and possibilities/content.
  • MazatlMazatl Posts: 58 Member
    A more adult oriented one would be cool, I don't mean 🐸🐸🐸🐸 I mean not having to deal with "woohoo" and "juice" bars.

Competition can also scare off the developer, think of what happened to Tony Hawk when they had to compete with EA Skate, which didn't really go anywhere after driving out the Tony Hawk franchise. Practically took a whole genre with them.
  • PrisinkiaPrisinkia Posts: 21 Member
    competition is always good for any series. so I completely agree.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    rhalius wrote: »
    Does look pretty nice yes, I hope it will do well enough to scare the sims developers into trying harder again.

So far it does seem to shape up to contain more in the base game than any sims game had, but seems it might still take years and I won't get too excited untill I see the people and their customisation.
    Build tools look very solid, they're definately going to beat the sims in that department. But making fancy houses, while great for builders, won't help if pathfinding is awful and the people living in it aren't interesting.

I'll certainly keep an eye on this game though, looking forward to them showing the characters.

I feel like financial support for Paralives is a feedback loop that's initiated on the part of Alex, the main developer. Right now he's making enough on Patreon to hire a 3D artist. The more people he hires, the faster he can push out updates. The faster he can push out updates, the more people will be interested to support him on Patreon. I hope he eventually hires enough people to be finished by early 2021 at most.

I think once he reveals the Parafolks, and if they're really well-made, he'll see a huge spike in patrons and he'll be able to hire another person for the project. Fingers crossed
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • rhaliusrhalius Posts: 455 Member
    Indeed, once this project gets going it might be unstoppable of the parapeople are well made and show improvements over the sims. There's plenty to improve upon there still.
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    I just hope Alex is hiring more people to help him out. Not just 3d and an animator - he needs more devs in my opinion if this game is to come out in the coming years.
  • HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    edited October 2019
    Paralives is listed on Steam now. :)
  • ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    I took a look at this and I would definitely buy and play this. I would not give up the Sims but just enjoy playing both.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Harukotyan wrote: »
    Paralives is listed on Steam now. :)

Omg it is. :0 I guess this is really happening

Wishlisted that thing
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited December 2019
    They do have competition, it's called Paralives & Civilization V.
    Post edited by SERVERFRA on
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    18 + games don't always go far. Look what happened to Duke Nukem Forever and Ride to Plum: Retribution. Both of those were 18 + and NOBODY liked them. I think keeping a simulation game rated E or T is better for everyone as long as overly childish stuff(like Sims farting musical notes and buying talkin toilets) is not in the game.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Paralives is giving us the building possibilities we could only dream for in Sims 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEraDHYtnDA
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"