March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has Anyone Else Started Seeing Pack Trailers Like Fast Food Adds?

Comments

• OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Yes. I did get that jaded "Fast Food Add" feeling.
    Felicity wrote: »
    I saw a lot of animations from Sims 3. I honestly think that's not a bad thing -- I'd rather they recycle old animations if that means they can focus on other things.

I have concerns about the concept, tbh. Will your sims have to leave their households when they go to university? Or will you still have all the family members grayed out if you don't? How will time work? I am hoping that they have university be completely separate from the rest of the game, on its own time. I don't want to have to move my sims out of their households, but I definitely do not want to see the rest of the household members in gray, rabbit-hole glory.

I think I'm just thinking about all the ways that this could go badly, or, at best, be shallow. So yes, fast food. The Whopper isn't going to fill me up for long!

If it works like TS2 version, college students leave home for the student bin where they are then placed into college of choice. College is a completely separate word, so one may play either the student or the folks at home freely. Time at the college was on its own, apart from the rest of the game. Time was handled differently in 2, so it may be in sync with the rest of the game in 4. We are shy on details, so need to wait.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    No. The trailer actually got me really excited.
    According to SimGuruFrost, the livestream will focus mainly on gameplay...
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    I kind of got that feeling, but I'm still hopeful about the pack's quality.
    TBH I watch all commercials/trailers like that be it for food, games, movies and whatever else, sooo...idk I guess I am just used to it and don't mind it anymore, it's just a little, fast (and shiny) glimpse at what's to come, I have never looked at trailers/commercials for accurate information to base a decision or opinion on, nobody should.
    That said, I was not excited for Uni at all and I still don't really get it, only thing that made me happy was seeing the robots.
    Anyway, I'm going to wait till the livestream comes along.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    According to SimGuruFrost, the livestream will focus mainly on gameplay...

Good on them, I really hope they showcase as much as they can over the cosmetics.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    After spending nearly 48 years on this planet, I understand how commercials work, so I don’t let the hooks spoil my enjoyment of the actual product anymore. I rely more on the live-streams to see what’s really what. Barbie commercials when I was a kid showed Barbie walking and talking on her own, the real doll never did anything portrayed in the commercials but I still enjoyed the plum out of mine from the age of 6 until I was about 15 years old. :)
    That’s really not the same, everybody knows Barbie can’t walk on her own. When you advertise a game and suggest there’s gameplay in there that’s not, that’s like advertising a Barbie doll and selling her without legs. People who are pointing this out are not naive or something, they do know how advertising works. But there is a line, also in advertising.

When you’re six you don’t necessarily know that. But eventually you learn to filter hyperbole from actuality and that’s all I was saying. I don’t expect my sims game to play out like the machinima commercial. If I don’t engage my imagination while I play I too get bored quickly. The way I figure it, using my imagination to fill in the story I’m telling on my screen is my sweat equity in the game, so to speak. All video games require a suspension of belief and reality along with a certain amount of self storytelling in order to achieve immersion. At least that’s how I see it. 🤷🏼‍♀️
    I never watched ads at 6 because we didn’t have a TV back then, maybe you do think at that age Barbies can walk around and talk to you when it’s on screen, I don’t know. I did have dolls back then and I knew they couldn’t do that, that I had to bring them to life myself (which was the whole fun of it, basically). I think the comparison here is when they show you Barbie Camping Adventures with a pink caravan in it and two tents and a table with little chairs and a picknick set and two lounge chairs, and then you buy it and there’s nothing in there but Barbie, a picknick set and the tent. No caravan, no picknick set, no chairs, no table. That is false advertising.

I have never purchased an S4 pack that didn’t have everything in it that they said would be. The problem I see with a lot of community members is once a pack is announced they start listing off features they expect in the pack, they make threads listing scenarios utilizing those features even if they were never promised, and then if those features don’t materialize they’re bitterly disappointed and angry. I don’t rely on the trailers for informing myself what the pack is capable of, because as I said it’s basically a two minute machinima movie, heavily staged. I watch the live-streams with the devs showing how the pack actually plays, and so far I have yet to be disappointed.
    They definitely suggested open scuba diving (though that was a render I think, not the trailer) and sims in the IL trailer react all surprised when a sims turns into a mermaid, which apparently doesn’t happen in the game? I don’t buy packs anymore, I see people stating trailers have animations that are not in the game, but I’ll have to take their word for it.

My point - reacting to your post - by the way wasn’t if it’s true. My point was there is a difference between pimping up a trailer and suggesting content that actually isn’t there. The first is allowed I’d say, the second is not. Whether this applies to Sims 4 I don’t know.

I would say it is the second. They show situations that does not happen, nor can we do in the game because of either restrictions or it is simply how the game works. Maxis has set restrictions like max 20 sims per lot, situational outfits, and sims show very little emotions and reactions overall. But in the trailers, it is like these restrictions don't exist. They all have perfect outfits, they react to everything and are all standing in the background doing something. Instead of giving us these options and the abilities to do this in the game they pretend that they exist in the trailers.
    If they could just allow us to do these things in the game I would be fine with these trailers, let us increase the max limit, add more reactions and give us the options to disable situational outfits in the game. Give us the tools to make our own story, don't make us pretend.

• SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I think you need a Zoloft...

There's a livestream upcoming on the 8th, I'm guessing the gameplay trailer will be out somewhere between now and then.

It looks like the livestream itself will be the gameplay reveal:

• OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    They just need to showcase gameplay over objects a bit better. Take a look at The Sims 2's University trailer. Here, we have subtitles that give some information about gameplay and what to expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VAJqjR_7H4

There is also the gameplay livestream which the gurus do before the pack releases, which I think is a huge help.

That's how trailers are supposed to be! Everything in that has happened in my TS2 games, at college or in the main towns. That's also how an EP should be, impacts the whole game, not just the specialized lot.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Evil_One wrote: »
    It was a pretty standard ad. Show the best stuff, hide the bugs. That's literally any gaming trailer nowadays. Why would they want to show you the monotony of grinding or any other features people would be disappointed by? If you want to be sure the pack is what you expect (or any game/product is what you expect) then wait for reviews. And in the case of TS4 watch the livestreams. Any game you don't get to play a prerelease version of yourself you should be leery of. And even then that's not a guarantee if you get to play it before it releases.

Which pretty much explains why they never show much.

Out of curiosity, what did you want them to show in the trailer?0

I've seen reveal trailers for games with less that were farther from release date at the time of the trailer than TS4's trailers are from their pack release dates. And those games were worse representations of the game than TS4's trailers are often times. Makes me think of that one Dead Island trailer that people loved that got people super interested in the game. Had nothing to do with the game in the long run though. Seems like there was the slightest of easter eggs in game, but otherwise the trailer and the game were unrelated. Trailers and hype are a big deal in the gaming industry and I feel like TS4 reveal trailers are actually pretty decent by comparison.

This is a trailer:
    They just need to showcase gameplay over objects a bit better. Take a look at The Sims 2's University trailer. Here, we have subtitles that give some information about gameplay and what to expect.

There is also the gameplay livestream which the gurus do before the pack releases, which I think is a huge help.

Everything in it, actually happens in the game, as does the animations, reactions, ETC... TS4's trailers are completely fake, aside from the theme all of the animations, reactions, concepts, ETC are false.

raw
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    If the game was as good as its trailers, there would be no complainers.

If the game were like the trailers it would be a cartoon, requiring no player interaction whatsoever.
    Ever watched machinimas? It’s perfectly possible to make sims do something and film it ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited October 2019
    logion wrote: »
    After spending nearly 48 years on this planet, I understand how commercials work, so I don’t let the hooks spoil my enjoyment of the actual product anymore. I rely more on the live-streams to see what’s really what. Barbie commercials when I was a kid showed Barbie walking and talking on her own, the real doll never did anything portrayed in the commercials but I still enjoyed the plum out of mine from the age of 6 until I was about 15 years old. :)
    That’s really not the same, everybody knows Barbie can’t walk on her own. When you advertise a game and suggest there’s gameplay in there that’s not, that’s like advertising a Barbie doll and selling her without legs. People who are pointing this out are not naive or something, they do know how advertising works. But there is a line, also in advertising.

When you’re six you don’t necessarily know that. But eventually you learn to filter hyperbole from actuality and that’s all I was saying. I don’t expect my sims game to play out like the machinima commercial. If I don’t engage my imagination while I play I too get bored quickly. The way I figure it, using my imagination to fill in the story I’m telling on my screen is my sweat equity in the game, so to speak. All video games require a suspension of belief and reality along with a certain amount of self storytelling in order to achieve immersion. At least that’s how I see it. 🤷🏼‍♀️
    I never watched ads at 6 because we didn’t have a TV back then, maybe you do think at that age Barbies can walk around and talk to you when it’s on screen, I don’t know. I did have dolls back then and I knew they couldn’t do that, that I had to bring them to life myself (which was the whole fun of it, basically). I think the comparison here is when they show you Barbie Camping Adventures with a pink caravan in it and two tents and a table with little chairs and a picknick set and two lounge chairs, and then you buy it and there’s nothing in there but Barbie, a picknick set and the tent. No caravan, no picknick set, no chairs, no table. That is false advertising.

I have never purchased an S4 pack that didn’t have everything in it that they said would be. The problem I see with a lot of community members is once a pack is announced they start listing off features they expect in the pack, they make threads listing scenarios utilizing those features even if they were never promised, and then if those features don’t materialize they’re bitterly disappointed and angry. I don’t rely on the trailers for informing myself what the pack is capable of, because as I said it’s basically a two minute machinima movie, heavily staged. I watch the live-streams with the devs showing how the pack actually plays, and so far I have yet to be disappointed.
    They definitely suggested open scuba diving (though that was a render I think, not the trailer) and sims in the IL trailer react all surprised when a sims turns into a mermaid, which apparently doesn’t happen in the game? I don’t buy packs anymore, I see people stating trailers have animations that are not in the game, but I’ll have to take their word for it.

My point - reacting to your post - by the way wasn’t if it’s true. My point was there is a difference between pimping up a trailer and suggesting content that actually isn’t there. The first is allowed I’d say, the second is not. Whether this applies to Sims 4 I don’t know.

I would say it is the second. They show situations that does not happen, nor can we do in the game because of either restrictions or it is simply how the game works. Maxis has set restrictions like max 20 sims per lot, situational outfits, and sims show very little emotions and reactions overall. But in the trailers, it is like these restrictions don't exist. They all have perfect outfits, they react to everything and are all standing in the background doing something. Instead of giving us these options and the abilities to do this in the game they pretend that they exist in the trailers.
    If they could just allow us to do these things in the game I would be fine with these trailers, let us increase the max limit, add more reactions and give us the options to disable situational outfits in the game. Give us the tools to make our own story, don't make us pretend.

To some extent I think it’s allowed to stuff sims doing things into a trailer and show it off, provided that what you see is actually in the game. They mustn’t cross a line though and I guess that line differs for different people? Like, the Late Night trailer for Sims 3, for me they crossed a line. The nightclubs were a huge selling point for that one and the experience in the game (especially on a low end computer but also on a high end computer there’s never more than ten to twelve sims in there) is completely different than what they suggest. All I could think back then was: “Guys, you should have found a way to attract many sims to those places, ór you should have been a bit more honest in that trailer.” It annoyed me. And being annoyed by a marketing trick, that’s where I personally draw a line.

(not quite sure what I’m expected to see in the Barbie commercials; they build false expectations as well?)
    5JZ57S6.png
    I just watched the Jungle Adventures trailer, because that pack I did play.

That trailer doesn’t lie, I can do everything shown in there. What does strike me is how it completely focuses on trying to sell it to you instead of showing off what you can actually do, the game part so to speak (the way they did in the TS2 University trailer @Sk8rblaze showed and also the TS3 version of that pack). Having played that pack, I’m sad to say I understand why they have to do that. If I didn’t know any better I’d think this is a trailer for some kids movie, not a game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member

would you look at all the items you get with Sims 2 University....GAMEPLAY ITEMS sheesh those were the good old days.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    "They edited the trailer to make the pack look as good and exciting as possible."

Did they? The majority of the stuff in that trailer was bland and boring looking to me. The only remotely interesting thing to me was the bikes. :/ Everything else was either re-used animations and objects that already exist...or just uninteresting stuff that had nothing to do with getting an education.
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    "They edited the trailer to make the pack look as good and exciting as possible."

Did they? The majority of the stuff in that trailer was bland and boring looking to me. The only remotely interesting thing to me was the bikes. :/ Everything else was either re-used animations and objects that already exist...or just uninteresting stuff that had nothing to do with getting an education.

Same here. Which speaks volumes about the pack for me.
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I just watched the Jungle Adventures trailer, because that pack I did play. That trailer doesn’t lie, I can do everything shown in there.

That's actually the first TS4 trailer I remember watching and seeing animations that aren't in game (not saying it's the first time it happened, just the first I remember).

In the trailer one of the sims puts their hand above their eyes to shade them from the sun while looking out over the jungle. There is no interaction to "sightsee" or "look at surroundings" or anything that uses that animation in the pack, or at least not one I ever found. It really annoyed me that something a sim was shown doing in a trailer wasn't actually able to be done in the game.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Couldn't agree more. Once again a few trailers in the past iterations were like that too, but at least we were given something real in gameplay.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    Both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 Seasons were awsome and informative trailers for example!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uw0uQVoCyw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB5nTGm0j3Q
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    I wonder if the game will ever get a pool table? Or has someone decided that all of the animations required to simulate a variety of shots are just not financially worth it?
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    You do if you sit there and think "It's not going to be like that," every time some staged game play is presented.
    I said that to myself quite a lot. I am still looking forward to the pack, but that trailer is just a look at the setting, clothes, and objects for me.
    Forget about it for game play.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    bizuktag wrote: »
    I just watched the Jungle Adventures trailer, because that pack I did play. That trailer doesn’t lie, I can do everything shown in there.

That's actually the first TS4 trailer I remember watching and seeing animations that aren't in game (not saying it's the first time it happened, just the first I remember).

In the trailer one of the sims puts their hand above their eyes to shade them from the sun while looking out over the jungle. There is no interaction to "sightsee" or "look at surroundings" or anything that uses that animation in the pack, or at least not one I ever found. It really annoyed me that something a sim was shown doing in a trailer wasn't actually able to be done in the game.
    You’re right!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited October 2019
    I kind of got that feeling, but I'm still hopeful about the pack's quality.
    Those old trailers look so fun 🤭there's so much to do!! and you guys are right. Everything they show you can actually do. Doesn't look like a cartoon movie preview.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    edited October 2019
    Delete
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    No. The trailer actually got me really excited.
    Those old trailers look so fun 🤭there's so much to do!! and you guys are right. Everything they show you can actually do. Doesn't look like a cartoon movie preview.

Not so. Try getting your kids to fly around on the fans or before we got Apt life to slide down the Bannister or blow fire out of their mouths or even catch on fire. Babies could not catch on fire in Sims 2. There were other things in the Sims trailer not obtainable in the game as well when that trailer came out.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited October 2019
    I'm sure many people have already said this but .. this is how advertising works. Seriously just look at the comments under this trailer
    https://youtu.be/CZcq9f72r2c

Or idk, shampoo commercials. Who has ever lied to us more than the cosmetics industry?

I mean, I get the frustration - I would vastly prefer it if everything we saw in a sims trailer was actually in the game, but... I honestly haven't expected that since the beginning.

Plus I think that a lot of the disappointment with sims 4 comes from what isn't in the trailer. People don't see something they want, they get told to wait til we learn more, they learn it isn't in there after all and often feel lied to. With the sims 4 I've learned to take their trailers at face value: if I don't see it, it's probably not there. And most of the animations are commercial stunts. Other than that: what you see is usually what you get (no more).
    edited October 2019
    @SimTrippy Yes, I actually adressed that trailer on this page.
    ”Like, the Late Night trailer for Sims 3, for me they crossed a line. The nightclubs were a huge selling point for that one and the experience in the game (especially on a low end computer but also on a high end computer there’s never more than ten to twelve sims in there) is completely different than what they suggest. All I could think back then was: “Guys, you should have found a way to attract many sims to those places, ór you should have been a bit more honest in that trailer.” It annoyed me. And being annoyed by a marketing trick, that’s where I personally draw a line.”

The fact commercials lie isn’t an excuse. I’m sure everything shown in Sims 4 trailers is allowed, I can’t imagine they’re not carefully operating within the boundaries of what’s allowed legally. Doesn’t mean we can’t determine it happens. And to be honest, that Sims 3 trailer is a fine example of misinformation, but I also think it’s the only one from back then. The others I remember where quite accurate. It’s always this trailer and the Sims 2 one with the fan people use as an example how it always was like this, but I really think those two were exceptions.
    5JZ57S6.png