Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best PC to run the Sims

I'm looking to buy a PC that can run the Sims 3 & 4 with all their respective packs. If anyone could please guide me I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    I'd be happy to help you find something that works for you. Would you like some links to specific computers that would work well with both games? If so, just list your budget and country, as well as any other details that matter to you—desktop or laptop (and do you need to budget for a monitor as well), other games you'd like to play or apps you'd like to run, any large collections of movies, music, etc. that you'd like to be able to store.

Or, if you prefer, I can write out the specs you'd want in a new system, so that you can look yourself.
  • shelym11shelym11 Posts: 47 Member
    @puzzlezaddict I think links would be perfect.
    Budget up to 1000 I prefer a desktop.
    Country US. I don't play any other games on PC.
    I had being looking at this one but wasn't sure
    https://skytechgaming.com/product/azure-2/
    Thank you for replying 😊
    That's an excellent price for a computer with an Nvidia 2060, and SkyTech is always a good choice for people who want to make the most of their budget. I do want to point out, in case you weren't sure, that a 2060 is overkill for both TS3 and TS4, not that there's anything wrong with that. The processor is more than strong enough for both games, plus whatever multitasking you'd want to do alongside them. Getting 16 GB RAM is nice too.

Just so you have more ideas, here are a couple of other possibilities to consider. They're certainly not better than the one you found, but they are cheaper, and they'd run the games on ultra graphics settings as well.

This one, at $635, is the lowest I'd go. Its AMD RX 580 is just enough for ultra graphics settings, it has a slightly stronger processor than the one you found, and it has only 8 GB RAM, not that you couldn't add more yourself. (A single 8 GB RAM stick might cost you less than $50, but you'd want to make sure you matched the model already installed in the computer.)
    https://www.amazon.com/SkyTech-Archangel-Gaming-Computer-Desktop/dp/B07JYF2394

This one is $730, with the same processor you found, and an Nvidia 1660, which is enough for ultra settings with room to spare. It also has only 8 GB RAM.
    https://www.amazon.com/SkyTech-Shadow-Computer-Desktop-GeForce/dp/B07RG74BS9

Both these computers are available on the SkyTech website as well, although for a higher price, and Amazon offers free shipping.

The best option with a 1660 ti, the next card down from a 2060 (and of course better than a 1660 without the ti boost), is $850. It also has 16 GB RAM, but paying only $50 to upgrade to a 2060 is a pretty good deal. Still, in case you want to see:
    https://skytechgaming.com/product/legacy-mini/

Finally, I poked around CyberpowerPC's website, because why not. There are a couple of excellent deals right now, and with the right configuration and the right daily sale, you could actually get a system with a 2060, 16 GB RAM, and a 500 GB SSD for just under $900. This doesn't include tax or shipping though. What it does include is a better motherboard and power supply, and faster RAM, as well as the option to pick exactly the hard drive(s) you want, not just size and type but brand. Just as importantly, it includes a significantly stronger processor, one of the new AMD models that's much faster than its predecessors.

Interestingly, the downgrade to a 1660 ti would only save $45, and getting a 1660 would save $91. It's probably because people are so excited by the 2060 Super that the regular 2060 is falling in price.

Anyway, it's something to consider. Otherwise, you'd do very well with the model you picked out, and any of the computers on this list should have no trouble handling everything TS3 and TS4 could throw at them.
  • shelym11shelym11 Posts: 47 Member
    @puzzlezaddict thank you so much I really appreciate your help.
  • ashlisims221ashlisims221 Posts: 1 New Member
    @puzzlezaddict What would be the best PCs to run both games with all extension/stuff packs with a price limit of 2000? thank you for any help!
    @ashlisims221 Are you talking about $2,000 U.S.? Because that's much more money than you need to spend, unless you have other plans for this computer as well. Would you like to play other games, or do anything demanding like edit videos? Do you want a desktop or a laptop? If you'd prefer a desktop, would you like the cheapest good option, or would you prefer to pay a bit more to get better quality components, so you have room to upgrade later? I'd be happy to look around for you, as soon as I know what you want.
  • AlexyPowerAlexyPower Posts: 1 New Member
    Would a Lenovo B5400 work for TS3 or is that not good enough? I sadly doesn't have any other working computer yet since my brother's desktop is infected by viruses and needs to be cleared out
    @AlexyPower Unfortunately, how a Lenovo B5400 would run TS3 falls somewhere between "not very well" and "not at all." It came in a few different configurations, but even the best graphics card offered wouldn't be strong enough to handle the most demanding Sims 3 expansions (Pets, Seasons, then Isla Paradiso and Into the Future). The lowest-end graphics chip that came with this model might not even run the base game. It looks like one configuration came with only 4 GB RAM, which is not enough, and all of the processors are dual-core, so they'd struggle just to run TS3 and Windows at the same time.

None of that takes into account the age of this computer or how well it's been maintained over the years. Some laptops hold up better than others, partly with extra care and partly due to luck, but you couldn't expect any five year old laptop to run as well as it would have when it was new. So while it's impossible to say exactly how this one would run Sims 3, you're unlikely to get the play experience you want.

If you have the option to wait for your brother's computer to be fixed, that's probably the better way to go.
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    AlexyPower wrote: »
    Would a Lenovo B5400 work for TS3 or is that not good enough? I sadly doesn't have any other working computer yet since my brother's desktop is infected by viruses and needs to be cleared out

@AlexyPower - Like the previous poster said, the Lenovo B5400 came in a number of different configurations, so the question is, which one of those have you got?

If you want anyone to be able to give you a more definite answer you'll have to run a DxDiag report on your computer, copy it all, upload it to Pastebin and put a link to it in your next post here.

How to gather information on your PC using DxDiag.

Since you're still a new member I don't think you can post links properly, so you have to put a blank space between h and t like I've done below.

h ttps://pastebin.com/NwV1XQsq

@puzzlezaddict - Where are you looking for information about the Lenovo B5400? I looked here at the Lenovo official site, but it's not very detailed about the specs.
    edited September 2019
    @SuzyCue72 That's the first site I found, minus the Swedish that I wouldn't understand, but there were also several reviews of that laptop model, all of which listed the specific configuration being tested. I even saw a couple of those laptops on sale.

At any rate, even assuming the most favorable configuration (i5-4200M, Nvidia 720m, 8 or 16 GB RAM), that hardware wouldn't have run the entire game very well when it was new. It's reasonably likely that all packs could technically have run, but with lots of lag, frequent crashes, delays in rendering, and a generally poor play experience, even on low graphics settings. The GPU would simply not have been able to handle all the data it was asked to process in anything resembling a timely fashion. The base game and a few early packs probably would have been fine, especially if the game wasn't running on ultra.

And all that's with the best possible configuration. It looks like most of them don't have a dedicated card at all; the cheapest has only the very weak chip integrated into the Pentium 3550M. That chip would be completely overmatched by even a handful of packs, and even the fully patched base game alone might not have run very well.

Plus, hardware ages, and laptop hardware usually doesn't age particularly gracefully. It's impossible to say how much the performance of this particular computer might have dropped off in the last several years, only that it certainly has.
    @puzzlezaddict - I agree with what you say, standard non-gaming laptops like this Lenovo B5400 simply are not suited for gaming, unless it's very lightweight games.

There is a problem with laptops that people usually forget, and that is that they are very prone to overheating if/when they're forced to run games or other programs they're not made to handle. If a laptop is running on a very high temperature for months or years, it's potential lifespan will most likely be shortened considerably, maybe even cut in half.

I have two older low end laptops myself, and I haven't bothered to install anything more than the base game on any of them, because they seem to have enough to do with running that alone.

I also have a few Asus gaming laptops, and they're able to run the whole TS3 (=all EPs, all SPs and everything from the Store) pretty easily. But after I bought myself a good gaming desktop I mostly use the laptops only for lighter stuff like office programs, internet, watching videos etc.
    @SuzyCue72 Yeah, excess heat will definitely shorten the life of just about any computer if it's not allowed to dissipate. Given the close confines of any laptop, it's not surprising that can be complicated to build a decent cooling apparatus. But most gaming laptops, not the one mentioned but proper ones built for the increased demands of modern games, can actually cool themselves quite well with a bit of help. Elevating them and letting air circulate underneath can do wonders.

I ran the Anno 1800 beta on my MacBook Pro 14,3 (yes, I know, not a gaming machine, but it does great, and even runs Windows when I ask) on the default high settings with no evidence of lag or other performance issues. I put books under the corners, and while it ran hot, it didn't give me any reason to worry. On the other hand, if I'm sitting on my couch browsing the forums with the laptop in my lap, and I decide to load TS3 to check something, the fans get loud before I even hit the intro movie.

Of course, all the air circulation in the world won't help if the heat isn't being dispersed from the core components quickly enough, nor will the best cooling setup possible fix performance issues if those components can't keep up with the demands being placed on them. It's too bad that there really isn't a good way to run TS3 on lower-end systems, at least not with the more demanding packs. On the other hand, it's precisely that goal (among other things) that led to TS4, so the tradeoff doesn't really seem worth it.
  • cometeomycotacometeomycota Posts: 2 New Member
    Random Question, but I recently purchased a pc for under $600 (USD) which has the AMD Ryzen 5 1400 processor and AMD Radeon RX 570 for graphics. Is that good enough to run both sims 3 and sims 4? If not, what should I upgrade my processor/graphics card to? thank you in advance.
    @cometeomycota It sounds like you got a really good deal. Your processor and graphics card will currently handle ultra settings for both games comfortably, even with all current packs installed. Future TS4 packs might raise the requirements enough that you'd need to dial back a few settings to high, but that's just speculation at this point, and it's probably more likely that your card will always be fine.

One thing you'll want to do for TS3 is use an app to lock in-game frame rates to the refresh rate of your monitor. TS3's fps limiter doesn't work (TS4's is fine), and without an outside tool doing the job, your card will generate excessively high fps. Aside from the excess workload, this can cause graphics glitches and heat your card more than necessary.

The first tool to try with an AMD card is RivaTuner Statistics Server. It's very straightforward to use, but if you'd like instructions or a couple of screenshots, feel free to ask. Be sure to pick the right executable for the game: TS3.exe for a patch 1.69 (Origin) install, but TS3W.exe, with the "W," for a patch 1.67 (disc or Steam) install.

If you did want to invest a bit of money in your computer, upgrading to 16 GB RAM from the 8 GB it likely has would be a good choice. Neither game needs it, but more memory will help with multitasking (especially while you're playing, but also in general). It's more a quality of life upgrade, and a matching 8 GB RAM stick might cost you $40.
  • cometeomycotacometeomycota Posts: 2 New Member
    @puzzlezaddict Thank you very much!! I have been so nervous that i wouldn't be able to run either game. I will definitely get an app to lock in the rates, thank you for telling me that, because i had no idea that the ts3 fps limiter doesn't work. when I get my pc (later this week hopefully ^^) I'll install both and will definitely pm you if i need any help. Thanks again :) !!!
    One thing you'll want to do for TS3 is use an app to lock in-game frame rates to the refresh rate of your monitor. TS3's fps limiter doesn't work (TS4's is fine), and without an outside tool doing the job, your card will generate excessively high fps. Aside from the excess workload, this can cause graphics glitches and heat your card more than necessary.

@puzzlezaddict - No, it sure doesn't, never has, not for me anyway. I've always wondered why it's even there since it's totally useless...
  • CorneliasCornelias Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi guys, So I am a Mac user and I've been playing The Sims 4 on my MacBook Air early 2015. And a few weeks ago and a day before The Catalina OS came out, I was experiencing issues with Safari telling me I had no disk space when I tried to download something. I had my 2TB external WD passport hooked up to my laptop so I thought it was very strange that this was giving me that issue. I immediately called Apple Support and the girl suggested id upgrade to Catalina OS to see if that fixes the no disk space error.. thinking it would of worked it ended up ruining how I had my external drive tied to my game so I tried to fix it by trying to move the documents folder to my drive. And It ended up accidentally replacing my Electronic Arts/Mods folder. So I tried to re install Origin and I kept getting this error message saying, Origin can not install games here because the destination folder is not mounted. I tried changing my home directory to my external, I tried clicking on choose another folder all it would was spin the color wheel and then nothing else happened. I finally reached out to EA Help through twitter and on the phone. All they kept saying was move your Electronic Arts folder to your desktop and I wasn't wanting to do that.. due to very low storage on my Mac itself.. anyways I am wanting to purchase a new PC because my Macbook isn't cutting it anymore.. I need something under 1000$ comes with keyboard and mouse, but something that still offers good enough storage for a lot of cc/mods etc. I tend to download cc daily.. I like to use a mix between alpha and maxis match cc. So id like something with a good graphic card like the NVIVIA GTX 1050 or 1060 whatever can go on ultra/high settings. and meets EA's requirements as well as compatible with ALL EP's and GPs except Vampires, Realm of Magic, Strangerville, Outdoor retreat. as well as most if not almost all the SP.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @Cornelias - Afraid this isn't the TS4 section of the forum, this is TS3. As you haven't even mentioned wishing to play that version (Mac or PC, either way), perhaps this would be better off posted on a TS4 forum board?

This might be an even better place:
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/ct-p/the-sims-4-en
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @Cornelias - There is a member here, @puzzlezaddict, that might be able to help you, either here or at the Answers HQ. If I understand it correctly she's a longtime Mac user, and also has experience from Windows (via bootcamping her Mac), and The Sims 3 and 4.

If you look a bit further up in this thread you can see that she helped the OP with finding a suitable computer for both Sims 3 and 4.