March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Member or new Member? Everything you need to know ;)

Comments

• Mic95Mic95 Posts: 21 Member
    This system is a bit frustrating but understandable.
  • Monda76Monda76 Posts: 50 Member
    Be glad when I make it there I only have 18 points. I just found out about this thread so hopefully I can get a few likes. I would be so grateful thanks in advance.☺️
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,225 Member
    Monda76 wrote: »
    Be glad when I make it there I only have 18 points. I just found out about this thread so hopefully I can get a few likes. I would be so grateful thanks in advance.☺️

@Monda76, congrats on becoming a full member... :)
  • Monda76Monda76 Posts: 50 Member
    Thanks so much🥳🤩
  • ImTheOneAndOnlyMeImTheOneAndOnlyMe Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello everyone! New here ! Any tips!?
  • ClownlingClownling Posts: 18 Member
    The fact that you're not supposed to ask for help with points is a little bit frustrating, honestly... Especially because new members can't do much to get points, like sharing their sims stories, making new discussions to help with feedback, etc. On one hand, I do understand it, but the fact you're also not supposed to 'give' new members points feels... A little harsh? It makes it feels a bit unwelcoming, especially because it doesn't look like points are given out often in general...

But oh, well. I hope any new members reading this will be able to get their required points soon! <3
    Clownin' Around
  • LidiflyfulLidiflyful Posts: 22 Member
    I am also frustrated by this system. I have been a member of this forum for YEARS. People respond to my posts and I have been an active participant in many discussions, but I have to rely on Like buttons before I can be considered a full member? Tbh I think its disgusting. Especially to members like me who are not trolls and have been part of the Sims community from Sims 1! There are people on here who have become full members before me and have only been playing the game a few years, I've been playing for almost 2 decades! Its insane.
    Lidiflyful wrote: »
    I am also frustrated by this system. I have been a member of this forum for YEARS. People respond to my posts and I have been an active participant in many discussions, but I have to rely on Like buttons before I can be considered a full member? Tbh I think its disgusting. Especially to members like me who are not trolls and have been part of the Sims community from Sims 1! There are people on here who have become full members before me and have only been playing the game a few years, I've been playing for almost 2 decades! Its insane.

@Lidiflyful, you have the points that you need, you just need to make 5 more posts so that you can get to 15 and then you will be a full member... :)
  • maichanmaichan Posts: 39 Member
    Hello! I'm new here and I don't want to seem angry or anything, but I find the Member Sytem a little frustrating. I mean, I understand why this system is like this, but maybe the number of points is a little excessive? Just saying, I don't want to offend anyone or underrate the Staff work, but getting points isn't easy. Thanks for reading and sorry for the bad English.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,479 Member
    maichan wrote: »
    Hello! I'm new here and I don't want to seem angry or anything, but I find the Member Sytem a little frustrating. I mean, I understand why this system is like this, but maybe the number of points is a little excessive? Just saying, I don't want to offend anyone or underrate the Staff work, but getting points isn't easy. Thanks for reading and sorry for the bad English.

Hello @maichan .
    The number of points and posts needed to become a full member has changed since this thread was started. You now need to have 25 points and 15 posts before you can become a full member. This thread explain about it.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/934205/small-change-for-new-members#latest
    You have the required posts but just need a few more points.
  • Nite0wlzNite0wlz Posts: 26 Member
    > @06Bon06 said:
    > The member system has been introduced to help curb the trolling epidemic we faced. Everyone joining this Forum for the first time start out with 0 Points, it does not matter how long you have been on the Sims forums, you can increase your points to become a Member. Points are seen on the profile, in a grey box on the left side.
    >
    > You need 50 Points, 30 Posts and have an account older than 24 hours to become a Member.
    >
    > You can earn points by:
    > 1. Earning badges - here are all the badges you can currently earn http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/badges
    > 2. When someone LIKES or Awesomes your post you get
    > - 1 Point for Like
    >
    >
    > Being a new member has certain disadvantages.
    > 1. New members can't post images.
    > 2. New members can't quote normally, they get arrows instead of the box.
    > 3. New members cannot post links.
    > 4. New members can not add signatures.
    > 5. New members can not compose messages, they can however reply to them.
    > 6. New members can not have a profile picture.
    >
    > Zagadoo is Simlish for Disagree. This button doesn't earn nor deduct points, neither does it earn badges.
    > (Quote)
    >
    >
    > Please abstain from GIVING points to new members or creating threads to ask for points.(Quote)
    > http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/801207/updated-forum-rules/p1
    >
    > Threads for new members:
    > Complete Forum tutorial
    > New member's club by @brandi22
    > Come and introduce yourself by @rosemow
    >
    > Note: The level system has been replaced by this, you are either a member or not :)
    > Feel free to add :)
    >
    > Updated: 17/09/14 Disagree and Agree buttons have been removed.
    >
    > Special Thanks to
    > @lisasc360 @metalfenix_Raf @Quelsimmy @bflury @salivacocktail @Daijahv @ebuchala @Simperatrix @sirpadfoot42‌ @blunote00‌ for adding to the post ^^
    > and... @SimGuruBChick‌
    >
    > A Super Special thanks to @lisasc360 @rosemow for always being there to help new members.
    >
    > Credit to everyone that posted there, you are all awesome!
    > - http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/770559/promoted-to-level-4-new-members-cannot-post-pictures/p1

Thanks this was helpful
    Nite0wlz wrote: »
    > @06Bon06 said:
    > The member system has been introduced to help curb the trolling epidemic we faced. Everyone joining this Forum for the first time start out with 0 Points, it does not matter how long you have been on the Sims forums, you can increase your points to become a Member. Points are seen on the profile, in a grey box on the left side.
    >
    > You need 50 Points, 30 Posts and have an account older than 24 hours to become a Member.
    >
    > You can earn points by:
    > 1. Earning badges - here are all the badges you can currently earn http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/badges
    > 2. When someone LIKES or Awesomes your post you get
    > - 1 Point for Like
    >
    >
    > Being a new member has certain disadvantages.
    > 1. New members can't post images.
    > 2. New members can't quote normally, they get arrows instead of the box.
    > 3. New members cannot post links.
    > 4. New members can not add signatures.
    > 5. New members can not compose messages, they can however reply to them.
    > 6. New members can not have a profile picture.
    >
    > Zagadoo is Simlish for Disagree. This button doesn't earn nor deduct points, neither does it earn badges.
    > (Quote)
    >
    >
    > Please abstain from GIVING points to new members or creating threads to ask for points.(Quote)
    > http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/801207/updated-forum-rules/p1
    >
    > Threads for new members:
    > Complete Forum tutorial
    > New member's club by @brandi22
    > Come and introduce yourself by @rosemow
    >
    > Note: The level system has been replaced by this, you are either a member or not :)
    > Feel free to add :)
    >
    > Updated: 17/09/14 Disagree and Agree buttons have been removed.
    >
    > Special Thanks to
    > @lisasc360 @metalfenix_Raf @Quelsimmy @bflury @salivacocktail @Daijahv @ebuchala @Simperatrix @sirpadfoot42‌ @blunote00‌ for adding to the post ^^
    > and... @SimGuruBChick‌
    >
    > A Super Special thanks to @lisasc360 @rosemow for always being there to help new members.
    >
    > Credit to everyone that posted there, you are all awesome!
    > - http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/770559/promoted-to-level-4-new-members-cannot-post-pictures/p1

Thanks this was helpful

@Nite0wlz, the membership requirements have changed over the years from 50 points to 25 points, 30 posts to 15 posts.
    You can read the changes over in this link... :)
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/934205/small-change-for-new-members#latest
  • NevonaNevona Posts: 32 Member
    How do you make your own thread after you are a member?
    Nevona wrote: »
    How do you make your own thread after you are a member?

Hello @Nevona:) You have the required posts and points to become a full member but you need to have joined the forums for at least 24 hours before you can become a full member.
    When you are a full member, to start a new thread, go to the section of the forums where you want to start a new thread , and press the “ new discussion” button on the top right hand side of the screen. Then you can give a title to the discussion thread, and post in the post box what you want to post.
  • carvernosamcarvernosam Posts: 34 Member
    Honestly, the fact that I have to post a certain amount of times and gain a certain amount of points so I can start a thread on a FORUM is ridiculous. What's the point of a forum if I can't actually make my own thread on it? And I can't necro threads either, not that I want to, but what if I can't find a relevant AND recent enough thread about something I want to talk about? Normally I'd just, you know, make said thread.

Not being able to quote or send DMs is also ridiculous. It limits the types of interactions we can even have with other members.

And I can't change my profile picture yet? Yet there's a badge, that gives points for changing it, points that I require to become a member so I can change it?

I feel like I've been half-banned by the forums just for signing up.

If there was a troll epidemic (that by the sounds of it was two years ago) then it's up to the mods to punish them and deal with that, not to punish innocent new users.
    Hello @carvernosam
    The number of points and posts needed to become a full member has changed since this thread was started. You now need to have 25 points and 15 posts before you can become a full member. This thread explain about it.
    You have the required posts but just need a few more points.

You are able to quote other simmers. The quotes just don’t appear in a grey box until you become a full member.
  • carvernosamcarvernosam Posts: 34 Member
    @rosemow

I didn't ask how to become a member, and I didn't ask how to quote people.

I didn't ask anything. I gave feedback on an overly strict sign-up process. I don't appreciate my feedback being completely bypassed and ignored to answer questions I did not ask.
  • karieebokarieebo Posts: 24 Member
    > @carvernosam said:
    > Honestly, the fact that I have to post a certain amount of times and gain a certain amount of points so I can start a thread on a FORUM is ridiculous. What's the point of a forum if I can't actually make my own thread on it? And I can't necro threads either, not that I want to, but what if I can't find a relevant AND recent enough thread about something I want to talk about? Normally I'd just, you know, make said thread.
    >
    > Not being able to quote or send DMs is also ridiculous. It limits the types of interactions we can even have with other members.
    >
    > And I can't change my profile picture yet? Yet there's a badge, that gives points for changing it, points that I require to become a member so I can change it?
    >
    > I feel like I've been half-banned by the forums just for signing up.
    >
    > If there was a troll epidemic (that by the sounds of it was two years ago) then it's up to the mods to punish them and deal with that, not to punish innocent new users.

Yeah, I agree. The whole point system is a bit excessive. Also, I think that you need points JUST to change your profile picture - really annoying.
  • AyeffenAyeffen Posts: 258 Member
    I have to agree, it was quite frustrating. Luckily there are a number of game threads in OT which can help you get to the suitable post-count.

I haven't seen anything like this on previous incarnations of Sims forum however I am on another forum and there are bots and ads joining everyday and successfully posting so maybe it does well to deter that kind of behaviour.
    1NraNSJ.png
    My Gallery 🏠 | Gamer 🎮 | Husband 👬
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    Ayeffen wrote: »
    I have to agree, it was quite frustrating. Luckily there are a number of game threads in OT which can help you get to the suitable post-count.

I haven't seen anything like this on previous incarnations of Sims forum however I am on another forum and there are bots and ads joining everyday and successfully posting so maybe it does well to deter that kind of behaviour.

Before you had to have 50 points, and make 30 posts to become full member, now those required numbers are cut in half, so the frustration should be cut in half too.

I hope it does, and if it's also working to weed out the extremely impatiently angry/angrily impatient people before they gain full membership, that would be even better. :)
  • lilleefslilleefs Posts: 52 Member
    19 points and still trying to get the pre-requisites but it is a bit like finding needles in a haystack, it is understandable though. But I would love to join in on the build challenges ! :( Glad for this thread that explains how to progress though, thankyou !!
    edited October 2019
    lilleefs wrote: »
    19 points and still trying to get the pre-requisites but it is a bit like finding needles in a haystack, it is understandable though. But I would love to join in on the build challenges ! :( Glad for this thread that explains how to progress though, thankyou !!

Congrats on becoming a full member @lilleefs... ;)
  • lilleefslilleefs Posts: 52 Member
    hhhhhh you’re the best !!!! Thank you so much 😄 I’m so excited to begin my journey !! 😆😆
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    lilleefs wrote: »

Congrats on becoming a full member @lilleefs... ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top