Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 introducing "disabled sims"?

Comments

• EchovaEchova Posts: 144 Member
    I’m autistic, suffer from a congenital spinal deformity and I am half deaf.

Would I be interested in seeing deaf sims in game? Sure, it’d be neat for storytelling purposes. So could mute sims. Not being able to walk is a tricky thing though. Personally I don’t like being reminded of my disability and I play The Sims to escape reality as The Sims has never been realistic and never should be.

As for autism being represented in The Sims? Never and I can’t fathom why anyone would even think to suggest it. It’s socially crippling and in some cases physically as I have autistic catatonia. If you want to pretend your sims are autistic, great. Do it in your own game and don’t force it on mine.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I will also add while I am here that not every disability is visible

image4.jpg
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Echova Autism is varied so there is not one true stereotype and so again things like that are not suitable for The Sims as experiences for one person would be different to someone else which is why any form of 'disability' will not be easy to implement in The Sims.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2019
    I doubt it's hinting at disablities coming to TS4. It's more like why we would enter into an engineering tract, cyborgs. ETA: Robots are the future and so is having flesh mixed with machine for everyone. Right now Japan and China are way beyond the US and build very real looking human robots working in service jobs like at the airport ticket counter etc.

ETA: Search for Henn-na Hotel in Japan, all staff are humanoid robots. I can't link the site pictures because of political ads on it, but you can see robots are the future for all.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • gemjasgemjas Posts: 211 Member
    edited October 2019
    I'm autistic and have crippling anxiety to the point where I can't leave the house without one of my parents. It's miserable.

And my experiences are probably wildly different from anyone else with autism/anxiety/depression, because mental illness isn't a one size fits all type of deal. If the Sims were to implement it, they would not only rely almost entirely on stereotypes, but also gloss over the more unpleasant symptoms.

I mean, how would it even work? Will my sims start having panic attacks at random? Will they just get moodlets depending on the illness? Will they just be comically "quirky" so that everyone can have a laugh at the mentally ill sim?

Just no. Mental illness is complicated. It can not transfer over to a game like the Sims. If you want to pretend that your sim is mentally ill, go for it. There are even mods to help you out.

Physical disabilities, though? Maybe something like temporary broken bones that bound sims to wheelchairs/crutches for a bit. Or deafness/blindness, where sims can wear hearing aids or use canes. I can't really speak on it since I have no physical disabilities, but that might be doable. However, those disabilities are complex, too. The severity of each case differs just like mental illness, and someone will certainly be either unrepresented or misrepresented.

Which is why I don't think disabilities will ever be in any iteration of the Sims. Not real ones, anyway.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    gemjas wrote: »
    I'm autistic and have crippling anxiety to the point where I can't leave the house without one of my parents. It's miserable.

And my experiences are probably wildly different from anyone else with autism/anxiety/depression, because mental illness isn't a one size fits all type of deal. If the Sims were to implement it, they would not only rely almost entirely on stereotypes, but also gloss over the more unpleasant symptoms.

I mean, how would it even work? Will my sims start having panic attacks at random? Will they just get moodlets depending on the illness? Will they just be comically "quirky" so that everyone can have a laugh at the mentally ill sim?

Just no. Mental illness is complicated. It can not transfer over to a game like the Sims. If you want to pretend that your sim is mentally ill, go for it. There are even mods to help you out.

Physical disabilities, though? Maybe something like temporary broken bones that bound sims to wheelchairs/crutches for a bit. Or deafness/blindness, where sims can wear hearing aids or use canes. I can't really speak on it since I have no physical disabilities, but that might be doable. However, those disabilities are complex, too. The severity of each case differs just like mental illness, and someone will certainly be either unrepresented or misrepresented.

Which is why I don't think disabilities will ever be in any iteration of the Sims. Not real ones, anyway.

As someone with a mental illness I can relate so much to this. Invisible illness and disability is far too broad for them to even attempt to do. I don’t think it’s their place to do so and I would hate to see them try.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited October 2019
    I think they should just leave sensitive subjects out of the game all together and focus on gameplay, interactions and giving the sims more personality.

Same should think people when comes gender patch...
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Hey... See the day of the first post here. Is post University trailer. Then after see prosthetic limbs. Then talk about possible come of disability at this thread, obviously mean PHYSICAL disabilities. Nothing to do with autism and other neurology issues
  • gemjasgemjas Posts: 211 Member
    leo3487 wrote: »
    Hey... See the day of the first post here. Is post University trailer. Then after see prosthetic limbs. Then talk about possible come of disability at this thread, obviously mean PHYSICAL disabilities. Nothing to do with autism and other neurology issues

Re-read the first post. It literally mentions disabilities "from physical defects like missing a limb to mental disorders like autism."
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,427 Member
    gemjas wrote: »
    leo3487 wrote: »

Re-read the first post. It literally mentions disabilities "from physical defects like missing a limb to mental disorders like autism."
    You forgot the question mark.
  • Simlie20Simlie20 Posts: 59 Member
    I know it's been mentioned in the past that the team is open to disabilities. I wouldn't mind seeing physical disabilities at all, but I personally draw the line at mental disabilities. I really would hate to see my sims suffer from anxiety like I do. I play to get away from that sort of thing, not to constantly be reminded of it.
    doogerie wrote: »
    as a diabeld person i don't want disablatys in my game it plum every day is a struggel i play the sims to forget that aspect of my life why woud i wan't to be reminded of it i get enogth of that irl

I empathize with you and everyone that suffers from anxiety, depression, autism, and other mental/physical disabilities. A long time ago, I was very depressed, not suicidal, but just depressed, and thankfully with strong support from friends and family, I got over my depression. However, I never really thought about the Sims 4 from your perspective, a safe haven from real-life problems. For me, it's a fun game that I play from time to time where I can explore different storylines. But you know what? Y'all are right, there is no right reason or way to play the game. Everyone plays the game like they want to, some for the fun of it, others do it as a career and others to escape their demons.
    Disability in The Sims might be welcome but how could it be done respectfully?

That's a good question. If they are gonna represent something, put effort into it. They took more than 4 years just to add hijabs, and that's about it when it comes to Muslim representation. I think EA tries to keep their game very neutral: your sims don't really have a gender preference, you can make your male sims get pregnant and your female sims through CAS (transgender sims?), there is no religious aspect or cultural aspect outside of traditional clothing. Bullyism in the sims is also very minimal, I think sometimes your children will get a pop up saying "I'm getting bullied what should I do?" (Parenthood DLC)

This thread is very enlightening and eye-opening. This topic is delicate and raw, and I feel like it's never talked about, but I can understand why now. I love how broad, open-minded and respectful this community is: so many people with different stories, different backgrounds joined in one place to play a game we all love and enjoy, regardless of the countless bugs that occur in the game.

Anyway, if those are robotic arms are inventions, then is EA hinting at a possible futuristic pack? We'll just have to see what the future has in store for us.

giphy.gif
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I personally wouldn't mind a few. Missing limbs, wheelchairs, and a few more. Maybe a store that sells wheelchairs, canes for elders or hurt Sims, and medicine. Hate getting meds online. Would rather have a store to pick them up at as well as vitamins to keep Sims healthy. Maybe also a physical therapy place.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited October 2019
    Prosthetic limbs would avoid to break all the interactions.

Wheelchairs would be a nightmare for the development. How to take a shower ? How to hug ? How to kiss ?
    It's a whole game to develop from scratch.

And another question : How the sims are disabled ? Randomly at the birth ? By accident ?

• doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    Echova wrote: »
    Personally I don’t like being reminded of my disability .
    I feel you brother what annoys me is that some people my brother included love to talk about there disabilities and my dad loves ti talk about my disability and I try to forget it exists I would like to go one day where nobody talks about the mod that would be lovely what’s worth it’s like dad tells everyone he meets.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited October 2019
    I've noticed that most of the people with a disability do not want this in the game. We play the game to escape. We already deal with it in real life and it's NOT FUN. People that aren't forced to deal with it daily are the ones pushing it. (Seems like in this thread). While they are trying to be inclusive and thoughtful, it's just that you're missing the mark and not actually listening to us. "We don't want that" "Oh but it's shiny, here take it" "What part of no didn't you understand?" Just because it makes YOU feel better to be seen to be inclusive? *sighs* We don't want to be included in this way. Making the game fun and accessible for all is what makes it inclusive, regardless of the content included or excluded. Maybe a toggle or something (as was previously mentioned) for some things in the future to get those people who really want to go through with this. Maybe there's some disabled person out there who does want this included. Maybe I've missed the mark, but the message I'm seeing here is a resounding no from the very people you're so nicely trying to include.

Sims is supposed to be fun and quirky. I'd like for them to stay that way and not be reminded while I play.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • DcD2510DcD2510 Posts: 646 Member
    I would rather see Disabilities and Neurodiversity built into a possible Sims 5.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    It’s not actually a robotic limb as you can see her arm underneath it...
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    It’s not actually a robotic limb as you can see her arm underneath it...

It could be an assist for an arm that has muscle limitations and the contraption makes the arm work. Disabled is more than missing, it can mean useless too.
  • mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    I think disabilites, gender and all pc issues should be left out of the game.
    They bring only problems and resentment as people will always have different views.
    Sims used to just be a fun game but Sims 4 has become more like a way of controlling what people should think, say and do.
    The sims used to be fun when it was more adult but now I am bored with it and am not playing it half as much as I used to..
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited November 2019
    Honestly its a huge can of worms that doesn't need opening. I personally am entirely neutral to the idea of disabled sims, and if we ever did get them I don't see myself rooting for or against the team for the inclusion.

Really, there is going to be a huge amount of players not happy with whatever content is out. In one corner you'll have players claiming "since disabled people are only 0.00000000000000001% of the population, this is obvious pandering and is somehow politics."
    In another corner you'll have players saying "well why didnt my disability get included? I feel as though my existence is being erased! The Sims team obviously did a horrible job researching disabilities."
    And in yet another corner, "I have disabilities in real life and I dont want to be reminded of them ingame! I dont want this kind of representation!"

They could present disabilities in the most respectful way possible, even donating a million dollars to some organization, and its still going to result in a massive poopstorm.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    edited November 2019
    For once I'm a differently-able woman who actually *wants* the ability to have differently-abled sims in the Sims. I only play the game so I can live someplace else (and have a love life) that I can't have in real life because of how my parents are too over protective.

I can actually speak about what Grant had said in the past (2 years ago I believe) about the topic. 1)mental illness would be included but it wouldn't be traits. 2)stairs would turn into a ramp-escalator for sims with wheelchairs, 3)wheelchairs would be for all ages not restricted to a certain age group 4)SSL (Simish Sign Language) 5)They want disabled simmers to talk to them about our disabilities 6) they had some problem I don't know what it was and they had to consult with some simmers who use wheelchairs and they were able to fix it. 7)it would be a patch not a pack of any kind 8)He kind of was silent about how would a sim become disabled.

[url=" https://simsvip.com/2018/09/17/maxis-actively-pondering-disabilities-for-the-sims-4/"] https://simsvip.com/2018/09/17/maxis-actively-pondering-disabilities-for-the-sims-4/[/url]

I just know that those of us who are disabled and actually do want disabilities in the sims (and I know there had been people in the past who would like this option as well not just me just look at the people who actually liked it on the twitter page from Sept of 2018) would just like the option of creating the sim in Create-a-Sim sure there would need to be supports for them in the sims "real world" like the ramp-escalator for instance. I was THRILLED when they included a tooth option similar to what I have and I doubt they ever heard of my very rare condition

But here's an idea for disabilities in the Sims 5 pre-Pets EP for a blind (or other disabled sim) being able to call a centre of sorts and hire a kind of "human guide" and then when we gets pets a disabled sim could get a service dog/cat/mini pony. Non-differently able sims would be able to be um what it called "puppy families"?

PS.. please don't ask us to download a mod without wheels or without it being already programmed into the game wheelchairs CC don't work !! Not to mention how annoying it is for non-CC in-game glasses to turn into contacts when your simself go to work!!
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    I know it's been mentioned in the past that the team is open to disabilities. I wouldn't mind seeing physical disabilties at all, but I personally draw the line at mental disabilities. I really would hate to see my sims suffer from anxiety like I do. I play to get away from that sort of thing, not to constantly be reminded of it.

100% agree. I also fail to see how it could feasibly be done. Take Autism for example. There are SOO many different types of autism, how do you realistically represent it? No one person with autism acts the same as another. Same with ADHD, Depression, anxiety etc.

I get claustrophobic when sitting on the inside of restaurant booths, but other areas like elevators, planes, etc do not effect me at all.

Plus,I just don't want mental illnesses in my game. It's not a fun concept for me. I also don't even see how they could do it when they had to change the insane trait because it was too offensive.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    Personally I'd like the option to have disabilities in my game. I feel like every time I make a sim of myself she's ok but, 1) I have a little bit of a limp due to a leg problem I have and 2) I have a mild learning disability (it's a form of dyslexia is the short version)... also maybe ADHD but never got diagnosed so I'm not entirely sure what it is.

Point is, i'd like to be able to pick some kind of traits sets/walk styles that reflect who I am. Like my sims are always too outgoing and consistent, they don't get distracted from their tasks easily, and they don't walk with a limp. Even if I'm not talking specifically about making my simself, I'd like the option to be able to make sims like the people I know, or make my sims more diverse.

They don't even need to start big, maybe have wheelchairs, prosthetic limbs, blind sims, deaf sims, and sims that are unable to speak added. The blind sims could use walking canes, if you have pets you could train a seeing eye pet, and sign language could be added for sims who are deaf and/or unable to speak. There could even be an option for other sims to learn sign language to communicate with these sims.

Side point; it also makes me super uncomfortable to hear others say things like "I don't want to think about this, it shouldn't be in the game", I understand this. But I feel like it should be an option. You should be able to make a sim with a disability in CAS if they are added.
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Personally I'd like the option to have disabilities in my game. I feel like every time I make a sim of myself she's ok but, 1) I have a little bit of a limp due to a leg problem I have and 2) I have a mild learning disability (it's a form of dyslexia is the short version)... also maybe ADHD but never got diagnosed so I'm not entirely sure what it is.

Point is, i'd like to be able to pick some kind of traits sets/walk styles that reflect who I am. Like my sims are always too outgoing and consistent, they don't get distracted from their tasks easily, and they don't walk with a limp. Even if I'm not talking specifically about making my simself, I'd like the option to be able to make sims like the people I know, or make my sims more diverse.

They don't even need to start big, maybe have wheelchairs, prosthetic limbs, blind sims, deaf sims, and sims that are unable to speak added. The blind sims could use walking canes, if you have pets you could train a seeing eye pet, and sign language could be added for sims who are deaf and/or unable to speak. There could even be an option for other sims to learn sign language to communicate with these sims.

Side point; it also makes me super uncomfortable to hear others say things like "I don't want to think about this, it shouldn't be in the game", I understand this. But I feel like it should be an option. You should be able to make a sim with a disability in CAS if they are added.

To be fair though, it is usually a person with some sort of disability or illness saying this. (Myself included) Because some of us (myself included) play the game to relax, unwind and forget. Not re-live the struggle of our daily existence. We aren't saying it out of a place of hate, we are saying it out of a place where we just want to be something else for awhile. A fantasy. Being "normal" and not having to worry about what ever is ailing us. Have some good old light hearted silly sims fun. It's not that we are trying to forget these people exists or shun them, it's just that some of us are those people and we don't want to be reminded while we relax is all. It shouldn't make you uncomfortable that I want to escape me for a few hours just as it doesn't make me uncomfortable that you want to have yourself represented better.

I just don't trust them to do this right either, it will always 🐸🐸🐸🐸 someone off how it's done so it's better to just leave it as is. Someone will be left out and sad, some with be included and be sad. It's a situation they will never win.
    Origin ID: Peapod79