Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 introducing "disabled sims"?

I watched the University trailer, and I was very puzzled when I saw people wearing robotic arms. I thought did the sims 4 just hint at the addition of prosthetic arms, therefore sims missing limbs??? Or even other types of disabled sims? Soon after, this idea was thrown in the bin: apparently your sims will be able to create robots, dismantle them and even wear their inventions if they are part of the robotics club. However, the question remains...do you think Sims 4 or any future iteration of the franchise will ever introduce the concept of disabled sims? From physical defects like missing a limb to mental disorders like autism? Or is that too "intense" for the younger audience? I personally think it's not because a lot of children suffer from mental and physical disorders and the game should represent that aspect of life too and raise awareness.
giphy.gif

Comments

• SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    edited October 2019
    original-1.jpg

I think that with university your sims will have the ability to have some robotic limbs. Look at the pic above, the girl have robotic fingers so it does seem like she can use the robot-arm like a regular arm. However, I think this will be something you equip in CAS and that you can remove again if you want your sim to have their regular arm. I do not think that they will make new animations for sims missing arms or legs.

This is just me guessing but animations are at a premium and kids are unable to do so many things. I think this will give the sims the look of a disabled sim but still keep the animations of a regular sim and then it is up to the simmers in their stories as they want to.

tumblr_pjwjtdM6X11xzesdfo1_500.jpg

I am just guessing here but then it would function like a piece of CC that a modder has done. The skeletal-arm can be equipped and removed in CAS easily and looks great. I could see these arms working the same way but as I say, I am just guessing.

https://pinkpatchy.tumblr.com/post/181207119947/skelly-top-this-really-fits-in-with-the-christmas
  • AyeffenAyeffen Posts: 258 Member
    edited October 2019
    This is a very delicate issue I was discussing with @Maus652 yesterday actually.

Whilst diversity of any kind in The Sims would do wonders for those that want to see elements of themselves represented on-screen, I have some reservations about this.

In terms of creating Sims, whilst many would very sensitively chosen, there are those that would think more superficially and create a child with, for instance, downs syndrome because "it's cute".

Also would that mean that Sims born into the game have a procedural chance of being born with a physical or neurological disability? I think giving players the choice to give or to take away would be wrong, in this case.

There are also a whole bunch of extra pressures that an individual with additional-needs in real life would encounter that wouldn't fit into what is meant to be, a light-hearted and creative game.

So in answer to one of the original questions:
    Simlie20 wrote: »
    Or is that too "intense" for the younger audience?

I would say yes.

I don't think we're looking at "robot arms" here at all. I think in Discover University, they are looking at elements of bionics which are becoming more and more of a reality in the world today. Mechanised clothing or prosthesis which enhances human physiology whether it's to address a deficiency or enhance an able-bodied persons abilities.

https://youtu.be/2UHCG4dLXOU?t=81

This is a really good example.
    1NraNSJ.png
    My Gallery 🏠 | Gamer 🎮 | Husband 👬
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I don't think it's a case of it being too intense for audiences (of any ages, really). It's more, as @Ayeffen pointed out, a case of making sure that IF it's done, it's done right. It's absolutely a topic and theme within the game that needs to be approached with caution so it doesn't just end up being a gimmick.

It would also be a massive change to the game as such. Wheelchairs, accessibility, animations for interactions and movement, related objects in build mode, CAS redesign. The question of how to implement the possible genetic side to it. And then, which disabilities should and shouldn't (could and couldn't too) be included.

Personally, I don't think we'll see them in this version. A future one? Possibly.

(for what it's worth, I think maybe it's not the younger players that'd find it too intense)
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    original-1.jpg

I think that with university your sims will have the ability to have some robotic limbs. Look at the pic above, the girl have robotic fingers so it does seem like she can use the robot-arm like a regular arm. However, I think this will be something you equip in CAS and that you can remove again if you want your sim to have their regular arm. I do not think that they will make new animations for sims missing arms or legs.

This is just me guessing but animations are at a premium and kids are unable to do so many things. I think this will give the sims the look of a disabled sim but still keep the animations of a regular sim and then it is up to the simmers in their stories as they want to.

I am just guessing here but then it would function like a piece of CC that a modder has done. The skeletal-arm can be equipped and removed in CAS easily and looks great. I could see these arms working the same way but as I say, I am just guessing.

https://pinkpatchy.tumblr.com/post/181207119947/skelly-top-this-really-fits-in-with-the-christmas

I think this might be an option in CAS, to give a sim the appearance of having a disability. I think, unlike a glove, it replaces the sims arm with a prosthetic one. I think the shoulder straps tell us it's not just a "glove" but a prosthetic for the sim. If you look to the top of the bookcase, you'll see what looks like an older version of the same prosthetic arm. Maybe she made or got an upgrade at Uni.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Disability in The Sims might be welcome but how could it be done respectfully?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    original-1.jpg

I think this might be an option in CAS, to give a sim the appearance of having a disability. I think, unlike a glove, it replaces the sims arm with a prosthetic one. I think the shoulder straps tell us it's not just a "glove" but a prosthetic for the sim. If you look to the top of the bookcase, you'll see what looks like an older version of the same prosthetic arm. Maybe she made or got an upgrade at Uni.

If there is a possibility to equip it somehow and removing it then that is absolutely how I would use it. Being able to have a sim with a story of missing an arm or an leg would be great, an absolute sellingpoint as far as I am concerned.

Hmm... had no idea that that could be too intense. I cannot just see the problem with a person missing an arm and getting a replacement if one is needed. Oh well, even if that isn't how the game sees it I have plenty of imagination and can let my sims have those stories.
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    original-1.jpg

If there is a possibility to equip it somehow and removing it then that is absolutely how I would use it. Being able to have a sim with a story of missing an arm or an leg would be great, an absolute sellingpoint as far as I am concerned.

Hmm... had no idea that that could be too intense. I cannot just see the problem with a person missing an arm and getting a replacement if one is needed. Oh well, even if that isn't how the game sees it I have plenty of imagination and can let my sims have those stories.

I wasn't so much thinking that the arm could/would ever be taken off. I don't see a sim missing any limbs in this version of the game, especially at such a late date in it's run. Maybe if it is added in S5 from the start, some cool things could be done. I was thinking that in CAS, like with occults, you decide if your sim will always have a prosthetic arm or not so it permanently replaces it. This could be a test for S5.
  • revgrvrevgrv Posts: 225 Member
    I could go on a lengthy, vociferous diatribe about this but I'll try and contain myself.

As someone with a disability I can appreciate the sincerity with which people raise concerns of how exactly representation would manifest but at the same time I feel compelled to point out that this, somewhat paternalistic, sincerity results in the exact same thing as people who whine about any kind of representation, namely: maintaining the status quo.

Whether you are actively opposed to the inclusion of disabled people (tick the box that applies: PC/ebul SJWs, it's 'too real', it makes me uncomfortable, I don't want disabled people in my game etc. Seriously TRY applying that strain of reasoning to the broad representation of the LGBT, non-white or religious minorities in the sims and see how quickly you get banned. WHY is it allowed for people with disabilities?) or you raise the passive concern of exactly how it would manifest and whether it would be respectful enough without offering any meaningful insight or idea of what your interpretation of respectfully enough would look - both parties are enforcing an absence.

I happen to be of the mind that any kind of representation, even the most milquetoast, that isn't actively offensive or reinforcing of negative stereotypes is preferable to the alternative which is always none at all. Disabled people are the only minority which don't get active, visible consideration of the importance of their representation in contemporary media and a big part of that is because it's evidently entirely fine to just say you would prefer not to be reminded of their existence in your ~leisure time~ or because sincere yet misguided people end up thinking themselves in a loop of "Yes but is it RESPECTFUL enough?"

Now I have no clue what is actually up with these robotic limbs. I've seen some people say that they're just clothing items that you apply on top of your sims arm or w/e and you can see their arm underneath it. I think that's most likely what this is so I'm not holding my breath. If it's a CAS item that makes it look like a legitimate prosthetic it'll only be meaningful if it can be paired with every outfit. Choosing to replace a limb with a robotic one would be a slightly adjacent discussion, maybe more transhumanism than disability, but I'll take it. I also don't think it's immensely meaningful to introduce disability if your method for doing it immediately elides the tangible consequences of that disability (ie you can roleplay someone who lost their dominant hand but challenges that would theoretically represent immediately vanish because ROBOT HAND).

Regardless, I realize the dev team can't be expected to create an entirely new set of animations. It's something. Maybe.
    &PHgr;
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    Looks more like a sleeve. You can see in the above screenshot that the Sim is wearing it over her real arm (judging by how her shirt sleeve is visible beneath it, look at the elbow area) and the shelf behind her displays the robotic sleeve when it's removed. You can see from that one how one's real arm would slot inside it, with the hand at the end functioning like a glove.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
    @revgrv
    Thank you for your insight.

I'm one of the people who's expressed concerns about inclusion of disabilities.
    Part of it is because at the moment it would require massive changes to the existing game so I can't see anything major happening. I would still love if there was *something*.

I'd love if with the next installment, the team went into it planning for the inclusion of disabilities. I'm bummed that they didn't for TS4, honestly. My concern is less "would it be respectful enough" and more "please don't make this kind of representation a joke". When (I think it's inevitable that it will happen at one point) it happens, I do hope they talk to people like you, rather than assume what should or shouldn't be in the game.

For what it's worth, I am really glad there's representation for the LGBT+ community. But even so, there are things that can and should be done better, without taking away what's there. And hopefully, the devs will also start somewhere with disabilities and then built on that.

(side note: I acknowledge that it would make some people uncomfortable & there would be cries of "I don't want this in my game". Regardless, as with LGBT+, I think it all should be a part of the Sims. But yes, there will always be people against inclusion.)
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I don't want disabilities in my game. I play to forget and I'm quite happy that I'm NOT represented here. Furthermore, will it be respectful? This is supposed to be fun and silly. How do you disable someone and it's funny? To raise awareness? This is a GAME. First and foremost. There is a time and place for things like that and a game is not it. There are plenty of real life groups raising awareness and it should be kept to those functions. Now if they wanted to raise awareness by say putting proceeds from a sale of an ep to a cause, then ok, that's actually doing something to help. This "game" has enough propaganda now and I really would be offended if it was in the game because I know they wouldn't get it quite right. Where would you draw the line anyways? There is so many disabilities out there and you can't possibly include them all. You know people would abuse them, (I abuse my able bodied sims! ha!) and I don't think I'd feel good about that.

I know people are trying to be sensitive, but from a stand point who is on the other side, sometimes your sensitivity is too much, we want to feel included, not held on a pedestal and pointed out for being different (even if it's meant well). Being included sometimes means to not take a notice and just go about your day so I can go about mine without feeling out of place.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
    edited October 2019

(side note: I acknowledge that it would make some people uncomfortable & there would be cries of "I don't want this in my game". Regardless, as with LGBT+, I think it all should be a part of the Sims. But yes, there will always be people against inclusion.)

For me it's not about being against inclusion, it's about forgetting my own life for a few hours and living one where I can do things that I can't do IRL. My RL day is not that much fun, it's actually quite a hassle and sometimes a downright struggle, and I most definitely don't want to relive it in the sims. To say I'm against inclusion because I don't want that in my game is kind of unfair. I'm not against inclusion, I just don't see a need to do that in my game when I have to live it daily, and it's not really that fun for me. Having to deal with it a game would make it worse for me I think. Actually, I wouldn't deal with it in a game. It takes up 80% of my day as is, so if it was in my game too, I'd just find another game.
    Camkat wrote: »

For me it's not about being against inclusion, it's about forgetting my own life for a few hours and living one where I can do things that I can't do IRL. My RL day is not that much fun, it's actually quite a hassle and sometimes a downright struggle, and I most definitely don't want to relive it in the sims. To say I'm against inclusion because I don't want that in my game is kind of unfair. I'm not against inclusion, I just don't see a need to do that in my game when I have to live it daily, and it's not really that fun for me. Having to deal with it a game would make it worse for me I think. Actually, I wouldn't deal with it in a game. It takes up 80% of my day as is, so if it was in my game too, I'd just find another game.

Not the type of reasoning I meant.
    I meant people who I've seen on here rally against inclusion because it's "propaganda" and PC culture and all those reasons. Along with "I want to forget these people exist IRL" from those who are not disabled.

I absolutely understand your reasoning and it's completely valid. The type of people I meant are the ones who think inclusivity is ruining the core of the game/gameplay.

I'd personally love to see everything from LGBT+ to disability be an option in the game. But that's it, option. People already mod out parts they don't want or like (reasons and my objections to some of them are besides the point in this). For some players, realism in the game is absolutely a key and having that possibility (but one that players like you could opt out of) would be great, imo.
    But then again, there's also a group of players who tend to be opposed to "options". Small group, but noticeable enough that I know that suggesting an option can be seen as a bad thing.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I don't want disabilities in my game. I play to forget and I'm quite happy that I'm NOT represented here. Furthermore, will it be respectful? This is supposed to be fun and silly. How do you disable someone and it's funny? To raise awareness? This is a GAME. First and foremost. There is a time and place for things like that and a game is not it. There are plenty of real life groups raising awareness and it should be kept to those functions. Now if they wanted to raise awareness by say putting proceeds from a sale of an ep to a cause, then ok, that's actually doing something to help. This "game" has enough propaganda now and I really would be offended if it was in the game because I know they wouldn't get it quite right. Where would you draw the line anyways? There is so many disabilities out there and you can't possibly include them all. You know people would abuse them, (I abuse my able bodied sims! ha!) and I don't think I'd feel good about that.

I know people are trying to be sensitive, but from a stand point who is on the other side, sometimes your sensitivity is too much, we want to feel included, not held on a pedestal and pointed out for being different (even if it's meant well). Being included sometimes means to not take a notice and just go about your day so I can go about mine without feeling out of place.

I agree with this. I have a long term health condition that severely impacts my life and what I can and cannot do, the struggle of accepting it’s something I will always have is hard. I would not want this in my game. For me the joy of gaming is transporting myself to another world for a few hours where I can forget real life. I play to escape, not to make sim self versions of me and have them live better lives than I do. That to me is very depressing.

I know lots of people don’t agree with that, and that’s okay. We are all different. But I don’t believe EA would portray disabilities accurately. I think it would be border line offensive. I find it very offensive when I see some youtubers use my illness in let’s plays. It’s usually handled very badly and I’m uncomfortable with it being used as a form of entertainment, especially when it’s portrayed very badly.
    I agree, this is not EA’s place to teach people about disabilities or raise awareness. This is a game. (Supposedly) If I know EA it would be handled very lazily. “Oh look we can make this sim non binary”

Actual reality is the non binary sim acts the exact same way all the other sims do, it’s a label and nothing more with no depth whatsoever.

I have no problem with people disagreeing and wanting to see disabilities added, people are entitled to feel how they feel. Sim Guru Frost said this year the game is a safe space where we can all learn and grow. Based on that statement, it would not surprise me happens. That seems to be their main aim these days, jumping on bandwagons so they can make a song and dance about how inclusive they are on political and social issues. Newsflash EA: The Sims Franchise has always been inclusive, for twenty years you didn’t need to make a song and dance about inclusiveness; you just did it.

Not the type of reasoning I meant.
    I meant people who I've seen on here rally against inclusion because it's "propaganda" and PC culture and all those reasons. Along with "I want to forget these people exist IRL" from those who are not disabled.

I absolutely understand your reasoning and it's completely valid. The type of people I meant are the ones who think inclusivity is ruining the core of the game/gameplay.

I'd personally love to see everything from LGBT+ to disability be an option in the game. But that's it, option. People already mod out parts they don't want or like (reasons and my objections to some of them are besides the point in this). For some players, realism in the game is absolutely a key and having that possibility (but one that players like you could opt out of) would be great, imo.
    But then again, there's also a group of players who tend to be opposed to "options". Small group, but noticeable enough that I know that suggesting an option can be seen as a bad thing.

Thank you so much for this.

I can agree I think that the option could be nice. It would suit both sides if it could be turned off. I would be 100% fine with that. But again, only if they did it properly. I'm not sure how to describe "properly", but unoffensive for sure. It's definitely something that would NOT be an easy task and I'm not convinced the sims team can pull it off. Let's say they could though, then I would be ok with it as long as I could just turn it off.

revgrv wrote: »
    I could go on a lengthy, vociferous diatribe about this but I'll try and contain myself.

As someone with a disability I can appreciate the sincerity with which people raise concerns of how exactly representation would manifest but at the same time I feel compelled to point out that this, somewhat paternalistic, sincerity results in the exact same thing as people who whine about any kind of representation, namely: maintaining the status quo.

Whether you are actively opposed to the inclusion of disabled people (tick the box that applies: PC/ebul SJWs, it's 'too real', it makes me uncomfortable, I don't want disabled people in my game etc. Seriously TRY applying that strain of reasoning to the broad representation of the LGBT, non-white or religious minorities in the sims and see how quickly you get banned. WHY is it allowed for people with disabilities?) or you raise the passive concern of exactly how it would manifest and whether it would be respectful enough without offering any meaningful insight or idea of what your interpretation of respectfully enough would look - both parties are enforcing an absence.

I happen to be of the mind that any kind of representation, even the most milquetoast, that isn't actively offensive or reinforcing of negative stereotypes is preferable to the alternative which is always none at all. Disabled people are the only minority which don't get active, visible consideration of the importance of their representation in contemporary media and a big part of that is because it's evidently entirely fine to just say you would prefer not to be reminded of their existence in your ~leisure time~ or because sincere yet misguided people end up thinking themselves in a loop of "Yes but is it RESPECTFUL enough?"

Now I have no clue what is actually up with these robotic limbs. I've seen some people say that they're just clothing items that you apply on top of your sims arm or w/e and you can see their arm underneath it. I think that's most likely what this is so I'm not holding my breath. If it's a CAS item that makes it look like a legitimate prosthetic it'll only be meaningful if it can be paired with every outfit. Choosing to replace a limb with a robotic one would be a slightly adjacent discussion, maybe more transhumanism than disability, but I'll take it. I also don't think it's immensely meaningful to introduce disability if your method for doing it immediately elides the tangible consequences of that disability (ie you can roleplay someone who lost their dominant hand but challenges that would theoretically represent immediately vanish because ROBOT HAND).

Regardless, I realize the dev team can't be expected to create an entirely new set of animations. It's something. Maybe.

The robot-arm does look like a sleve that goes over the arm and it has been combined with two different tops so far. Perhaps it will be able to be used with every outfit. I hope that there will be an option that is not a sleve but a completely-robotic-arm but otherwise I will keep my fingers crossed for CC.

I really don't think that there will be any kind of difference in animations so my guess is that it would be for roleplaying. There are cheats to make a right-handed sim be left-handed, may a sim would favor the robotic arm or the other way around.

Hmm... if this is an outfit that a player have to actively chose in order to give their sim the appearance of having a prosthetic limb then I don't see how this could be intrusive. Nothing will change with how the sims acts or moves, it is just for apperance and roleplaying. Agree, it would be much better if there could be some special animations with it but I don't see that coming.

I would at least like the appearance for roleplaying.
  • rhaliusrhalius Posts: 446 Member
    I think they could work in some disabilities, but it's best done from the start in sims 5 perhaps. Some stuff I personally think they could do:

-Selection screen of several physical disabilities.
    Just have to consider what would be possible in gameplay, and you could turn the option on or off that some accidents could cause a sim to have these disabilities depending on what they do.

-Walk with limp.
    These sims walk with a limp, they can't run, use the threadmill but can swim even though it's not fast. They can use a cane to walk easier. Cane's have been in sims 3 I think, would be a nice return and a function. Those that aren't limp could also use a cane for style. They can't join jobs that would involve running.

-Unable to walk.
    Reason would be unspecified, these sims just can't use their legs so require a wheelchair. Only these sims and those with a limp can use wheelchairs, other sims aren't allowed to use them. Some accidents could give a sim this condition temporary.

-Deaf.
    These sims won't respond to sound. For convenience sake they do lipread so can understand other sims in conversation. But they don't hear music, barking dogs, a fire alarm or anything like that. They'll sleep through any noise, for better or worse.

-Mute.
    Mute sims use sign language to talk, which for sims could show some interesting phantomime, inspired by the likes of Charlie Chaplin and Harpo Marx. They are sims after all. They can't call sims over and obviously can't become a singer.

-Blind.
    Blind sims require a cane to walk around by themselves without bumping into things, they can be guided by another sim if they don't have a cane. When there's pets, blind sims can have a helper dog.

An expansion that adds cybernetics could prove a cool solution to all these things too, should a sim wish it.

As for mental disabilities, I feel like traits can represent that without being called exactly that. If you make a sim squeamish, perfectionist and a loner, that would represent autism pretty well. If traits actually did anything in sims 4.
    We just need a lot more traits and be able to have more at once to make proper sims again.

• SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Simlie20 wrote: »
    do you think Sims 4 or any future iteration of the franchise will ever introduce the concept of disabled sims? From physical defects like missing a limb to mental disorders like autism? Or is that too "intense" for the younger audience? I personally think it's not because a lot of children suffer from mental and physical disorders and the game should represent that aspect of life too and raise awareness.

They are indeed considering it. I saw the discussion particularly in the context of autism spectrum, and the concern is whether they could portray it in a meaningful way without treating it as humorous or in an otherwise disrespectful or inappropriate manner. They are not concerned that it is too adult or challenging for the age rating, so much as they are aware that, if they do it, it needs to be approached with genuine understanding.
  • doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    as a diabeld person i don't want disablatys in my game it sucks every day is a struggel i play the sims to forget that aspect of my life why woud i wan't to be reminded of it i get enogth of that irl
    I think the "arm" can be thought of, by the player, in one of two ways: as a robotic help to your sims arm or as a replacement for the lack of having an arm. It would seem to be up to the individual player to tell the story they want to tell.

For me, the same can be said of the exo-skeleton. It could be a fun mechanical addition to your inventor sim or seen as a futuristic way to help a disabled sim walk.

The story is yours to tell however you want to tell it.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    rhalius wrote: »

As for mental disabilities, I feel like traits can represent that without being called exactly that. If you make a sim squeamish, perfectionist and a loner, that would represent autism pretty well. If traits actually did anything in sims 4.
    We just need a lot more traits and be able to have more at once to make proper sims again.

I don't think squeamish works as it applies to bugs. My son loved bugs growing up. They were his "friends". It is more human touch that he dislikes, especially holding hands and hugs.

And it is not so much perfectionism as it exists in game as it is an all or nothing approach to his interests. When he wanted to draw, that's all he did. When he was done with it, he almost never did it again except when called for by school. And then it was minimal effort unlike the near perfect drawings he did earlier.

But the loner trait is pretty accurate. Also the distant trait that teens sometimes get in Parenthood. He gets that way sometimes with family. It I can be off and on like that too.

I think the hardest thing about portraying autism in game is that it affects different individuals differently. Because they are individuals.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I think they should just leave sensitive subjects out of the game all together and focus on gameplay, interactions and giving the sims more personality.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    I think they should just leave sensitive subjects out of the game all together and focus on gameplay, interactions and giving the sims more personality.

This.

The Sims 4 can barely portray neurotypical people, so I don't have much faith for it portraying differently abled people.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif