Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only Discover University complaining thread!

Comments

• KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    omg, I didn't even think about if we send our Sims upstairs in a dorm we may have to go through a loading screen. :s Because Grant explained apartments on different levels were actually separate 'worlds' and why we can't build an apartment building. Will the same thing happen for dorms? and the dorm room on the second floor would require a loading screen? Wow, I hope not, but it seems that may be true or I think they would have shown such a new feature for TS4 if it were true and no loading screens between dorm levels. Way back when they were building this game (engineers) why didn't they think so far ahead like they did in TS2 and TS3. I just don't understand why TS4 is more like a browser game, and or has more in common with old technology like TS1 than it does with the later iterations that took leaps and bounds with possibilties. Not being possible to build our own is bad enough, but good grief a loading screen upstairs or even next door room would be even worse. :o Let it die EA, let it die, before it becomes one big joke....of what not to do with a game, like The Sims.

I agree so much~

• Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    telemwill wrote: »
    I am just disappointed that neither school has a llama mascot.

Kind of the same. ;)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    kaylin205 wrote: »
    YAY ANOTHER PARTY GAME PACK!!! With more items to party with. Should give us four hours of fun. Just why, Why is this a thing? (I already know the sad but yet annoying answer)

I envision teens graduating high school, touring colleges with their parents, then going off on their own to that college. While parents are telling them to focus on their studies, not to party to much or at all. Without high school graduation is there even a point to going to college? Where is the reward for completing life milestones? As a life simulation there should be a point to implement all of this. Sports are a huge part of school, it's not included. Bands are also a big part, also not included. But hey they gave us a debate setup that is reused from the political career.

No bands?! what? Yet again, CL could have added bands since many urbans band would have made sense in that pack. Colleges always have some band...Fame pack should have added bands..sigh, but only one darn career in a fame pack....and wasn't it an EP, too?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • 2fab4uboo2fab4uboo Posts: 47 Member
    omg, I didn't even think about if we send our Sims upstairs in a dorm we may have to go through a loading screen. :s Because Grant explained apartments on different levels were actually separate 'worlds' and why we can't build an apartment building. Will the same thing happen for dorms? and the dorm room on the second floor would require a loading screen? Wow, I hope not, but it seems that may be true or I think they would have shown such a new feature for TS4 if it were true and no loading screens between dorm levels. Way back when they were building this game (engineers) why didn't they think so far ahead like they did in TS2 and TS3. I just don't understand why TS4 is more like a browser game, and or has more in common with old technology like TS1 than it does with the later iterations that took leaps and bounds with possibilities. Not being possible to build our own is bad enough, but good grief a loading screen upstairs or even next door room would be even worse. :o Let it die EA, let it die, before it becomes one big joke....of what not to do with a game, like The Sims.

You know what, I won't be surprised if dorms are one level, and just a house with some bedrooms and no locking doors. That way there wouldn't be any need for a loading screen...surprise me Maxis, it's five years now, and I have yet to see any new innovation for TS4 after release.

I don't even want to think about it, pretty Sims, pretty world, bright colors doesn't amaze me. I'm too old for shenanigans.

IIRC TS4 was originally supposed to be a online game but that idea was scrapped at the last minute and that's why the game engine is the way it is. This has of course has never been confirmed by EA, but it makes a lot of sense. I know that EA has it's faults (lots and lots of faults), but I can't see them intentionally starting TS4 several steps behind it's previous predecessors. It makes me wonder what the game could have been if EA hadn't of tried to make it an online game. You think they would have learned their lesson with the sims online and sim city. If there is TS5 I hope they don't try to make it an online game, but at this point I don't hold out much hope for TS5 being made and if it is I don't hold out much hope for it being any better than TS4.

• MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I’ve saw a few trailer “reactions” now and people discussing the game in general. One thing that did strike me is that EVERYONE lost their heads over a toilet cubicle. A toilet. Is this how easily pleased we are that we get excited for toilets?? In a pack about university?
    There is something strange about that cubicle. It seems gappy. I don't recall previous versions having a gappy cubicle. Are they intentionally aiming for the 'america is creepy' stereotype for toilets?

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Look at all the features:

https://youtu.be/0w7hU7gAe00

Then look at this:

https://youtu.be/VtPy-71fkSc

Worlds apart.

Sims 4 trailer looks so empty. My Husband who isn’t a simmer saw the sims 4 one and immediately asked where all the game play is.

Almost all of the "extras" in TS3 uni we already have in CL, the bowling pack and GT. TS4 university seems to have bikes (something TS3 base game had) a keg and some table tennis/beer pong. That machine to make the robots. That toilet. A lot of items are reused or re-skinned for this pack seems like. I was hoping because we already had all of that, we would get some more that was brand new. Maybe this trailer just didn't show everything, but I have a feeling it kinda did...
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Quite a difference between what we had in Sims3 and what we have in Sims4. And that old excuse we shouldn't draw comparisons between the two because they're different iterations just isn't relevant right now. Not after five years of waiting for Sims4 to grow beyond its infancy stage. When compared to the past iterations, it doesn't measure up. It never will. My granddaughters, who all fall within EA's target demographic, play Sims2 and 3 more often than they play Sims4. Their primary reason? There is nothing to do in Sims4. The fourteen year old is playing around with creating mods for Sims3 because she likes it more, and wants to see if she can fix it. LOL I've tried a couple of those in my own game, and she is becoming quite good at it. Perhaps EA needs to pull Sims4 back to when the decision was made to take Sims4 in a different direction. Of course, I have lost count of how many times this has been done in five years, but it seems every time EA switches gears with the game, the worse it becomes.

If the next few years that are left in Sims4's run are a repeat of what we have seen this year, I don't see myself buying new packs in the future. CC and mods are free. So are all the updates being made to the base game. I'm not so desperate for new content that I'll willingly spend money for gameplay from past packs that is given a quick facelift, then passed off as 'new'. New gameplay usually means it is imaginative or innovative, and that has not been the case in Sims4. Personally, I feel new gameplay additions to the game stopped after Seasons was released. Since then the teams have done very little beyond giving us swimming in a new world. Get Famous could have been innovative, but how the fans react and how that interrupts gameplay, is over the top, and irritating when it happens every time a celebrity walks by. It becomes redundant when it happens all the time. The fact this happens so often takes away from it being something to work toward, rather than looking for a mod that stops it.

And now EA is polishing the hype train after the 'big' announcement for Discover University, hoping this pack will be a huge success on which to end the year. There wasn't much to glean from that short video. Except I saw nothing of importance that would make my game more interesting. I had an idea it wouldn't appeal to me, but I was hoping there might be something in it that I could be excited about. But it looks as if the devs added a couple objects with new interactions, then fell back to using gameplay from past packs again. Will there be new paintings for the artists? I don't know how the rest of you feel, but I am bored with the ones we have been seeing for five long years. New tv stations, perhaps? New music? No way to create Sim bands again? No bunkbeds or vending machines? Robotics looks interesting, but I doubt I would play around with it very much. Other players will love having servos, but it isn't for me. I do not expect every aspect of every pack to cater to my preferences in how I play. That isn't realistic. But I do hope to see something in a new pack that does fit my style. They had me with Glimmerbrook in RoM, but I passed because Sims on brooms in all the worlds are hard to ignore. I would have bought RoM just to have that new world if the devs had not been so gung ho in making every Sim a spellcaster without our input. And since I am already using many, many mods, and there are mods that stop this from happening, I have hit my limit as to how many mods I want to add to my game.

I watched the video several times. Maybe there will be something exciting in the next trailer, or screenshot posted on Twitter, that will change my current opinion of DU. But based on what I saw in the reveal trailer, I probably will not be purchasing this EP. And that makes me a bit sad. New packs used to be a lot of fun. Now it's become a matter of wait and see how good it is in reality, or how many mods will it take to fix it.

• ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member

Then look at this:

Worlds apart.

Sims 4 trailer looks so empty. My Husband who isn’t a simmer saw the sims 4 one and immediately asked where all the game play is.
    How sad that we have to buy University + Bowling Night with Sims 4 and still don't even come close to matching the features. Still missing so much frisbees, murphy bed, megaphone, vending machine, photo booth, backpacks and so much more and bikes were in Sims 3 base game. As I watched the Discover University trailer all I could think is why are you reusing the same features over and over in the same video obviously it was because there was nothing else to show.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member

Then look at this:

Worlds apart.

WOW! TS3 had tables in front of the chairs in classroom?? 🤔 Bummer!! 😂
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

• GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    Let there don't be bunk beds but please no rabbithole classes D; that'd be like a disaster for me.
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • CAF84CAF84 Posts: 113 Member

Then look at this:

Worlds apart.

Seeing them side by side is so depressing. The sims 3 just had so much more in it, from bigger gameplay features to small details.

Sims 3 was a hot mess on my Mac (I do appreciate how stable sims 4 is on a max!). It just kept crashing every few minutes and by the time university life came out, I could barely play it, so I don’t remember a lot of those features, but seeing sims sitting on the ground with a laptop, sitting on the ground sketching etc. It just feels so much more immersive. The multitasking in sims 4 is great (!!) but they seem so wooden as they do everything.

My big first impression complaint about Discovering University seems to mirror a lot of others’ views: it lacks any substantial additional gameplay and it’s so young adult/party focused once more. Other than a few activities (ping pong, building a robot, drinking games, cycling - which isn’t a big draw as we had that in Sims 3 base gAme for crying out loud, I refuse to get excited about something in 2019 we had in 2009 as standard, I absolutely refuse to) where is the big gameplay feature? If it’s just going to lectures and studying activities (which, I’m sorry, but are incredibly boring to play), then I am so done. We have had university two times already, we need something to really broaden the game, not a new pretty yet hollow, unreachable world, more drinking games with very little replay value and no family-play value and boring lectures/studying gameplay which is incredibly boring. This is why this pack should have been an education pack - do an expansion pack for a new active schooling/teaching pack for toddlers up to teens (with tons of new hobbies and extra curricular stuff for them too) and then do a university game pack with all the drinking games for YA.

I was excited after the trailer, but when I rewatched it I was struck by the fact that it was the world that had excited me the most - it looks beautiful - but that was the trap with Island Living. It looks beautiful, but is so boring.
  • SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited October 2019
    I hope we do get lectures/studying gameplay at the very least. I fear it will only be the clubs that are active and for lectures you can then either choose to study at home (like the freelance jobs work) or go to a rabbit hole lecture.

We simply need more things for groups of Sims to do. I keep encountering the problem that I don't know what to do with my Sims when they have their days off. In Sims 3 I barely got to try out anything because micromanaging was tough. So when micromanaging becomes easier as it is in Sims 4, I would love to have the same features (or comparable features) we have in TS3 so I can actually DO something with all that time my Sims have on their hands.

More crafts, more instruments, more sports, more group activities that cater to EVERY play style. You should be able to do every activity with a group of Sims and with all ages (toddler -> senior). The game still is not sandboxy enough, even after 5+ years and there still isn't enough free to choose gameplay. And partying is fine, but where are the other activities?

I hope you can bring your toddlers with you on campus at the very least. Not that this is very realistic, but I NEED to have choices.

P.S.: The sims on the box art look like plastic dolls.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I think they fired or scared off too many of the good people who knew what they were doing and hired some kids with no connection to the old versions. I don't see how someone can give an interview or post a message about how they worked on past versions and say that they are proud of S4 and it many limitations. Don't any of these new people have anything innovative to add to these games? I would have thought that all the NEW BLOOD would have infused the game with more energy, not make it anemic. At this rate, S5 either will never be made or be so pathetic that no one will buy it and the franchise will be dead. How can you purposely kill off what you claim is one of your best selling games. At least other game companies are growing and expanding their games. It feels like the party is over and past time to go home.
  • SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    In all honesty, I was hoping this pack would be delayed just to stop people from ranting and raving about wanting it. But that's just me. Anyway, I'm in a "wait and see" camp because the trailer that was dropped was only a teaser, so it makes sense that there's very little on show. So I think those who are getting salty about not "seeing much" in the trailer should clam down a little before they start to sound like an anti-hype train, but that's just me.
    Personally, after my own IRL experiences with University and being jerked around I'm not overly thrilled with this pack, but I'll wait and see, reserving judgement until I know all the facts.

How do you know it's just a teaser? Did EA or the gurus say this somewhere? It's 2.30 min long, so I guess it's a full trailer?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I think they fired or scared off too many of the good people who knew what they were doing and hired some kids with no connection to the old versions. I don't see how someone can give an interview or post a message about how they worked on past versions and say that they are proud of S4 and it many limitations. Don't any of these new people have anything innovative to add to these games? I would have thought that all the NEW BLOOD would have infused the game with more energy, not make it anemic. At this rate, S5 either will never be made or be so pathetic that no one will buy it and the franchise will be dead. How can you purposely kill off what you claim is one of your best selling games. At least other game companies are growing and expanding their games. It feels like the party is over and past time to go home.

I'm surprised you seem to be disappointed with this EP. You always find ways to build and or do something with some part of a pack in other parts of the game and don't really concern yourself with what isn't in a pack. For me, it's a college pack and I wonder how many degrees there really are (only three showcased in a description) and if they bring any new jobs and or apsirations to the game or just rely on what's already in the game. It would seem redundant to me to send a Sim to college just to be able to get the same old job already in base.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member

Then look at this:

Worlds apart.

The Sims 3 university trailer is 3 The sims 4 EP's + a bunch of gamepacks/stuff packs all together.. What do you mean milk that cow?

The sims 4 was designed this poorly on purpose to blend in with the hype and the new age of mobile/app like games has just began. I fear for any future games, cause it seems the era is over where videogames like TS1/TS2/TS3 exist. I am not talking about good, big and open world games, cause there are, but fully expanded simulation games. Cause for some reason The Sims is a big re flexion on their reality they like to put on us. Control over your own life, decisions, familyplay, togetherness, a whole universe blended by everyones choices instead of only your own that matters is not what the movement of this world is aspiring to.

If this does not stop and appeals to the community and their wishes and even goes worse with TS5, I will only focus on small game developers like a caring person who creates the game named Paralives. A community is always stronger anyways, they just need to wake up.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited October 2019

I'm surprised you seem to be disappointed with this EP. You always find ways to build and or do something with some part of a pack in other parts of the game and don't really concern yourself with what isn't in a pack. For me, it's a college pack and I wonder how many degrees there really are (only three showcased in a description) and if they bring any new jobs and or apsirations to the game or just rely on what's already in the game. It would seem redundant to me to send a Sim to college just to be able to get the same old job already in base.

Exactly, how I feel if I can get the job already without going sending my Sims to college. Heck then all they can do is go to college and party till the sun come out for there may no penalties involve if there is no intitatives to go and pass or achieve something that an person that never went and not achieve or get like an job in RL some require an degree. I will wait and see if this the case when more info is released.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    I'm trying to reserve judgement on this pack, and not get hyped so I won't feel the crush of disappointment and can enjoy it as it stands.....but.....

I'm really hoping that with the introduction of the education career there will at least be a spill over of this into the school system for kids and teens because this lack of age inclusion for anything that isn't a young adult is getting really tiring now. Surely if there really was no one playing with other life states the 100 baby challenge wouldn't exist or be as popular as it is. Nor would the legacy challenges or the super sim challenges. Now it's just boiling down to we don't really care. So yes, I'm hoping the pack deals with the whole of the education system, but deep down, I know it's probably not going to happen. I don't know, maybe the kids will get a thinking pose in CAS and we can count ourselves lucky.

I also hope that the Education career is an active one and we can set up our own schools for kids. I also know it's probably not going to happen.

I'm happy Robots are being included and from the look of it they are tackling disability too with the addition of bionic limbs, which if that's the case I feel it's being done right and it's being done with sensitivity and I'll take back any rant about not wanting that in game (Because it's where I go to escape my own disability) That said and may Heaven help me, I'd rather see more kid interactions, games, generational play and age dependent interactions throughout all of the life states than robots, which is something I never ever thought I'd say of the Sims. Usually the gameplay has been that detailed, that quirky, and that well done that there's been no need to harp on about wanting such things and yes, you could kick off about wanting robots and occults without feeling the need to ask for a decent amount of gameplay for those who aren't young adults. Completely off point but I played TS2 the other day and do you know what? the animations! They bend down to pick things up, they don't just levitate into their hands and into their inventories AND when they made food, it looked like the food they were making in the ingredient stage! I could go on about all of the little things there and yes that game had it's faults. TS3 when it worked had it's faults, but both of them had good basic gameplay and animations all around and unfortunately, after for the first time in ever-ness installing mods and cc into my game, it saddens me that it's come to this because once the games felt infinite. Now the game feels as though if you're not into party until you drop and then party some more, you''re looking for normal things to do....such as....I don't know...play marco polo, enroll in boarding school, talk about grandchildren.

Yeah not completely excited for University, did you guess?
  • AshurayAshuray Posts: 22 Member
    My complaint...I wanted a farming pack :'(
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member

I admit that I try to find the good, which for me is usually the build/buy stuff. But if we can't build our own dorms or Greek Houses, that does limit it for me. If any pack could produce new game play, I would have thought it would be this pack. But, as others have pointed out, it's just reusing the same programing we already have only in college. I am happy with some of the objects like the ping pong table, inventor station, stalls and a few other things. But that doesn't blind even me to the obvious lack of game play. If there was more game play, I might build less.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Bloosmoo wrote: »
    I'm trying to reserve judgement on this pack, and not get hyped so I won't feel the crush of disappointment and can enjoy it as it stands.....but.....

I'm really hoping that with the introduction of the education career there will at least be a spill over of this into the school system for kids and teens because this lack of age inclusion for anything that isn't a young adult is getting really tiring now. Surely if there really was no one playing with other life states the 100 baby challenge wouldn't exist or be as popular as it is. Nor would the legacy challenges or the super sim challenges. Now it's just boiling down to we don't really care. So yes, I'm hoping the pack deals with the whole of the education system, but deep down, I know it's probably not going to happen. I don't know, maybe the kids will get a thinking pose in CAS and we can count ourselves lucky.

I also hope that the Education career is an active one and we can set up our own schools for kids. I also know it's probably not going to happen.

I'm happy Robots are being included and from the look of it they are tackling disability too with the addition of bionic limbs, which if that's the case I feel it's being done right and it's being done with sensitivity and I'll take back any rant about not wanting that in game (Because it's where I go to escape my own disability) That said and may Heaven help me, I'd rather see more kid interactions, games, generational play and age dependent interactions throughout all of the life states than robots, which is something I never ever thought I'd say of the Sims. Usually the gameplay has been that detailed, that quirky, and that well done that there's been no need to harp on about wanting such things and yes, you could kick off about wanting robots and occults without feeling the need to ask for a decent amount of gameplay for those who aren't young adults. Completely off point but I played TS2 the other day and do you know what? the animations! They bend down to pick things up, they don't just levitate into their hands and into their inventories AND when they made food, it looked like the food they were making in the ingredient stage! I could go on about all of the little things there and yes that game had it's faults. TS3 when it worked had it's faults, but both of them had good basic gameplay and animations all around and unfortunately, after for the first time in ever-ness installing mods and cc into my game, it saddens me that it's come to this because once the games felt infinite. Now the game feels as though if you're not into party until you drop and then party some more, you''re looking for normal things to do....such as....I don't know...play marco polo, enroll in boarding school, talk about grandchildren.

Yeah not completely excited for University, did you guess?

This is actually my biggest complaint about ts4 because I love the game but they literally don't seem to understand how much the litte details mean. And simple everyday life things like walking my baby in a stroller is so much more meaningful.
    Is it really that hard to do a little animation for tag? Or comfort a crying sim in a few different ways? My sim has to talk to the mirror for comfort. Or changing a toddler on a changing table, or peekaboo instead of that throwing the toddler all around, that interaction they do when you select play with.

My kids sit around and talk like adults most of the time. How much more pleasurable would it be if while the adults were talking and doing their thing, the kids are running around chasing eachother, jumping on the couches and beds, playing with "eachother" and not an object. The most my kids do is pull buckets of paint from nowhere and dirty the floor over and over. Atleast the kid should be required to have paint in his inventory. Do kids really take buckets of paint and dump it on the floor multiple times a day? I never seen it lol.

Plus all the little missing details that makes a complete animation like bending over to pick up something as you mentioned, or a towel dispenser after washing their hands.

I never used the talking toilet or the giant telescope and never have room for those giant kid toys and spaceships. So why did they spend resources on that instead of let's say kids playing tag I wonder.

The most life I can simulate with this game is the "instagram baddie" 😂
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(