Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has Anyone Else Started Seeing Pack Trailers Like Fast Food Adds?

Alright, hear me out. So, the "Discover University" trailer just dropped today. They edited the trailer to make the pack look as good and exciting as possible. However, the only thing I found myself thinking looking at all of the features they showcased was, "You know it's not going to play like that when you get it."

It's the same feeling as watching a commercial for a fast food restaurant. They do everything in their power, from dropping clear glycerin on the vegetables to make them look kissed by the morning dew to using straight-up substitutes for the actual foods that look better when filmed, to make it look delicious. But, if you've eaten from that restaurant before, you know darn well that the veggies will be limp and dry, the burger will not fill the bun, only half (at best) of those fries will be crispy while the other half are floppy with grease, and your sandwich will be squished and lopsided. After the first 12 years of your life, you expect to feel that way about fast food commercials. Getting the same feeling about the reveal trailer for a game is just...depressing.

So, what about you? How many of you got that same "Fast Food Add" feeling from the "Discover University" trailer? How many are genuinely excited?
There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
5MNZlGQ.gif
When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.

Has Anyone Else Started Seeing Pack Trailers Like Fast Food Adds? 123 votes

Yes. I did get that jaded "Fast Food Add" feeling.
55%
CK213MadameLeeBluebeard45CamkatSimsILikeSimsNianatanakakiEvil_Onekeekee53CynnaSimQueenie9Bagoas77fruitsbasket101SumoBsuzanna13KaeChan2089JoAnne65mlmeadowsthecatsredSk8rblaze 68 votes
I kind of got that feeling, but I'm still hopeful about the pack's quality.
25%
auroraael14bekiAnmirlaMariefoxprice83CinebarKalaniCoolKhrisstyneBabykittyjadeGracieO312bixtersdoogerieLoriTSpmariajane216Horrorgirl6calipossbatmanreptarpinneduphairAtreya33Mondayparadiseplanet 31 votes
No. The trailer actually got me really excited.
15%
IceyJPlayerSinger2010KelleygirlWritin_RegDglbr1969simgirl1010MissyHissytaydevpoisonedsodapopzensluvPamtastic72thatsnotswegShadamiGamingTweetyZzMANzZRememberJoyPatricenerdfashionKimmer 19 votes
I think you need a Zoloft...
4%
SindocatSigzy05TamakiSakura84Evie0602Drakos 5 votes

Comments

• OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    I couldn't help but think of the disparity between the trailer for IL and IL reality, and have the gut feeling this will be the same thing with a different 'paint job'. As was pointed out in another topic many of the activities and animations look like those we already have from other packs.
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    I saw a lot of re-using of animations and repainted activities. I also saw some things that looked like passive play (such as robot building). We saw nothing of the classes / classrooms. There's no way to tell what areas of the world are accessible by bike / open.

A lot of the story telling elements used to show the pack seemed like just that - not gameplay. I highly doubt we can comfort crying sims in the stall. Can sims even cry in the stall?

The dorms were barely shown, so that has me worried. Why do we need another podium? I saw a bunch of artists drawing but where they set up like that, or can you practice in a group for real?

Is there an actual graduation ceremony, or is it a watered down event with a limit of like 8 sims?

Is the laptop still static and locked to desks... like a... desktop? I saw bikers but only one bike model. Is everyone forced to wear helmets? What if my sim is a rebel? Do the bikes poof into inventory when they are done riding it or does it stay where it's 'parked'?
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    thecatsred wrote: »
    A lot of the story telling elements used to show the pack seemed like just that - not gameplay. I highly doubt we can comfort crying sims in the stall. Can sims even cry in the stall?
    We can comfort sims crying in the GT walk-in closet, so maybe ? Animation looked absolutely unrelated though.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited October 2019
    That trailer did not get me excited about this pack at all. The best part of the pack is the piercings they added and maybe the bathroom stalls. Guess I will get it but I am going to watch the live stream to try to determine when I will get it. I definitely did not get the preorder or first day out purchase vibe.

EDIT: By the way the town looks like willow creek. Can we get some new trees?? OMG
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    The trailers play 0% of the part in my decision of whether or not to buy the pack so they don't really feel like advertisements to me. I thought it was a cute little overview of what sorts of things to generally expect. It didn't excite me, because it's not a pack that I care for. But that's pretty much all I thought about it.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Since advertising started it was always the bait and switch especially with food commercials. You can buy this expansion on day one knowing it may not be all that or wait to see what others that have bought it say. I'm disappointed there is no pool table not that my fat and lazy Sims would use it.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited October 2019
    It was quick but you can see at 0:18 into the video it says, "not all images appear in the game". I watched the trailer at 0.25 speed just so I could catch everything and noticed it (I didn't even see it watching it at normal speed) But I was kind of already expecting it to be like a fast-food add. That's kind of how all the trailers have been. But I do have to admit it did not excite me. And this is a pack that's a deal-breaker for me (As was seasons and I ended up getting that). I want to see what else they speak on within the next few weeks but even then they seem to always hold back when they show us gameplay and such.

https://youtu.be/VtPy-71fkSc?t=18
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    Totally agree with you! I have 0 excitement.
    edited October 2019
    thecatsred wrote: »
    Why do we need another podium?

The worst part is the fact that the "new" podium is just a recolor of one of the two podiums that came with City Living. They love to recycle objects in The Sims 4 in a ridiculous level!

• AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    I want to believe...
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    I think if you really don't like Sims 4 that is the way you see it. I see games i don't like very different than the people who do like those games. I guess it is us who has the problem just because we don't like that game - it's not the game fault - it's us who think as we do. Otherwise how can we explain the millions of games Sims 4 has sold. By the way - I like Sims 4 and do not see it remotely like that. As a lifelong vegetarian you do not even want to know what I see a hamburger - never mind oily vegetables as in commercials.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Yes, now that you mention it, that is the vibe of the way they promote the game.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I think this kind of pack trailer pattern has been really prevalent since the CL reveal trailer from 3 (yes, 3!) years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W458QnCVQik

After watching that, and forgetting about what you already knew about the pack when you got it, wouldn't you be excited too? I know I was. But expectation vs reality doesn't get much more prevalent than City Living.

1. That public park is definitely not as busy as what the trailer expresses; in fact is quite barren and that synchronized jogging was a lie.
    2. Stuff from various portions of the city are reused pack assets; they even admitted that the drink fountains from festivals are repurposed from Luxury Party stuff.
    3. I was all excited for apartments, until I was informed that you could not build your own, only decorate them, but the trailer didn't bring that up of course. Oh and the "penthouses" are basically just housing lots on top of an elevated lot space.
    4. They thought a talking toilet was a more effective use of their budget than say, functional elevators or toasters or blenders (which we still don't have yet btw).

Ever since then, I've lost my faith in the trailers, and really only rely on simmer reviews of the pack who've played it for a few weeks and prob gotten tired of it after they've had their Uni fix. No amount of fancy set dressing in trailers will get me this time; you can thank RoM for that.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
    edited October 2019
    Movotti wrote: »
    Yes, now that you mention it, that is the vibe of the way they promote the game.

Oddly me and a friend are talking on my pm about some games like Fallout 3 and how much better it was than Fallout 4 or the newest one - he mentioned great things in the 3rd game not found in the 4th or newest in much the same manner people here talk down on Sims 4. So either no company can make a good game after the 3rd one or players of these game see all games after the 3rd as bad. Glad to know it not just Sims 4.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Movotti wrote: »

Oddly me and a friend are talking on my pm about some games like Fallout 3 and how much better it was than Fallout 4 or the newest one - he mentioned great things in the 3rd game not found in the 4th or newest in much the same manner people here talk down on Sims 4. So either no company can make a good game after the 3rd one or players of these game see all games after the 3rd as bad. Glad to know it not just Sims 4.

I actually just think that this new social media era is destroying the videogame industry. At least the way we know it! But there are some companies that are trying to escape this!
    Oh look at the original trailer for every Sims base game - particularly Sims 2 - they showed all kind of things in the trailer for Sims 2 that could not happen in the game like ever. It is not just Sims 4 - it has always been done. Sims 1 showed workers building houses with sims standing around talking and looking a blue prints and big trucks delivering lumber. None of it was possible or in the game. It is something many, many trailer have done over the years including every single Sims game.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Oh look at the original trailer for every Sims base game - particularly Sims 2 - they showed all kind of things in the trailer for Sims 2 that could not happen in the game like ever. It is not just Sims 4 - it has always been done. Sims 1 showed workers building houses with sims standing around talking and looking a blue prints and big trucks delivering lumber. None of it was possible or in the game. It is something many, many trailer have done over the years including every single Sims game.

I don't deny that but things were not so commercial agressive trying to stand ot loud with big and fast shots, trying to impress everyone no matter what. Things used to be much more humble and cozier. More simple. I literally saw nothing in this trailer rather than random mini clips that don't tell me anything about gameplay. Only woohoo shower that I seriously hope is part of the patch.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    First of all, what the heck is Zoloft? And second, there have been packs that live up to expectations, unlike fast food commercials.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    First of all, what the heck is Zoloft? And second, there have been packs that live up to expectations, unlike fast food commercials.
    It is a "Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI)
    It can treat depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), social anxiety disorder, and panic disorder."

Prescription medicine. My sister takes it for her bipolar. Why it is apart of the poll I don't know *shrugs*.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Without wanting to predict the quality of this pack (we don’t know about that yet), the trailer doesn’t impress me. Cycling and ways to hang out. The scene in the toilet got me curious though. Will there actually be a way for sims to support bullied (or homesick or whatever the girl was crying about) friends? If it will add any gameplay or if it’s just an animation, that bit has me interested. As does the studying system and the effect on jobs.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Dglbr1969Dglbr1969 Posts: 854 Member
    I actually had a great time playing my game today, and am genuinely excited for University. I do, however, feel a little bit sorry for those who focus on the negative on a continual basis, life is full of disappointments, luckily some people can find some joy in the little things.
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited October 2019
    I saw a lot of animations from Sims 3. I honestly think that's not a bad thing -- I'd rather they recycle old animations if that means they can focus on other things.

I have concerns about the concept, tbh. Will your sims have to leave their households when they go to university? Or will you still have all the family members grayed out if you don't? How will time work? I am hoping that they have university be completely separate from the rest of the game, on its own time. I don't want to have to move my sims out of their households, but I definitely do not want to see the rest of the household members in gray, rabbit-hole glory.

I think I'm just thinking about all the ways that this could go badly, or, at best, be shallow. So yes, fast food. The Whopper isn't going to fill me up for long!
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited October 2019
    I think this kind of pack trailer pattern has been really prevalent since the CL reveal trailer from 3 (yes, 3!) years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W458QnCVQik

After watching that, and forgetting about what you already knew about the pack when you got it, wouldn't you be excited too? I know I was. But expectation vs reality doesn't get much more prevalent than City Living.

1. That public park is definitely not as busy as what the trailer expresses; in fact is quite barren and that synchronized jogging was a lie.
    2. Stuff from various portions of the city are reused pack assets; they even admitted that the drink fountains from festivals are repurposed from Luxury Party stuff.
    3. I was all excited for apartments, until I was informed that you could not build your own, only decorate them, but the trailer didn't bring that up of course. Oh and the "penthouses" are basically just housing lots on top of an elevated lot space.
    4. They thought a talking toilet was a more effective use of their budget than say, functional elevators or toasters or blenders (which we still don't have yet btw).

Ever since then, I've lost my faith in the trailers, and really only rely on simmer reviews of the pack who've played it for a few weeks and prob gotten tired of it after they've had their Uni fix. No amount of fancy set dressing in trailers will get me this time; you can thank RoM for that.

they did that in sims 3 as well a lot
    https://youtu.be/QMJfovTfimk
    https://youtu.be/2-AwTI7nBNU
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Lol, how do you mean :D

[/sarcasm]
    5JZ57S6.png
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    The trailers play 0% of the part in my decision of whether or not to buy the pack so they don't really feel like advertisements to me. I thought it was a cute little overview of what sorts of things to generally expect. It didn't excite me, because it's not a pack that I care for. But that's pretty much all I thought about it.

what packs would you like I've seen you talk about a lot of packs you dont want
    I'd really like to know which one you would like I want a family pack @Cupid
    more for sim kids and more drama please