Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cloudy with a chance of academic rabbitholes [trailer analysis]

thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
I'm calling it now. You won't be able to sit with your Sim in class. It's a rabbit hole. They would have shown the feature in the trailer.

Like, with IL, they didn't include hotels in the trailer -- y'know, because there were none.
My first clue [aside from there not being any class gameplay marketed in the trailer] --

mCPpMsG.png

What the heck are those chairs? Where are the desks? Don't tell me this "classroom building" has a room full of chairs. Chalkboard? Computers? And if I'm not mistaken, those chairs look familiar..

v5BQTCC.png

"Not all images appear in-game."

What the heck?? I've never seen that on a trailer before! And right in the middle of a classroom scene [or, at least I'd think it's in an academic building. What debate team gathers uniformed students in dorms..?]...

This pack doesn't really have me too excited. I'm not the biggest fan of Uni gameplay, but I don't think there's going to be much depth to this pack. It's easy. If they know it's something we've requested, or look forward to seeing, they're going to show it off in the trailer.
Like the WooHoo shower.

If they made classroom play active, they would have shown it off too.

It's going to be another social-focused pack. Parties. Friendship. Happy happy joy joy.

Sims 4 needs more tragedy and consequence.

Comments

• Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    It literally says in the description’Attend a Lecture’ which is what we could do in the Sims 3. I’m perfectly fine with only one class being active.

And yes those chairs are base game....
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I don't understand why everyone is screeching to attend classes with your sims. It was awful in TS3 when I had to keep forcing them to not fall asleep and otherwise it was... my sim sitting there listening to someone talk. That's all it would be in a Uni pack, an active high school, or an active elementary school.

So. Boring.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I don't understand why everyone is screeching to attend classes with your sims. It was awful in TS3 when I had to keep forcing them to not fall asleep and otherwise it was... my sim sitting there listening to someone talk. That's all it would be in a Uni pack, an active high school, or an active elementary school.

So. Boring.

I never played the ts3 version so it will be a new excitement for me. And I'm not all about the action I like boring things. It's an aspect that I really would enjoy having! I probably wouldn't attend everyday but it's nice to have that option just like they give us with the active careers. Sometimes I feel like going sometimes I don't. But I'm glad it says we can attend. ☺️☺️
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited October 2019
    So basically it's going to be like every other university pack?

Sims 3 university only had one open classroom, and most people found it Incredibly boring.

Sims 2 University was closed and it was by far my favorite of the 2. (I don't dislike sims 3 uni, I just love 2. )

Not a big deal to me.
    Post edited by Zeldaboy180 on
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    I prefer to not come to sit in on lectures, or at least not be forced to do it. Also, you could sit in on more in ts3, but there were only like 6 majors. If having rabbithole lectures means more majors that incorporates existing gameplay and careers rather than them having to make new stuff for fewer majors, I'm taking more majors.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Hmmm I wouldn’t honestly be upset with this. Sure I think those that want it should have the option and maybe you will, we don’t know for sure yet. However that was the one part of sims 3 university I found incredibly boring and annoying.
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    I didn't mind the Sims 3 open classroom, and that's because I played more than one sim at university. That meant while one was in class I could control the other who might be at home or out for coffee socializing. I can't imagine why one would sit there and watch if you were controlling more than one sim. I guess if you only had one sim you didn't have a choice. But even so, you could speed through it easily.

In Sims 4 I'm not sure how it would work. It depends on how open the University is I suppose. But my guess is a rabbit hole.
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Sorry but I'm not getting bent out of shape that classes will be rabbit holes. Sims 2 university had rabbit hole classes and it was one of the best expansions. I wont lose sleep that I wont have to hit "ultra speed" for 2 hour classes with loading screens in between 😆

Also the description that leaked on the xbox store mentioned presentations so that's probably what that scene was.

Also trailers have not actual gameplay footage/image disclaimers all the time. I think they exaggerated a lot of details in that trailer. Like the girl running out crying and the other girl watching and going after her.

We already know sims aren't that expressive 😓
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I'm not upset by this. As a student myself, most lectures are boring, in real life and in game.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member

Sims 3 university only had one open classroom, and most people found it Incredibly boring.

Sims 2 University was closed and it was by far my favorite of the 2. (I don't dislike sims 3 uni, I just love 4).

Not a big deal to me.

I am the opposite of you. I found Sims 3's University pack to be the superior one while Sims 2 University bored me to tears!
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Since there are other study-related activities (debates, robotics, art classes), not only partying, I'm okay with rabbithole lectures.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »

Sims 2 University was closed and it was by far my favorite of the 2. (I don't dislike sims 3 uni, I just love 4).

Not a big deal to me.

I am the opposite of you. I found Sims 3's University pack to be the superior one while Sims 2 University bored me to tears!

I thought both were good, just that Sims 2 was something else. I think it's hard to mess up a university pack, but we'll see lol.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I've seen the "not all images appear in game" text in literally every single reveal trailer I have ever watched for this game. It's nothing new.

And that doesn't seem like a classroom to me, and it seems pretty obvious that it's debate or something similar. And I'm pretty sure debate teams congregate most of the time in a school gym or similar...

And I agree, the Sims 4 is very happy. But there are many people who play to get away from bad stuff. I'd prefer the darker stuff to be left to mods.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    I dont mind rabbitholes when it comes to classes and all of that. Even debatting like in this pictures... i have a feeling its gonna turn bad in the game. Sims not even listening and anticipating in it.
    Remember the sims city living and how no one is watching the politic speech....
    Or Get Famous with the price nomination ceremony... and again how no sims is paying attention and actually sits down...
    Even getting married in the sims is like such a hassle to this day and in my game they rather dance during the ceremony then sit down and watch it.
  • Options
    IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    I have no issues with that. I liked attending class in TS3, but I also loved Uni in TS2.
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
  • Options
    graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member

So. Boring.

And I don't understand why some people think starring at the screen while your sim disappear is fun, this is a university simulation and universities in real life are boring, also you could do some things in class like take notes, ask professer a question, it's nice to be able to control and have option, it adds immersion..
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    edited October 2019
    alan650111 wrote: »

Not a big deal to me.

I agree with that. When TS2 University was released it was amazing for me and I enjoyed it so much. But I played a Sim in University again last month and it was boring - Your Sim will write their paper on their computer for a few hours, then learn a skill point and at this point you're already set up for the rest of the semester. You couldn't even really change your dorm room because it was just a ~ 3x4 tiny room. So you could either max out all skills while you're at University or make friends with everyone, but besides that there wasn't much to do. Even parties weren't really fun because in TS2 you could only ever invite 2 Sims.

TS3 University let you sit in on classes, the majors had different special objects you had to work on, you could join groups on campus (though I found them incredibly annoying outside of University :D ), you had different lessons on different weekdays, you could earn money by doing day jobs, you could have different party types in the whole University world etc.

I love both games, but TS2 University just didn't age well for me, especially in comparison to TS3 University.
  • Options
    HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    I'm pretty sure classes will be rabbit holes 'cause you know what is missing from trailer and screenshots? Professors! Who is teaching our sims???

Anyways I do not mind either variants - classes being active or classes being rabbit holes. I enjoyed attending lectures and practical classes in TS3 but I didn't mind it TS2 style as well.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    First, this was the reveal trailer and not the gameplay trailer. So we've not actually seen all that much of the actual gameplay yet.
    Second, the screenshots are from a debate event, not from classes. Debating is a separate activity to classes so that says nothing about how lectures will look.
    Third: as others pointed out, the description of the pack mentions attending classes vs working on presentations or projects.

"Not all images appear in-game." is pretty typical for game trailers, not just The Sims but others too. It's not like a movie trailer that only uses footage from the actual movie (and even movie trailers sometimes contain parts that get cut from the final product). It means that maybe this room was built to showcase debate but it won't be included in the prebuilt lots, that maybe there won't be Sims wearing specifically those outfits and being part of the debate clubs, etc.

It's an academic building, yeah. But it's just as likely to be a lounge or a library or a common room as it is a classroom (and those chairs are base game ;)). Debates take place in a variety of locations, depending on what the school has available. And yes, students will wear "uniforms" or rather clothing with the school logo, ideally clothing that I'd call "Sunday best" (blazers, shirts, ties, etc).

And anyway, just as many people requested the social activities related to university life as the education side. If anything, I've seen more requests for parties, juice stands, etc than I did for active classes. I'd wait for the gameplay trailer and more information before assuming what you did here, OP.
    Personally, if attending lectures is a rabbit hole, I won't be bothered. There's going to be stuff that Sims can actively work on for the academic side of it all.
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    unpopular opinion: active lectures would be pretty boring tho. it's like staring at the in-game aquarium for ten sim hours.
    y'all got bread?
  • Options
    DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    I had enough sitting through lectures in RL when I went to College. I'm fine with rabbit holes and would rather game the fun/social aspects of university.
  • Options
    Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I always find it funny how we complain about how boring it would be to watch Sims do stuff. We watch them do the same things all the time and it's basically the same. I remember TS2 fondly and I loved University. I don't mind Sims disappearing to go to work but I also like having the option of watching them while they are at work ala Get To Work or Active Careers.

Once they release the "gameplay trailer" we will have a better idea of what's going on in University.