Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is the sims 2 better than sims 3? what's your opinion?

Comments

• BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 199 Member
    For me it has to be sims 2, mainly because it runs really well on my lower end laptop. The sims themselves seem to have more personality and I liked the attraction system and the fact they had star signs. The other things that are awesome are the hidden lots and I love bigfoot. Sims 3 is also an amazing game and I love the open world and the stunning landscapes but I think you need mods for it. Unfortunately I have not been able to explore sims 3 fully because of my low specks, maybe one day :). As so many have said before a combination of sims 2 and 3 world be the ultimate.
  • morganlydiamorganlydia Posts: 57 Member
    In my personal opinion, I would rather play the Sims 2 than the Sims 3. I did the same exact thing as you... uninstalled the Sims 3 to play the Sims 2.
  • ShaeShae Posts: 303 Member
    edited March 2018
    I used to really enjoy playing Sims 3, but the lag was killer. I tried playing it the other day, but the game itself was so dark (even with the lighting mods and settings at the highest levels) that I couldn't make it through 30 mins. That's more of an an issue with my declining vision than the game itself I think. Because years ago when I played it, I didn't have that problem.

With Sims 2 - it runs fast, the lighting is good, plus the sims are lively and fun to play. A few years ago I probably would have given Sims 3 a higher rating, but nowadays I think Sims 2 trumps it.
    Just a visually impaired gamer who enjoys taking ordinary Sims and making them extraordinary.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WbRQP-PXDpA
  • CreampuffcatCreampuffcat Posts: 162 Member
    @JULES1111 Yep. Some psychiatrist type of guy just came into the house and she had a breakdown. I was a bit freaked out myself.
  • CreampuffcatCreampuffcat Posts: 162 Member
    It looked weird. I couldn’t tell if it was a toy store or some type of comic book place but I do only have the Sims 2. It was in Pleasant View but I can’t find the words to describe it...
  • EthropturEthroptur Posts: 53 Member
    I love both TS2 and TS3, as each one has provided me with hundreds of hours of entertainment.

TS3 has some of the best customisation in any of The Sims games bar none, and the sheer amount of game-play options (when all EPs are installed) is unparalleled in any game I've played. However, the sims themselves sometimes seem rather stale in comparison to TS2's sims - they lack the same level of personality and charm that TS2's sims had.

TS2 had a variety of game-play options that I sorely miss from TS3. Namely, businesses, talent badges and bigfoot. The sims themselves are also far more lively. However, the lack of an open world and the lack of customisation options relative to TS3 render the game difficult to play for extended periods of time. The continuous loading screens are jarring and immersion-breaking. *cough*TS4*cough*.

Overall, TS3 is my preferred game to play.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited April 2018
    Some parts of the sims 2 are better others not.
    Both gave some great expansions.

The sims 2 sims were better for me

The sims 3 expended its game so much with packs and the store content with a lot of minor gameplay
    Had better tools.
    Create a world
    Create a pattern
    Story progression.
    Larger worlds

But honestly without its 4 largest tools its no better than 2.

Both as base games are dull. Both with all packs and store are awesome. :D

Both were great for me.

50/50
    Post edited by marcel21 on
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited April 2018
    Years later, while I love the many things Sims 3 brings to the table, Sims 2 still runs better for me, has plenty of challenge and little details, has time-frozen lots (helpful with easing some gameplay), has the charming (for me) toddlers and babies, and has cool business content. I’m still a big Sims 2 fan.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Asking someone like me which I like better TS2 or TS3, is like asking me if I like ice cream or ice milk. Real cheese or imitation cheese food product. Meat or soy filled meat product. Chocolate milk or chocolate drink product. Sugar or sweetner. Orange juice or orange drink. Koolaid or flavored, bottled water. And if you ask me about TS2 and TS4 it's like asking me oranges or apples. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Years later, while I love the many things Sims 3 brings to the table, Sims 2 still runs better for me, has plenty of challenge and little details, has time-frozen lots (helpful with easing some gameplay), has the charming (for me) toddlers and babies, and has cool business content. I’m still a big Sims 2 fan.

So far the sims 2 complete including store, mods and cc runs well. 10seconds to load :)
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
    I love (and still actively play) both TS2 and 3, but I find that TS2 feels more alive.

As much as I loved TS3's open world and advanced options, I'm not a fan of the empty lots. Like, if I go to a club or festival, I want other people to be there too. And I was disappointed that we never got a proper Open For Business EP for 3, since that was one of my favourite EPs in 2.

I think that, if 3 had been developed by a company who actually cared enough about it to maximize its potential and fix all the game-breaking glitches, it would have been awesome. I'd be interested to see what would happen if a non-EA company recreated TS3 using modern technology and fixed all the bugs~ it'd be a different experience for sure.

By comparison, 4 feels incomplete, like a sloppy mobile port. It's a huge step back from both 2 and 3~ if I knew nothing about The Sims franchise at all, I'd probably think that 4 was actually TS2, 2 was 3, and 3 was 4 (since the next game in a series is supposed to be an improvement on the last iteration, not a downgrade).

Someone who's not EA needs to create a new life simulator. If EA actually had competition, maybe they'd actually take the time to do things properly, instead of releasing these glitch-ridden messes we players have come to expect from them.
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    If I ever strike it rich, the first thing on my list to do is make a new Sims game. :smiley:
  • MeLoveDaSimsMeLoveDaSims Posts: 1 New Member
    Honestly I've been playing the sims and sims 2 since it came out on playstation 2 when i was 9-10 years old. And im 22 lol and not too long after like around 12 I was playing the pc version. I fell on love with sims 2 it will always have a special place in my heart. I just recently purchased sims 3 and i love the game its been growing on me. But i think ts2 is better.
  • EcaEca Posts: 155 Member
    Sims in TS2 are more realistic at acting compared to Sims in TS3. But TS3 gives more freedom. I think both are perfect games and I play both.
    giphy.gif
    Crystal Cover from Tumblr
  • XnexusnyxXXnexusnyxX Posts: 4 New Member
    TL;DR answers
    Subjectively: They're equal to me.
    Objectively: Sims 2 is better.

Full answer
    I have an equal love with both - subjectively. Notice how I say subjectively. The reason why I love them equally is because they're the same game. Sims 2 and Sims 3 have the exact same gameplay and content. The only difference between them is the technology used to create them.

Objectively speaking, however, Sims 2 wins, because it's not absolute garbage. Somehow, the older technology of Sims 2 runs well even to this very day, while the more modern technology of the Sims 3 has never and will never run - much less run well. It's fairly easy to play a smooth game of the Sims 2, with all of its packs included. But there's no way of ever playing a smooth game of Sims 3 with all packs included, because the very program itself is literally worthless in every way. The Sims 3 runs more like a project by a fresh college kid than a team of developers with years under their belt. The Sims 3 can be considered an absolute disgrace in the world of technology because of how poorly it runs, but the Sims 2 could easily be praised for its accomplishments. Plus, you don't need a thousand dollar PC to run the Sims 2 well. You can run the game on a toaster and it'd still run well. For the Sims 3, to even be able to play it at all you will need a very expensively made PC, specifically a desktop. There is no laptop that can even hope to run Sims 3, not even those designed for gaming. But even with the most expensive everything, the Sims 3 will still fail you far more than the Sims 2, because at its very core it is trash covered up with pretty colors to make it seem playable.
  • WarGreymon77WarGreymon77 Posts: 127 Member
    edited September 2019
    Honestly, I hate The Sims 3.

* Rabbitholes. I wanted to follow my Sim to work, but this is not what I had in mind.
    * Open world where my Sims' lives carry on without me just because I'm playing a different family at the moment.
    * The little sound effect that plays every time something happens. (more of a musical jingle I guess)
    * The horrendous faces. How shall I describe them? Too smooth?
    * Not getting to choose my Sim's mode of transportation: sometimes he takes his car, sometimes a taxi, sometimes a bike.
    * Personality replaced by a tiny number of traits.
    * I know the personality points system isn't perfect, but I don't think this is how you fix it.
    * The Sims 3 and Sims 4 both feel like empty, shallow, soulless games compared to The Sims 2. Others probably feel different, but that's me.
  • simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    pringtjoe wrote: »
    Hi all i was just wandering if you think sims 2 is better than sims 3 as i just uninstalled all my sims 3 games to install sims 2 games :)

If I had only known that each game was stand alone and I could have them all installed I would still have my Sims 2 families and houses. Unfortunately I did not know how to save packages so I have tried everything to get the sims 2 saves back but my families and houses and neighborhoods will not show up. That said I like them each for different reasons.
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited September 2019
    I think so. It might not be better in terms of graphics and the build mode features, but there are so many things that I feel The Sims 3 is missing, even with the number of fluff expansions that they keep putting out. I like The Sims 3, but to me, The Sims 3 doesn't even belong in the same category as The Sims and Sims 2. I'm just glad that The Sims 3 is almost over. Maybe EA will redeem themselves with The Sims 4. :D

And here we are saying the same thing about TS5.

Ironic, no?

(I know this is an old thread but wanted to answer this as it’s still rather relevant lol)

—T
  • PatricePatrice Posts: 361 Member
    Ican't compare, i started sims3 on the wii
  • nightowl1nightowl1 Posts: 89 Member
    I enjoy the Sims 3 for it's traits and voice alteration, and I do like the Supernatural Expansion with all of its occults too. You've got a direct controls mod someone created for the Sims 3 which really changes the immersion and I cannot live without it, so that's a plus. The fact you can change hair colour and the colour of furniture and clothes with a colour wheel offers you move freedom, exploring the world offers more freedom. Honestly, there are more good points in the Sims 3 than I can even think of with the Sims 4 (I know, we aren't talking about the Sims 4... but still.)

As for 2 it's just a lot more charming, so much more depth and little quirks that makes the game amusing even when you're playing such a depressive storyline, once you hear that gibberish talk it just cheers you up - honestly you cannot take them seriously with a voice like that. There's always things ready to be discovered, I like the NPCs because they just have their little jobs to fulfil, makes it so much easier having an NPC take the role of a bartender or newspaper delivery service instead of some randomly generated townie that still takes up a place in a household. It just makes the game more organised, which means more memory saved.

I like how you're able to remove CC directly from the game by deleting it, something that is missing from Sims 3 and 4. What the heck? That's the most useful feature there is! The music is good, the social interactions are a lot more in-depth than the newer ones. I'm a lot more connected to my sims lives in this game than 3 and 4, finally I find myself caring about them instead of treating them like emotionless dolls especially in 4, I keep trying to like them but there just isn't anything that is new or stands out. You can never go wrong with the Sims 2, beyond corrupted game files, this one is still the best.

Honestly, playing this game as a child I never realised how good it was. It had blown me away when I picked it back up again earlier this year! You just never realise how good things are until you appreciate them years later. <3
  • Maus652Maus652 Posts: 226 Member
    I have not got many EPs or Stuff Packs for TS3, only the complete set for TS2... while I do enjoy elements of TS3, I do keep getting drawn back to the simplicity, almost, of TS2.

Depends what I fancy doing.
    moPdFIb.jpg
    📷Photographer | Lexophile | 📚Book worm | ❄✊🐭
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I had never played a sims game on PC when I bought Sims 4 in early 2015. I loved it, later on I got Sims 3, I got a starter bundle, played it a bit and I added a few packs over the next year. Then I got 2 UC from Origin and played it a bit for awhile.

So, essentially, I played all the versions in reverse. Sims 4 is my favorite, IMHO, it's because I developed my play style on 4 and the others are different, so required me to unlearn how I played a bit.

Honestly, I think how you like to play has a lot to do with whether you like one or the other the best.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • kendallrankendallran Posts: 125 Member
    Honestly TS2. I think the main reason people would choose TS3 is open world but gameplay wise I think TS2 tops it. I still have a heart for TS3 though
  • bluzkat65bluzkat65 Posts: 483 Member
    TS2 has many things that 3 or 4 can't compare to. I miss the baby and toddler interactions, the way the sims would look at the camera so unexpectedly, their little personality quirks. They obviously cared about the game back then, but have since lost that spark. I miss all of that.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited November 2019
    I love TS2, the personalities and the love they gave to it. I love TS3 there's so much to do. Both are amazing games.
    Lu4ERme.gif