Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Quality wise only, is the Sims Franchise dead?

Comments

• MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    edited October 2019
    Other
    The argument that because it was buggy in the iteration it existed we plain remove it actually serves EA and their minimum effort policy and I will never agree with this. When something doesn't work, we don't give it up. We do what it takes to improve it and eventually make it work.

Open world was buggy in the Sims 3 because it was poorly executed. Instead of removing that feature from the Sims 4, they should have made it their priority to work on it and make it function properly. Most games are open world nowadays and they work! So the buggyness was a shallow excuse. Same for underwater lots. Correctly programmed, they wouldn't have been so laggy and bug friendly. But again, instead of working on it to improve it they gave the feature up. That's lazyness at best.

I was giving my reason why that element doesn't bother me.

I can definitely understand where you're coming from - the concept of an open world was brilliant. I was merely pointing out why that doesn't bother me - I wasn't speaking generally. I do understand how frustrating it is, I just personally felt like the method chosen in Sims 4 was an excellent compromise. But that's just me.
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2019
    Yes, it's over
    I can see how anyone can't stand loading screens when they started this series with TS3. Going backwards would be such a shock to that type of player, I would think. However, starting with The Sims, way back, I'm not that bothered by loading screens. It's conditioning the player to accept what they never missed. Someone who played TS3 first must get a very hard jar when playing the older games or even TS4. But what does bother me is the way TS4 is setup to let the Sim walk right up to the door of the neighbor's house (almost) I mean some of those boundary lines are right at another Sim's door. Some don't have a yard out front but the door is right there, so close you could touch it. Then go through a loading screen. It would seem to me I should be able to ring that bell (if there was one) when my Sim's arm looks long enough to knock on that door. But I can't. That is very annoying. TS4 was supposed to be this amazing, innovative game, and not being able to just reach out and knock on those doors that are right there, at arm's length, should have been possible.

A bug exists in the game where I had one of my Sims break into a vacant house. When game was first released. I'm not sure how I did it, (no cheats) but was able to get her into a home in the desert, I could see some transparent furniture, and somehow she was able to squeeze herself through an opening somewhere in that house and use the upstairs bathroom. I do mean my in game camera was able to go up to 2nd level and get into that house and use the bathroom. (She went through some backdoor, or opening downstairs patio). So, it is possible if the bug exists then it means it is possible so I can hardly buy the idea that upper floors are actually separate lots...because I proved it in 2014 or 2015 to myself there is a flaw in programming which could allow them to open up neighbors' houses, or at least vacant ones.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited October 2019
    *Puts Rachael Franklin hat*

Sims in The Sims 4 can talk while doing other things like never before. We felt like it's the next step and revolutionary that replace the redundant system over open world addition. It helps Sims build friendships while running a treadmill or bartering, despite it not providing benefit further. We also thought it was brilliant idea for multitasking to extend the time doing the activity (such as cooking) whilst socializing than without the latter. *takes it off*

If they were dead on sticking with the idea of cleaning environment in CL, they could have worked it further than half-arsening just about anything. Like a way you could profit in sense of reusing the waste to unlock specific accessories in CAS for personal ,and the dynamic where it allows you to play an Evil Sim that spitefully trashes beaches with the dynamic that strengthes such story mechanically. Don't tell me with how such concept was delivered in the game, a uninteresting politically lecturing feature is a worthy trademark over the engaging depths of visible dive lots. Besides, how does trashed beach in barebone game teach me about the importance of why people should stop littering waters and start cleaning them? Does the expansion pack even offers the actual consequence like global warning, or just shows that littering makes beaches just as ugly as your uncleaned room. Yeah, kewl - great teaching turn, I so much learned that aquatic life literally suffers from plastic and that the waste causes Antarctica to melt.
    Post edited by DragonCat159 on
    NNpYlHF.jpg
    Yes, it's over
    *Puts Rachael Franklin hat*

Sims in The Sims 4 can talk while doing other things like never before. We felt like it's the next step and revolutionary that replace the redundant system over open world addition. It helps Sims build friendships while running a treadmill or bartering, despite it not providing benefit further. We also thought it was brilliant idea for multitasking to extend the time doing the activity (such as cooking) whilst socializing than without the latter. *takes it off*

If they were dead on sticking with the idea of cleaning environment in CL, they could have worked it further than half-arsening just about anything. Like a way you could profit in sense of reusing the waste to unlock specific accessories in CAS for personal ,and the dynamic where it allows you to play an Evil Sim that spitefully trashes beaches with the dynamic that strengthes such story mechanically. Don't tell me with how such concept was delivered in the game, a uninteresting politically lecturing feature is a worthy trademark over the engaging depths of visible dive lots. Besides, how does trashed beach in barebone game teach me about the importance of why people should stop littering waters and start cleaning them? Does the expansion pack even offers the actual consequence like global warning, or just shows that littering makes beaches just as ugly as your uncleaned room. Yeah, kewl - great teaching turn, I so much learned that aquatic life suffers from plastic and that the waste causes Antarctica to melt.

lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    Being critical of the game doesn’t mean we don’t like the game! It’s a bit crazy to think that liking something means bypassing all its flaws. And actually quite dangerous. I personally have more than 1500 hours on the Sims 4 on Origins. I play the game almost daily. I have lots of fun with it. I can’t even go back to the Sims 3 that looks and feels too old now. I tried but the graphics and lagging made my eyes bleed.

I truly like the Sims 4.

This is a very good point that I think a lot of people here don't really think about.

I've got nearing 4k hours on sims 4. Easily my most played sims game to date, and I've played them all.

I LOVE the Create-A-Sim features in sims 4, I'm CONSTANTLY making sims, figuring out who they are, what they like, their color schemes, favorite accessories, hairstyles, clothing, etc. I make a whole story for each sim I make in CAS, because that's a LOT of fun for me, way more fun than I had in previous games making sims - each one of my dozens of sims looks like a unique person that maybe I could meet in real life, pass by on the street. I love that.

I also really love the building in sims 4! It's soooo user friendly, it's intuitive, and it's FUN. Building is fun!! There's some bugs n issues that crop up sometimes (disappearing fences, issues with the new stairs + railings, no foundation connected to foundation walls, etc) but overall the game's build/buy is FUN. I spend so much time building a house from scratch, doing landscaping, and decorating each house to suit the sims I make, down to the littlest clutter detail.

I am here on suggestions because I want ALL parts of the game to feel this great! If I hated the game I wouldn't fight so hard for it to be better, when I KNOW it can have more depth. Base game changes CAN be made, if only the devs saw profit in it. I wish they would.
  • AyeffenAyeffen Posts: 258 Member
    Other
    Joining a bit late to this thread but I will explain my choice of vote..

I think if you're expecting really ground-breaking game design from The Sims franchise in 2019 then you're going to be very unhappy.

No matter how the content might update to fit the times/changing marketplace - it will essentially be the same game over and over. But surely everyone here knows this and it's the main reason why you've continued playing because on the whole, you're getting exactly what you expect?

I feel that in some way, the online and creative community which supports The Sims is a big part of why the versions and packs keep coming and perhaps at sub-par quality. The almost disposable nature of these anthology games is commensurate with the amount of time is spent on producing the game. The minute the latest EP is out people are desperate for something else to keep it fresh.

I would be very happy for there to be a decent break for the franchise so that the right resources are committed and innovation takes the idea of The Sims and delivers it in a fresh way - or perhaps circumstances where other simulators by indie developers can have their day in the sun. In that case, there will be a focus on quality of product rather than the deluge of paid-for DLC maybe.

1NraNSJ.png
    My Gallery 🏠 | Gamer 🎮 | Husband 👬
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I no longer have hope for Sims 4 but Sims 5 is (probably) coming and can change everything
    As far as brand new for the Sims franchise has been mainly CAS focused features like pregnant Sims being able to wear any outfit and the gender update making unisex clothing options possible. Skills trees for supernaturals are new too. There are a lot of new high tech objects like the rooms and streaming devices. Lint fires are a new way to kill Sims. Island Living came with two new weather types monsoon and volcanoes and environment conservation. Realm of Magic came with the first floating world. Club feature is new. I admit it is really hard to think of brand new features and never seen before designs.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2019
    Other
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    But new clearly doesn’t guarantee quality.
    Why clearly? I'm sorry but that's implying a universal fact, again. Myself and others don't share that opinion.
    What I'm getting at here is the opinions that the game is bad, terrible and poor quality is being presented as fact. It's giving the impression that those of us who don't agree should get off the forums because we're sub-human or something. I know the game isn't everyone's cup of tea but we're allowed to disagree with each other's opinions without being told, not in so many words, that we're wrong.

My opinion might not align with yours, or many others. It doesn't mean this is a bad game. It just isn't what you were expecting, nor is it your cup of tea. Which is fine, the endless violent games are mind-numbing and senseless to me but I don't tell people they're wrong to like them. I wish companies would stop producing them but they're popular, so they're here to stay. It would be wrong of me to start telling everyone who played them that they're wrong, or the companies are manipulating them into buying them and therefore I don't do it.

What I'm saying here is that what is 'clearly' lacking to other people isn't to some us. Nobody's right or wrong - just entitled to their individual, personal opinion. The poll was biased in favour of those who despise the game and have hated it from release date. The rest of us are allowed to like the game though and we're allowed to say so without having 'statements' stuffed in our faces.
    Why clearly? Because it doesn’t. New ideas don’t guarantee quality. Not in general and not concerning the example you gave, because Carl’s has some quite founded issues with that feature. Doesn’t mean you have to agree with him, but you were suggesting a new feature in itself proves quality isn’t dropping (bolding ‘new idea’). A new idea however, I repeat, is not necessarily a guarantee for quality. If you want to point out why that feature has quality there is only one way of arguing: explain why it has high quality. The fact it’s new doesn’t mean anything in that respect. It’s not an argument. That’s what I meant.

ETA: oh, by the way, nobody is giving the impression anyone should ‘get off the forums because we're sub-human or something’, you really shouldn’t put that in anyone’s mouth. Especially when it’s actually the critics who are literally and frequently told to leave this place. I’ve never ever seen one critic say (or even suggest) the same, nor implying anyone here is “sub-human” (whatever that even is).
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Other
    So here's my general observation.
    I posted here after a long hiatus shortly after opening the Sims 4 for the first time.
    My first impressions weren't great, and I posted as much, and got kind words from people who felt the same.
    However after playing for a minute I noticed many improvements the game offered which were interestingly met with hostile resistance merely for posting my opinion.

Now a few years later some of my initial objections have disappeared due to the massive improvements they have made to the game
    since.

It really sticks in my craw how the very crowd I was championing during the transition from TS2 to TS3 begging them to give it a chance before judging, are the people who turned on me once I had kind words to say about TS4 after giving it a try.

A new game isn't going to make things better. I'm convinced that this forum has created a culture of chronic complainers that care more about voicing their displeasure with this thing or that...than actually playing the game on it's own merits. Or *gasp playing the version of the game they claim to adore.

That latter sentiment has made me a villain out here. and quite frankly I've stopped caring about it.

• TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    edited October 2019
    calling it now, simgurugrant was taking this franchise on the wrong direction. interesting how a talking about a single in-game object like a bathroom stall can say a lot about a company and where it's headed to.

y'all got bread?
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited October 2019
    Yes, it's over
    calling it now, simgurugrant was taking this franchise on the wrong direction. interesting how a talking about a single in-game object like a bathroom stall can say a lot about a company and where it's headed to.

The last tweet is the real mvp.

Stalls taking a lot of resources to make because of a door animation? Either one, this game is an absolute nightmare to develop for, for some dumb ridiculous reason; two, the team developing for this game is just not that competent; or 3, they have to be lying straight to our faces.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    Yes, it's over
    Honestly, that simguru has ruined the Sims 4. And if he's working on the Sims 5, as rumor has it, we're doomed. His vision of the sims is not mine.

I still remember when he left The Sims 3 development team and a thread popped up on ModTheSims where people celebrated his departure. You can still find it quite easily.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited October 2019
    Yes, it's over
    Lol I always felt like grant feels bitter towards the people for whatever reason. Maybe they complain or demand too much and his patience is thin.
    I don't accuse people of what I don't know but I always "felt" like he held back or did things on purpose.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    Yes, it's over
    I never liked grant. Even in TS3 era.
    edited October 2019
    Other

After all It's just one guy with a simple request right? B)
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Yes, it's over
    Renato10 wrote: »
    I never liked grant. Even in TS3 era.

Yeah, With ts4 I have become woke with the "contributions" of certain people to the franchise.
    Yes, it's over
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    I posted here after a long hiatus shortly after opening the Sims 4 for the first time.
    My first impressions weren't great, and I posted as much, and got kind words from people who felt the same.
    However after playing for a minute I noticed many improvements the game offered which were interestingly met with hostile resistance merely for posting my opinion.

Now a few years later some of my initial objections have disappeared due to the massive improvements they have made to the game
    since.

It really sticks in my craw how the very crowd I was championing during the transition from TS2 to TS3 begging them to give it a chance before judging, are the people who turned on me once I had kind words to say about TS4 after giving it a try.

A new game isn't going to make things better. I'm convinced that this forum has created a culture of chronic complainers that care more about voicing their displeasure with this thing or that...than actually playing the game on it's own merits. Or *gasp playing the version of the game they claim to adore.

That latter sentiment has made me a villain out here. and quite frankly I've stopped caring about it.

What bothers me if I voice any complaints about the vanila game so many play with mods they don't even remember how bad the vanilla game can be with our overly happy, happy Sims who don't relate to death, cheating or much of anything, nor do they remember the culling nightmares, because their mod turned it off five years ago, (happens every Sunday) nor do they remember some bugs are still in game since 2014 (they have mods) nor do they see some bugs (they have mods) where every time something is fixed years later, it is broken or a previous feature in a pack is broken again and again, but they have mods. If none of this wasn't legit I would have just went away but the things I do like about TS4 keep getting broke and my Sims are always too happy and walk over dead bodies. But I do refuse to install a mod to help me feel like it's ok to buy more of the same.

Other
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Uzone27 wrote: »

since.

What bothers me if I voice any complaints about the vanila game so many play with mods they don't even remember how bad the vanilla game can be with our overly happy, happy Sims who don't relate to death, cheating or much of anything, nor do they remember the culling nightmares, because their mod turned it off five years ago, (happens every Sunday) nor do they remember some bugs are still in game since 2014 (they have mods) nor do they see some bugs (they have mods) where every time something is fixed years later, it is broken or a previous feature in a pack is broken again and again, but they have mods. If none of this wasn't legit I would have just went away but the things I do like about TS4 keep getting broke and my Sims are always too happy and walk over dead bodies. But I do refuse to install a mod to help me feel like it's ok to buy more of the same.

Out of curiosity how many packs do you have installed?
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    Other
    Sounds like the same complaints we heard with Sims 3 - but I think if people who feel that way they need to go find a different game for a while. I love the Sims games and do not feel that way at all. I enjoy every day I get to play my Sims games so i fail to understand that statement. The games do not have to play themselves, we can fully guide them to play however we want them to so why blame just the games? It's still a sandbox game and can be what ever we want them to be.

I see a lot of real interesting stories here people share - and all are very different than my stories (which I generally keep to myself.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Yes, it's over
    I think half the issue and the reason for complaint is because no matter how well you guide your sim, the responses are always the same.

I.e I make Bob cheat on Eliza. Eliza may do an angry stomp but she will still get whims to flirt with Bob afterwards and will happily woohoo with him.
    I make Bella cheat on Mortimer with Bob. Mortimer may do an angry stomp but he will still get whims to flirt with Bella and will happily woohoo with her.
    (He will even text Bob and congratulate him on his new girlfriend Bella)

Cassandra and Alexander simply will not care or react to the fact their Mother has left them and ran away to StrangerVille with Bob.

Mortimer dies when the kids are at school. The kids come home and they they don’t notice nor care. Apparently they are sad but the little blue sad moodlet is lost in amongst the happy moodlets. Better make the kids go and notice and react because they won’t do it themselves!

For me, the above examples demonstrate exactly why blame is put at the games door. It deserves it. Those examples may be extreme but this is a life simulation game (allegedly) and any sim in those scenarios always behave the exact same way. The player should not have to imagine sims have emotional responses to life events and life in general when emotions were a big selling point of this game. If the player has to tell their characters how to respond and they don’t believe in their emotional responses then that’s a huge problem. Blame the game, not the player for game design like lack of consequence. I think it says everything when there are mods out there designed to give your sims consequences.
  • SempophaiSempophai Posts: 18 Member
    I no longer have hope for Sims 4 but Sims 5 is (probably) coming and can change everything
    I'd like to think 5 will be better, but, it'll probably just be another rehash, stripped of any real character and repackaged into small packages with premium price tags and minimal content.
    Other
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Sounds like the same complaints we heard with Sims 3 - but I think if people who feel that way they need to go find a different game for a while. I love the Sims games and do not feel that way at all. I enjoy every day I get to play my Sims games so i fail to understand that statement. The games do not play themselves they play as we guide them to play so why blame just the games?
    Or... complaints about Sims 3 were just as justified. I love that game in spite of its flaws. It's still flaws though. I see people on Twitter acknowledging Sims 4 shortcomings and still declaring they love the game. That is possible. I know it is, because it's like that for me with Sims 3. And if those flaws were inevitable, ok. But I don't think they are, inevitable.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Other
    I did some math the other day. I watched that release trailer for DU. So did 40k other people. 40k x $40... you can do the math just as easy as I can, and in no way did one DLC cost them 1.6 million to make so you can imagine the types of profits they are seeing. (Of course not all of those people will buy it at full price, and others who didn't watch it will so it will likely equal out or be even more money in their pockets, certainly not less than that I would imagine). Yes there's employees to pay, equipment for work etc, but again, not 1.6m worth. I'm thinking EA can very well afford to pump some money back into bug fixes and fix TS4, probably even re-work it so it's not so shallow. Much more than what we actually see for fixes, and now they even save money on packing because they're not shipping discs! (Oh and the money saved on discs too!) Will they though? Likely not.

All that money though, in no way is this franchise dead. Probably far from it. Some of us are tired of their shenanigans but 40k people just to watch one release trailer (and that's just as it launched, never mind after)... Some of us might not like the direction it's going, but I don't think it's going to stop anytime soon either. For every me they lose, they probably just gain 2 or 3 more.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
    Other
    I watched that trailer a couple of times now and I'm not going to buy the pack. I bet that goes for more people. But yeah, I think this game sells greatly.
    5JZ57S6.png